Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Having a single save slot in this game is dumb. Supposedly, if I were to start/join another campaign while doing Leon's, I'd lose all my progress for the current Chapter I'm on. I don't think my mind can tolerate the first 20 minutes of Slow Walk™ a second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

I think in the end, if you are on the fence, just wait till it's cheap since it seems all over the place when it comes to people's enjoyment with the game. No reason to spend $60 bucks if you aren't sure.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Leyburn posted:

I'm 100% confident that if Josh Stone was Chris's coop partner this game would have received 10/10s across the board.

I miss hearing I'll get a naice bonass in Mercenaries :sigh:

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Hell, I miss hearing anything from Mercenaries. The intros are strictly text now, which is my only problem with it :argh:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

In this very thread you've had people, who love this game, pointing out that the default controls are completely poo poo and that you have to tweak to even get them to something that's manageable.

No, they are not. I mean ignoring that the gunplay feels incredibly weak there are several instances in the game where enemies will completely ignore shots that hit them, where your contex-sensitive melee attacks will miss for no reason on a prone enemy that you are standing right next to/on top of and there's numerous basic enemes with completely uninterruptable attacks which by all rights should be because the camera is so offensively close to the action and the movement is so poor in relation to that camera that the game makes it pointlessly frustrating to dodge those attacks.

It blows my mind that you think this an improved version of any of the games that it owes it's lineage to.

To be honest I haven't encountered much of what you're saying, or at least not in a way that I understand. The few I have encountered are nonissues.

The default controls are not great. You have to tweak them to make them comfortable The option is available to tweak them. I had to do this in countless other games as well. My preference for controls are my own. It's only a problem when they don't offer the option to tweak them. I am kind of bewildered that this is somehow a talking point against the game because I can't think of a game whose default controls I do find comfortable.

There are uninterruptable attacks but I have not encountered one that can't be dodging by "stop holding the aiming button and just run." Usually this leads to the enemy being vulnerable for a few seconds afterwards in exchange. You have to pay attention to what the enemy is doing and exploit their pattern. It's an older-school "dodge and shoot the glowing weak point" mechanic but that was true for RE4 and RE5 as well, so I'm not really shocked it shows up here either. Many enemies can also be countered as well. I have never had a melee attack miss when I properly hit the prompt so I'm not sure what you mean. I don't even know how that's possible.

This is a Resident Evil game. They added a bunch of mechanics (like the cover system) which slightly obfuscate that, but the basic RE4-introduced mechanics are still in place. This is made blazingly clear if you play Mercenaries. This includes all the quirks of Resident Evil post-4 including the immensely heavy emphasis on melee, stuns and invincibility frames. Playing it like a shooter is a mistake.

That isn't to say that I don't have my problems with the game, because I do, but the basic mechanics are not one of them. I preferred RE5's melee system on the whole but RE6's is an understandable evolution of the system they introduced in Revelations. I wish the game had fewer setpieces and more basic combat, but on the other hand it does have Mercenaries. It's certainly a mixed bag of a game but it's by no means a bad game. "Flawed" is the word I'd chose more readily.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 3, 2012

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
This was already my favorite RE game just from playing through Leon's first couple chapters, but then I decided to check out Jake's and at the fight with the big monsters and the AA guns it matched me up with a friend who was also playing through as Piers. poo poo was awesome and then we split up again.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
OH come on jake you can't even buy this game for 50 bucks. Get with the program man! :downs:

Also That drat Ustanak was almost as tenacious as Nemesis... ALMOST... then again Nemesis didn't have a ball and chain for an arm so there you go YAY FOR SCIENCE :science:

Who should I play next, Chris or Leon?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Christ, Leon's game becomes an exercise in frustration towards the end.

Still overall a good experience, it's really weird that once you get to China the game becomes a boss rush for most of the remainder of its running time. Even within the confines of a single campaign it's still a bit of a clusterfuck.

I reckon I'll lay off trying Chris's campaign till tonight or tomorrow, stop myself getting burned out on it.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
Pretty disappointing that the copy of RE 1 on the PSN store is the one with the terrible remixed music.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Leyburn posted:

Christ, Leon's game becomes an exercise in frustration towards the end.

Still overall a good experience, it's really weird that once you get to China the game becomes a boss rush for most of the remainder of its running time. Even within the confines of a single campaign it's still a bit of a clusterfuck.

I reckon I'll lay off trying Chris's campaign till tonight or tomorrow, stop myself getting burned out on it.

The most frustrating thing about Leon's is just the last couple of boss fights. This, however, is remedied by the fact that one of those bosses is a giant zombie T-rex and the other you kill by jamming a lightning rod into it's face.

The former was a little too bullet spongey but understandably so. Also i'm liking all the new characters way more than I thought I would, really liked Helena after chapter 2 and Piers is cool because he's just so angry at everything.

edit - Also! Survivability tip - remember, you can dodge! You can either do this by clicking in the left stick while aiming or pressing the X (ps3) or A (360) buttons. If you hit them in a direction you'll roll/dive that way, and this is super useful. If you're trying to get behind some cover but don't think you'll make it, or are a little too far away, just fall on the floor. I'm still getting to grips with it a little myself but once you get the hang of it it's great, and avoids so much.

edit edit - I just found out dodging backwards with the knife does two slashes (as Chris, anyway) while stepping back. Dodging left/right doesn't make you roll but does make you circle your enemies, which is neat.

Thievery fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 3, 2012

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/371180/resident-evil-6-trades-niche-horror-for-mass-market-appeal-says-producer/

I think most people already assumed this but at least Capcom admits it.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Where is the interface to spend skill points located? I'm at the gas station scene with Leon, but I'm not sure if I'm missing it or if skills are something that will be unlocked farther down the line.

Systems_Id
Feb 16, 2005

LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK!

Fereydun posted:

Chris's campaign is ridiculously chaotic. You're always brushing by on the skin of your teeth through every scenario, usually with no health or ammo. The way the enemies in his campaign work too means that he gets to fight (I think? Haven't done Leon's campaign yet) the hardest enemies the most often too.

It's funny, because going through Jake's campaign as Sherry was pretty much a walk in the park since you could play like RE5 and always go for contextual melee stuff by headshotting/doing whatever. The sheer mass of enemies wasn't really there, nor was the danger of the monsters and stuff.

Overall I can definitely see folk's complaints with the game- it feels "off", like they missed a key factor in the feedback of attacking enemies. It feels like there's less precision and control in exchange for a more open system, but the system's feedback doesn't really match up to the quality of previous titles. I think they should've been stunned easier/have a more exaggerated animation, with larger hitsparks and blood splatters. Like RE5. However, if you can get past that the system is pretty fantastic- enemy variety is strong and campaigns seem to take on drastically different tones in terms of gameplay due to the difference in environments, enemy numbers, and enemy types.

It's hard to get a handle on the game quickly, which is actually a massive design problem. The lack of strong feedback for a lot of stuff means that you kind of feel like you're being dragged along wildly rather than controlling the pace of the fight.

edit: A problem that I think folks will have with the game is that enemies simply move "too fast", or that your bullet hitboxes are too small. Hitting enemies in specific parts becomes actually troublesome, and a major part of that is related to how they move around and how quickly they begin engaging you, unlike the past two games.
This sums up my problems with the game perfectly.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

counterspin posted:

Where is the interface to spend skill points located? I'm at the gas station scene with Leon, but I'm not sure if I'm missing it or if skills are something that will be unlocked farther down the line.

Gotta back out to the main menu. Dunno why they didn't have a between chapter skill store like 5 but maybe they'll fix that later.

↓↓↓ Turns out I'm just dumb as hell. I wasn't seeing it because I kept backing out to buy skills. :downs:

Anyone else miss that crazy rear end in a top hat merchant from 4?

losonti tokash fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 3, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

With regards to enemy speed:

Quick Shot is in the game for a reason. It may as well be called "the stun button." Use it and you get the weaker ("staggered" instead of "stunned") melee instantly on huge amounts of enemies. If you're having trouble getting headshots, go for quick shots instead. They're ridiculously good against a lot of enemies.

losonti tokash posted:

Gotta back out to the main menu. Dunno why they didn't have a between chapter skill store like 5 but maybe they'll fix that later.

They do, or at least they do on the PS3 version. I've been prompted to buy/equip skills between every chapter. There's a 60 second time limit on it. Chapters are long as hell compared to RE5 which may be why it doesn't stand out as much.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
What skills are people using? For Jake I was using gun damage, melee damage, and the one that reduces recoil. The reduced recoil one is probably the most useful in my opinion. Leon just takes way too much damage meleeing even the most basic zombies, though. I was thinking of trading out the melee damage for defense or maybe item drop rate in his campaign.

What's working for everyone else?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So I've heard that playing the Chris campaign as Piers is much better. Is this true?

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Good Citizen posted:

What skills are people using? For Jake I was using gun damage, melee damage, and the one that reduces recoil. The reduced recoil one is probably the most useful in my opinion. Leon just takes way too much damage meleeing even the most basic zombies, though. I was thinking of trading out the melee damage for defense or maybe item drop rate in his campaign.

What's working for everyone else?

I'm using Melee lv2, Piercing lv1 and item drop %up. Since Melee is so strong in this game anything that makes it stronger is a good idea, the item drop % is helpful for getting more ammo since I seem to run out all the time (though I don't notice much of a difference) and piercing I really don't see to be honest. Enemies don't line up very well in this game so it's not necessary, and I don't think it works on enemies with shields like the J'avo arm mutation guys. I'm saving up for Melee lv3 though so can't afford to get anything else.

Disorientated
Sep 1, 2006
Is anyone else having trouble linking their account (xbox in my case) with https://www.residentevil.net? I get an error every time I try.

e: Specifically "Application error: Error(U0003) A system error occurred"

Disorientated fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 3, 2012

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Thievery posted:

I'm using Melee lv2, Piercing lv1 and item drop %up. Since Melee is so strong in this game anything that makes it stronger is a good idea, the item drop % is helpful for getting more ammo since I seem to run out all the time (though I don't notice much of a difference) and piercing I really don't see to be honest. Enemies don't line up very well in this game so it's not necessary, and I don't think it works on enemies with shields like the J'avo arm mutation guys. I'm saving up for Melee lv3 though so can't afford to get anything else.

Try recoil reduction instead of piercing. It's very very cheap and even level one makes a huge difference. The default amount of time it takes for your gun sights to reset to neutral in this game is ludicrous and even slight recoil reduction makes guns way more useful.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

When people say this game doesn't live up to other modern games, which exactly are they referring to? Dead Space comes close for me but I can't think of another 3rd person shooter series that even comes close to RE4+'s variety, feedback and choices. Most reviews and negative comments mention that RE6 progresses differently from the modern action game like it's a bad thing, but when I think modern action game I think Gears of War, Halo or COD which are fun but not a direction I'd like gaming to go.

It's sadly refreshing to play a game where you have to make choices and manage an inventory so actions actually matter from checkpoint to checkpoint and you can customize your experience beyond which 2 weapons you're currently holding. That's become rare as gently caress for action games nowadays so right now I'm cherishing RE6 (and looking forward to Dead Space 3).

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Okay I see why some people said playing as Piers is better. I suppose it is kinda cool to see how Chris reacts to stuff through someone else's eyes. Piers isn't necessarily better, it's just a change from a narrative standpoint.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Man this game is... interesting.

Jake/Sherry chapter one spoilers: what the gently caress was up with those two big boss dudes, the second of which you had to jump on his back? The game could REALLY have done with a) giving more loving ammo and b) actually giving more indication of what we were supposed to be doing.

I think I've made BORK! BORK! angry by being bad at this game. :v: Outside of that spoilered dumbness though I am enjoying the game.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Fraction posted:

The game could REALLY have done with a) giving more loving ammo and b) actually giving more indication of what we were supposed to be doing.

I wish there was more indication you were doing damage to enemies. I feel like I'm plinking meaninglessly away at bosses until they suddenly keel over without warning.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Fraction posted:

Jake/Sherry chapter one spoilers: what the gently caress was up with those two big boss dudes, the second of which you had to jump on his back? The game could REALLY have done with a) giving more loving ammo and b) actually giving more indication of what we were supposed to be doing.

I think I've made BORK! BORK! angry by being bad at this game. :v: Outside of that spoilered dumbness though I am enjoying the game.

I assumed you needed to run him through those electrical lines or find some construction equipment or something to pull it out at first. I ran around like an idiot for probably 10 minutes before I noticed that when Chris knocked him down he put his hand on a building in a way that looked like you could get on it. Felt pretty stupid when I saw that.

What was worse was the final fight in that chapter. I ran out of ammo really fast so I started trying to melee the boss guy in the helicopter. When it got to the part where you need to shoot the gas tank it kept dropping me back into melee mode when the cutscene started. Think I died like 4 times on that stupid cutscene/QTE thing. Frustrating

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fraction posted:

You can jump on both of their backs. When they stumble and fall they are vulnerable to a QTE which does massive damage. They're basically El Gigantes only bigger.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Scissorfighter posted:

When people say this game doesn't live up to other modern games, which exactly are they referring to? Dead Space comes close for me but I can't think of another 3rd person shooter series that even comes close to RE4+'s variety, feedback and choices. Most reviews and negative comments mention that RE6 progresses differently from the modern action game like it's a bad thing, but when I think modern action game I think Gears of War, Halo or COD which are fun but not a direction I'd like gaming to go.

Resident Evil 6 plays like COD for most of the campaigns - what are you talking about?

I should actually draw a little game design chart to show what I mean, but the core design is almost exactly the same, which is my hugest problem with the game (and no, being 1st or 3rd person doesn't really make much of a difference).

Basically, in the COD/Battlefield style game design, you're essentially making a light gun shooter like Time Crisis, with a slight bit more control to give the player the illusion of freedom. The whole game is basically an interactive movie where you can shoot the characters on screen, but aren't really doing anything else. However, as long as the illusion isn't "broken" - most players won't tell the difference.

The progression from Doom > COD is pretty much the same as RE1 > RE6, for comparison. In the early first person shooters, you could freely roam around, collecting "keys" and discovering how to progress, just like RE1-3. Half Life mixed the roaming with linear path (with a little bit of right and left movement) like RE4/5. RE6 is pretty much like CoD for most of the game, where you're moving straight down a singular path, sometimes shooting (or stabbing) stuff along that set path, and it's impossible to "break" the progression in any way (for instance, avoiding traps/zombies that you know will appear, running past NPCs that you're following, etc.). And, it CONSTANTLY takes control away from the player - you open a door, small cutscene, you turn a corner, cutscene, you go into a new room - CINEMATIC EVENT. I never experienced a 10 minute sequence of gameplay where control was not wrestled from me multiple times, and that's directly from CoD's game design style.

That's part of my problem with the game and leads up to the whole issue I have - there are just too many moments when I'm annoyed by overly restrictive game design to the point where the whole experience is annoying. I don't care in the slightest about plot or what happens when I don't have control - I want to PLAY the game, and the game refuses to let me seemingly MOST of the time that it's on.

Darko fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 3, 2012

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ImpAtom posted:

You can jump on both of their backs. When they stumble and fall they are vulnerable to a QTE which does massive damage. They're basically El Gigantes only bigger.

I wonder how that looks when Sherry does it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I wonder how that looks when Sherry does it.

Hilarious. I was playing as Sherry and she just yanks the fucker out and stabs it back in. G-Virus superpowers come in handy, I guess.

Darko posted:

I should actually draw a little game design chart to show what I mean, but the core design is almost exactly the same, which is my hugest problem with the game (and no, being 1st or 3rd person doesn't really make much of a difference).

RE6 is structured more like CoD, but it doesn't play like CoD. The combat mechanics and basic gameplay are very different, and the "light gun" comparison doesn't really hold much weight because there are a number of different things you can do in the course of regular combat. Both have a huge emphasis on setpieces (and linear forward motion) but the way they handle combat is extremely different.

There is an overemphasis on cutscenes and setpieces, but it's fundamentally dishonest to pretend like the non-cinematic gameplay is just shoot-the-guy without choice or meaning. Popping on Mercenary Mode alone is enough to disprove that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 3, 2012

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

ImpAtom posted:

You are loving kidding me

:mad:

We only realised we had to do that at all for the second one, I wasted all my ammo basically trying to shoot the fucker in the back

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Stupid question, but does anyone know how long the Anthology (ps3) version will be available? I didn't preorder it :negative:

Is it one of those things where if I don't order it right now, I might as well forget about it?

Soccus Nephropidae
Nov 1, 2010

When bread drinks milk,
it seems to get drunk.
I spent all day reading the backlash towards this game, then I played the demo and had a blast. The camera is too close but other than that I think it's just an evolution of the ridiculousness that 4 and 5 were full of. It's pretty fun.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

RE6 is structured more like CoD, but it doesn't play like CoD. The combat mechanics and basic gameplay are very different, and the "light gun" comparison doesn't really hold much weight because there are a number of different things you can do in the course of regular combat. Both have a huge emphasis on setpieces (and linear forward motion) but the way they handle combat is extremely different.

There is an overemphasis on cutscenes and setpieces, but it's fundamentally dishonest to pretend like the non-cinematic gameplay is just shoot-the-guy without choice or meaning. Popping on Mercenary Mode alone is enough to disprove that.

What you can do in-game is technically more varied than CoD, but depending on your actual focus in gameplay - that could be practically irrelevant. It's not Metal Gear where you can play in exactly whatever game style you please (ie. choosing between stealth, going action hero, a mix of both, or figuring out some ridiculous, non thought of, way past), and thus why the much more linear, path driven MGS4 (as compared to 3) STILL has a lot of variety as compared to any other 3rd person series. It's the same game design as CoD, where it's either "get to the checkpoint" or "shoot everyone in this setpiece" with a little more variation. Yes, admittedly, you can kill people or handle crowds in 5 different ways as opposed to 2 in CoD, but for someone like me that wants to try and avoid even killing as many people as possible it "feels" practically the same.

Most of the game (thusfar)plays like the pathways in RE4 that you go to between open areas (think of the walk from the hut to the village at the very beginning of the game), which is exactly the structure and balance of CoD. See the point I'm making? I left practically every "zombie" alive in RE1 and 4, just like all my MGS games are No-kill, no-alert because I could simply outmanuever everything, or think my way past confrontation. In this, I'm being forced into one singular style of gameplay, which is basically move forward and shoot, which is exactly the same way I'm forced to play CoD, which I find grating - especially when the game, on top of that, just randomly takes control away from you every 5 minutes, or doesn't let you pursue clear alternatives that are sitting right in front of your face. MGS3 lets me kill a boss before I fight it just by being smart and paying attention to what's going on, and this series still doesn't let me shoot the stuff on the floor that I know is going to get up and turn into a zombie, or walk around the spooky room down a different hallway that just has a knee high table blocking it.

edit: Comparisons to MGS, because the series obviously was hugely inspired by MGS with 4, just like 6 is hugely inspired by CoD/Gears of War.

Darko fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 3, 2012

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skeezy posted:

So I've heard that playing the Chris campaign as Piers is much better. Is this true?

There's at least one part of that campaign that's almost specifically designed for a human player to be using Piers, and making do without him can be frustrating.

They said that back in March. It's one of the reasons why the RE fan community has been so leery towards the game.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
The vehicle sections in all 3 campaigns are loving terrible, ugh.

I wish that they split the chapters up into smaller chunks like 1-1,1-2,1-3. As it is it'll make going back through for collectables a pain.

Edit - Jake chapter 2 mandatory stealth section :smithicide:. It was going so smoothly until the last 15 mins

charismaslover fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 3, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just started Chris's Chapter 3
Chris shouted BATTLE POSITIONS" before curb stomping a dudes head and slitting the other guys throat. Calm down buddy.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

Darko posted:

Resident Evil 6 plays like COD for most of the campaigns - what are you talking about?

Basically, in the COD/Battlefield style game design, you're essentially making a light gun shooter like Time Crisis, with a slight bit more control to give the player the illusion of freedom. The whole game is basically an interactive movie where you can shoot the characters on screen, but aren't really doing anything else. However, as long as the illusion isn't "broken" - most players won't tell the difference.

The progression from Doom > COD is pretty much the same as RE1 > RE6, for comparison. In the early first person shooters, you could freely roam around, collecting "keys" and discovering how to progress, just like RE1-3. Half Life mixed the roaming with linear path (with a little bit of right and left movement) like RE4/5. RE6 is pretty much like CoD for most of the game, where you're moving straight down a singular path, sometimes shooting (or stabbing) stuff along that set path, and it's impossible to "break" the progression in any way (for instance, avoiding traps/zombies that you know will appear, running past NPCs that you're following, etc.). And, it CONSTANTLY takes control away from the player - you open a door, small cutscene, you turn a corner, cutscene, you go into a new room - CINEMATIC EVENT. I never experienced a 10 minute sequence of gameplay where control was not wrestled from me multiple times, and that's directly from CoD's game design style.

That's part of my problem with the game and leads up to the whole issue I have - there are just too many moments when I'm annoyed by overly restrictive game design to the point where the whole experience is annoying. I don't care in the slightest about plot or what happens when I don't have control - I want to PLAY the game, and the game refuses to let me seemingly MOST of the time that it's on.

I never mentioned linearity and that's all you're talking about here. I was talking about inventory, choices and character progression. Also the cutscenes aren't even 10% as bad or common as critical darling Max Payne 3. I don't think they're any more frequent than RE5.

Edit: To expand, what I mean by choice is more strategic depth than branching pathways or large arenas. You have many ways to take on (most) situations and the higher skill the player is, the more they can exploit the mechanics for quick, flashy kills. You can scavenge for grenades, use a stunning attack and follow through with a finisher, do a running kick and stomp on the fallen enemy's head, counter its attack, shoot it in the knees to trip an entire group or merely just go for headshots. While the arenas may be simpler than RE4's, there's a LOT more thought going into the combat.

Scissorfighter fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 3, 2012

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
I made it through Chris chapter 2 last night, and I need to bitch about the part where the first giant B.O.W. comes back after you kill the second one. I figured out that you need to hop onto it when it's reeling against a building, but holy poo poo the QTE to pull the weak point out was retarded. After like 5 failed attempts I had to palm the stick with my right hand and go nuts on it and I still barely managed to get it done. Did I miss something here? None of the wiggling QTEs in the demo nor the prologue were anywhere near this difficult.

Also I too have noticed that enemies (in Chris' campaign anyway) will sometimes just shrug off bullets, especially when they're in reeling animations. This just seems really frustrating because in 4, you can lay into a guy with the TMP and even if they're not staggering, they still flinch for every bullet they take. Here, nothing seems to happen, you get no feedback on whether you're even hurting the guy, unless you manage to hit a limb or the head and cause another stagger. I guess the game wants me to gain some ground during staggers, but when the guy's got buddies behind cover with him, that's not always the best idea. Feh.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Just beat Jake/Sherry's campaign.
Fist-fighting Ustanak was satisfying as all hell, and it was appropriately ridiculous for the absurdity that is Resident Evil. The lift setpiece was kinda frustrating because it took me a long while to figure out how the crawling QTE worked. I just loved how you finally killed the Ustanak, Jake and Sherry have a nice, cheesy moment while some soft, inspiring rock music starts playing, and both look forward, symbolically wondering what will happen now that they've finally escaped. All the time they're barely hanging on to a speeding lift while a horrible explosion rages on behind them.
Looking forward to starting Chris's campaign now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darko posted:

Yes, admittedly, you can kill people or handle crowds in 5 different ways as opposed to 2 in CoD, but for someone like me that wants to try and avoid even killing as many people as possible it "feels" practically the same.

It feels practical the same to you because you're looking for the game to be something it isn't. Resident Evil, from the start, has been more akin to an arcade game than an adventure game. The emphasis in gameplay RE has been on speed and scores, with encouragement for replaying the game and getting better. This has been increasingly emphasized as the games have progressed, but it's been there from the start.

You may have been able to play RE4 by killing only the required enemies (and I enjoyed doing that too!) but it pretty clearly wasn't the way the game was designed to be played and at best represented a handicap the player imposed on themselves. The emphasis, the focus of the mechanics, and the design were all towards something specific, and many of the methods for getting past areas without killing enemies involved glitches, exploits or other things. (At least if you went for a bare-minimum-kill game as opposed to a within-game's-limits bare minimum, which still involved whole boatloads of intentional killing.)

Resident Evil did not market itself as a wide open game with a huge variety of choices. Even at its most open you've had a choice between fighting or not fighting at best, with not fighting limited to (again, at best) 'shoot the enemy in the leg and run past" or "run past." This doesn't make it a bad game any more than Double Dragon or Viewtiful Joe are bad games because they require you to defeat enemies. It certainly doesn't mean you're wrong for disliking it, but RE hasn't been shy about embracing the arcade aspects.

Believe me, I sympathize entirely with your view. If I have a nonlethal path in a game I will take it, even if it's ridiculous. (I played Red Dead Redemption by shooting guns out of hands and lassoing guys whenever possible.) It just isn't what RE tries to be. I can't really tell a cat it is bad for not barking.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 3, 2012