Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Mu Zeta posted:

I can't name a specific European country but I remember reading a bunch of complaints when a website (giantbomb.com) was offering memberships but only accepted credit card. A whole bunch of people from Europe bitched and said they needed to offer Paypal because credit cards aren't as common over there. Maybe they are from some smaller country like Slovenia, i don't know.

Sometimes I do feel like we're in the stone age in the US when I see old people paying with a check. It's incredibly rare though. I don't carry cash ever and use my card for everything. The only time a check is needed today is for paying rent.

Credit cards are very uncommon, debit cards however are not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Its mostly the same in Norway. Cards are accepted absolutely everywhere. When I order pizza I pay by card for instance.

I work at the alcohol monopoly, and my older coworkers told me that around Christmas, an old person or two might try to pay with a check. While we technically could accept it, it was literally faster to talk them into using their credit or debit card instead of them writing the check, having us call the bank for clearance etc.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
A lot of people who pay for internet stuff like that have debit cards, not credit cards, I could see why it'd cause some issues.

ANIME MONSTROSITY has a new favorite as of 15:26 on Oct 3, 2012

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Credit and debit cards are practically synonymous in the US, is that not the case in Europe?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Pilsner posted:

Maybe you're thinking of Asia (or more specifically China).

Japan. Cash is pretty much the normal everyday method of payment. Debit cards aren't even available from all banks and even if they are available you have to apply specifically. This is encouraged by the low rate of street crimes. I once saw an old lady get a seriously obscene stack of bills from an ATM. Back in England if you did that and got mugged I think even the police would tell you it was your own fault, but nope, no effort to even try to be discreet.

And oh dear god the bills. I'm not an environmentalist or anything but the only way they could waste more paper is if they found a way to make it into a viable food-source. You get paper bills for almost everything, in fact my mobile provider went paper-free for a while then went back because apparently people want stacks of bills in their house. You want to get online banking? Last I checked you have to go into the bank and fill out a piece of paper for that too.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Mu Zeta posted:

I can't name a specific European country but I remember reading a bunch of complaints when a website (giantbomb.com) was offering memberships but only accepted credit card. A whole bunch of people from Europe bitched and said they needed to offer Paypal because credit cards aren't as common over there. Maybe they are from some smaller country like Slovenia, i don't know.

Germany seems to have a problem accepting credit cards (VISA / Mastercard) in stores, resturants, hotels - mostly they rely on the EC (Electronic Cash) card.

According to my German part of the family, the problem is that the Germans are afraid that the banks - and then the government can see where they've been and what they used their money on.

Of course since they then use the EC card, the same info could be passed on to the government if wanted.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

EDIT: sorry, missed the new page.

Mu Zeta posted:

credit cards aren't as common over there.
This is true, from what I can see. Everything is done with debit cards. Among the people I know, the only ones with a credit card have it to order poo poo over the internet internationally. And even that isn't really a necessity anymore, with European webshops starting to adopt other methods of payment (ie. one click bank transfer thingies).

So, most stores will take credit card, but you'll be looked at as if you were some exotic specimen. And some stores won't take credit card. But they will very nearly all take some sort of plastic. It's certainly not necessary to carry around cash all the time.

Of course, RFID/NFC stuff only really works with a credit card, due to security issues, I suppose. Which is why adoption rate for that is a lot lower here.

Super Waffle posted:

Credit and debit cards are practically synonymous in the US, is that not the case in Europe?
No.

Flipperwaldt has a new favorite as of 16:01 on Oct 3, 2012

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Personally I still use cash for most things because I just find it easier to kept my spending in check. If I have 3 twenties in my wallet and I use one to buy a book, that means I have two twenties left for groceries. I like to see the money visually depleting. With overdraft and credit cards the money becomes less tangible and it becomes $20.50 spent on a book and $47 spent on groceries and before you know it you've spent $80 where you would have usually spent $60 with cash. It seriously adds up that quick. Maybe I'm just a weirdo.

Also, I pay my rent with cash and the landlady just gives me a receipt. I'm surprised more people don't do that because it seems quite common in Canada.

Zack_Gochuck has a new favorite as of 16:09 on Oct 3, 2012

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
To chip in on the whole bank stuff, credit cards aren't very popular in the Netherlands either. Partially because you can pay with your bank card pretty much anywhere, while paying with a credit card is pretty much unheard of (at least at a physical store). Similarly for online purchases and whatnot, transferring the money via online banking is reasonably fast and free of charges while paying with a credit card usually incurs a fee, if it is at all possible in the first place. To top it off, pretty much all banks and other CC providers charge like 20-30€ just to get a card.

So there you have it, people get a bit annoyed if they have to spend that kind of money just to be able to spend the occasional :10bux: at places that only take a CC, which more and more boils down to the US.

Content: 10Base2 networking. 10 megabits a second max over nice chunky coaxial cables. Connectors were a good bit more sturdy than those plastic RJ-45 ones though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That definitely clears some things up for me. At least in the US a credit card is practically the same thing as a bank card or debit card. They function pretty much the same and are interchangeable, though credit cards are by far the most common. So when we hear Europeans saying they don't have a credit card we think you're living in 1858.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Cash cards - Used to remove cash from an ATM
Debit Cards - Remove money straight from your account
Credit Cards - Buy things on credit to be paid back later
Pre-Pay Cards - Top up cards with cash, use like a debit card

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Mu Zeta posted:

At least in the US a credit card is practically the same thing as a bank card or debit card. They function pretty much the same and are interchangeable, though credit cards are by far the most common.
I wonder if this is a regional variation, because in the US dialects I'm used to, "credit card" can be used to mean "debit card or credit card" (in the context of paying by card vs. paying by cash), and debit cards can often be "used as credit cards" (you'd sign instead of entering a PIN), there's a big difference: I don't get a bill for my debit card.

Admittedly, I may not have been clear on the difference before I got my first credit card, but the distinction is crystal clear at least in a bunch of east-coast cities.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You're right in the different usage of the words. I just didn't explain it well.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Mu Zeta posted:

That definitely clears some things up for me. At least in the US a credit card is practically the same thing as a bank card or debit card. They function pretty much the same and are interchangeable, though credit cards are by far the most common. So when we hear Europeans saying they don't have a credit card we think you're living in 1858.

I think you need to define 'Europe'

In the UK, credit cards are very common and I'd guess that more people use them than debit cards.

Almost every shop that sells something that costs more than £5 will accept CC - with the notable exception of Aldi/Lidl whicih only accept debit.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
The processing that's done when you make a purchase here is identical between credit cards and debit cards. The difference is that one is borrowed money and the other is money in your account. Debit cards are offered through your bank and are normally Visa or Mastercard and you can use them all over the world, I would have assumed this is universal.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I was turned away from a Norwegian McDonalds because they wouldn't take my (US) Visa. They said they only took "Norwegian credit cards". I guess this is because it wasn't tied to a Norwegian bank?

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010
Yeah I think the only major difference between US and Euro countries is that in the US there is no difference between credit cards and debit. Any place that accepts debit cards will accept credit cards by default, and I'm relatively sure that any place that requires a credit card will accept a debit card (assuming you have enough cash to cover the expense). Like, when you check into a hotel, you need a credit card to cover incidentals, and sometimes the hotel puts a hold on your account, but I've never been to one where a debit card wasn't accepted, even though they specifically ask for a credit card.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Tears In A Vial posted:

Cash cards - Used to remove cash from an ATM
Debit Cards - Remove money straight from your account
Credit Cards - Buy things on credit to be paid back later

I've never heard of a cash card, seems kinda pointless :confused:. Debit cards serve that function. Credit cards will also work at an ATM but you'll get charged a higher interest rate. Some banks have begun offering combined debit/credit cards. Functions as a debit card until you run out of money in that account, and instead of overdrafting, it'll charge the remainder to your credit account.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Super Waffle posted:

I've never heard of a cash card, seems kinda pointless :confused:. Debit cards serve that function. Credit cards will also work at an ATM but you'll get charged a higher interest rate. Some banks have begun offering combined debit/credit cards. Functions as a debit card until you run out of money in that account, and instead of overdrafting, it'll charge the remainder to your credit account.

Cash cards are usually given to young people (kids) opening their first account. At least they were when me and my friends started getting old enough to open accounts. I think my younger sister had one for a while as well.

Tears In A Vial has a new favorite as of 17:25 on Oct 3, 2012

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Super Waffle posted:

Its an older thing too. Back in the day, you had a cash card for the ATMs, but couldn't use it to buy stuff directly.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Do you guys think we can get another 10 pages out of bank chat? That would be so awesome. :suspense:

I present the Sinclair C5:

Early electric vehicle, I saw one once - I think it had broken down.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Oct 3, 2012

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

wipeout posted:

Do you guys think we can get another 10 pages out of bank chat? That would be so awesome.

I haven't seen a residential or commercial fusebox in a long time. I'm wondering how common they still are. Everything I've worked with since the 1990s has been circuit breakers.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Ahh the old knob and tube wiring. I live in an older part of Cambridge Ontario and they are quit common. Most of the houses with them are being updated now as gramma and granpa move out and new families move in.

If you want to run central air or be able to have the TV on while you run the hairdryer you'll need to upgrade your electrical system. The house I live in now was built in 1920 and just had the electrical updated before I moved in a few years ago.

These also used aluminium wiring I believe.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Pilsner posted:

A lot of people pay with plastic in Europe? Even obscure little shops in Southern Europe will accept a VISA. Where did you read that people pay with cash? Maybe you're thinking of Asia (or more specifically China).

I didn't read it; I have experienced it firsthand. I live in Austria and I spent 6 months in France a while ago and I've visited 24 countries in Europe.

Dick Trauma posted:

I haven't seen a residential or commercial fusebox in a long time. I'm wondering how common they still are. Everything I've worked with since the 1990s has been circuit breakers.

They're still common anywhere older houses exist because upgrading can be very costly.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Dick Trauma posted:

I just got a house that I almost didn't get because the drat thing had a 60 Amp fuse box that had been junctioned off of twice. The people living there had five TVs, three computers, two fridges, a mini fridge, washer and dryer, an electric range, and all their regular household poo poo running off of it, including 16 60 Watt bulbs in recessed lighting in the basement.

Thankfully they just agreed to get it updated before we moved in.

DNova posted:

They're still common anywhere older houses exist because upgrading can be very costly.

It cost ~$3,500 US to get ours upgraded.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Come to my house, half of it is still knob & tube wiring hooked to an old fuse box. Any wiring that is new or renovated is 12ga romex on a proper breaker box, but replacing everything else would involve a lot of difficult work.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Jibo posted:

I just got a house that I almost didn't get because the drat thing had a 60 Amp fuse box that had been junctioned off of twice. The people living there had five TVs, three computers, two fridges, a mini fridge, washer and dryer, an electric range, and all their regular household poo poo running off of it, including 16 60 Watt bulbs in recessed lighting in the basement.

Thankfully they just agreed to get it updated before we moved in.

It cost ~$3,500 US to get ours upgraded.

Yeah, coincidentally I paid about the same last year for a pretty thorough overhaul.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

wipeout posted:

I loved it when this thing was announced:

Because they used almost exactly the same phrases and predictions that they used when the C5 came out.

I am pretty sure that some of the statements I read were word-for-word identical to the ones I read for the C5.

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:

wipeout posted:

Do you guys think we can get another 10 pages out of bank chat? That would be so awesome. :suspense:

I saw a C5 for sale in Woolworths when I was a kid for £400. Must have been when it was launched in 85. Needless to say I wanted one but then again I was only 13.
When you saw them on the road up against vans and lorries you realised what an immensely stupid idea they were.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I found this in the computer room flotsam at work.

From that awkward time in the 1990s when CDRs were unknown and there was a market for >1,44M magnetic media. Zip drives were the most common ones.

This is one of the forgotten brands, I had never seen one before I found this in a pile of old junk.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Landerig posted:

Oh yeah, a 21" Trinitron. Desk buster is very appropriate.

I once lugged home a free 32" Sony Trinitron, by myself. (Free to anyone who could lift it) Beautiful picture but it sat for 3 weeks on my living room floor before I decided to just sell it. I mean I could have reinforced the TV stand with 4x4's, or maybe just built a new one out of reinforced concrete, but I decided to let it go to a new home, where it probably still sits like the living room monolith.

I'd have kept it just for the fun of gutting it out, putting an LCD of comparable size in the front, and converting the rest into a SFF PC to use. I'm sure those beasts had plenty of room to spare to fit a micro ATX board, power supply, and a few other goodies, then just cut out a couple decent size holes for fans and you're set.

kimbo305 posted:

There was a Yak-bak-like toy that was shaped like a hockey and had a telescoping megaphone on one end that you could pull out. Anyone remember what it was called?

Didn't see anyone mention it (sorry if I missed it) but I remember this exactly - the Mega Mouth Warp'r :) I still have one, I think I got it in junior high just to annoy people between classes. It had a little switch to change between regular and "robot" mode, and a dial to change the frequency of your voice between super low pitch and really high.

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 21:26 on Oct 3, 2012

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Bonzo posted:

Ahh the old knob and tube wiring. I live in an older part of Cambridge Ontario and they are quit common. Most of the houses with them are being updated now as gramma and granpa move out and new families move in.

If you want to run central air or be able to have the TV on while you run the hairdryer you'll need to upgrade your electrical system. The house I live in now was built in 1920 and just had the electrical updated before I moved in a few years ago.

These also used aluminium wiring I believe.

If aluminum wiring was used, that means the electrical system was worked on in the 1960's-70's. Hopefully all the aluminum wiring was replaced with copper or you could have a fire hazard on your hands.

ZALGO!
Dec 4, 2006

These are the end times. We've got to be prepared! ZALGO!
I remember the rewind button breaking on my cassette players a lot so to rewind I had to flip the cassette to the other side and fast forward, who else remembers doing this?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
My walkman had auto reverse. And was it me but did the tape not sound right when it was in that mode?

Oh wow...I just remembered that I dropped that Walkman one day and something happened where if you used the auto reverse feature it would play the tape backwards. This was in the era when everyone thought there were satanic messages in music so we had lots of fun with that.

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:

ZALGO! posted:

I remember the rewind button breaking on my cassette players a lot so to rewind I had to flip the cassette to the other side and fast forward, who else remembers doing this?

My first walkman only had ffwrd :v:

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Dick Trauma posted:

My house is fairly old (for the US anyway) - it was built in 1880. It was retrofitted with knob and tube wiring in the 1910s or 1920s. All the previous gas lighting pipes are still in the walls and ceilings. The neutral leg of the wiring is still connected to some of them in places. The light switches are all 4-way pushbutton switches. They let you do strange things like turn on the hall lights from 3 different floors.

My house also has steam radiators. It was converted from coal to heating oil at some point. The insulation in the walls is horsehair. The foundation is field rock, about 20 inches thick, so my window sills in the basement and the first floor are really deep. The glass panes in the windows are really wavy - they've never been replaced. 2x4s in the walls are actually 2" by 4". The plaster on the walls is wood-lath backed, and it weighs a TON.

The "garage" has sideways sliding doors on it. It has a tack room in the back that was converted to a chicken coup. I found a hand-painted realtor's sign in there used as a floor board from the early 1920s.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I've got those lath and plaster walls in my house, and it's a huge pain in the rear end to hang anything, or do any wiring.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

0toShifty posted:

The light switches are all 4-way pushbutton switches. They let you do strange things like turn on the hall lights from 3 different floors.

I haven't seen one of those since the 1970s. One of my only memories of my grandfather is when he carried me around his apartment letting me push all of those. They were two way so you push one and the other pops out.

I used the phrase "poison pen letter" yesterday and completely baffled a guy who is in his mid thirties. :smith:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

axolotl farmer posted:

I found this in the computer room flotsam at work.

From that awkward time in the 1990s when CDRs were unknown and there was a market for >1,44M magnetic media. Zip drives were the most common ones.

This is one of the forgotten brands, I had never seen one before I found this in a pile of old junk.

Are you throwing that away?????????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Fozaldo posted:

My first walkman only had ffwrd :v:

I had some of those cheap ones over the years. Only one spindle was driven, the other just a smooth peg.