Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Momomo posted:

Leon was not meant to be a cool character, you're supposed to be laughing at his godawful comebacks, not with them.

Leon was absolutely painted as "awesome badass action hero" from start to finish. He says dumb poo poo that you laugh at, but it wasn't intentional at all. Hell, all the choreographed cutscenes (see Laser Maze dodging, knife-fight with Krauzer, fight with the village elder, etc.) aren't meant to be laughed at.

You might laugh, sure, but RE4 wasn't satire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

blackguy32 posted:

I still think Leon is a cool character. The Degeneration movie only confirmed it :colbert:

Oh, I love the guy and he's certainly cool, but as far as personality goes he's really corny. Saying things like "your right hand comes off?" make it seem like he watched a bunch of action movies right before the mission and that makes his utterly ridiculous actions the result of it too. He's an action movie star that wants to be an action movie star.

edit: There is absolutely no way Leon's quips are meant to be badass.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

slowbeef posted:

It was a satire of American foreign policy.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I kind of like the idea of mutating enemies that respond to where you hit them. Dead Space 3 is supposed to have something similar. We'll see how they handle it when it comes out.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Momomo posted:

edit: There is absolutely no way Leon's quips are meant to be badass.

There is absolutely no way Leon's quips are meant to be funny. Writing that bad can actually exist!

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

dvorak posted:

See, all this dumb loving poo poo, I find it totally hilarious. That's why I'm still getting on the train for RE6.

I love it too, but "dumb loving poo poo" doesn't seem to be one of RE6's detractors. Slapdash gameplay sprinkled with gratuitous amounts of quicktime events is another matter entirely, and is much harder to overlook or forgive.

On an unrelated note, I completely missed RE:Revelations. Is it any good? Is it playable without the circlepad? And most importantly, is it sufficiently cheesy?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

quote:

(Bell tolls; all villagers go through door and leave)

Leon: Where's everyone going? Bingo?

(Resident Evil 4 logo)

This set up all of Leon's little comebacks as stuff only he found funny.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I like to imagine Leon as being sort of like Jack Burton from Big Trouble in Little China, but a bit more competent. He's a bad-rear end, but not the brightest. Half the time he's just sort of confused and trying to act as awesome as he can, and if that means shooting his mouth off with stupid one-liners, well...

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Momomo posted:

This set up all of Leon's little comebacks as stuff only he found funny.

It's a bad quip, but you're not supposed to think Leon is an idiot from that scene.

The point of the line is that he's cracking wise just like any action hero does, because he's brushing off the danger. You're not supposed to watch a Schwarzenegger flick and think, "Brilliant satire! He's quite the fool!" You might laugh at the movie, but that doesn't make it the author's intention.

I don't think we're going to come to an agreement on this. I really just don't think given both the game's general mood and a lot of the cutscenes that we're supposed to see Leon as a laughable moron.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Almost Smart posted:

On an unrelated note, I completely missed RE:Revelations. Is it any good? Is it playable without the circlepad? And most importantly, is it sufficiently cheesy?

It's playable, and it's very much an attempt to recapture the same sort of feel as Lost in Nightmares. Everything in it is a huge bullet sponge.

I don't think it's that cheesy until the ending. I liked it well enough, but goddamn if I wasn't scrimping for ammo the entire time.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

slowbeef posted:

Leon was absolutely painted as "awesome badass action hero" from start to finish. He says dumb poo poo that you laugh at, but it wasn't intentional at all. Hell, all the choreographed cutscenes (see Laser Maze dodging, knife-fight with Krauzer, fight with the village elder, etc.) aren't meant to be laughed at.

I'd buy this more if it wasn't for Kamiya being behind it, and he tries to make all the characters he writes funny.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Momomo posted:

Oh, I love the guy and he's certainly cool, but as far as personality goes he's really corny. Saying things like "your right hand comes off?" make it seem like he watched a bunch of action movies right before the mission and that makes his utterly ridiculous actions the result of it too. He's an action movie star that wants to be an action movie star.
That's why I love him so much. :(
His quips are the kind of stupid humor I enjoy, intentional or not. I certainly don't take him seriously, but I found myself rooting for him when stabbing fuckers in RE4. He's also a nice contrasting character to the rest of the (horrible) RE cast.

e: Plus it's refreshing to play a tense game where the protagonist isn't "oh my gawd a monster!" all the time. I don't like horror games, too scary. :ohdear:

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 2, 2012

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

slowbeef posted:

I don't think we're going to come to an agreement on this. I really just don't think given both the game's general mood and a lot of the cutscenes that we're supposed to see Leon as a laughable moron.

This. I think people forget sometimes that there is such a thing as something being genuinely bad. Resident Evil has always had really bad dialogue and while maaaaaybe 5 acknowledged it, the others did not at all. Can't wait for the day someone suggests RE1 was satire as well.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
What's the best narrative order to play through Resident Evil 6?

I'm thinking Leon first, but am not sure on the others.

Edit: Not chronological order, but what order do you feel they benefit from the most?

timeandtide fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 2, 2012

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

timeandtide posted:

What's the best narrative order to play through Resident Evil 6?

I'm thinking Leon first, but am not sure on the others.

In the narrative, Jake's first two chapters are chronologically the earliest part of the game.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'd buy this more if it wasn't for Kamiya being behind it, and he tries to make all the characters he writes funny.

Resident Evil 4 wasn't Kamiya, that was Shinji Mikami. The only non-serious games he did were God Hand and kind of Vanquish (and that's a big kind of).

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
Not to mention Mikami wasn't even going MAKE godhand funny until he saw such a positive reception to a wacky coda at the end of an E3 trailer of it. I don't believe anyone is saying that RE4 was supposed to be the most straight laced game ever made, but more that it wasn't meant to be pure slapstick comedy. Anyway if RE6 got that over the top atmoshpere great. But from what I hear from reviews and what I played from the demo it feels like its just a point a to b corridor shooter. If there isn't any sense of exploration I think i'm just gonna pass on this.

polish sausage fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 2, 2012

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Funny is funny, regardless of whether it was intentional. Someone genuinely trying to write a badass action one-liner and coming up with "Does your right hand come off" can be legitimately more funny than an intentional attempt at so-bad-its-good ironic satire. We're not getting a wink and a nod from the authors to give us permission to laugh, but that doesn't mean Salazar is any less hilarious. RE4 has a lot of charm that comes from its sincere love of B-Movie Action/Horror, so I'd say I was laughing with the game more than laughing at it. It gets by on sincerity, not satire, and it's a funny and light-hearted action game, so, yeah, feel free to laugh.

On the other hand, RE1 and 2 are just kind of inept, once you take away the nostalgia, and most of the comedy comes from the developers limited understanding of American culture and the way its gameplay did not jive with its attempts at realism. The Police Station's layout, puzzles, and, most of all, the memos trying to excuse their design decision are definitely something to laugh at. No idea about 3 or the spinoffs, though apparently they go balls-out gonzo with space lasers and DOUBLE SECRET CONSPIRACIES, so props to them.

Now, Resident Evil 5 is a game where you defeat the main antagonist's first stage by exploiting the fact that he won't take his sunglasses off even when its too dark to see you. You win more than one boss fight because he's too busy pretending to be a badass than just kill your rear end. You ultimately beat him by punching a boulder. The rest of the game was underwhelming and bland, but there's no way the developers didn't know what they were doing with Wesker.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

polish sausage posted:

Not to mention Mikami wasn't even going MAKE godhand funny until he saw such a positive reception to a wacky coda at the end of an E3 trailer of it.

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure God Hand was always supposed to be ridiculous.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
I just took it from the god hand wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Hand under the development section. But hey it's sourced at least!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just got back from the midnight release. I think the sales figures may not be too hard for them, I swear there was a army of dudebro gamers that smelled like weed and they kept gasping coughing and laughing at each other. It was really hard to be around.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Tremors posted:

Haha, yes. The best two lines of RE5 are in the same cutscene.

How did Chris borrow Wesker's shades? That doesn't seem like the kind of thing old Al would agree to.

GhaleonX
Jan 10, 2008
Just got my copy of RE6. Feel Free to add me if anyone want's to be nude goons together sometime. GT - Solidsnackx

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Is this game worth watching on YouTube? For the cutscenes and set-pieces?

And I'm starting to get the impression they're not actually going to revive Wesker.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Do you guys view the line "I've had enough of your bullshit!" as hilarious or badass? Cause I think it's pretty badass. :clint:

I mean the other lines are hilarious, but you could take that line and put it in another action movie scene of a hero getting the upper hand on a villain. Wesker will always be on of my favorite video game villains of all time :allears:

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Revitalized posted:

Do you guys view the line "I've had enough of your bullshit!" as hilarious or badass? Cause I think it's pretty badass. :clint:

I mean the other lines are hilarious, but you could take that line and put it in another action movie scene of a hero getting the upper hand on a villain. Wesker will always be on of my favorite video game villains of all time :allears:

Hilarious because he doesn't quite put the right emphasis on it when he says it. Like most of Chris' lines from 5, the VA makes him come across as a little bit tired and sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9-NsxrVwC4&t=11s this is the best scene in the entire game (first like, 30 seconds)

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

VagueRant posted:

Is this game worth watching on YouTube? For the cutscenes and set-pieces?

And I'm starting to get the impression they're not actually going to revive Wesker.

Not only that, it's even worth playing!

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

AASman posted:

"To judge us? Do you get all of your ideas from comic books?"

Just the stepping stone I need...! *Pummels a boulder*

"All that matters in this world is superior DEE EN AYY!!!"

Don't forget Jill crawling on walls and hissing like a cat.

I'm partial to "First we cracked the shell, now we'll get the nut inside".

Spermando fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Oct 2, 2012

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Forgot this was out this week, yay gamefly :toot: What's this pistol technique I've seen in videos though, where it seems to lock on to the nearest baddie and your character kinda goes all :commissar: ?

Looks pretty cool, whatever it is.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Capn Beeb posted:

Forgot this was out this week, yay gamefly :toot: What's this pistol technique I've seen in videos though, where it seems to lock on to the nearest baddie and your character kinda goes all :commissar: ?

Looks pretty cool, whatever it is.

Quick shot (L1+R1), it's a desperation move I guess? Seems to do more damage and you don't have to aim, but it takes up a block of stamina and has a longer recovery time than just shooting. It's a nice feature though I didn't have much use for it myself other than badassery.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Thievery posted:

Quick shot (L1+R1), it's a desperation move I guess? Seems to do more damage and you don't have to aim, but it takes up a block of stamina and has a longer recovery time than just shooting. It's a nice feature though I didn't have much use for it myself other than badassery.

It's really useful against the infected dogs, and since it's a one-hit stumble, it lets you follow up immediately with a melee finisher.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

For what it's worth, I agree with the reviewers' complaints about the aiming system - it's loving terrible, UNLESS you switch the aiming mode from 'crosshair' to 'aiming laser'. I found accuracy 100x easier with that change. The crosshairs are just awful, but I can't put my finger on why.

It feels like a slapped on visual effect, the game is still using the much more precise laser sight but they got the crosshairs because some other popular games uses it; it's like Capcom weren't even sure themselves and yet they still made it the default setting. Seriously, they should have a mandate option when begining a new game to pick from crosshair or laser sight.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I've played up to the first boss encounter in Jake's campaign. This uh...this loving sucks. Nothing about this is fun. Jesus, I hope the other campaigns aren't as tedious as this. And the controls are loving terrible. Why is there no button to just toss a loving grenade for gods sake? Why do I have to go into the loving inventory, equip one, and then throw it, then go back and re-equip my gun? Am I missing something here? Why did they make it so I can't just use an herb, and instead have to do a bunch of dicking around in my inventory? Why does the inventory not pause it when playing alone? Why does going into the actual loving menu not pause it when you're playing alone? Why is the aiming so inaccurate? This is a console game, with a controller, at least give some slight auto-aim to compensate.

So far I feel like all the negative reviews were totally right. God drat.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

TheJoker138 posted:

I've played up to the first boss encounter in Jake's campaign. This uh...this loving sucks. Nothing about this is fun. Jesus, I hope the other campaigns aren't as tedious as this. And the controls are loving terrible. Why is there no button to just toss a loving grenade for gods sake? Why do I have to go into the loving inventory, equip one, and then throw it, then go back and re-equip my gun? Am I missing something here? Why did they make it so I can't just use an herb, and instead have to do a bunch of dicking around in my inventory? Why does the inventory not pause it when playing alone? Why does going into the actual loving menu not pause it when you're playing alone? Why is the aiming so inaccurate? This is a console game, with a controller, at least give some slight auto-aim to compensate.

So far I feel like all the negative reviews were totally right. God drat.

For grenades, just hit up or down on the d-pad to toss one, you'll auto switch back to your gun but if you want to use another just hit up to ready another. I've had no trouble with it really.

Also for herbs the games super fast about readying them too. Not sure if I've just been lucky but hit triangle (Y I assume on 360) and it'll auto select green, hit confirm twice and it'll auto combine it with the best match up and bam there you go.

That being said I'm having a total blast as Leon even though I'm kinda unsure what to do in this one room, and the only complaint I have is holy poo poo this game is hard as gently caress, either I'm terrible or I'm getting knocked over every few minutes it seems.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That being said I'm having a total blast as Leon even though I'm kinda unsure what to do in this one room, and the only complaint I have is holy poo poo this game is hard as gently caress, either I'm terrible or I'm getting knocked over every few minutes it seems.

If you're letting your stamina drain to empty, you'll be super easy to knock over until it recharges.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

I just finished Chapter 1 of Leon's campaign and I enjoyed it despite the slow start it had. Too much time spent helping some obviously doomed jamoke look for his kid. However I'm not really looking forward to Chris' game since that was my least favorite part of the demo.

If any of you XBox goons need a guy to play with; my tag is Paul Revere 3K.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

If you're letting your stamina drain to empty, you'll be super easy to knock over until it recharges.

Meant more like "Ha I have health capsules wait poo poo where is all of my health???"

I got the defense up upgrade and that didn't seem to do much so meh.

MmmDonuts
Apr 5, 2010
e: nvm

MmmDonuts fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Oct 4, 2012

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Meant more like "Ha I have health capsules wait poo poo where is all of my health???"

I got the defense up upgrade and that didn't seem to do much so meh.

My 360 just red-ringed, so I can't check for myself, but doesn't the Defense skill apply specifically to firearms attacks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Leon has a counter move where he just straight up kicks a zombie in the junk. I love this crazy game.