Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
I gave Kill for Love another listen after a couple months off, and yeah, still doesn't really do it for me either. The Neil Young cover to kick off is fine, my ears just don't find any of the songs all that remarkable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Do you like the sci-fi novel Dune? Do you like Yoko Ono and The Flaming Lips? Here's the two of them doing a song based on the Litany Against Fear from Dune, which got me through half my childhood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9jz4vE_z7c

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

ThatsMyBoye posted:

I gave Kill for Love another listen after a couple months off, and yeah, still doesn't really do it for me either. The Neil Young cover to kick off is fine, my ears just don't find any of the songs all that remarkable.
I haven't heard it for a few months because I've been working on an absurd project with no practical application*, but in the interim its standing has actually risen in my mind. It will not be my album of the year. It will be an album I return to for years to come. So glad I was able to come around on that one.**

* - I am listening to every album I have. This sounds obvious, but think about those albums that you have, and, uh yeah I mean, I think I've heard Sonic Youth's Sister, I mean, I must have, right? I've heard this song and that song, surely I've heard the album. Well, if I can't explain an album or know beyond a doubt that I've listened to it, I must not have heard it. So, trying not to double back on any 2012 albums right now.

** - Ugh, I hate saying this, because it implies you will or should, too.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

WickedIcon posted:

I realize I'm more than a little late but holy gently caress Kill for Love by Chromatics is a fantastic album. Night Drive was pretty good but the jump from that to Kill is goddamned huge.

Oh hi there. :v: Needless to say I agree. Ever heard their In the City EP? It's pretty good but it has what might be my favorite thing by them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nzqFCTld0g

But yeah. Kill for Love is probably my favorite album in years, I was listening to it obsessively a few weeks ago. I might have to turn it on again. Italians Do It Better in general is pretty sweet; Desire has a great album, and Glass Candy's stuff is all pretty solid, with a few standout tracks. Nobody else that stands up to Chromatics, though. I'm dying for them to come somewhere in the midwest. Ideally KC or STL so it'd be a hometown show for me, but poo poo, if it's Chicago or Minny or something I'd still make the trip to see "The River" played live. :allears:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Kill For Love has some excellent tracks (The first 4 and the last 2) but I can't remember which track is which with the inbetween ones. The pauses in some of them annoy the gently caress out of me too.

Also its good to see P4K give a bad review to Alt-J, finally my dislike of them despite all my friends pushing them is validated.

desert diver
Mar 30, 2010

Can someone recommend some good artists or bands that use a lot of piano?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Odd timing — Spotify just recently got Kill for Love so I've listened to it quite a bit while at work. It's good for that, at least, but it could be cut down by about 30 minutes and I don't think I'd notice.

desert diver posted:

One that popped to mind was Shearwater. Not so much recently; check out their 2008 LP, Rooks — specifically "On the Death of the Waters," "Home Life" and "The Snow Leopard"

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 28, 2012

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

desert diver posted:

Fiona Apple.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Schremp Howard posted:

For the love of all things holy go see Cloud Nothings. Their set at Pitchfork was incredible and I keep thinking that Attack on Memory is my album of the year.

this. I was lucky enough to catch them last weekend here in Lexington as part of a local music festival Boomslang (UK's student-run radio station, WRFL, puts on Boomslang every year, but there's no centralized location other than downtown, the bands just play at different clubs/bars around here). I was shocked because there couldn't have been more than 100 people there, total, and I got to be right up front -- and a little too close to the speakers. Pretty sure I had mild tinnitus for two days after the show.

Loud, incredible music. Attack On Memory is definitely in my top three for albums of the year, for sure (I pretty much flip between it, "Bloom" by Beach House and "The Money Store" by Death Grips, depending on my mood).

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

desert diver posted:

Wakey Wakey
Jukebox the Ghost

Both on spotify and awesome.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Count Chocula posted:

The album of the year so far is the last Menzingers album, with the Smith Street Band, Mountain Goats, Murder By Death and Japandroids coming a close second. The new Mountain Goats album is streaming and it's fantastic, but Murder By Death might beat it. Titus Andronicus will probably beat them all.

Japandroids are lapping the field for me, but that Menzingers album is pretty great and I've been listening to it a lot in the last month or so. Thanks to this thread for recommending it.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

desert diver posted:

Ben Folds.

Benadryl Brownie
Aug 18, 2005

Haway les gars
Kind of in a funk and can't find anything I like. So please, fire away with some suggestions. I'll listen to generally everything, but lately it's been a lot of John Maus, Molly Nilsson, Shellac, Lightning Bolt, Women and Big Black.

Basically, I like noise. However I've also been listening to tons of Drive By Truckers, Lucero, Smog and John Prine. So whatever.

I just need something new. :(

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Benadryl Brownie posted:

Kind of in a funk and can't find anything I like. So please, fire away with some suggestions. I'll listen to generally everything, but lately it's been a lot of John Maus, Molly Nilsson, Shellac, Lightning Bolt, Women and Big Black.

Basically, I like noise. However I've also been listening to tons of Drive By Truckers, Lucero, Smog and John Prine. So whatever.

I just need something new. :(
If you like Lightning Bolt there's always Death From Above 1979, which is basically "Lightning Bolt but you can dance to it."

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Criminal Minded posted:

Oh hi there. :v: Needless to say I agree. Ever heard their In the City EP? It's pretty good but it has what might be my favorite thing by them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nzqFCTld0g

But yeah. Kill for Love is probably my favorite album in years, I was listening to it obsessively a few weeks ago. I might have to turn it on again. Italians Do It Better in general is pretty sweet; Desire has a great album, and Glass Candy's stuff is all pretty solid, with a few standout tracks. Nobody else that stands up to Chromatics, though. I'm dying for them to come somewhere in the midwest. Ideally KC or STL so it'd be a hometown show for me, but poo poo, if it's Chicago or Minny or something I'd still make the trip to see "The River" played live. :allears:

I was gonna see them in Austin the day after my birthday this year, but the guy I was gonna go with (and whom was going to drive me there since I am without a car) flaked out because he planned a date with my ex for that day. To say I was unhappy would be the understatement of the damned century.

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

Count Chocula posted:

The album of the year so far is the last Menzingers album, with the Smith Street Band, Mountain Goats, Murder By Death and Japandroids coming a close second. The new Mountain Goats album is streaming and it's fantastic, but Murder By Death might beat it. Titus Andronicus will probably beat them all.

The Mountain Goats never seem to disappoint. John Darnielle has an unlimited amount of good indie songs, it seems. I don't think Transcendental Youth is quite as good All Eternal Decks but still extremely solid. White Cedar and Transcendental Youth are some of my favorite songs he has ever done.

I don't know if this is the place to put this, but Tall Tales Vol. 1 by American Gospel is probably my album of the year. I gave it a pass when it first came out, but I've been really listening to it this past week and it's really amazing. standouts are I Know, Say, Hunting Boar, better Off, I'll Never Let You Go, and Geronimo. Really though, I love it all.

You can listen to the album on bandcamp:

http://americangospel.bandcamp.com

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Didn't see Melody's Echo Chamber mentioned yet. Fantastic shoegaze-y psych-pop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v29I0srhPwg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kev2S1C3CiU

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you like Lightning Bolt there's always Death From Above 1979, which is basically "Lightning Bolt but you can dance to it."

I just found out that they are getting back together. I'm really excited since I never had a chance to see them. They're shows look like so much fun.

edit: And by "they" I mean Death From Above.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Anyone heard Blues Control? I'm probably seeing them next week. Kinda low-fi punky stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlUyUvSaZKo

Sammich
Sep 30, 2012

I mean, what else am I gonna do? I sit up here and I read the labels. Light goes on... Light goes off... That's pretty much my day.

FoxxorTheRed posted:

I just found out that they are getting back together. I'm really excited since I never had a chance to see them. They're shows look like so much fun.

edit: And by "they" I mean Death From Above.

Yeah, I guess it all started with a riot at their first reunion show at SXSW, a few more rehash shows of their old albums since then, and now suddenly they've got a teaser video. I'm excited to see where this is going.

http://deathfromabove1979.com/song-cpr/

edit: Speaking of crunchy crunch crunch, Death Grips just released a new song. For once I could see dancing to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxYDoA51KdI

Sammich fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 2, 2012

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
That entire Death Grips album is insane. The situation around it is pretty crazy too. It was all set to be released October 23rd, and then Epic dicked around and said "naw let's wait until 2013." Death Grips then said gently caress it and uploaded the full album on their website for stream and download, and the website then went down a few hours later. That then led to Death Grips posting a ton of links on twitter in response with multiple sites that had it for download. Strange to say the least.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Sammich posted:

Yeah, I guess it all started with a riot at their first reunion show at SXSW, a few more rehash shows of their old albums since then, and now suddenly they've got a teaser video. I'm excited to see where this is going.

http://deathfromabove1979.com/song-cpr/

DFA is the only band i'd continue to see the old tracks played every 5-7 years.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

So I posted these guys a few months ago, and they've since released a new album, so check it out!

The Weeks - Gutter Gaunt Gangster

http://theweeks.bandcamp.com/

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Where is the Mumford & Sons thread? :(

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Suicide Watch posted:

Goons only like obscure hipster stuff

Sammich
Sep 30, 2012

I mean, what else am I gonna do? I sit up here and I read the labels. Light goes on... Light goes off... That's pretty much my day.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Goons only like obscure hipster stuff

It's not that you haven't heard of it,

it's that you probably wouldn't like it anyway. :smuggo:

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Suicide Watch posted:

You could make one, but I bet it would be full of people that hate them pretty quickly. :shrug:

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Suicide Watch posted:

I'm not a fan of them, but please talk about them in my Country, Folk, and Alt-Country thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3502828

'Indie' is a bit weird; over in Australia all the big British NME indie bands play massive tours and Mumford are so mainstream they opened up a shop.

I find them a bit bland, and not the good kind of bland.

Death Grips are just... yeah. I don't even know how to begin to engage with them, and half my friends are utterly obsessed.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Count Chocula posted:

Death Grips are just... yeah. I don't even know how to begin to engage with them, and half my friends are utterly obsessed.

It took a little bit for "The Money Store" to click with me, but when it finally did, it was like magic. I've only had one listen through on the new album and while I definitely don't think I'm gonna love it like I did the first one, can't write anything off yet just because of how weird Death Grips is.

But seriously, like half of my favorite songs of the year are off The Money Store (Get Got, The Fever, Hustle Bones, Double Helix, I've Seen Footage, Hacker).

Plus, Hacker is the most randomly quotable and hilarious song I've heard in years.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Lblitzer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47u8kSRusfE

Why? - Strawberries

Really like it, rumors are that the new album is a lot more hiphop/rappy like Alopecia but tracks like this really help make the albums much better.

This is a fantastic album, all in all. A very nice return to form after the disappointing (IMO) previous album. There are a lot of really nice beats and lyrics going on throughout this thing. I especially like "Johnathan's Hope" and "Kevin's Cancer".

^I've already got a good four listens on the new Death Grips behind me, and I'm thinking I like it better than TMS. I actually rather like the direction they've taken with this album and mellowing it out a bit, it makes it a lot more accessible and I just feel the music more easily. Though I think I'll need to listen to TMS again to compare, it's been a while.

And "Artificial Death in the West" is undoubtedly going to go down as one of the tracks of the year, it is simply fantastic.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Traitorous Leopard posted:

So I posted these guys a few months ago, and they've since released a new album, so check it out!

The Weeks - Gutter Gaunt Gangster

http://theweeks.bandcamp.com/

Is this a Mississippi group? I noticed you have a Dan Mullen avatar and the first song mentions Mississippi and then I noticed the cover for Rumpsringa....which I saw in the "local" section at my local record store.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The Mountain Goats new album Transcendental Youth came out today, and unsurprisingly it is entirely fantastic. Some of the horn arrangements on the album are just stunning, and Jon Wurster's drumming accentuates them really well on the title track. Also there is some kind of recording trick going on in Night Light and I have no idea what they're doing to make that buzzing sound.

Here's a soundcloud to a demo version of Night Light http://soundcloud.com/mergerecords/the-mountain-goats-night-light

I like the direction the band has been taking since probably what, The Sunset Tree? Get Lonely? Definitely worth picking up. Does anyone know who composed the horns on the album?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Suicide Watch posted:

I prefer Fleet Foxes.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

BonoMan posted:

Is this a Mississippi group? I noticed you have a Dan Mullen avatar and the first song mentions Mississippi and then I noticed the cover for Rumpsringa....which I saw in the "local" section at my local record store.

Yes sir, they got together at Delta State I believe. They're based out of Nashville now.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Yes sir, they got together at Delta State I believe. They're based out of Nashville now.

Ah..DSU. I made some Fighting Okra commercials for them this year! Fun stuff.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

BonoMan posted:

Ah..DSU. I made some Fighting Okra commercials for them this year! Fun stuff.

Those commercials are the bee's knees. Fightin' Okra is the best mascot

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

cheese eats mouse posted:

I prefer Fleet Foxes.

Magnetic Zeros all the way.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Old Crow Medicine Show

My co-worker just heard Mumford & Sons, and said they were 'different from most stuff on the radio'. I guess she means they use real instruments (or pretend to) but it's good that indie folk can still be shocking in 2012, even when the band is the largest in Australia.

rabidsquid posted:

The Mountain Goats new album Transcendental Youth came out today, and unsurprisingly it is entirely fantastic. Some of the horn arrangements on the album are just stunning, and Jon Wurster's drumming accentuates them really well on the title track. Also there is some kind of recording trick going on in Night Light and I have no idea what they're doing to make that buzzing sound.

Here's a soundcloud to a demo version of Night Light http://soundcloud.com/mergerecords/the-mountain-goats-night-light

I like the direction the band has been taking since probably what, The Sunset Tree? Get Lonely? Definitely worth picking up. Does anyone know who composed the horns on the album?

Matthew E. White, according to Time Magazine: http://entertainment.time.com/2012/09/25/mountain-goats-john-darnielle-on-songwriting-for-tormented-souls/

I love John Darnielle:

"People were saying, ‘You’re going to write songs about how much you love your son,’ and I was like two middle fingers in the air, no, I’m not."

Would anybody object to a dedicated Mountain Goats thread? I feel the urge. The urge to sperg.

Bob Mould is touring soon, playing the Sugar album Copper Blue it it's entirety. I may go.

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009
Wait a sec, how is there NOT a Mountain Goats thread. I've had the new album on repeat all day.

I am loving how hes using piano more on stuff. It provides a nice change of pace.

Its just so awesome. I'm back on lakeside view apartment suite. The bass on this song. Its all so amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
New Titus Andronicus leaked. It's called Local Business. I'm in the middle of my first listen as I type this, and it's good so far. Will probably take a few listens to truly appreciate, as with The Monitor, but it seems promising.