Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe

Mister Chief posted:

Doesn't Kibe write the scripts for the show? How could he think Cammy was introduced in Street Fighter 4?
Well, she was introduced in the fourth entry in the Street Fighter 2 series, maybe there was some confusion there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Maybe Cammy didn't appear on a Sega console so Kibe didn't know about her?

rdbbb posted:

With the DVD almost officially out, I should have something on the whole KOTAK kerfuffle tomorrow.

Looking forward to it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

Doesn't Kibe write the scripts for the show? How could he think Cammy was introduced in Street Fighter 4?

I was wondering if they got Cammy mixed up with another character, myself. Of course the amazons look like Cammy but maybe someone thought they looked more like a different character introduced in SF2.

This is one of the few times where Arino was right about a game and Kibe was wrong. I hope that when the Japanese fans wrote their angry messages on the Internet about the mistake that Arino got to rub it in.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Once again, another great episode thanks to SAGCCX. It was another one that I've already seen, but it's nice to have it translated. :)

Also, I asked this a while back (maybe it was in the previous thread) and didn't get an answer, but what is the piano song that plays in the beginning of the segment where Arino and that woman do dramatic readings of scenes from games? I really want to think it's from one of the Final Fantasy games, but I can't put my finger on it.

Random Stranger posted:

Here's a preview of a release coming up this week that I just had to share:

That screencap is somewhat horrifying. :stare:

Mister Chief posted:

He also thought that Simon was the Belmont in Castlevania 3 in one of the segments that showed a few games that came out in a certain year (I have no idea what those segments are called :().

VVV I never noticed that until now... Thanks RS! :doh:

Obeast fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Oct 1, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Obeast posted:

He also thought that Simon was the Belmont in Castlevania 3 in one of the segments that showed a few games that came out in a certain year (I have no idea what those segments are called :().

It was shown in the first two seasons clearly and it's written in very faint letters in the background since then. Those segments are called "Game Collection".

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
In the arcade trip in the Comix Zone episode, Arino and Tani were actually playing The Last Blade 2, not the first one. Kibe!! :argh:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shock Trooper posted:

In the arcade trip in the Comix Zone episode, Arino and Tani were actually playing The Last Blade 2, not the first one. Kibe!! :argh:

That one's on Kibe again. The kanji they print for the title is "華の剣士" but the actual title of the game they are playing is "幕末浪漫第二幕月華の剣士". The first game was "幕末浪漫月華の剣士". "二幕" essentially means "act 2" so they left out the detail that indicated which Last Blade game it was.

I think Kibe just hates fighting games.

(Actually if I had caught that one I would have changed it since the printed title could have been any of the Last Blade games. And I should have caught that one; I played a lot of the Dreamcast version...)

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
A lot of the design decisions in Comix Zone that most people dislike like "lose HP when you attack something" and "enemies block a lot"... well, personally speaking, I believe it's because the game isn't really a beat-em-up and shouldn't be played like one.

No, really, it's actually a "puzzle" game at heart. In most panels, there's usually an item or an environmental object (like say, rotating fan blades or pitfalls) that you can use to easily one-shot most enemies. For those panels where there's no option but to fight I noticed the enemies block a lot less.

Once you have that mind set that you should be looking around to see if there's anything interesting in the background the game becomes MUCH easier.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

farfromsleep posted:

Well, she was introduced in the fourth entry in the Street Fighter 2 series, maybe there was some confusion there?

At this point, can we just start referring to all iterations of Street Fighter 2, starting with Street Fighter 2 Non-whatever Edition, as "Street Fighter X" with X being whatever the number would be in chronological order?

Barely anybody even remembers or has played the first Street Fighter. Street Fighter 2 is the first Street Fighter, every subsequent game is a sequel, even if they're identical games.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Mister Chief posted:

It was probably just a convenience thing in narration, it might have screwed timing to say that Cammy was introduced in Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting or whichever goddamn one it was

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

redmercer posted:

It was probably just a convenience thing in narration, it might have screwed timing to say that Cammy was introduced in Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting or whichever goddamn one it was

The one that added new characters is pretty simple to remember. It's just Super Street Fighter 2.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

elf help book posted:

The one that added new characters is pretty simple to remember. It's just Super Street Fighter 2.

Which is the fourth version of Street Fighter 2. You have Street Fighter II, Street Fighter 2:Championship Edition, Street Fighter 2:Turbo, and Super Street Fighter 2.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Being the fourth version of Street Fighter 2 makes it Street Fighter 5 then, smart guy!

hsvprodigalson
Sep 8, 2011
Any possibility that he was referring to C. Viper from SF4? She has long red hair in a ponytail of sorts, and does resemble the "amazon" characters.

If I could post an attachment I would...

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Tewratomeh posted:

At this point, can we just start referring to all iterations of Street Fighter 2, starting with Street Fighter 2 Non-whatever Edition, as "Street Fighter X" with X being whatever the number would be in chronological order?

Barely anybody even remembers or has played the first Street Fighter. Street Fighter 2 is the first Street Fighter, every subsequent game is a sequel, even if they're identical games.

So, Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition becomes Street Fighter 3? And Street Fighter 3 becomes Street Fighter 7? :psyduck:

And where does Alpha fit into this?!

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Uh, sure...so how about that episode, guys? :yayclod:

Comix Zone is one of those games that completely bypassed me as a kid since I never owned a Sega console; there's really nothing more 80s/90s than a game with a single life. Also with regard to the ending: I loved it. I am a sucker for games with "bad endings" and seeing the girl drowned in the back seems like relatively harsh stuff for a game, even back then.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

Comix Zone is one of those games that completely bypassed me as a kid since I never owned a Sega console; there's really nothing more 80s/90s than a game with a single life. Also with regard to the ending: I loved it. I am a sucker for games with "bad endings" and seeing the girl drowned in the back seems like relatively harsh stuff for a game, even back then.

Not only drowned, but also burned alive with the fuel as the rockets launch and destroy the comic book world.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I played one of the games featured in the "Collection" segments just now:

It's pretty fun, but I can't get past the first castle :(

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Nickoten posted:

So, Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition becomes Street Fighter 3? And Street Fighter 3 becomes Street Fighter 7? :psyduck:

And where does Alpha fit into this?!

Street Fighter Alpha: Street Fighter 1.1
Street Fighter Alpha 2: Street Fighter 1.2
Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold: Street fighter 1.25
Street Fighter alpha 3: Street Fighter 1.3
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Upper: Street Fighter 1.35
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Double Upper: Street Fighter 1.35.25
Hyper Street Fighter Alpha: Street Fighter 1.45.22.5

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I can't tell if you're joking or if they really made that many Alpha games. :psyduck:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Bocc Kob posted:

I can't tell if you're joking or if they really made that many Alpha games. :psyduck:

I might even be missing a few.

Oh hey look what's in my email.

What could these runes possibly mean?!

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.

Bocc Kob posted:

Arcade hardware revisions are a motherfucker, ain't they?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Gutcruncher posted:

Take this incantation to your mailbox

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

Hey, look what's in my email:

Dammit.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
There's also Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha though it's not actually part of the SF Alpha series (it was really fun, though!).

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

hsvprodigalson posted:

Any possibility that he was referring to C. Viper from SF4? She has long red hair in a ponytail of sorts, and does resemble the "amazon" characters.

If I could post an attachment I would...

It's almost certainly this - Arino says she looks like Cammy, and the narrator says she looks more like a SF4 character.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Chococat posted:

Dropping the first wave of swag into the post in about 15 hours! zari-gani, Vlaphor, Xamphear, Humongous Pear and Joshuadel should have exciting surprises soon! I've sent messages out to the remaining people about their items.

I got my stuff today! It is awesome! You are awesome! The surprise made me laugh out loud.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Here's the thing I mentioned last night.

Dizzybone
Nov 24, 2007

Good work Ray, hopefully it reaches the people who needed to hear it!

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Benly posted:

It's almost certainly this - Arino says she looks like Cammy, and the narrator says she looks more like a SF4 character.

Maybe Kibe is legally blind. :confused:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

It means that it's time. Everyone on the SA team, insert your secret keys and turn them in 3... 2...

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Bocc Kob posted:

I believe he is in fact missing the GBA and PSP versions which added new characters. But hey, thanks to the modern technology that is the decimal system, that's not even an issue! :unsmith:

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.

Though I'm not who your article is aimed at (though I felt generally disappointed by the kotaku episodes, I was super excited that anyone was making some sort of effort), I just wanted to say that this is a really well written article and I'm really glad you wrote it. Hopefully it'll reach the people it needs to and that maybe they reconsider their attitude.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Discotek's DVD's are shipping so it's time for some additional support. Obviously (as Ray covered) Discotek's license only covers the challenge segments. Everything else in these episodes is unlicensed and we know how much people want to see it. So here's the first in a series of videos covering the material that Discotek can't use. This covers everything except Mystery of Atlantis from episode 1.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 230.96 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for releasing the side stuff. Looking forward to watching it.

Also, got my folder today (and the cooling pad), so thanks Chococat.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

It's a good read, and if we've learnt anything, it's that we should film 10-minute recordings of someone going into an arcade and saying "Oh! I rememebr this! This is Windjammers!", before playing it badly and then selling the footage on DVDs!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Zeether posted:

I played one of the games featured in the "Collection" segments just now:

It's pretty fun, but I can't get past the first castle :(

The trick to doing well in Nazo no Murasamejou is finding as many secret pickups as you can - there's at least one on every screen, often two. Working out which ninjas are a priority and which aren't is helpful, too, since the game will throw craploads of enemies at you in the later levels.

Hideki Kamiya from Platinum said he'd like to make a new Murasamejou game given the chance, which I kinda hope he's allowed to do, even more than Star Fox.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The trick to doing well in Nazo no Murasamejou is finding as many secret pickups as you can - there's at least one on every screen, often two. Working out which ninjas are a priority and which aren't is helpful, too, since the game will throw craploads of enemies at you in the later levels.

Hideki Kamiya from Platinum said he'd like to make a new Murasamejou game given the chance, which I kinda hope he's allowed to do, even more than Star Fox.
Yeah, if you find the sandals and the shogi pieces I've found it makes stuff easier.

Also oh god, Platinum doing Murasamejou would be amazing.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I knew that this was coming, but not when it was coming. Does this have the 2 missing interview segments from season 2. The Solomon's Key episode and the Meteroid episodes have been cut from the TV Nihon sub. Is this just missing extras from seaon 2 Kotaku episodes/Disotek episodes and will the ones that TV Nihon did be subbed by you guys? If memory serves me right, the season 2 Kotaku episodes are Solomon's Key and Atlantis No Nazo.

Edit: I see that it does not cover Atlantis No Nazo. Which Kotaku games does it cover?

Edit 2: I see that it is all the extra segments from the Atlantis No Nazo episode.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

It means that it's time. Everyone on the SA team, insert your secret keys and turn them in 3... 2...

Nice. I should be getting my set tomorrow, so now I can shove these in with my viewing. Thanks a ton for going the extra mile, guys!