Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

atomicthumbs posted:

I want a gas-turbine hybrid electric car just because it would sound like a loving banshee

The Jaguar C-X75 was going to have a pair of small turbines powering the hybrid system but it's on hold now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Captain McAllister posted:

'If it has an engine, men will race it.'

This is probably more appropriate.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
Peugeot Onyx concept car from the Paris motor show:

Carbon fibre and copper.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That's pretty hot for a Peugeot...

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Itzena posted:

Carbon fibre and copper.

That's an interesting choice of materials for a car... Would love to see crash test footage of something like that

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I do architectural copper coatings as my second (under the table) job... it's all fun and games until someone melts their skin off trying to get back into the car after a warm day. :v:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The sad/great part about the Onyx is that everything underneath that sexy body is what was left when the 908 Hybrid4 was cancelled. They reskinned the already constructed car and replaced the monocoque. Meaning it's a full Le Mans overall title contender LMP1 prototype under all that. Twin turbo V8 that makes 600hp and 1000lb/ft, plus twin electric motors at the front wheels, and more technology and engineering than you can shake about $60+ million worth of sticks at.

It's one of the few just-for-shits concept cars that I genuinely think is very, very loving cool.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

neckbeard posted:

That's an interesting choice of materials for a car... Would love to see crash test footage of something like that

I find it rather neat: the copper plating is bare, unfinished metal that's been polished to a high sheen. Over time, it will oxidize and change colors, which makes the car constantly evolving/"alive" according to Peugeot.

It's the kind of thing that'll never happen on a production car, but makes for a great concept.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

an oddly awful oud posted:

It's the kind of thing that'll never happen on a production car, but makes for a great concept.

Tell that to Sockington.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Itzena posted:

Carbon fibre and copper.

Let's fast foward a few years:

I'm sure it's coated to prevent petina, but I like to think it's not :allears:

Exothermos
Nov 1, 2011

I think the Statue of Liberty Effect would be more stately.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

rcman50166 posted:

I'm sure it's coated to prevent patina, but I like to think it's not :allears:

an oddly awful oud posted:

I find it rather neat: the copper plating is bare, unfinished metal that's been polished to a high sheen. Over time, it will oxidize and change colors, which makes the car constantly evolving/"alive" according to Peugeot.

I dunno if this counts, but this is a shot from 195(5?) of an intersection near where I live. Cool old cars:

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 4, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Previous land speed record setter has decided to try and break his old record, just for shits and giggles you know. He's aiming for 1000mph.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/futureoftech/1-000-mile-hour-rocket-car-clears-preliminary-test-6259362?ocid=msnhp

quote:

The test brought together three components; the rocket itself, a tank containing the peroxide-based rocket fuel and a Cosworth Formula One engine used purely to pump the fuel into the combustion chamber.

goddamn :suspense:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

kastein posted:

Previous land speed record setter has decided to try and break his old record, just for shits and giggles you know. He's aiming for 1000mph.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/futureoftech/1-000-mile-hour-rocket-car-clears-preliminary-test-6259362?ocid=msnhp

goddamn :suspense:

At the very least, it will be a cool way to die.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

rcman50166 posted:

Let's fast foward a few years:

I'm sure it's coated to prevent petina, but I like to think it's not :allears:

Copper can patina more than that in a day, trust me. :smith: Copper can still patina under clear, it sucks if you get fingerprints on copper and then clear it. Come back a few days later and the finger prints are black on the otherwise brushed/whatever you did to it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

nm posted:

At the very least, it will be a cool way to die.

So far Richard Noble seems to be able to engineer LSR cars like no one else, so the odds of firery death are pretty low I suspect. Actually all things considered, the successful run rate of LSR cars is pretty good.

On the other hand, have a look at the death rate for anyone trying to beat the water speed record. Ken Warby's record has held for what.... 35 years? Anyone who's gone close has died.

quote:

With an approximate fatality rate of 85% since 1940, the record is one of the sporting world's most hazardous competitions.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

plecostomus posted:

Is the cover to heat the steering wheel or is it for some other racing purpose (to stop grease or sweat getting on the wheel?)
Rally cars sometimes have 'sticky' wheel coatings to grip racing gloves better, maybe that coating doesn't like being exposed to UV?

who is spain
Oct 28, 2010

Krakkles posted:

I dunno if this counts, but this is a shot from 195(5?) of an intersection near where I live. Cool old cars:

I see a '60 Chevy wagon behind the Olds in the foreground, so at least 1960.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Cat Terrist posted:

On the other hand, have a look at the death rate for anyone trying to beat the water speed record. Ken Warby's record has held for what.... 35 years? Anyone who's gone close has died.

quote:

With an approximate fatality rate of 85% since 1940, the record is one of the sporting world's most hazardous competitions.

This is absolutely fascinating. :stare:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Itzena posted:

Carbon fibre and copper.

While that car is neat and all...what's the story with that bike looking thing back there?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Taco Box posted:

While that car is neat and all...what's the story with that bike looking thing back there?

The Peugeot Onyx Scooter concept

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Scooter :flaccid:

Kinda looks like a Piaggio mp3

e: :rolleye: durr it said that in the article

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Technically the famous red "motorcycle" from akira would be a scooter too. :colbert:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The thing that annoys me about that article is the dude in the comments saying that configuration is becoming popular in the bicycle world. Mainly because it's really not. I work on a university campus which has 25,000 students and maybe 7500 bikes. How many of those are 2 wheeled at the front? One. I ride through the city daily and I've only ever seen that single monstrosity tootling about the place. We've got countless hipsters on fixies but only one of those piles of crap.

:colbert:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Octopus Magic posted:

Technically the famous red "motorcycle" from akira would be a scooter too. :colbert:

Technically, how? The only scooter feature that comes to mind that sort of fits is that one's feet go inside the frame (but one also straddles the frame, so it's a draw)
tire size? probably not a scooter
engine performance? not a scooter
handling? not a scooter
clutch? I don't know. Maybe the Akira 'bike has a CVT?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Itzena posted:

Carbon fibre and copper.

Every French concept sports car I've seen at various shows in the past few years has been some kind of ultra-cool-as-gently caress space fighter from the future design. And what all does all that design language net? A funky crease on the new Megane? Citroens with LEDs and 2 tone paint? A Peugeot that makes you think "that actually looks quite nice if you had to buy one".
Pull your finger out, Frenchies! I want a hypergalactic space-fighter that makes the Aventador look sooo 2012!

*note to Frenchies: I cannot actually afford a hypergalactic space-fighter that makes the Aventador look sooo 2012, I can't even afford a Peugeot RCZ, although I do think it looks quite nice.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

joat mon posted:

Technically, how? The only scooter feature that comes to mind that sort of fits is that one's feet go inside the frame (but one also straddles the frame, so it's a draw)
handling? not a scooter

They've made some pretty fast scooters (electric even!) and judging by the wheel base, it certainly isn't going to be showing up on moto GP bikes any time soon for handling.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

joat mon posted:

handling? not a scooter

It depends on where the motor is. If it's in the frame under the seat, I'd call it a motorcycle. If that's an electric motor directly driving the rear hub, it's a scooter (judging by the sounds from the movie, I'd say that's more likely -- there's an electric motor directly driving the hub).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Moments before impacting a rather large rock.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

joat mon posted:

handling? not a scooter

There are scooters with 16" wheels and 75 horsepower and good handling and manual transmissions (not necessarily in one bike) and there are motorcycles with 15 horsepower, poo poo handling, and CVT transmissions (also not necessarily in one bike) so none of your criteria really work.

The Akira bike has a sort of step-through frame and it looks like the rear swingarm contains the motor/trans, which would be sound criteria to make it a scooter.

Really, though, it's neither. It's a motorbike from a loving anime.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

none of your criteria really work.

That was my (poorly made) point. There is no 'technical' definition of scooter, just a bunch of fuzzy characteristics that usually work pretty well in a general sense but are weighted differently by each different person.

*Some statutes do have technical definitions, like 100cc or smaller AND top speed less than 50 mph is a scooter for tax and licensing requirements.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

kastein posted:

Moments before impacting a rather large rock.

Photos of said rock impact?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIi4DUIkrus

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

joat mon posted:

handling? not a scooter

This has big tires, big engine and good handling and a clutch and it's scooter. All it needs is a step through frame, which the akira bike has to be considered a scooter.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Not as bad as I was expecting.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Original English Akira dub:

"...ceramic double-rotor two wheel drive, man, it even has computer controlled anti-lock brakes, 12,000 RPMs..."

http://youtu.be/SP6vWDUfgpo

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, IIRC they bent a few control arms and smashed up the front bodywork a bit but that's about all.

I like their oops in the MJ a lot more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBehplztn_s

Oh well, we spun out. Better spin out again to get going the right direction!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

88h88 posted:

Original English Akira dub:

"...ceramic double-rotor two wheel drive, man, it even has computer controlled anti-lock brakes, 12,000 RPMs..."

http://youtu.be/SP6vWDUfgpo

Anime? Seriously?

Don Baylor
Oct 24, 2005

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

There are scooters with 16" wheels and 75 horsepower and good handling and manual transmissions (not necessarily in one bike) and there are motorcycles with 15 horsepower, poo poo handling, and CVT transmissions (also not necessarily in one bike) so none of your criteria really work.

The Akira bike has a sort of step-through frame and it looks like the rear swingarm contains the motor/trans, which would be sound criteria to make it a scooter.

Really, though, it's neither. It's a motorbike from a loving anime.

Hah, I know this Hearse, the interior is actually really well done in the back, seats about six I think. She rents it out as a kind of micro party bus. The day she got it she took me out for a ride around Seattle's Capitol Hill area and I'll admit, the quality of work she paid for was worth it, not really my thing, but it's still pretty drat cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

front wing flexing posted:

This has big tires, big engine and good handling and a clutch and it's scooter. All it needs is a step through frame, which the akira bike has to be considered a scooter.

It even has COMPUTER CONTROLLED anti-lock brakes!