Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

discoukulele posted:

Basically, the players are all Norse gods trying to protect Odin's Residence from 6 other mythological creatures. You run around equipping weapons, searching for vikings to help you, and trying to knock the bad guys back. If too many of them get too close to Odin's Residence, you lose.

The mechanics behind it are really fun, but it's pretty nail-bitingly hard.

Does it fall closer to eurogames ala Pandemic, or american ones like Middle Earth Quest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Got home today and found the Kickstartered copy of The Resistance waiting for me. :toot:

Now I gotta get the band back together.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Countblanc posted:

Does it fall closer to eurogames ala Pandemic, or american ones like Middle Earth Quest?

I haven't played Pandemic yet, but it's pretty Euro.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Countblanc posted:

Much closer to Pandemic, but I'll reiterate what others have said: it's an awesome game but its ball crushingly hard to win.

There's optional cards to make it harder and I can't imagine using them because I've never won at the default difficulty.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

discoukulele posted:

Basically, the players are all Norse gods trying to protect Odin's Residence from 6 other mythological creatures. You run around equipping weapons, searching for vikings to help you, and trying to knock the bad guys back. If too many of them get too close to Odin's Residence, you lose.

The mechanics behind it are really fun, but it's pretty nail-bitingly hard.

Sounds a lot like Ghost Stories?

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
Anyone else find Level 7 to have terribly written rules?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Dominion posted:

Much closer to Pandemic, but I'll reiterate what others have said: it's an awesome game but its ball crushingly hard to win.

There's optional cards to make it harder and I can't imagine using them because I've never won at the default difficulty.

Once you have the basic strategy down (which I can throw up in spoilers if you really want), the basic game is pretty easy to win most of the time. Right now my group has succeeded with some all of the individual enemy double move cards in, and we've won with some Ragnarok cards, but we haven't added the Ragnarok cards and the double move cards yet.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

Subparr posted:

After years of dealing with Fantasy Flight, not that bad, no. The organization is a bit haphazard and things aren't where I want them to be, but I understood everything just fine.... I think. What are you referring to, specifically?

Teh Madd Hatter
May 26, 2008

Subparr posted:

When I played it at PAX I certainly thought so, we had a lot of trouble finding specific things and there were some things that seemed to be missing entirely.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

McNerd posted:

Sounds a lot like Ghost Stories?

Yeah, it's pretty similar to Ghost Stories, with some different mechanics. If you like Ghost Stories, and I think you'd like Yggdrasil, but at the same time, it's a pretty different experience.

Subparr posted:

Dear god, yes. I bought it last week because I'd been following the development. It has so much potential, but it just really falls flat. My biggest problems are that it doesn't clearly explain how to transition from scenario to scenario if you're playing campaign style. Players who don't survive the level are just eliminated, so that doesn't really give you any incentive to not play it fully co-op.

My friend even went as far as to say that, to him, it didn't feel like it had been play tested. I'm actually already trying to trade it on BGG for Space Alert.

Teh Madd Hatter posted:

When I played it at PAX I certainly thought so, we had a lot of trouble finding specific things and there were some things that seemed to be missing entirely.

And there's no index :argh:

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 2, 2012

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Poopy Palpy posted:

It's only creature dice that end the game when they run out, BTW. Portals don't count, which is good because they always run out.

Well poo poo.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

NmareBfly posted:

Got home today and found the Kickstartered copy of The Resistance waiting for me. :toot:

Out of curiosity, did you get a shipping notice for this?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Has anyone ever played the browser based RPG, Kingdom of Loathing? They've kickstarted a deck-building game based on it that you can still get in on (cleared goal many times over but open til 16-Oct). I haven't played KoL in years, but the humor in it was always pretty great. I'm looking forward to playing this tabletop adaptation.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Beelzebozo posted:

Has anyone ever played the browser based RPG, Kingdom of Loathing? They've kickstarted a deck-building game based on it that you can still get in on (cleared goal many times over but open til 16-Oct). I haven't played KoL in years, but the humor in it was always pretty great. I'm looking forward to playing this tabletop adaptation.

There's been ads for the Kickstarter page popping up all over BGG. I'm definitely picking it up when it comes out. I may even go ahead and chip in. :)

I'm just a little concerned. I guess since it looks like it's a fairly lightweight card game, I'm really hoping it won't be another Munchkin. But I'm almost positive it won't be.

E: I'm officially a backer :)

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 3, 2012

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Beelzebozo posted:

Anyone else getting tired of seeing deck-building games? I just blindly hate any new one that comes out because I'm pretty sure it sucks. So far, this logic hasn't failed me.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Kiranamos posted:

Anyone else getting tired of seeing deck-building games? I just blindly hate any new one that comes out because I'm pretty sure it sucks. So far, this logic hasn't failed me.

Yeah, pretty much since Dominion.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Kiranamos posted:

Not really. There are plenty of non-deckbuilding games coming out as well. I'm actually quite happy tabletop gaming is growing in popularity overall.

King Chicken
Apr 23, 2009

Kiranamos posted:

With Mage Knight, A Few Acres of Snow, and to a less extent, Core Worlds, I think that deck-building is getting past it's awkward tech-demo stage. In these newer games, the mechanic is used to drive a larger game, where before it was the entirety of the experience. This is kind of normal, it's happened before with auction, area-majority, and worker placement games. Be glad that the fad has worn off, now we can start seeing the mechanic being used creatively.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Kiranamos posted:

Anyone else getting tired of seeing deck-building games?

Not as much as Zombie-themed games.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

King Chicken posted:

With Mage Knight, A Few Acres of Snow, and to a less extent, Core Worlds, I think that deck-building is getting past it's awkward tech-demo stage. In these newer games, the mechanic is used to drive a larger game, where before it was the entirety of the experience. This is kind of normal, it's happened before with auction, area-majority, and worker placement games. Be glad that the fad has worn off, now we can start seeing the mechanic being used creatively.

I was going to make the same post except with Mage Wars instead of Core Worlds. Deck building is now just another mechanic that designers use, rather than the only one. I'm looking forward to an epic Twilight Imperium/ advanced Civ. scale game that uses it. Having cards to trade into peoples decks could be the foundation of a fantastic diplomacy system.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

King Chicken posted:

The other thing I notice is that a lot of the imitators came out so soon after base Dominion was released, they can't possibly have been playtested the way Dominion was. They can't even have been produced by people who were incredibly good at playing deckbuilding games. They can take a few hints from Dominion's design ("Discard down to three?" Why not just "discard two?" Ohhhhh.) but there's more to it than that.

You read Donald X. Vaccarino's stories about how for a long time he used to have cards like "Trash the top card of everyone else's deck" and you realize how much worse Dominion could have been. Then he says originally there were going to be 2 types of resources in the main game, like Potion, but that that didn't work out. And sure enough, here comes Ascension with two types of resources, and it's sort of awkward. (Interesting but they get in each other's way, and it's hard to make intelligent decisions about which one you're going to want, and there aren't really good tools for managing these problems.)

Anyway, I wouldn't mind seeing another pure deckbuilding game. Dominion is about as bare-bones as a deckbuilding game can be: it has basically nothing except a deck of cards which do things to your deck of cards, a couple rules for how to get more cards and how to play cards, and a victory point count. I like to think there's more room to explore here if it's done properly. (The makers of a grindy web browser game are probably not the people to go to though.)

Edit: Okay, from 2008 (Dominion) to 2010 (Ascension) is longer than I remembered, so take for whatever it's worth. Thunderstone was 2009 but I haven't played it so I don't know how it is.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 3, 2012

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Maybe just Kickstarter deck-building games, then, for the most part. Google those terms together and you get a thousand of them, all very recent. Miskatonic School for Girls, Pixel Lincoln, Kanzume Goddess, Penny Arcade, Kingdom of Loathing, Eaten by Zombies, Heroes of Metro City, Shadow Days, Terra Evolution, I mean drat.

Kiranamos fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 3, 2012

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber
It isn't necessarily a deck building game, more of a tableau game that involves cards, but I absolutely love Race for the Galaxy. Trying to build an engine with the cards you pick up is always fun.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I had an idea for an RPG where your character was represented by a deck of cards. You'd build your dude by selecting various powers for him, then they'd all go in the deck. When you got hit, you'd discard some cards. When you hit zero, you were knocked out.

Anything like that on the market? It's basically the mechanic from the Fantasy Flight Lord of the Rings game, but there'd be more customisation of your character/deck.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Gort posted:

I had an idea for an RPG where your character was represented by a deck of cards. You'd build your dude by selecting various powers for him, then they'd all go in the deck. When you got hit, you'd discard some cards. When you hit zero, you were knocked out.

Anything like that on the market? It's basically the mechanic from the Fantasy Flight Lord of the Rings game, but there'd be more customisation of your character/deck.

There's this. I think it's a fun idea (no idea if the one linked is any good). You could make a game such that when players complete a quest, they get a new card. When you release an expansion, the quest reward is a set of cards the players can choose from to add to their decks.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Gort posted:

Anything like that on the market?

The Kingdom of Loathing game I just mentioned on this page is literally exactly that.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Gort posted:

Android: Netrunner :v:

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

McNerd posted:

Anyway, I wouldn't mind seeing another pure deckbuilding game. Dominion is about as bare-bones as a deckbuilding game can be: it has basically nothing except a deck of cards which do things to your deck of cards, a couple rules for how to get more cards and how to play cards, and a victory point count. I like to think there's more room to explore here if it's done properly. (The makers of a grindy web browser game are probably not the people to go to though.)

I'd like to see a deck-building game as quick and straightforward as Dominion, but with a bit more variety in how the games play out. While there are some cards that open up wildly different approaches, 90% of Dominion games come down to trying to get money faster than everyone else, with a bit of help from the action cards. I think that there's got to be a game design with no basic currency at all, for example, or a game where the basic economic engine is randomized somehow. A Dominion-like game played entirely with action cards just sounds more fun to me.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Kiranamos posted:

Maybe just Kickstarter deck-building games, then, for the most part. Google those terms together and you get a thousand of them, all very recent. Miskatonic School for Girls, Pixel Lincoln, Kanzume Goddess, Penny Arcade, Kingdom of Loathing, Eaten by Zombies, Heroes of Metro City, Shadow Days, Terra Evolution, I mean drat.

There was also Shadowrift, a co-op deckbuilder that failed on Kickstarter but then published anyway. I actually like it a lot, though it's more in the "using deckbuilding to drive a game" category than a pure deckbuilder.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

wafflesnsegways posted:

I'd like to see a deck-building game as quick and straightforward as Dominion, but with a bit more variety in how the games play out. While there are some cards that open up wildly different approaches, 90% of Dominion games come down to trying to get money faster than everyone else, with a bit of help from the action cards. I think that there's got to be a game design with no basic currency at all, for example, or a game where the basic economic engine is randomized somehow. A Dominion-like game played entirely with action cards just sounds more fun to me.

You need to play more expansions I suspect. "90%" seems WAY high, unless you just literally never want to have to buy Gold. Although I have to admit, finding a cool way to use Actions to get a bunch of Gold (and thus Provinces) is as satisfying to me as finding a cool way to use Actions to get Provinces directly.

The thing is though, having Big Money (the strategy of buying only money) and its various cousins available means that there's always some strategy that doesn't completely suck. Imagine getting stuck on a weak board with literally nothing to do but buy Duchies and Estates and the occasional Woodcutter or other crappy card; it'd be the worst game. I mean sometimes you get into that situation when Attacks completely wreck everyone, especially in a multiplayer game, but then you at least had the Attack battle which is interesting.

There are other ways of guaranteeing there's always some viable strategy, but I'd think they would make the game more monotonous. I mean some people like to play where you always have a trasher and a village and some kind of card draw out, but for me that's just a different kind of monotony. (Although with enough expansions, I think you can do this and still have some amount of variety, which says a lot for the game).

(Not to turn this into the Dominion thread, but obviously this translates pretty easily into general deckbuilder design stuff.)

McNerd fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 3, 2012

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

McNerd posted:

You need to play more expansions I suspect. "90%" seems WAY high, unless you just literally never want to have to buy Gold.

That's exactly what I want. Obviously it wouldn't work with Dominion, which is built around that money system. (And that's not a knock on Dominion - there are a lot of fun ways to ramp up your buying power without focusing on Big Money.) But I think there is space there for a new game design.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth

wafflesnsegways posted:

This is my beef with Dominion, really. Maybe it's just because I've only played the base game and the Prosperity expansion (then again, do I really want to have to buy expansions to make the game the way I like it?) but this has been my experience. Those who fool around with buying cool cards generally lose, because I've been skipping them in favor of Provinces.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Moogs posted:

This is my beef with Dominion, really. Maybe it's just because I've only played the base game and the Prosperity expansion (then again, do I really want to have to buy expansions to make the game the way I like it?) but this has been my experience. Those who fool around with buying cool cards generally lose, because I've been skipping them in favor of Provinces.

The base set is pretty stacked in favor of Big Money and Prosperity is literally the Big Money expansion, so it's not surprising that has been your experience.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Gort posted:

I actually tried a game in design at an Unpub event that was basically this. It's kind of a cool idea, but I haven't seen one I can put my recommendation behind yet.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Gort posted:

Gabe from Penny Arcade is developing a game like this based on their Lookouts setting.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Any word on when Mice and Mystics preorders will ship? It was supposed to be around now but I dont see any news on their website.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth

Ojetor posted:

The base set is pretty stacked in favor of Big Money and Prosperity is literally the Big Money expansion, so it's not surprising that has been your experience.

That's fair.

Another question -- how do you guys handle two player games of Seafarers of Catan? I've seen some stuff online, but I don't have the port hexes as outlined in the link below, because I have a newer version of the game. I'd like to be able to play the scenarios, too, which this doesn't account for. Maybe just the normal two player rules plus the scenario? (roll twice, no trading)

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/442180/2-player-variant

King Chicken
Apr 23, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

I was going to make the same post except with Mage Wars instead of Core Worlds. Deck building is now just another mechanic that designers use, rather than the only one. I'm looking forward to an epic Twilight Imperium/ advanced Civ. scale game that uses it. Having cards to trade into peoples decks could be the foundation of a fantastic diplomacy system.

I was thinking somewhat along similar lines, but with players contributing to a communal 'event deck' of sorts to represent political actions. Running a street crime cartel could add some cards, influencing the police department could take those cards away, etc. There's a lot of potential for deck-building now that it's breaking out into wider use.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
To the few people in this thread who still play Betrayal at House on the Hill:

https://www.nolentabner.com/projects/betrayal

I made an online character card system to replace the lovely pentagonal cards with the clips that slide around and fall off easily. Choose a character from the drop down and click on numbers to change your current value.

Works on most smart phones with a modern browser, and probably in most desktop browsers as well. It uses some experimental CSS/HTML5 magic so it might get a little silly in other browsers.

ENJOY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

GrandpaPants posted:

Out of curiosity, did you get a shipping notice for <the Resistance Kickstarter>?

No, not that I see (unless I deleted it by accident, which is possible.)

Looking at the kickstarer updates, I'm wondering if mine got sent during the first set of rush deliveries even though I hadn't asked for that.

• Locked thread