Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Bob NewSCART posted:

Pretty much every single one of Audis line up is at the least decent right now which is something to be said, and when they look good they look very good.

Also, the A7 interior is way ahead of similarly priced cars. My dad recently got an A7 the interior is almost as good as his previous car that was twice the cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

CornHolio posted:

The vents aren't in front of the beverages, only the controls. Otherwise... well, it'd still be pretty stupid, but at least I have other vents. I only have those controls!

Oh; on my allroad the dash cupholder is right in front of the vent, which is actually kind of awesome.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve

Yummers posted:

So true. If you love your car and you worked hard to own it, then cup holders aren't for "cups". Water bottles only in my IS F. Over the weekend, on my way to a tailgater, some douche magouche who I barely know, and who obviously doesn't appreciate nice things, was riding in my back seat and desperately wanted to crack a beer open in my cabin. He even asked a third time after I told him "gently caress! no!" twice (strike 1). And at the tailgater he sat on my bumper (strike 2). Then he pops the lid of a beer bottle with a lighter and splashes beer on my bumper (strike 3). Needless to say he didn't get a ride back home. That classless fool can take the bus next time.

Either you're kind of a sperglord dick or you hang out with people who have the same propensity for spilling as three year olds. Yeah he sounds like a real winner but unless he was rubbing his rear end all over your bumper with his riveted jeans he wasn't doing poo poo to your paint (and if he was it sounds like you need a wax job or a new paint job) and splashed beer is easily fixed with some of that perrier you doubtless have chilled in your trunk. Although I guess the minerality may abrade your clearcoat.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Why would you take a car to a tailgate if you didn't want people to sit on it or drink beer near it?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So I noticed the new Panamera wagon is a Malibu Maxx.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Hey guys, if we angle the D-pillar hard enough enough, maybe customers won't even notice a wagon! Yeah! I'm sure that's worth losing a whole ton of cargo space.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Throatwarbler posted:

Wonder how much that camera weighs to the right

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Throatwarbler posted:

You need your eyes checked.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Bob NewSCART posted:

Wonder how much that camera weighs to the right

The camera and the steadicam rig probably weighs about 55-65 pounds, but it's all strapped around you so it feels more evenly distributed throughout your body. I imagine working a car show isn't too stressful but it's a pretty demanding job and people burn out after a while.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Yummers posted:

So true. If you love your car and you worked hard to own it, then cup holders aren't for "cups". Water bottles only in my IS F. Over the weekend, on my way to a tailgater, some douche magouche who I barely know, and who obviously doesn't appreciate nice things, was riding in my back seat and desperately wanted to crack a beer open in my cabin. He even asked a third time after I told him "gently caress! no!" twice (strike 1). And at the tailgater he sat on my bumper (strike 2). Then he pops the lid of a beer bottle with a lighter and splashes beer on my bumper (strike 3). Needless to say he didn't get a ride back home. That classless fool can take the bus next time.

It's just a car man. At the end of the day, everything's cleanable and repairable with the right combination of time, money, and product. Not sure an early heart attack is worth your rage fueled panic attacks over ridiculously harmless poo poo like that.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Naky posted:

It's just a car man. At the end of the day, everything's cleanable and repairable with the right combination of time, money, and product. Not sure an early heart attack is worth your rage fueled panic attacks over ridiculously harmless poo poo like that.

I understand the sentiment though. He obviously cares about his car, works hard to keep it clean, etc. When someone is doing borderline stuff like that, you're in a situation where if anything is said you become the overprotective rear end in a top hat. Surely you can see the difference between sitting on the bumper of a Cavalier and an IS F though, right?

Yummers
Mar 5, 2011

if you like my car STEP OFF BITCH I HAVE NO TIME FOR YOU

also ask me about shapnel wounds

Naky posted:

Sigh...
I didn't expect a response like that in automotive insanity. Would you let some random character, who is faded on a bender, put on a poo poo-show around your $65,000 car? I know all my friends with high dollar cars think I'm a fool for even considering driving to a sporting event like I did. At any rate, no, I didn't have a heart attack and I didn't blow my lid. I was respectful about telling him to be cool near my car. It was more of a letdown to myself for putting myself in a situation like that. You have to understand this isn't a Toyota Corolla. Minor paint work for an ultrasonic blue IS F typically starts in the low 4 figure range if you want it done right...and I don't need that hassle. Seriously though, who sits on the bumper of a high dollar sports car with a special paint job? I even saw him leaning on her a few times. You don't do that! How is my frustration not understandable?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Yummers posted:

How is my frustration not understandable?

Your frustration is completely understandable; it's Naky's response that I don't get.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
All this cupholder talk

Seriously 52oz? Isn't that like 1.5 litres?

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Cream_Filling posted:

I've always found the German disdain for cupholders to be strange. Do they really expect people to pull over any time they want to take a drink of water?

Only North Americans are obsessed with being constantly hydrated.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yes; only Americans have an irrational fear of dehydration. ???

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This should explain the escalation process:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/406340
(I used to know how to time skip, but you'll have to go to 4:09 yourself)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I understand the sentiment though. He obviously cares about his car, works hard to keep it clean, etc. When someone is doing borderline stuff like that, you're in a situation where if anything is said you become the overprotective rear end in a top hat. Surely you can see the difference between sitting on the bumper of a Cavalier and an IS F though, right?
It's really the difference between damage received "in the line of duty", as it were, like a bit of gravel rash, and damage due to someone being a monkey and not respecting other people's property.

CharlesM posted:

Yes; only Americans have an irrational fear of dehydration. ???
Only Americans think the solution is three pints of Dr Pepper on the morning commute.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I last bought a Big Gulp in 1993 back when I was in college and didn't know any better.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 4, 2012

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Yummers posted:

Sigh...
I didn't expect a response like that in automotive insanity. Would you let some random character, who is faded on a bender, put on a poo poo-show around your $65,000 car? I know all my friends with high dollar cars think I'm a fool for even considering driving to a sporting event like I did. At any rate, no, I didn't have a heart attack and I didn't blow my lid. I was respectful about telling him to be cool near my car. It was more of a letdown to myself for putting myself in a situation like that. You have to understand this isn't a Toyota Corolla. Minor paint work for an ultrasonic blue IS F typically starts in the low 4 figure range if you want it done right...and I don't need that hassle. Seriously though, who sits on the bumper of a high dollar sports car with a special paint job? I even saw him leaning on her a few times. You don't do that! How is my frustration not understandable?

I'd get pissed at the guy asking to drink beer in the car, and MAYBE about them sitting on the bumper if they're wearing pants with poo poo that could scratch it (like the riveted jeans example). I wouldn't get pissed at someone accidentally splashing beer on the car, though. Birds poo poo on your car all the time; do you rage at the sky every time this happens?

I dunno, it's kind of asking for this kind of stuff to happen if you take your new car to a tailgating event. He was sitting on your "tailgate". If you're concerned about anyone getting near it, park far away and walk to where everyone else is. Although, in my experience, that just leads to other assholes parking way out on the far side of the lot, RIGHT NEXT to you. Why the hell do people do that?

Yummers
Mar 5, 2011

Yeah, I know I was asking for it and you can file it under lesson learned. My car doesn't go anywhere that doesn't have valet or at least a private lot from now on. And again, I completely disagree with anyone who should think it's okay to plant their 200lbs rear end on the bumper of a high dollar car. It's a car with an open trunk to access beer, not a "tailgate". And yeah I agree the beer splash on the bumper was maybe an overreaction even though the beer probably splashed into the trunk too.

Since this is a total derail from the original topic of cup-holders, I guess I should conclude with a car related moral to this story: When you have a flashy car that attracts attention, people come at you for different reasons under the guise of friendship -- you have to be able to determine which "friends" are fair-weathered. In the case of this story, I was hanging out with some sloppy drunks who don't appreciate other peoples stuff and were pathetically lingering around my car trying to catch pussy shrapnel. Lesson learned/never again/moving on. I'm going to another game tonight with a different group of friends and they're all about taking BART. Those are my people!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/map_of_the_week/2012/07/map_of_soda_consumption_americans_drink_more_than_anyone_else_.html
The US leads the world in soda consumption at an average 170 liters per person per year. :patriot:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
It shouldn't be surprising that you can pretty much match all the countries with high soda consumption with high rates of obesity either.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Yummers posted:

Yeah, I know I was asking for it and you can file it under lesson learned. My car doesn't go anywhere that doesn't have valet or at least a private lot from now on.

Heh, if you're worried about your car and you'll only park it with valets, I hope you've got a valet limp-mode key. I've recorded my car with Torque before and read the logs to find out the valets took my car for a .75 mile 7000-RPM joyride while I was in the restaurant.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I'll take whatever cup holder the company puts in, just don't chrome it out!

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Yummers posted:

Sigh...

Yeah, I know I was asking for it and you can file it under lesson learned. My car doesn't go anywhere that doesn't have valet or at least a private lot from now on. And again, I completely disagree with anyone who should think it's okay to plant their 200lbs rear end on the bumper of a high dollar car. It's a car with an open trunk to access beer, not a "tailgate". And yeah I agree the beer splash on the bumper was maybe an overreaction even though the beer probably splashed into the trunk too.

Since this is a total derail from the original topic of cup-holders, I guess I should conclude with a car related moral to this story: When you have a flashy car that attracts attention, people come at you for different reasons under the guise of friendship -- you have to be able to determine which "friends" are fair-weathered. In the case of this story, I was hanging out with some sloppy drunks who don't appreciate other peoples stuff and were pathetically lingering around my car trying to catch pussy shrapnel. Lesson learned/never again/moving on. I'm going to another game tonight with a different group of friends and they're all about taking BART. Those are my people!

OH MY GOD we get it you drive an expensive "high dollar" sports car. Get over it.

There's probably pussy shrapnel because they'd rather detonate themselves then deal with this kind of level of pretentiousness.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Dont touch the fuckin' grill bro. i already told you. Im trying to get this thing in a museum.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

ZippySLC posted:

pussy shrapnel

Thanks for the band name, Yummers.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Yummers posted:

When you have a flashy car that attracts attention, people come at you for different reasons under the guise of friendship -- you have to be able to determine which "friends" are fair-weathered. In the case of this story, I was hanging out with some sloppy drunks who don't appreciate other peoples stuff and were pathetically lingering around my car trying to catch pussy shrapnel. Lesson learned/never again/moving on. I'm going to another game tonight with a different group of friends and they're all about taking BART. Those are my people!

...And then I woke up with my cock in my hand, having just had the most intense dream I've ever had about the only person I could ever truly love; myself.

Seriously dude, get over yourself. If you think people are somehow drawn to you because of your generic two-box luxury car, you're deluding yourself. I drive a BMW, and while it is two generations old now, it's still almost immaculate, but even I don't think for a second that anyone other than myself cares about it whatsoever.

assfucker420
May 14, 2012

by T. Mascis
I wheel hot broads in my TOYOTA LUXURY SEDAN.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Nonsense posted:

I'll take whatever cup holder the company puts in, just don't chrome it out!
Don't buy a Porsche manufactured before 2002, then; you'll be utterly disappointed that they lack cupholders altogether. Not that the cupholders since then are any good, but at least there's a flimsy piece of plastic that pops out now that can hold a 12oz can. It's kinda funny how explicit the owner's manual is that you should never ever ever drive the car with a drink in the cupholder!

Yummers
Mar 5, 2011

MrChips posted:

...And then I woke up with my cock in my hand, having just had the most intense dream I've ever had about the only person I could ever truly love; myself.

Seriously dude, get over yourself. If you think people are somehow drawn to you because of your generic two-box luxury car, you're deluding yourself. I drive a BMW, and while it is two generations old now, it's still almost immaculate, but even I don't think for a second that anyone other than myself cares about it whatsoever.

Yeah whatever..you don't know wtf you're talking about but go ahead and keep thinking you do. Before getting my car I drove an 05 Civic LX sedan so I am acutely aware of how people treated me before and after. I bought the car for performance and to get some respect and breathing room on public roads. I only like to talk about my car in terms of performance, maintenance and detailing with other car people. That was the whole point of my mini rant...to shine a light on people who dig cars for pretentious reasons. And what was the point of your response anyways. I could care less what you think of my "two box" luxury car. I'm not fishing for compliments...but when just about everyone looks and then looks twice when I drive by,my opinion coming from a strictly observational place is that my car is "flashy".

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I doubt the average person knows the difference between an IS F and an ES350

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Look one: "Wow, that's a really bright blue. What is this shiny object?"
Look two: "Oh, it's just the cheapest Lexus. What kind of idiot puts a body kit and stick-on vents on a new Lexus?"

Seriously, I originally thought your post was a joke. If you're worrying about the price of basic repairs or service on a car, then you probably can't actually afford it. If you're going to sperg out about people in it, then why the hell are you offering to give people rides to a ball game where the plan is explicitly hanging around and drinking beer next to the car? And why do you give a poo poo that people giving you "respect" on the road? That's just dumb. As is the thought of buying a car explicitly for "hot bitchez bombs spraying pussy shrapnel" or whatever you're trying to say. And actual auto enthusiasts will make fun of you for driving a dumpy-looking Lexus with an automatic transmission when you could have bought an M3 or a Porsche.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 3, 2012

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Yummers posted:

Yeah whatever..you don't know wtf you're talking about but go ahead and keep thinking you do. Before getting my car I drove an 05 Civic LX sedan so I am acutely aware of how people treated me before and after. I bought the car for performance and to get some respect and breathing room on public roads. I only like to talk about my car in terms of performance, maintenance and detailing with other car people. That was the whole point of my mini rant...to shine a light on people who dig cars for pretentious reasons. And what was the point of your response anyways. I could care less what you think of my "two box" luxury car. I'm not fishing for compliments...but when just about everyone looks and then looks twice when I drive by,my opinion coming from a strictly observational place is that my car is "flashy".

Stop sperging, dude. You're painting yourself to be the biggest goddamn douchebag on these forums. I loving hate people like you. You're the kind of dick that goes to parties and won't shut up about his expensive whip that everybody just kind of shies away from or avoids outright so they don't have to hear it.

poo poo, if a friend is in my car and places a drink in the cupholder, they're using it for it's intended purpose. If I think it's in danger of spilling, I ask if they'll please hold it. It isn't the end of the world. Hell, even if they spill it, I'll just clean it up, because my friends are worth more than a stain in my car.

On topic, I like cupholders. They hold all sorts of stuff, including beverages on those long highway jaunts. It's nice to have a place to put a beverage. Anybody that says otherwise is in denial.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Yummers posted:

Before getting my car I drove an 05 Civic LX sedan so I am acutely aware of how people treated me before and after.

I, too, get all my self esteem and a sense of security of my place in this world from the car that I drive.

arts and craps
Nov 20, 2011

Yummers posted:

$65,000 car

Yummers posted:

high dollar sports car

Yummers posted:

high dollar car

Yummers posted:

flashy car

Yummers posted:

That was the whole point of my mini rant...to shine a light on people who dig cars for pretentious reasons.

Holy moley :irony:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Sorry dude, an LFA is a sports car. A lambo is a sports car. A ferrari is a sports car. A "sport" model daily driver lexus is not.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

CUPHOLDERS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

letgomyAgo
Aug 6, 2012

Yummers posted:

Sigh...

Minor paint work for just about any car regardless of color starts in the low 4 figures range. Your paint also isn't a 'special paint job'. It's a factory offered option and really costs a negligible amount more to paint that then the usual tri-coat bullshit Lexus throws on everything.

Should dude have leaned on your car? gently caress no, but pretending that it was only so unacceptable cause it a Lexus (can we say high end Camry?) makes you a jackass.

Oh, and uhh, since when does a Lexus get you 'respect and breathing room on the public roads'? That may be the dumbest sentence I have ever heard.

In actual on topic new car stuff news, anyone get a look at the new Jeep Liberty? Might just be the ugliest thing Chrysler has rolled out in years. Or I guess I should say Fiat, that is pretty clearly some Fiat style.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2014-jeep-liberty-spy-photos-news