Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wooph
Oct 28, 2010

by angerbot
Finally finished uploading this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OGazeuAIJM

Countering lunging super zombies never gets old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Bovineicide posted:

I'm not expecting to get this for another couple of days, but did they bring back crimson heads? If so, then :hellyeah:

Sort of. They're called "Bloodshots." They sometimes spawn out of zombies starting at the end of Leon's first chapter, and they're a pain in the rear end. You can counter their lunges for a one-hit kill, though.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thievery posted:

edit - why is it Resident Evil always seems to incite the most split positive and negative reviews after Final Fantasy?

Because they don't?

Most RE games are reviewed pretty favorably, some lower scores here and there around RE3 and RE Zero but for the most part RE games are well received, this is the only RE I've seen this with.

And QTEs are trash.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Wooph posted:

Ever since I watched RE4 gameplay videos I've always found Resident Evil reloading animations kind of funny. She's jamming another clip into her pistol with zombies like two feet away from her, which is understandable if a bit funny, but she's also looking down while doing it. I mean I understand the importance of reloading correctly but I'd want to keep one eye on the shambling undead within spitting distance. Although that video demonstrates that such a thing isn't as necessary as you'd think.

Wooph
Oct 28, 2010

by angerbot
In RE5 you didn't even need to reload. All you needed to do was combine your ammo into your gun in your inventory. You can even do this during any non interactive animation, like melee's or climbing up a ladder. Of course, this made the reload upgrades completely redundant.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
GOTY.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I really struggled on that stage for the longest time, and I still maxed out around maybe 90 dead enemies. Excellent work.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
I've been doing Jake's campaign, and I loved the Chapter 3 cutscene where Jake is raging about wesker being his father, and how his bloodline is "cursed" or some poo poo and Sherry just gives him a blank stare before chewing him out.

Also, just seeing Sherry running round as a relatively well adjusted adult brought a big smile to my face. After all the horrible poo poo that's happened to her, she turned out alright. Leon even hooked her up with a government job!

EDIT: Dressing her up in the skimpy hospital gown was pretty creepy though.

Abhorrence fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 3, 2012

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Ada's new VA is the worst kind of smug with none of the charm of the old one.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Game owns. Owns owns owns.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Playing through Leon's campaign now and I gotta say, the game owns for right now.

My boy Leon doe.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I don't know how it is with Leon or Chris, but going melee-only with Jake is a legit strategy.
Sliding into those lizard things and then imprinting every crevice and detail of your kneecap into their forehead is awesome.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

"I guess THE MUSCLE MEMORY saved me there!"

This game is delightfully bad like a RE game should be. I've only been playing Chris' campaign but it's real fun. The whole sliding/diving system is really interesting and you have to use it to not get murdered by the not ganados with guns. They can't aim for poo poo while your moving but sticking in cover just seems to be a terrible option 100% of the time.

Melee only isn't really an option though with so many guys spraying bullets everything it's just an awful idea to run into a group and try to melee a dude. Now one or two guys and Chris can backhand everyone into pieces.

Also gently caress the AI revives. I'm so glad there is a skill to disable them from doing it because every loving time in the first chapter what's his face ran over and got me up right into another attack. The AI really is just as bad as in RE5 but at least he can't be killed anymore. It seems like I have to play as if they aren't there at all because the NPC duders always seem to run right past like 50% of all enemies and the enemies always gun for me first too.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Wooph posted:

Seriously, anyone on the fence about this game just watch this video. Great work!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Was there some dueling rush of fans vs. hatred on this like with Dragon Age 2 or something?
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/resident-evil-6

0.5 user rating, pretty brutal. I didn't like the demo for this one at all and am gonna skip it but it was still a functioning game with awesome melee attacks and stuff. Haters gonna hate.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
So if I want to play the campaigns chronologically it's Jake then Brad then Leon, right?

Jake level 2 spoilers: Wow that giant icy hill sucks. The first time I did the fall on your back dodge to avoid a sniper and slid all the way to the bottom I just laughed. The second time I slid all the way to the bottom because I got hit by a sniper it stopped being so funny. Also, gently caress snow mobiles.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Was there some dueling rush of fans vs. hatred on this like with Dragon Age 2 or something?

0.5 user rating, pretty brutal. I didn't like the demo for this one at all and am gonna skip it but it was still a functioning game with awesome melee attacks and stuff. Haters gonna hate.

They went in the exact opposite direction that most fans of the series wanted and apparently (I dunno I have only played the demo, just going off reviews) didn't even do a great job making it into an action series. People that give angry 0 reviews are dumb but I understand why people are annoyed.

It's funny. I remember after RE5 I heard they were rebooting it an thought "Oh thank god, they are going shift it back to horror."

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Neo Rasa posted:

Compare the number of user ratings to other games. It's a little odd, the only ones that have the same number are the Call of Duty and Battlefield games. Even RE5 has like, 500 each platform.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but is Barry in this one at all?

Not that it will have any effect on my decision to buy the game seeing as it's already waiting for me at home

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

They went in the exact opposite direction that most fans of the series wanted and apparently (I dunno I have only played the demo, just going off reviews) didn't even do a great job making it into an action series. People that give angry 0 reviews are dumb but I understand why people are annoyed.

There are a bunch of different, very argumentative camps in the RE fan community, and a lot of them are pretty vocal. I'd imagine if you sat down and sifted through all the negative reviews, a fair number of them could be disregarded because their basises (bases?) are that RE6 isn't a 2000-era survival horror game, because Jill (or Claire or Sheva) isn't in it at all, or because of the presence of gunplay at all.

I mean, I think the game is pretty deeply flawed, but at least I'm judging it for what it actually is, you know?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Neo Rasa posted:

Is it bad that I kind of want to buy this game to spite these people? I wasn't planning on buying until a price drop but now I want to sooner.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

NESguerilla posted:

It's funny. I remember after RE5 I heard they were rebooting it an thought "Oh thank god, they are going shift it back to horror."
Just play Dead Space RE5 isn't horror anymore and that's OK.

Seriously, you people would have flipped out when Aliens was released.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pretty sure I didn't flip out, It's just a bummer to see a series I like take a turn in a direction I didn't want. What's this Dead Space you speak of (just kidding)?

Wanderer posted:

There are a bunch of different, very argumentative camps in the RE fan community, and a lot of them are pretty vocal. I'd imagine if you sat down and sifted through all the negative reviews, a fair number of them could be disregarded because their basises (bases?) are that RE6 isn't a 2000-era survival horror game, because Jill (or Claire or Sheva) isn't in it at all, or because of the presence of gunplay at all.

I mean, I think the game is pretty deeply flawed, but at least I'm judging it for what it actually is, you know?

The majority of the reviews that I glanced at didn't actually seem that unfair. I think Catlord is right about someone spamming it with low ratings and that's the reason it's at a 0.5

Espo the Great
May 12, 2009
If anyone is going to want a buddy to play through the campaigns with, I'll be playing every evening this week. Gamertag is same as user name, friend me! None of my friends have this game yet, so I'm hard up for some coop. Resident Evil 5 was awful single-player.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
OK, what the hell am I supposed to do in jake chapter 3 at the input passcode door? I don't see anything around that I can use to find out the code.
e: nevermind, got it

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 3, 2012

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

NESguerilla posted:

The majority of the reviews that I glanced at didn't actually seem that unfair. I think Catlord is right about someone spamming it with low ratings and that's the reason it's at a 0.5

The average of the 83 or so posted reviews w/comments is a little above 4, with most people either scoring a hard zero or a hard 10 with only a handful of inbetweeners. Interestingly, that's roughly what DA2 averaged out to as well under similar reviewing.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

NESguerilla posted:

The majority of the reviews that I glanced at didn't actually seem that unfair.
Yeah, that "they want it to be like the PS1 games" crap is a strawman, almost none of the more negative reviews make it a central criticism that it's not like the older games. But you could make a drinking game out of the reviews using words and terms like "identity crisis," "insecure," and "mishmash."

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

This game rules. Only got through the first chapter of Leon's campaign, but it took a few hours. It's pretty hard, even on normal. There's just not enough herbs...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Moving to open a door, Leon and Helena moved to either side of it and prepared to open. As they did so, a zombie did a jump kick at the door from off camera, then bounced off. Leon and Helena then slowly opened the door and walked inside. Then later they were killed by an offscreen ambulance, but not before flailing around in acid and watching every single vehicle in existence explode. This game is hilarious and fun. It'd be nice if I could trade items with my partner so I can give him a herb to not immediately die later, though.

Also they missed an opportunity to name Jake "Lil' Wesker".

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

FoneBone posted:

Yeah, that "they want it to be like the PS1 games" crap is a strawman, almost none of the more negative reviews make it a central criticism that it's not like the older games.

I probably should've looked at Metacritic before I said that. I was basing it on a bunch of forum/blog complaints I've seen.

RBA Starblade posted:

It'd be nice if I could trade items with my partner so I can give him a herb to not immediately die later, though.

If you use a herb pill, it also restores the same amount of your partner's health. I think it works at some ridiculously long range, too.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I'm not sure this is a good game, but it sure is a good time. Everything about it is ridiculous. Would I have liked a reboot, or a return to perhaps at least a Dead Space style mix of action and horror? Sure. RE6 definitely completes the transition from creepy horror game to Transformers 4 with zombies. That said, I think people forget that Resident Evil hasn't been a survival horror game since RE4, and by RE5, it was full on summer blockbuster schlock.

The only thing I can compare Resident Evil to at this point is Metal Gear. It is the only series of similar prestige (that I can think of) which has grown from a nice little standalone gem of a game on the PSX into a bloated, incomprehensible web of plot threads and spinoffs that still sell millions because the underlying mechanics are still pretty good.

I also absolutely love the way that the creature designs were dreamed up by a 12 year old and his Trapper Keeper. I like how in Chris's campaign, you have bioterrorists who have morphed into spider bodies with human torsos/heads. That's not the batshit part, oh no, the batshit part is that these half-spider, half humans STILL HOLD UZIS AS THEY SCURRY AROUND ON THE FLOOR WITH EIGHT LEGS. SPIDER MEN WITH GUNS. THAT'S WHAT IT'S COME TO.

Edit: I also like that however ridiculous and slightly janky this game is, there sure is a lot of it. For $60, I appreciate that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm honestly kind of bewildered by the negative-bombing. This game has problems but it's not even remotely on the level of Dragon Age 2 or whatever. I've gone through all of Jake's campaign and part of the others and I guess I'm not seeing it.

It's unfocused and really a bit too setpiece heavy (especially in Jake's chapter which is literally setpieces strung back to back). It's got some awkward places, some cheap deaths and some weird mechanics. It certainly could have used a bit more polish and time in the oven, but beyond that? It seems fine. Not a masterpiece but not some epic disaster either.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Jesus tapdancing Christ who the gently caress in development thought the rope climbing controls were okay?

e: Other than that, having a blast so far.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 3, 2012

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Leon's campaign is kind of annoying so far. Zombies you can't shoot until they suddenly decide to come to life and cars that hit you no matter what if you don't know where they're going to come from ahead of time? Kinda dumb.

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

In It For The Tank posted:

Jesus tapdancing Christ who gently caress in devlopment thought the rope climbing controls were okay?

Other than that, having a blast so far.

Oh god, I just finished playing Leon's campaign and that section is probably the most unintuitive mechanic I've ever seen in a video game. Sure it's easy once you realize you have to hold it until your arm extends all the way before switching to the other arm but I swear I must have fallen off something close to two dozen times before figuring it out and even then the game would still drop me for no reason on occassion.

You can also count me in as part of the group not understanding the hate for the game. Sure it may not be the absolute best and most polished game out there but I find that the core gameplay mechanics to be fun and engaging enough that the minor flaws the game has just don't bother me. At this point I've only finished Leon's campaign but I'm already enjoying it a hell of a lot more than I did RE4/5, and this is as someone who liked both those games and put plenty of hours into them. Aside from the aforementioned rope QTE and one other bullshit QTE involving a meat grinder, I never found myself getting annoyed at the game or wanting any section of the game to be over already. I'm already expecting Chris' to be boring but I am looking forward to playing the other two campaigns and playing a bunch of Mercenaries.

Disorientated
Sep 1, 2006

DehatstyTopinbout posted:

Okay for fucks sake, can you only buy skills when you're not in the middle of a chapter? I did it from the main menu between chapters but I can't seem to access it from the in game menus.

poo poo is annoying. When you press select and hit set skill or whatever it won't let me do anything. I do only have 3 skills in all 3 slots though so maybe I just can't do anything because I have nothing to switch out. I'm enjoying this so far but I feel like I'm missing something obvious with the skill stuff.

I know this was asked a while ago but you can only have a max of three skills equipped at one time. After you finish the first campaign it unlocks 8 skill groups (of three skills each) that you can switch between on the fly. You can only buy and assign skills to these 8 groups in between chapters however.

Trot_to_Trotsky
Dec 9, 2000
Must... Destroy... Capitalism...
Grimey Drawer
So is the game just generally hard as poo poo? I played a couple hours of the Leon campaign, and I am getting my rear end beat at every turn. I have taken to running away from zombies whenever possible because they're just horrible bullet sponges that murder me whether or not I complete the QTE (seriously, health exists in this game solely to be drained away...I am always on the brink of death).

My main criticisms of the game are that the controls feel kind of loose to me, which makes aiming a bear, and the frenetic pace of the action. There are moments when I just spin in a circle hitting the melee button, and that tends to work better than actually lining up shots and trying to kill things with my gun. This is compounded by the aforementioned bullet sponge zombies that take an absolute pounding before they die.

It's frustrating and is limiting the amount of fun I'm having, which is a huge bummer because I absolutely loved RE5.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I've only played Leon's campaign so far, but from what I've seen it's definitely harder than RE4 and RE5. I played through on Veteran and generally just got my rear end handed to me.

Grabs do a poo poo-ton damage and you're constantly going to get beat down by the bosses. I did. A lot. Couple that with zombies just generally being tankier and you have a definite recipe for the danger zone.

I spent the entire game pretty much running around with one bar of health. It just seemed more economical to have Helena revive me every time a zombie hit me and only use one herb rather than heal to full health and waste six of them (since I was going to get hit anyway). The only problem is that some enemies (especially the Crimson Head things) liked to kill me the second the invincibility frames from the adrenaline shot wore off, before I could heal.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

If you're not able to play this co-op, don't buy this game. I feel it's definitely a two player experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Man, all this melee and CQC and poo poo, and who's missing out?

I miss you, Billy :(