Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FecalFajita
Jun 27, 2003
8=======D--
Duramax. Friend was pulling a 5th wheel trailer wide open up a mountain in Colorado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

FecalFajita posted:

Duramax. Friend was pulling a 5th wheel trailer wide open up a mountain in Colorado.

Your friend wouldn't happen to be this guy, wouldn't he?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDq3egJuQWk

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

e: nevermind

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

Your friend wouldn't happen to be this guy, wouldn't he?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDq3egJuQWk
I'm only up to about 6 minutes but why has this guy not pulled over and let the loving thing cool down a bit before going again?

Furthermore, why does he stay in the goddamn left lane as he's going 20 under the limit aaagh

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm only up to about 6 minutes but why has this guy not pulled over and let the loving thing cool down a bit before going again?

Furthermore, why does he stay in the goddamn left lane as he's going 20 under the limit aaagh

Kerrville, nuff said.

Kerrville is full of meth and drunks... and not much else.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

FecalFajita posted:

Ahh that explains the huge wrist pin and skirt area.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Driving in the left land on the interstate at 20mph under the speed limit, holding a video camera in one hand and talking on the phone. AI indeed.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Godholio posted:

Driving in the left land on the interstate at 20mph under the speed limit, holding a video camera in one hand and talking on the phone. AI indeed.

I'm having a hard time imagining a more stereotypical lovely American driver.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Godholio posted:

We need to start using "AS" for Automotive Stupidity. Or rear end for short.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Godholio posted:

And dicking around on a laptop.

SG-83
Sep 6, 2004

I guess it's not just a dog thing!
I hit a sharp bump of some kind in Spokane after dropping off a friend at the airport, didn't think much of it. About 5 miles out of the city, going about 75...the car starts to shake. I thought it was just the horribly lovely section of freeway, so I kept going. Then it quickly starts shaking really violently. So I decided to pull over.

I left a nice trail of rubber shreds going about 200ft down the freeway. :saddowns:

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

SG-83 posted:

I left a nice trail of rubber shreds going about 200ft down the freeway. :saddowns:

Well at least you stopped in time, the wheel doesn't look damaged.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Clearly he has to prove that the Cummins is inferior to his D-MAX.

SG-83
Sep 6, 2004

I guess it's not just a dog thing!

Dick Diggler posted:

Well at least you stopped in time, the wheel doesn't look damaged.
Unfortunately it got a huge dent along the inside edge. :( It's all good though, it gave me the excuse to move the rear wheels to the front and get a pair of 9" wide wheels along with new 255s (it had 235s front/rear).

I swear, every time I go up to that loving city something bad happens. Maybe next time someone will steal the car and allow me to get something cheaper/easier to maintain. :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Make sure to wash that rubber debris off the paint before it sets, otherwise you'll have to get something like the Mother's race rubber remover.

We had a tire failure like that turn into a few hours with rubbing compound and claybar just before the winter hit last year.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
From a Jeep forum I lurk at:

Apparently a fairly new cam just snapped in two. No signs of oil starvation or galling on the bearing surfaces. Casting flaw?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
What engine? I'm a little confused by the fact that there aren't the same number of cam lobes between each bearing journal, and there seem to be some missing. Is that all of the cam?

Also I thought cams were made from forgings or billet, not castings </metallurgy:spergin:>

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I think there's a piece missing that has 3 lobes.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're correct. Maybe I'm dumb but what's the 5th lobe on the lower end of the right hand section of cam for? Oil pump? Fuel pump?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

kastein posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're correct. Maybe I'm dumb but what's the 5th lobe on the lower end of the right hand section of cam for? Oil pump? Fuel pump?

The oil pump is driven off of the geared section near the front and the fuel pump would be electric; the missing section with 3 lobes brings the count up to 12, not counting the mystery lobe. Maybe a balance weight? :iiam:

Edit: I had it confused with a 4.0 cam :downs: No, that's what 4.0 cams look like. The extra lobe doesn't have a typical lobe profile in other pictures of that camshaft though.

EightBit fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 1, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I bet it's out of an AMC V8, that explains the distributor/oil pump drive gear being at one end of the cam instead of near the middle. Maybe an AMC V8 with a cam driven mechanical fuel pump on that 5th lobe? Countershaft like you guessed? The pics of a 360 I found online seem to show the fuel pump and distributor both being driven at the front of the engine, but pics of a 401 cam show a very similar setup to that one, at least if it still had the other 3 lobes.

Alphius
Nov 5, 2009
A small block Chevy has a distributor drive at the back of the engine and a mechanical fuel pump lobe at the front, just like that. I'm gonna say that is an SBC cam.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
It came out of a Chevy 327 swapped into a YJ.

Apparently the missing lobes dropped down and got chewed on by the crank. Broke a counterweight, piston skirt and holed the oil pan.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

gently caress, that sucks.

SBC really should've been one of the first things we guessed.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

kastein posted:

What engine? I'm a little confused by the fact that there aren't the same number of cam lobes between each bearing journal, and there seem to be some missing. Is that all of the cam?

Also I thought cams were made from forgings or billet, not castings </metallurgy:spergin:>

Cast camshafts are definitely in use in cheaper engines.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

kastein posted:

Only custom ground racing cams are going to be billets. Casting cams is far more common than machining them from billets though I think most are hot forged.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
so the gearbox problem in my track car turned out to be a little more serious than i thought

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Not so much a failure, but this was a royal PITA. Bought a 64k 1986 RX7 and had to do rotors. It had the factory originals still on it 26+ years later. They had welded themselves to the aluminum hubs. I broke the outside ring on the first one with a 5 pound sledge. The second I just cut in half and beat it off with a hammer.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

DefaultPeanut posted:

From a Jeep forum I lurk at:

Apparently a fairly new cam just snapped in two. No signs of oil starvation or galling on the bearing surfaces. Casting flaw?
Now that you bring it up, I've seen surprisingly little by the way of actual technical analysis about this on the forums. There's a lot that can be gleaned about the type of failure by analyzing the break- brittle failure, plastic failure, fatigue cracking, etc., all leave telltale signs and can help discern what caused the failure. Can you post high-res photos of the faces of the break?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

So that's why the diff isn't working...

(pretty sure that's a Ford 8.8" with an LSD, it just happens to be an upside down pic)

kastein fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 2, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Huh. Another one (stolen from a friend on another forum)

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
I wonder if there's a name for the weird psychological phenomenon of it feeling like I'm chewing on a mouthful of rocks when I look at those. :pwn:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Boat posted:

I wonder if there's a name for the weird psychological phenomenon of it feeling like I'm chewing on a mouthful of rocks when I look at those. :pwn:
Probably a variant of synesthesia.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You said you wanted a differential lock. It's locked. What are you complaining about? :colbert:

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

kastein posted:

Huh. Another one (stolen from a friend on another forum)

I can smell it from here.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I can hear the noise :cry:

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

I assume you tried screwing bolts into those two smaller holes and that didn't work?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Boat posted:

It's better than the feeling of chewing on a mouthful of teeth.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

BoostCreep posted:

I assume you tried screwing bolts into those two smaller holes and that didn't work?

I've posted this before. It's my go to for stuck rotors, has never failed me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtsTJCRljAs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

opengl128 posted:

I've posted this before. It's my go to for stuck rotors, has never failed me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtsTJCRljAs

Thanks for posting this, it's goddamn genius. Hopefully I don't have to do this too often, but it beats the gently caress out of hammering on those bitches.