Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Awesome to see the Clover release make it, that'd somehow completely slipped past me so good on ya for letting the thread know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

AzraelNewtype posted:

Checked the last couple pages to make sure nobody posted this, apologies if I missed it.

After ten thousand years, this Ghouls 'n Ghosts episode is free, though it's not likely to conquer anything.

If only they could have held off four more days some of the stuff in that episode would have made a lot more sense. C'est la vie.

Ghouls 'n Ghosts is one of the great episodes. You guys are going to be blown away by episode...

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Random Stranger posted:

If only they could have held off four more days some of the stuff in that episode would have made a lot more sense. C'est la vie.

Well, time to hold off on watching Ghouls 'n Ghosts for four more days! :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Volfogg posted:

Well, time to hold off on watching Ghouls 'n Ghosts for four more days! :v:

Well, maybe not a lot. Just that there's stuff that ties in...

Edit: Here's a strange coincidence. I was just reading The Ultimate History of Video Games and hit a section about Yoshiki Okamoto's career. The book makes his time at Konami sound much more interesting than the interview in episode 1 does. Apparently he wasn't supposed to be making Time Pilot. He was assigned to make a driving game but he didn't like it. So he made some dummy stuff to show at meetings to fool his boss and actually had his team create Time Pilot instead.

There's more about Okamoto in the book (it's about four pages about his career in chapter 24) if you're interested in things like how he made Final Fight and Street Fighter 2...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 2, 2012

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Ghouls 'n Ghosts is one of the great episodes. You guys are going to be blown away by episode...

Are you refering to the very end of the Bonanza Bros episode. After the Bonanza Bros challenge ended, they showed him what the next challenge would be. The 2 ADs played a bit of GNG to preview it to Arino. Hope to see Cho Makaimura/ Super Ghouls N Ghosts subbed soon. Season 5 is almos
t subbed as well. Just missing Princess Tomato.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 2, 2012

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

Random Stranger posted:

Well, maybe not a lot. Just that there's stuff that ties in...

Edit: Here's a strange coincidence. I was just reading The Ultimate History of Video Games and hit a section about Yoshiki Okamoto's career. The book makes his time at Konami sound much more interesting than the interview in episode 1 does. Apparently he wasn't supposed to be making Time Pilot. He was assigned to make a driving game but he didn't like it. So he made some dummy stuff to show at meetings to fool his boss and actually had his team create Time Pilot instead.

There's more about Okamoto in the book (it's about four pages about his career in chapter 24) if you're interested in things like how he made Final Fight and Street Fighter 2...

Hah, that's pretty awesome. Time Pilot is a cool game and I'm glad he was crazy enough to do that and get it made.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Spincut posted:

Woah, Arino plays Smart Ball at some point?! I played the hell out of that as a kid.

I was disappointed to find out that the storyline was completely removed from the American version!

Shock Trooper posted:

That reminds me, I saw one booth there that was selling a Super Famicom copy of Clock Tower for $75. Didn't realize it went for that much.

I didn't see that but that's way too much. I found quite a few GCCX-related import games there but didn't pick them up due to the price. Asides from Super Monkey Adventures there was Famicom Jump, Konami Wai Wai World, Saint Seiya, Lemmings (SFC), Milon's Secret Castle (FC), Doraemon, Bio Miracle, Sword of Musashi and Hokkaido Serial Murders. The only FC game I picked up was Bio Senshi Dan, which is a pretty weird game. An English prototype was made and it was called "Bashi Bazook: Morphoid Masher" but it was never released.

Allen Wren posted:

I sincerely hope that Mendel Palace is in the queue for translation---I own it and have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing in it, since my copy came sans manual.

Mine came with a manual! I may translate Mendel Palace soon since the Tajiri interview special gave me more interest in it.

Random Stranger posted:

Yoshiki Okamato seems like a very interesting guy. That interview is one of my favourites. He's the most outgoing and uninhibited game creator I've seen on the show.

I got a 3DSXL. I've never used a 3DS before so I'm still trying to figure things out. Can someone send me one of those GCCX swapnote stationaries? Friend code is 5370-1794-9055.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The Ultimate History of Video Games is a fantastic book because of stuff like that. Most of the stuff on Atari in there is interesting too.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Mine came with a manual! I may translate Mendel Palace soon since the Tajiri interview special gave me more interest in it.

I would love to see this this episode to close out season 8. This is the last unsubbed episode of that season.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Mendel Palace was one of the games of my childhood. Screw that last boss though.

benjiman
Sep 2, 2011
Figured I might as well ask, else hey, I may never know!

Do Clover have anywhere they hold direct downloads? I have just moved to my university digs (the first japanese lesson may well have been the most awkward experience ever)and it would appear they don't permit torrenting. That, or there is someone waiting at their desk for me to click download so they can press the "NO!" button.

My copy of the DVD is currently on "Shipping Soon". I can wait. When it gets here, that weeks lessons are screwed, and I would like to be in the swing of learning kanji first!

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
My standard go-to for non-torrented episodes is pulling them off YouTube. Arino gets fuzzier, but it's not like 8-bit games lose much in the quality drop. :v:

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

drat Amazon Canada ships fast. Shipped it yesterday and I just got the DVD today. So excited to pop this sucker into my DVD player and watch Arino get thrashed by Ninja Gaiden.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Do not even ask posted:

drat Amazon Canada ships fast. Shipped it yesterday and I just got the DVD today. So excited to pop this sucker into my DVD player and watch Arino get thrashed by Ninja Gaiden.

Well that is because all the delivery people use subspace portals there.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

zari-gani posted:

I got a 3DSXL. I've never used a 3DS before so I'm still trying to figure things out. Can someone send me one of those GCCX swapnote stationaries? Friend code is 5370-1794-9055.

Add me, 1375-7236-8475. :) If anyone else needs it you can add me too, just let me know so I can add you back in order to exchange Swapnotes and poo poo.

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 2, 2012

makere
Jan 14, 2012
Added zari-gani and Caitlin, my code is 0602-7569-9314, so add me please :)

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Also, guys, please remember that you actually have to send notes to unlock features. Feel free to spam me with them if you're just going for unlocks, though I think you only have to make the notes, not send them. Adding you now, makere. I think I have most of the available stationery at this point so if there are other ones you want, let me know.

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Swapnote

vv OK ADAM GOSH FINE I'LL ADD YOU

If you guys want other stationery just send me a PM/list in here of what you want me to send you/whatever, otherwise I'm just defaulting to sending everyone the GCCX stationery.

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 2, 2012

Souichiro
Aug 31, 2003

You should focus on doing the things only you can do.
Yeah, I just unlocked stationery after doodling stuff without sending. Only takes about five notes or so.

Friend code is 0559-8051-8355.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
Making gifs is super addicting.

http://i.imgur.com/2NI9C.gif

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Got my DVD's from Amazon this morning. :haw:

Gonna re-enjoy these.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

In the unlicensed portions of episode six Arino has a book signing, gets his trademark squid, and meets a comic creator.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 207.41 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

Shortly after this episode aired Microsoft used the manga from this episode to promote the X-Box in Japan. That plan didn't work.

Whilst farting I
Apr 25, 2006

Because I haven't seen this listed anywhere (not exactly how the episodes are split between discs):

Disc 1:
Ninja Gaiden
Super Fantasy Zone
Bonanza Brothers
Solomon's Key
Clock Tower

Disc 2:
Mighty Bomb Jack
Mystery of Atlantis
S.O.S.
Battle Golfer Yui

Disc 3:
53 Stations of the Tokaido
The Wing of the Madoola
Golden Axe

Disc 4:
Shiren the Wanderer
Ninja Gaiden 2

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Im pretty excited for the DVD, the only Kotaku ep I watched was Battle Golfer Yui so theres a whole bunch in the set that will be new to me.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Got my DVDs! Just one problem, though: The idea of putting in a disc to watch something is soooooo 2005. What's the best software to format shift these discs with, while retaining the subtitles? Handbrake?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
After much um-ing and ahh-ing I decided to order the dvd. God knows how i'm going to play it seeing as I dont have anything thats region1 compatible.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I found out that you can download the version of Heiankyo Alien here for free! (First download link)

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

a big fwiggen terd posted:

After much um-ing and ahh-ing I decided to order the dvd. God knows how i'm going to play it seeing as I dont have anything thats region1 compatible.

You're in luck! According to DVD Decrypter, the discs are region free AND drm free:

McLaglen
Nov 12, 2011

what is love?
what is free love?
what is love?
love is free.

:scotland:
Since there's renewed interest in the GCCX SwapNote stationery, it's worth mentioning that the Steam group now has its own thread on the matter.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

McLaglen posted:

Since there's renewed interest in the GCCX SwapNote stationery, it's worth mentioning that the Steam group now has its own thread on the matter.

I'm glad the Solomon's Key Segments uploaded so quickly. TV Nihon's sub for this episode is missing the interview segment. Can't wait to watch the interview segment.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

xamphear posted:

You're in luck! According to DVD Decrypter, the discs are region free AND drm free:

Oh thats pretty awesome seeing as i'm too lazy to rip dvds. Now I just have to wait 7 to 14 days :saddowns:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Random Stranger posted:

In the unlicensed portions of episode six Arino has a book signing, gets his trademark squid, and meets a comic creator.

Some folks find it painful to watch Arino fail at a game over and over and over again. Me? I find it painful to watch Arino put money into a game that isn't working over and over and over again. Call an attendant! Gripe about the start button being broken! Don't feed eight coins into it in hopes that'll magically solve the problem! :doh:

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

I'm very happy the DVD is region free. I've put my order in now, looking forward to it.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
Any chance of a mirror for the Ghouls n Ghosts episode? The clover torrent refuses to play nicely with any torrent client I use.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

xamphear posted:

Got my DVDs! Just one problem, though: The idea of putting in a disc to watch something is soooooo 2005. What's the best software to format shift these discs with, while retaining the subtitles? Handbrake?

Did you find a solution to this yet?

Michael Carnage
Nov 7, 2004

To find the light you must embrace the darkness.
If you have a Japanese PSN account and ~$7.68 on it you can get Umihara Kawase Shun Second Edition Just think of all the fun you can have! I just saw the story on Joystiq and thought of here. I'm going to assume that's because we're awesome!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
The Comix Zone ep, Retro Read-Aloud and the DVD coming out reminded me that someone here a while back asked if I translate in-game text, or use the localized text (if it does exist).

When in-game text comes up for a game that's been localized, I always check the localized script. Almost every time there's a significant enough difference between the original script and the localization for me to warrant translating the original. I figure people will be interested in seeing the difference. NES/FC games especially will have huge deviations, likely due to character limits. Sometimes the storyline is changed entirely, like Street Fighter 2010. And of course, it's better to translate it directly if Arino comments on it ("Princess Peach was captured yet again").

For Clock Tower, at first I wanted to follow the fan translation that's been circulating for years, but it didn't fit my style so I went with my own. There's especially one part in the game that involves an important note that I feel was translated inaccurately, leading to some confusion over the Clock Tower lore. I did some research in both the English and Japanese fandoms before settling with what you'll see in the DVD.

Actually, I think the only time I used the official localized script was Ninja Gaiden. It was a very direct and well-done translation. Ninja Gaiden II, however, was another matter for some reason.

makere
Jan 14, 2012
If you just want to watch the dvd on PC without inserting the disc, just use dvd decrypter or imgburn to rip the files to harddrive (this is also first step you need to do if you want to convert them).

You can use VobSub to rip subtitles and AutoGK to convert the video, then maybe mux them together to mkv if you want to. I'll be making more detailed guides, once I get my DVDs (couple weeks to ship to EU), unless someone beats me to it.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Dang, Zari-gani. If we didn't already think you worked hard in translating these episodes, you definitely work hard! Much obliged for your work!

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

My copy of the DVD arrives tomorrow, thanks to the magic of Amazon Prime and free 2-day shipping. I'm gonna have to throw a ritz-y party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I've had mine since Saturday though the magic of giving Discotek my money directly.