Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
When people at my bar ask me to make them something lately, I've been making New York Whiskey Sours

2oz whiskey (I give them Maker's Mark if I'm at work, Evan Williams if I'm at home)
1oz Lemon Juice
a dash of sugar

and then I float 1/4 or 1/2 an ounce of Cabernet on top by pouring it slowly over the back of a spoon.

It gives you that whiskey sour taste but makes it more fruity. My girlfriend loves them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
With sours, and especially the NY Sour, I have to say that without egg white, you're only getting half the drink. With the NY Sour, having the red wine suspended in the protein matrix the egg white creates so it stays in your nose before you drink the cocktail is my favorite part.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Kenning posted:

gently caress everyone, vermouth is delicious.

Red vermouth with a squeezed lemon wedge over ice is a Spanish classic. Nothing beats it on a hot day.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Tonight I made a Clover Club.

I liked it so much I painted my nails to match.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Do yourself a favor next time and toss in a bit of applejack for a Pink Lady. That's what's up.

This last Friday, btw, I had a rockin' good birthday party. Did up a sextuple batch of Regent's Punch just so I could say I used a whole case of champagne. It was off the chain. Single batch recipe follows:

Regent's Punch

8 oz. white brandy (I use BarSol Pisco) or VSOP Cognac
2 oz. batavia arrack
2 oz. Jamaican rum
2 oz. maraschino or pineapple syrup (I go for the syrup, even though I am a maraschino addict)
16 oz. strong green tea
4 oz. white sugar
the peel and juice of 1 bitter orange, 2 sweet oranges, and 2 lemons
2 bottles of champagne

Make your pineapple syrup by making a 2:1 turbinado or demerara syrup, then soaking a fresh-chopped pineapple in it over night. Strain through a cheesecloth, squeezing well to extract every last drop of pineappley deliciousness.

Muddle the citrus peels in the sugar and let sit for as long as possible. Dissolve with the squeezed, strained juice and the tea (which you make by steeping 2 tsp loose tea or 2 teabags with 16 oz. water for 5 minutes), fish out the peels, then add the syrup, spirits, and champagne. Then smile.

It's ridiculously delicious man. With a 6x recipe I use a 1 bottle each Gautier VSOP and BarSol Pisco, Batavia Arrack van Oosten, a blend of rums including Plantation Barbados 5 year, Wray and Nephew, and Lemon Hart Demerara 151, and Chandon California brut sparkling wine. I also happened to have just enough Seville oranges in the freezer.

No wonder George III went mad.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I know you guys will probably think it's an abomination but I really like a Dirty Gibson. I never really clicked with Martinis even though I love Gin but when I had it with a cocktail onion and splash of juice instead of olives it just worked for me. Gin, splash of Vermouth, splash of onion juice, garnished with an onion, mmmm.

Alas, I've been too poor to acquire more alcohol for playing with. I have a bottle of Pimm's No 1 Cup I've been drinking with lemonade (Sprite, whatever). Anything else neat I can do with it? It's pretty foul straight but mixed it comes alive.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

How do you have Pimms but not, say, gin? You've got to be in the UK, right? Only a Britgoon would acquire Pimms before bourbon or rum.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Nope, Australian here. The Pimm's was a gift. I had a nice stock of liquor but with bills and the like getting replacement bottles moved further down the list of priorities. And eventually it all got drunk. Hopefully there'll be no more surprise costs any time soon so I can start restocking.

The story for getting Pimm's instead of my usual Gin (Beefeater or Bombay Sapphire) was that I went over to a friend's place for a gathering (Not large enough to be a party). Usually it's BYO but he was kind enough to shout me a bottle of something. Originally that bottle was going to be Gin (He already had tonic ready for me) but I made the decision to not get it because it usually doesn't end well for the next morning. I usually drink a lot of it and get to the point where I'm drinking it straight instead of trying to portion it out with tonic. So I went looking for something different and noticed the store stocked Pimm's.

That's a lot of words to say "I suck at self control when it comes to Gin."

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hey man, gin rocks is incredibly delicious. Feel no shame.

So in the early days of spirits, and especially of gin, they drank something known as pop-in. Basically you'd take some beer, tip in a measure of spirits (usually gin or proto-gin) and then drink up. I just poured a shot or so of Bombay Dry into some Session Black Lager and Damned if it wasn't delicious. Juniper is very friendly to hops and dark malts. Y'all should give it a try, especially if you're looking for something tasty and quick.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
That's funny because beer is about the only thing I don't drink or eat. I've tried every one I could get my hands on but I just don't like it. I'll eat basically anything and drink everything under the sea except beer. Which severely hinders my drinking at parties where the only thing they have to drink is beer. Would it work decently with cider? Probably not, but that's as close I want to get.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

If you pour some applejack into cider it become one iteration of the Stone Fence, and one on which I have had some good times. I'm sorry to hear about your beer experiences – are you interested in describing the Beers You Have Known? It could be that everyone around you drinks poo poo beer and you just haven't tasted anything properly yummy.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Kenning posted:

If you pour some applejack into cider it become one iteration of the Stone Fence, and one on which I have had some good times. I'm sorry to hear about your beer experiences – are you interested in describing the Beers You Have Known? It could be that everyone around you drinks poo poo beer and you just haven't tasted anything properly yummy.

I'll have to try the Stone Fence then!

And sure, but if it bugs people I can move it to the beer thread (We still have one don't we?). Most of my beer experience comes from stuff you can buy from the local liquor stores BWS and Dan Murphy's. Like I said I've tried many different ones just in case I just had bad ones but I generally don't like the taste rather than "it would be better if it was more/less bitter, taste less hoppy" or that sort of thing.

Standard Australian beers like XXXX, VB, Foster's, Toohey's, Carlton Draught, Cooper's, James Boag's. On top of that there was Crown, James Boag's, Cascade, Hahn, Corona, Peroni, Heineken, Budweiser, Tiger, Lucky Beer (Whatever the hell that is), Beck's and Carlsberg. There's probably more but that's what I know I had after looking at DM's stock.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I'm hosting a party for a bunch of girls who love drinking but don't like anything too strong so I thought I'd make a sweet-ish punch that's preferably not too heavy. So far I was thinking some variation on vodka, Malibu and pineappple juice but I'd love some suggestions to make it more exciting.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

cyberia posted:

I'm hosting a party for a bunch of girls who love drinking but don't like anything too strong so I thought I'd make a sweet-ish punch that's preferably not too heavy. So far I was thinking some variation on vodka, Malibu and pineappple juice but I'd love some suggestions to make it more exciting.

On the off chance that Kenning doesn't show up to tell you all about punch and how terrible your punch sounds, your punch sounds terrible.

Make a nice champagne punch. What is your budget? The better, more expensive ingredients are in parentheses.

Half a bottle of brandy (Cognac)
Half a bottle of triple sec (Grand marnier, Contreau)
Maybe half a cup of fruity liqueur, to tast, like raspberry (Chambord).
A lemon, a few oranges, a pineapple
A couple bottles of champagne
Make some big ice cubes by freezing some nice clean water in little tupperware containers
Make it the non-champagne part of it the night before with the the pineapple and citrus things I bolded from *the following post (even better: just make the punch in the post, but it sounds like you want something simpler and lighter), then add the champagne, and maybe some gingerale, right before it's served. I've successfully put black raspberry ice cream in a similar punch (mine, not Kenning's). Your results may vary:

Kenning posted:

...Regent's Punch

8 oz. white brandy (I use BarSol Pisco) or VSOP Cognac
2 oz. batavia arrack
2 oz. Jamaican rum
2 oz. maraschino or pineapple syrup (I go for the syrup, even though I am a maraschino addict)
16 oz. strong green tea
4 oz. white sugar
the peel and juice of 1 bitter orange, 2 sweet oranges, and 2 lemons
2 bottles of champagne

Make your pineapple syrup by making a 2:1 turbinado or demerara syrup, then soaking a fresh-chopped pineapple in it over night. Strain through a cheesecloth, squeezing well to extract every last drop of pineappley deliciousness.

Muddle the citrus peels in the sugar and let sit for as long as possible. Dissolve with the squeezed, strained juice a
nd the tea (which you make by steeping 2 tsp loose tea or 2 teabags with 16 oz. water for 5 minutes), fish out the peels, then add the syrup, spirits, and champagne. Then smile.

edit: I'm pretty sure turbinado is just brown sugar. You can use honey, agave nectar, "sugar in the raw", or just fine white sugar instead.
-----
re-edit:
A much simpler suggestion.
The stock answer to your question of how to make anything with vodka better is, "use gin".

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 10, 2012

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Very Strange Things posted:

On the off chance that Kenning doesn't show up to tell you all about punch and how terrible your punch sounds, your punch sounds terrible.

Make a nice champagne punch. What is your budget? The better, more expensive ingredients are in parentheses.

Thanks for the suggestions. I do like the idea of pineapple syrup so I'll probably go with your punch idea.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Very Strange Things posted:

I saw the punch signal.

If you want light, appealing, and cheap, you need look no further than Limmer's Club Gin Punch. It's a classic, a perennial favorite, and easy as gently caress to make. Recipe follows; let me know if you have any questions.

Kenning posted:

If you want a really inexpensive punch that everyone will love, you can go with Limmer's Club Gin Punch. It's so cheap and so popular with my friends that I'm totally sick of it, but it'll definitely be a hit, and if you make it with handle of Beefeater or Bombay Original or especially New Amsterdam it's like $0.75/drink. It's also easy to scale and memorize.

Limmer's Club Gin Punch

1 oz. white sugar
2 oz. thick orange blossom syrup
3 oz. fresh lemon juice, strained
10 oz. London Dry gin
1 liter soda water

To prepare the orange blossom syrup make up a thick simple syrup with 2 cups sugar and 1 cup water and when it's off the heat stir in somewhere around a teaspoon of orange blossom water, to taste. It'll keep in the fridge for some time, in my experience, especially if you dose it with a bit of vodka.

For the punch, peel your lemons and muddle them with the sugar, then let sit for a half hour to an hour. Add your syrup, lemon juice, and gin, and stir to dissolve the sugar. It probably won't all dissolve easily, but that's okay, the soda water will dissolve whatever's left. Fish out the lemon peels, give it another couple stirs (to pick up any sugar that's settled) and then pour in the soda water. Finish with a block of ice (made in advance by freezing an appropriately-sized plastic or metal bowl of water overnight).

If you want to make it in advance, combine everything but the soda water and then store in a jug in your fridge. This is also good to do so the punch will be cold as soon as you serve it and the ice won't melt too quickly. You might want to shake it up before you serve it if you do this, in case of settling. This is a small recipe, but multiply everything by 2.5 for a full fifth of gin, or by 6 for a full handle. A fifth's worth is about a gallon of punch, while a handle gets you a 2.25 gallons, so make sure you have bowls to serve it in.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Oct 11, 2012

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Thanks for the recipes. If I can find orange blossom water I will do some test runs this weekend and see how everything tastes.

The biggest problem I face making big serves of punch is that I live in Australia and am paying $30-$40 for a fifth of low-end gin or vodka so anything that involves more than two or three ingredients quickly becomes prohibitively expensive. Especially if I'm trying to make enough for a dozen people :(

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That's why you should make my punch. If those are your prices, this is as cheap as you're gonna get. Also sorry that you're living in hell :(

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Thanks for the sympathy. It's terrible being a (broke) booze enthusiast in Australia but at least I can read this thread and live vicariously through you guys :allears:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I have some St. Vincent Sunrise 169proof rum, any recommendations for what to mix with?

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
Make some falernum.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Mix it with gasoline, the next time you fill up, to keep your carbs clean. (Don't though.)

I would make regular drinks or desserts and then float a little on top to set on fire. Put it out before you drink it or you might end up setting your shirt or your throat on fire.

A shot of Amaretto, topped with flaming high-proof rum, then chased with a double shot of beer is a fun shot.

Flaming cups of rum punch would be nice at a Halloween party.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
So... where do I get Hendrick's gin for cheapest?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

costco

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I asked because I thought Costco never carried Hendricks. Hmm...

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Kenning posted:

That's why you should make my punch. If those are your prices, this is as cheap as you're gonna get. Also sorry that you're living in hell :(

Just wanted to check in and say that I made your punch (using Tanqueray gin) and it's absolutely delicious :cheers: This will definitely be a regular drink for me through summer.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I asked because I thought Costco never carried Hendricks. Hmm...

Such u and sure

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

cyberia posted:

Just wanted to check in and say that I made your punch (using Tanqueray gin) and it's absolutely delicious :cheers: This will definitely be a regular drink for me through summer.
But fall is for scotch and really, which way does your toilet flush, again?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
It depends how many glasses of punch I've had.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You know what's up dude. Seriously, the longer you leave the lemon peels on the sugar, the tastier it will be. Glad you liked it!

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I really, really, really want to buy cointeau but I'm cheap and I always look at it when I have 2 bottles of wine and 1 bottle of whiskey in my hand. I need a cheaper, but quality alternative maybe.

Also, I was thinking about reducing POM to make my own grenadine. Any tips or experience with this? Making my own fresh grenadine seems too cost ineffective based on how quickly I'll go through it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I've had a lot of success with this method for making grenadine. I use the hot process, starting with 2 cups POM, reducing down to 1, and sweetening, and the cold process, starting with 1 cup of POM and sweetening. I then mix the two results together. I've tried hot process, cold process, and mixed side-by-side and mixing it really does produce the most complex and lively flavor. It's been argued in either this thread or the preceding cocktail thread that the hot process is dumb and you should just use pomegranate concentrate or pomegranate molasses instead. I don't feel that pomegranate molasses plays very well on cocktails, and while taking pomegranate molasses and sweetening it might be a good call, it's a lot easier to find POM.

Basically, give it a shot. Also: what do you use your grenadine for? I only really use it for Jack Roses, so it sticks around a while.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
I use the cold method, but just equal parts POM and sugar in a mason jar, shake until dissolved. I don't use grenadine often enough to justify any more effort than that. Although I don't use it all that often, I would really hate to reach for it and it not be there.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I'll give the cold method a try to cut costs. I planned on tinkering with jack roses, clover clubs, pink lady, but mostly jack roses and anything I randomly flip to in a book and have all the ingredients for.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2009/how-to-make-your-own-grenadine/

I've had the best luck with this method. I've never mixed hot and cold - I'll do a side by side in some tiki drinks and go from there.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I do feel like there is some benefit to reducing the POM down. It adds a depth of flavor that the cold process lacks. Although perhaps Morgenthaler's addition of molasses would provide that depth, while the fresh juice provides brightness. I'll see about that when my current batch runs out.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Yeah, I definitely want to compare. Reduced alone has a muddy quality which I don't like. But I'd certainly not use pomegranate molasses alone as grenadine either!

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I hope the double post doesn't trouble.

Being the philistine that I am, I only own two American whiskeys - Evan Williams, and Rebel Yell. I tend to prefer gin drinks, with rum as a base a close second. With almost 30 gins and rums overall, my "cabinet" is definitely skewed. What are some solid whiskeys which are good for mixing? I already know I need to get a rye, so I'd appreciate thoughts there. I suppose, for a gin and tiki drink, err, drinker, what are some solid whiskey cocktails that will get me into it? I'm not opposed to drinking whiskey in principle - I love Scotch - but I've just never got into American whiskeys straight or in cocktails.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

edit: nevermind that's not really helpful. I can drink mint juleps all day though.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

pork never goes bad posted:

I hope the double post doesn't trouble.

Being the philistine that I am, I only own two American whiskeys - Evan Williams, and Rebel Yell. I tend to prefer gin drinks, with rum as a base a close second. With almost 30 gins and rums overall, my "cabinet" is definitely skewed. What are some solid whiskeys which are good for mixing? I already know I need to get a rye, so I'd appreciate thoughts there.
Bulleit. Bulleit rye is loving amazing.