Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Checking out Ufomammut's Snailking and Intronaut's Valley of Smoke. Tomorrow's commute will be heavy as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

rxcowboy posted:

Checking out Ufomammut's Snailking and Intronaut's Valley of Smoke. Tomorrow's commute will be heavy as gently caress.

Valley of Smoke is loving awesome FYI. One of my favorites probably.

I have never checked out Ufomammut before, but I'm doing it now and wondering why it took me so long to listen to them. Awesome.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

rxcowboy posted:

So I started a new job a few weeks ago, and it's a long rear end commute on the bus to get to work. About an hour and a half each way. While the distance blows, it's given me a great chance to just put my headphones in and listen to music. I can listen to pretty much a full album each way.

I've been tearing through Neurosis, Cult of Luna, Isis, Ahab, Om, and YOB. I know they are very different bands, but they all share a similar massive, oppressive sound that I love. What other groups sound similar that I should look into?

Bongripper - Satan Worshiping Doom
Love Sex Machine

Gushing Granny posted:

It's the trumpet crescendo man, I swear.

I also checked out some of YOB's albums, both The Great Cessation and Atma. They're pretty great and I wish I could have seen them live from what the rest of you say about them. Adrift In The Ocean is by far my favourite song by them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnijxVBQ1A4

You should make sure to check out Catharsis for "Aeons" and The Unreal Never lived for "Quantum Mystic" while on the Yob kick. Both are great albums. Same with The Illusion of Motion.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
Yeah Valley of Smoke is real good. I think I still prefer Prehistoricisms, but Valley of Smoke is solid all the way through.

Speaking of real good, I just got through a couple listens of the promo for the new Bison BC record Lovelessness. It's a way bigger sound for them, bleak and angry as hell and it loving slays.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Velocirocktor posted:

Speaking of real good, I just got through a couple listens of the promo for the new Bison BC record Lovelessness. It's a way bigger sound for them, bleak and angry as hell and it loving slays.

Lucky bastard. How'd you manage that? The 2 or 3 songs they've released so far are awesome as hell. I knew something great was going to happen when they mentioned working with Sanford Parker.

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

You should make sure to check out Catharsis for "Aeons" and The Unreal Never lived for "Quantum Mystic" while on the Yob kick. Both are great albums. Same with The Illusion of Motion.

I'll be sure to, although I was a little unsure of the vocals on Atma.

Can someone recommend me some essential desert rock, please? I checked out Truckfighters and it didn't do much for me.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

rxcowboy posted:

So I started a new job a few weeks ago, and it's a long rear end commute on the bus to get to work. About an hour and a half each way. While the distance blows, it's given me a great chance to just put my headphones in and listen to music. I can listen to pretty much a full album each way.

I've been tearing through Neurosis, Cult of Luna, Isis, Ahab, Om, and YOB. I know they are very different bands, but they all share a similar massive, oppressive sound that I love. What other groups sound similar that I should look into?

Fall of Efrafa, The Atlas Moth, Unearthly Trance.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

rxcowboy posted:

Omega Massif

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

An Update From Baroness

quote:

When the bus hit the ground, I flew like a missile into the windshield. I can still see the double-paned auto glass turning blue and the spider-webbing cracks spreading outwards from the impact my body made. I hit the glass so hard, that the entire windshield flew from the frame to the ground, and I bounced back inside the bus. I landed on the ledge of the windshield. This came with an immediate and overwhelming pain throughout my body. I surveyed the damage to see instantly that my left leg was very obviously and badly broken. Then I lifted my arms forward to see if either had been damaged. My right arm was covered in burns, blood and broken glass, but working well enough. My left arm was crushed beyond belief, broken in the middle of the bone in my upper arm (humerus), and hanging 90 degrees backwar ds, with many spurs of bone poking through muscles and sinew at the surface of my skin. The bone was shattered into seven free-floating pieces, and my wrist and hand were swinging behind my back, spasming freely. Instinctively, I reached behind my back, grabbed my wrist and re-broke my arm forwards, hugging it to my chest, where it remained for the next three hours until it was cast in plaster. Meanwhile, I watched as some of the band was able to get off the bus and help the others, many of whom were broken-up as well, and several of whom were unconscious. There was blood, glass and diesel fuel everywhere.

:stare:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Oh my god

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
That is so loving metal.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Heavy as gently caress

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Wow, sounds like they are all pretty fortunate to not be dead.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
They need to ditch this lovely new sound and go death metal. That little recap has at least three or four album names, a dozen song titles and a few full songs of lyrics already.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Morbid Florist posted:

They need to ditch this lovely new sound and go death metal. That little recap has at least three or four album names, a dozen song titles and a few full songs of lyrics already.

I would not be at all surprised if they wrote some really heavy stuff after this. I almost can't imagine them NOT doing that...

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic

ethan posted:

Lucky bastard. How'd you manage that? The 2 or 3 songs they've released so far are awesome as hell. I knew something great was going to happen when they mentioned working with Sanford Parker.

I write for a friend's tiny website that is in a lot of press pools so we get some cool promos now and then. I've listened to it a few more times since I posted and it's just getting better.

Jesus Christ. We're probably going to be getting some pretty intense songs out of that. They're lucky to be alive. Credit to whoever designed the bus. Unless he did the brakes too.

Were there any updates on the crew and driver lately? I've heard updates about the band but I remember reading that one of the other people on the bus had sustained "life-changing injuries" or something like that. I'm guessing the driver since they said he had to be air lifted to another hospital.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Trip report: Listened to Intronaut "Smoke in the Valley" on the way to work.

:siren: :2bong: Holy poo poo this album rules! :2bong: :siren:

Fantastic, loved the fact I could actually make out the vocals, great sound, one of the best albums I've heard lately. I'll have to check out their previous work now.

On the way home, tried to get into Ufommamut's Snailking. Couldn't do it. Admittedly I gave up after three songs, but first three songs didn't grab me at all. Since it was dreary and raining out I put on Ahab instead. I feel I made the right call.

I'll try again with Ufomammut tomorrow morning though. With how much everyone raves about them, I have to be missing something.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Get Prehistoricisms ASAP, it's my favorite album of Intronaut's but I wish it had Justin Chancellor like Valley of Smoke.

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES

Holy loving poo poo.

I'm inclined to check them out now.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

rxcowboy posted:

On the way home, tried to get into Ufommamut's Snailking. Couldn't do it. Admittedly I gave up after three songs, but first three songs didn't grab me at all. Since it was dreary and raining out I put on Ahab instead. I feel I made the right call.

I'll try again with Ufomammut tomorrow morning though. With how much everyone raves about them, I have to be missing something.

Snailking is probably my least favorite. There's that weird sound on it. Go for Eve or either of the Oro albums.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Snailking is probably my least favorite. There's that weird sound on it. Go for Eve or either of the Oro albums.

Glad to know I'm not the only one that thought it sounded weird. Which Oro should I go for first?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Definitely listen to them in order. I still prefer Eve though, it's a bit more focused.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I would not be at all surprised if they wrote some really heavy stuff after this. I almost can't imagine them NOT doing that...

I could easily see it going the complete opposite direction. Based on what they've said about the background of Yellow&Green (and gently caress the haters, it was a great album), they could just as easily be inspired to write really mellow stuff. But I mean, this is just based on a few interviews I've read/watched, so I guess there's no way for us to know until they actually write new songs.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Velocirocktor posted:

I write for a friend's tiny website that is in a lot of press pools so we get some cool promos now and then. I've listened to it a few more times since I posted and it's just getting better.

Ah sweet. I can't wait to get my grubby mitts on it. My work is right next to their jam space so maybe I can sweet talk my way into hearing it early.

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES
Checked out "The Unreal Never Lived" by YOB today. I liked what I heard but I'd have to give it another going over before I'm familiar with it. Every chord they played in sequence seemed to fit really well. Looking for something more on the stoner rock side of things, like Electric Wizard. Any suggestions?

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Just a friendly reminder that Roadburn tickets go on sale tomorrow!

Amongst the confirmed acts are Electric Wizard, Moss, Alcest, Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats, Pallbearer, Hour of 13, Pilgrim, Witchsorrow, The Ruins of Beverast, Mourning Beloveth, Godflesh, Primordial, Les Discrets, Wo Fat, Cult of Luna, Asphyx, Jess & the Ancient Ones, and with a lot more to be announced. Since I'll be at work when they open the sale, I'm trusting that either my brother or one of my dutch friends will get an extra ticket despite of the pre-sale party gimmick they're doing this year.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Gushing Granny posted:

Checked out "The Unreal Never Lived" by YOB today. I liked what I heard but I'd have to give it another going over before I'm familiar with it. Every chord they played in sequence seemed to fit really well. Looking for something more on the stoner rock side of things, like Electric Wizard. Any suggestions?

I wouldn't really compare these bands to Electric Wizard but here are some bands on the stoner side of things that are worth checking out:

Elder - Dead Roots Stirring is a really great album, it took several listens for it to click though.
Stoned Jesus - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B7u5nHQ2W0
Kamni - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nxWMGWCdz4

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
October is awesome because I can listen to crushing stonery music that makes me think of Halloween, like

Acid Witch,
Bongripper,
Horrific,
and
Hooded Menace

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Heads up, Roadburn pre-sale tickets are going to go up in 5 minutes:
http://www.ticketmaster.nl/event/roadburn-festival-including-afterburner-tickets/102365?language=en-us&tm_link=tm_header_lang2

(link is to 4-day ticket, other options are below)

Sorry for the short notice :(

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Idioteque Dance posted:

Heads up, Roadburn pre-sale tickets are going to go up in 5 minutes:
http://www.ticketmaster.nl/event/roadburn-festival-including-afterburner-tickets/102365?language=en-us&tm_link=tm_header_lang2

(link is to 4-day ticket, other options are below)

Sorry for the short notice :(

Just snatched ours, already getting pumped for next year, which will be my third visit to Tilburg! :350:

ElectricWizard fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 4, 2012

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
Quantity: 2
ROADBURN FESTIVAL INCLUDING AFTERBURNER
Thursday, 18 April, 2013 15:30

fukyeaaaah

e: still waiting for Neurosis to be confirmed though

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Yep, our group of 5 managed to snag all of our tickets!

I'm going to try not to go round the entire weekend in an absolute stoned daze. At a doom gig in Bristol a couple of months back, some guy just came up to me and said "dude, when I saw you at Roadburn you were absolutely out of your mind." :I

Anyway - Electric Wizard curating! Can't wait. Just hope we can score some better accommodation than the campsite this time. No big deal if not though, at least it's a hell of a lot less messy than any big-scale festival site.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Bought 2 3-day tickets because all that's currently known for the Afterburner is Sigh and gently caress that poo poo.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

QPZIL posted:

October is awesome because I can listen to crushing stonery music that makes me think of Halloween, like

Acid Witch,
Bongripper,
Horrific,
and
Hooded Menace

You wait for October? Pfft.

I don't know if the new Menace Ruine can even be considered black/drone like their past works, but I'm absolutely in love with it. It's like a posthumous Nico album released from the bowels of hell.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yo HTML5,are you in Bongripper? If so, you are awesome.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yo HTML5,are you in Bongripper? If so, you are awesome.

Yea, I was about to say the guitarist from Bongripper just posted this in the rig thread on foreverdoomed.com

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Yea, I was about to say the guitarist from Bongripper just posted this in the rig thread on foreverdoomed.com
it was posted on Facebook too. It must be cool to read threads that your band gets praised in all the time.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Or he could have just reposted Bongripper's photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dunno, he posts in the ambient drone thread in Entertainment Weakly about HateBasement, which is one of the dudes from BR if I recall.