Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

They demonstrably do not give a single poo poo about a lot of things we in the west find important in games, like...being in control of your character at least most of the time.

The success of titles such as Metal Gear, Max Payne 3 and Scripted Shooter #800 show me that the West doesn't care much about this either.
Here's the recipe for making a game that sells well: Make a serious storyline about war or how the government or rich people are terrible, waste millions of dollars on well-directed cutscenes, tack-on a few minutes of gameplay amongst the constant cutscenes. The future of gaming, game of the year, editor's choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

GUI posted:

The success of titles such as Metal Gear, Max Payne 3 and Scripted Shooter #800 show me that the West doesn't care much about this either.
Here's the recipe for making a game that sells well: Make a serious storyline about war or how the government or rich people are terrible, waste millions of dollars on well-directed cutscenes, tack-on a few minutes of gameplay amongst the constant cutscenes. The future of gaming, game of the year, editor's choice.

What I don't get is when people are actually making arguments that a game is purposefully torturing you not to play it anymore and that is the entire message behind said game like in Spec Ops the Line's case. The demo was ok if not generic, but apparently the story is where it is at

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

GUI posted:

Well, I never played Max Payne 3, but in Call of Duty games (and MGS), when you're in control of your character, you really are in control of them for a good chunk of time at a time, right? It sounds like in RE6, its constantly yanking control away from you. Besides, you have the whole world of multiplayer beyond that, where there is basically no hand-holding, and from what I've heard mp in Call of Duty games is justifiably really good by almost any measure of a game.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Spec Ops is the only shooty shoot shoot game I've played that does a good job of showing the storyline through gameplay and the cutscenes being brief and to the point.
The gameplay is indeed extremely generic though, and I doubt that was the point no matter how people justify it.

quote:

Well, I never played Max Payne 3, but in Call of Duty games (and MGS), when you're in control of your character, you really are in control of them for a good chunk of time at a time, right? It sounds like in RE6, its constantly yanking control away from you. Besides, you have the whole world of multiplayer beyond that, where there is basically no hand-holding, and from what I've heard mp in Call of Duty games is justifiably really good by almost any measure of a game.

Yeah, but in the COD games there's plenty of areas (especially in MW1) where you literally do nothing but wait for the characters to stop speaking so you can move on and keep playing. It's just as bad as taking control away from you since it's doing nothing but offering the illusion of choice. Sure, you can move, but in reality you're meant to stand there and watch what amounts to dialogue which you cannot skip. Similar to how in Half-Life 2 there's these bits where you're locked in a room while characters drone on and on and you can do nothing but move around until they finish speaking.
Max Payne 3 is a godawful game in that there's mostly unskippable 2-10 minute cutscenes in-between a minute or two of gameplay. Which is a shame since it is very good when you actually get to play it.

Metal Gear is kind of an exception, but outside Peace Walker all the games have had issues with the cutscenes being stupidly long and overshadowing the gameplay.

GUI fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 2, 2012

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Dominic White posted:

4 hours of cutscenes, but word is that it's a huge game. Like, twice the length of RE4 or something crazy like that - 20+ hours, bare minimum.

Supposedly, each of the 4 campaigns is split into 5 chapters, and each chapter is 'an hour or so'. So yes, huge. There's also something I heard about a 5th 'Prologue' campaign, but nothing detailed. Given that there's also Agent Hunt and The Mercenaries, as well as the various perks you can get to fit your playstyle and add replay value, there's a shitload of content if you like the gameplay, and I thought the demo was fine.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dominic White posted:

Wonder what Europe is getting, if anything? NFL anything seldom appears anywhere near Europe.

Nice that they're doing a major discount on Spelunker HD's DLC, too - it's normally waaaay too expensive.

For sure, Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit will be free for PS+ this month in Europe. That's all we know for now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've played counterless Western games with lengthy cutscenes where control is either yanked from your hands or you're forced into a 'non-cutscene" where you can do nothing but hold forward or watch your guy walk while you're unable to interact. It's not at all a Japanese thing, it's just a modern game thing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 2, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

I've played counterless Western games with lengthy cutscenes where control is either yanked from your hands or you're forced into a 'non-cutscene" where you can do nothing but hold forward or watch your guy walk while you're unable to interact. It's not at all a Japanese thing, it's just a modern game thing.
Yeah, you're right about that. So the question is, why is RE6 getting slammed by the same reviewers that praise CoD and stuff? Did the reviewers have a very sudden and selective change of heart, or did Capcom not pay off the right people? And if they didn't, why not? They didn't just fall off the turnip truck as far as the game biz goes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, you're right about that. So the question is, why is RE6 getting slammed by the same reviewers that praise CoD and stuff? Did the reviewers have a very sudden and selective change of heart, or did Capcom not pay off the right people? And if they didn't, why not? They didn't just fall off the turnip truck as far as the game biz goes.

It is likely for other reasons beyond just the cutscenes. I haven't played it yet but it sounds like it is one of those games which has a bunch of minor/annoying flaws which can make or break the game, and they can add up pretty heavily. It isn't any one giant thing that ruins the game, just a bunch of smaller things.

It sounds like the bulk of the problem comes from the game trying to do to much. You have three campaigns with different gameplay styles using the same engine, in the same package. Instead of one polished experience they went for quantity over quality and the end result is a lot of flaws that would have been fixed in a singular story instead of 3.5 different ones. To the game's credit it sounds like it has an whole bunch of content, and if you like it it's a great value, but you have to get past its many warts to do so.

I love RE, but with X-COM and Dishonered coming out next week, it's really hard to justify $60 for what I know is inevitably going to be a iffy proposition at best. I'm really curious to see what the general reaction to it is after other people play it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 2, 2012

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Say what I will about them. Whenever my brother brings a new CoD game over, I always enjoy playing through the campaign at least once just to see all the crazy poo poo that happens, and the multiplayer is pretty solid even if I don't like it. CoD also does a pretty good job of keeping the action evenly paced

From what it sounds to me, it sounds like RE6 has a few technical problems in the camera and controls department and it seems that the action is uneven.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

You know, I don't even give a poo poo about the haters. Resident Evil is Resident Evil, and over the top cutscenes have sort of become the norm recently. I don't mind cutscenes as well as long as it's not massively long with almost little plot movement, aka Metal Gear Solid.

I think they also have to consider reviews from the viewpoint of someone who needs their $60 bucks to go far and to have enjoyable content. But if you're a Resident Evil fan, you probably bought Operation Raccoon City day-one, and this game is worth much more than ORC.

And maybe everyone's just a little angry at what Capcom has done with other stuff, like handing off so many of their franchises to third party developers, only to have them do a poor job. (Or just not releasing/developing stuff like Mega Man Legends 3 or allowing Ace Attorney Investigations 2 to come out here)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just miss exploration, that's the biggest part. I've had it with games that don't give you a reason to return to old locations and stuff, and RE5 was the first one that did that, and I don't have any reason to believe 6 is any different.

If only a RE game had an at least somewhat modern control scheme like 5 (minus QTEs) but exploration and puzzle solving like the previous ones...

edit: honestly for Capcom, the only franchises I care about anymore is Ace Attorney, and Dragon's Dogma.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 2, 2012

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: honestly for Capcom, the only franchises I care about anymore is Ace Attorney, and Dragon's Dogma.

Dragon's Dogma was a surprisingly competent game that just needed more meat to it. I had explored most of the world without even realizing it (although I never noticed the route to Bluemoon tower until pretty far into my character progression) and some of the coolest areas are woefully underused. The Blighted Manse is only visited once in a optional quest, Bluemoon Tower, by far the coolest location in the game, was only visited twice. Despite that, I think I put some crazy amount of hours into it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

blackguy32 posted:

Dragon's Dogma was a surprisingly competent game that just needed more meat to it. I had explored most of the world without even realizing it (although I never noticed the route to Bluemoon tower until pretty far into my character progression) and some of the coolest areas are woefully underused. The Blighted Manse is only visited once in a optional quest, Bluemoon Tower, by far the coolest location in the game, was only visited twice. Despite that, I think I put some crazy amount of hours into it.
Oh yeah, I feel the same way about DD. Its development was clearly cut short, I expect good things for the next game. If Capcom is still around in its current form by then, anyway. Let's see, what other major Japanese publishers haven't been consolidated under a holding company yet? Konami and uh....what?

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Monster Hunter is clearly Capcom's best franchise. :colbert:

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh yeah, I feel the same way about DD. Its development was clearly cut short, I expect good things for the next game. If Capcom is still around in its current form by then, anyway. Let's see, what other major Japanese publishers haven't been consolidated under a holding company yet? Konami and uh....what?

I think looking at major Japanese publishers is a bit of a mistake at the moment. There are still a lot of good Japanese games being made, you just need to be looking at smaller individual studios rather than the broad big names most of the time. I think a lot of peoples negativity towards Japanese developers comes from only looking towards the old giants rather than newer exciting developers. At least Platinum are getting pretty hyped up these days!

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Since I played DmC at Eurogamer Expo, I'll just explain what made the demo so bad.

The lock-on system is gone, so now you have to be constantly rotating the camera to keep the enemy you're fighting on-screen. To change weapons, you hold either the left or right trigger, and switching doesn't occur until your last attack has finished, so it's not very interesting to mix up your combos. Dodging feels slow, but there's no need since you can tank most of the enemies' attacks.

All the puzzles in the demo consisted of "White shiny - use Angel Pull" and "Red shiny - use Devil Pull". There was a cinematic finisher to the insect boss that was just doing the appropriate one, so it ended up just being QTEs but with more buttons to press simultaneously. The boss itself didn't require me to do anything besides use my slow, powerful weapon and use the Angel Pull to move to a different platform.

One good thing about the game is that timing-based combos are still in, and they help you by having your weapon flash.

Metal Gear Rising completely blew it out of the water, and by the end of the demo I had mastered parrying to the extent that I could finish a fight unscathed and block every one of the boss' attacks. I saw that a lot of people couldn't beat the boss, but at least Platinum expects more from you than to just spam heavy attack over and over again.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

bleep posted:

I think looking at major Japanese publishers is a bit of a mistake at the moment. There are still a lot of good Japanese games being made, you just need to be looking at smaller individual studios rather than the broad big names most of the time. I think a lot of peoples negativity towards Japanese developers comes from only looking towards the old giants rather than newer exciting developers. At least Platinum are getting pretty hyped up these days!

I agree. It's like saying that Western game development has gone to poo poo because you only look at the crap that EA and Activision are shoveling out, when there's brilliance coming from elsewhere. I feel the same applies to writing off Japanese gaming because Capcom and Square have gone down the toilet.

That loving Sned posted:

Metal Gear Rising completely blew it out of the water, and by the end of the demo I had mastered parrying to the extent that I could finish a fight unscathed and block every one of the boss' attacks. I saw that a lot of people couldn't beat the boss, but at least Platinum expects more from you than to just spam heavy attack over and over again.

I saw some footage of Metal Gear Rising where one of the actual developers played through a level and it was a thing of beauty seeing somebody who knows the combat system inside out do all kinds of crazy awesome stuff.

After releasing Bayonetta and Vanquish, with Metal Gear Rising looking as good as it does, it really does make the Wii U a very tempting purchase considering that it will have two exclusives from Platinum Games (The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2) and they've gone on record as stating that they're dying to work on a StarFox game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

What really interests me is what if Resident Evil 6 wasn't named that and was actually just some new IP, would it be getting the same scores, for better or worse?

ZombieSnot
Jan 2, 2011

Entrenched in nutritious rotting flesh.

blackguy32 posted:

What really interests me is what if Resident Evil 6 wasn't named that and was actually just some new IP, would it be getting the same scores, for better or worse?

It would probably get better reviews, because it seems like the biggest complaints levied against the game is that it does not come off as a Resident Evil game.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

October content for Euro PS+ subscribers has been announced.

Sony will be putting up Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit, Bulletstorm and Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition (which includes all DLC and Move support).

revolther
May 27, 2008
Resident Evil 6 has a demo on PSN right now, with online enabled, so you all are free to try it out yourself and build your own opinions; I just found it to be terribly clunky.

It felt like walking through RE2 environments as an indestructible Leon Kennedy with terrible tank controls. I think three of the face buttons are used to open doors depending on their context(is it a door, a heavy door or a locked door?), the remaining face button... held to access items; Capcom, have some common sense and shove that poo poo to the d-pad, combine door opening to a single action button, then examine the rest of the clunky game.

Even aiming felt off with there being dead zones (not controller stick wise) that you just weren't allowed to aim at unless a zombie shambled that way, then the character would automatically pivot and snap aim right/left to the enemy, where before you couldn't acknowledge that direction.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Okay, now I actually am getting annoyed about how much better the Euro PSN+ content is. I've been kind of waving it away but US got the single player for a multiplayer game and a sports game that I could not care less about and Euro is getting three games I haven't played, and kind of want to play.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Samurai Sanders posted:

If only a RE game had an at least somewhat modern control scheme like 5 (minus QTEs) but exploration and puzzle solving like the previous ones...

So what you're saying is you want to play RE: Revelations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Krad posted:

I mentioned this to a friend earlier, that it's strange that Capcom can make a game as Resident-Evily (if that makes sense) as RE: Revelations, but then make a RE game with cover shooter mechanics, of all things.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

axleblaze posted:

Okay, now I actually am getting annoyed about how much better the Euro PSN+ content is. I've been kind of waving it away but US got the single player for a multiplayer game and a sports game that I could not care less about and Euro is getting three games I haven't played, and kind of want to play.

Did Euro PSN+ get all the games we did after the E3 reveal?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Morpheus posted:

I mentioned this to a friend earlier, that it's strange that Capcom can make a game as Resident-Evily (if that makes sense) as RE: Revelations, but then make a RE game with cover shooter mechanics, of all things.

It's a market dictated by the consumers, and "horror" doesn't sell as well as full fledged third person shooters nowadays.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Krad posted:

Oh right, on the 3DS. I didn't have a 3DS until just recently so I hadn't looked into that at all. So it's an old-school RE game but without tank controls?

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

MUFFlNS posted:

October content for Euro PS+ subscribers has been announced.

Sony will be putting up Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit, Bulletstorm and Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition (which includes all DLC and Move support).

Oh poo poo, Bulletstorm. I wanted to play that really bad after the demo way back but other games kept coming out that made me forget about it entirely. I probably never would have got around to play it if not for this sudden PS+ offering. Now I know I can't let it pass me by. :allears:

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded
EU tends to get the short end of the stick when it comes to gaming so it's nice that we get the better deals for once. But the choices for the instant game collection are never going to please everyone. I've already had almost all of the "big" titles from the last couple of months, and Bulletstorm and RE5 are two more I already own. I'm not complaining though, it's nice to get access to digital copies at least.

DangerKat posted:

Did Euro PSN+ get all the games we did after the E3 reveal?

Virtua Fighter 5 – Yes
inFAMOUS 2 – Yes
Little Big Planet 2 – Yes
Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One – No
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine – Yes
Just Cause 2 – Yes, later
Saints Row 2 – Yes, later
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light – Yes, later
Hard Corp: Uprising – No
Choplifter HD – No
Zombie Apocalypse Never Die Alone – No
Sideway NY – No

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh right, on the 3DS. I didn't have a 3DS until just recently so I hadn't looked into that at all. So it's an old-school RE game but without tank controls?

Yes, it really is a great game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Eh, yes and no. it's divided into two segments.

The boat segments are sort of a blend of old and new. It has some backtracking and exploration, not really much in the way of puzzles. In between boat segments are linear action sequences ala the more modern RE games. It has an awesome co-op mode where you can unlock weapons and poo poo tho'.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

eightysixed posted:

Yes, it really is a great game.
Hm, well, I didn't really get a 3DS to play action games, they're a lot less fun on a tiny screen, but maybe if I'm hard up for games I'll check it out. That sure as hell won't be the case of the next few months though.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Goddamn, I literally just bought Bulletstorm as I wanted to play it, but like most played other stuff first.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My feelings on RE6 (borrowed someone's copy) are pretty mixed.

The gameplay itself is fine. The primary trouble I had was when I tried playing it like a shooter instead of like RE4/RE5. You may be able to move and shoot and such, but it's still the same kind of game. Most of the extra mechanics (including the cover system) are extraneous and out of place.

That said, the game really desperately needs downtime. There is literally no moment to breathe. (To the point where you can't pause the game at any time, even in single player.) By breathe, I mean even just more 'casual' enemy fighting instead of it being part of some overall large huge setpiece. I've only played through some of Jake's campaign so far but it really desperately needs some time where I'm just shooting damned monsters, not outrunning explosions constantly, even in cutscenes.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

My feelings on RE6 (borrowed someone's copy) are pretty mixed.

The gameplay itself is fine. The primary trouble I had was when I tried playing it like a shooter instead of like RE4/RE5. You may be able to move and shoot and such, but it's still the same kind of game. Most of the extra mechanics (including the cover system) are extraneous and out of place.

That said, the game really desperately needs downtime. There is literally no moment to breathe. (To the point where you can't pause the game at any time, even in single player.) By breathe, I mean even just more 'casual' enemy fighting instead of it being part of some overall large huge setpiece. I've only played through some of Jake's campaign so far but it really desperately needs some time where I'm just shooting damned monsters, not outrunning explosions constantly, even in cutscenes.
Yeah, that lack of downtime is why I moved away from corridor shooters in general. Clearly a lot of people like the action and explosions to be more or less continuous for the entire length of the game, but at least in some sense, I play games to relax. I mean, look at Dark Souls, when it's intense it's INTENSE, but still, you spend most of your time in the game slowly walking alone through the environment.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Bionic Commando 3D wasn't GOTY or anything but goddamn was it well-paced. Lots of moments where you just swing around and take in the scenery, punctuated by some functional combat. It wasn't nearly as far-removed from classic 2D action platformers as it seemed on the surface.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Not being able to Pause in RE6 is absolutely terrible.

My name aint Jerry
Sep 4, 2011

Good job with notjerry.org, Not Jerry. Here is not-a-trophy for you.

eightysixed posted:

Not being able to Pause in RE6 is absolutely terrible.

You can pause during gameplay segments (by pressing start). But of course, this leaves a lot of game time without being able to pause.

It's possible that it's only available if you create an offline game, which is not the default.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

My name aint Jerry posted:

You can pause during gameplay segments (by pressing start). But of course, this leaves a lot of game time without being able to pause.

It's possible that it's only available if you create an offline game, which is not the default.

Really? I played the first chapter online coop with a friend last night, and we weren't able to pause any time we tried :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
You can only pause if you play offline. I've finished Leon's and Jake's campaigns. The former was great, but Jake's was just too abrasive. The one thing I really hate in the game is that some boss fights and setpieces are constantly interrupted to show you redundant cutscenes.

• Locked thread