Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

TTBF posted:

I can't believe I messed up the spelling of cinematography but got mise en scene correct.

I listened to your latest episode after finally watching Vampire's Kiss, which is something I should have done a long time ago. You said that Cage was overacting but in reality he was mega-acting, which is Nic Cage's own school of acting. The Nic Cage thread can cure you of all your Cage misconceptions and reveal in you a love for the actor you never quite realized you had. You also might find the answer about if Vampire's Kiss was meant to be funny or if that was pure Cage.

I really enjoyed you guys playing the entire alphabet clip when you got to the finish your drink line. I think doing similar with future finish your drink lines is something that would be nice to have in future episodes. I know it would have been pretty useful for the X-Files movie so listeners could know just how long of a pause you were talking about.

Thanks, TTBF! I hope we didn't convey that we disliked Nic Cage's acting, because we actually very much enjoyed it. Our BAC also likely affected our ability to be as articulate as we may normally be with a film, so that may have come across as confusion more than the amazement and awe that it was.

Honestly, to give complete candor - don't drink the Vampire's Kiss cocktail. Not because it's not delicious, but because you will basically be incoherent after even one. Mixing a wine drunk with a whiskey drunk is the worst thing possible, and may have played a factor in the significant drunkenness of some of our guests for our upcoming 50th episode.

Thanks for the suggestion about the FYD line clip; I may continue that tradition since it was nice to get some audio from the film in there - for the ones where I have video files I can convert, at least. It's a nice change from us saying the line in unison, which can get confusing (and perhaps irritating) too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

:siren: NEW EPISODE! :siren:

Here's our 50th episode special, where we drag in four of our previous guests (we had two more scheduled, but they had to bow out at the last minute) to watch The NeverEnding Story. This one was an editing doozy, as we basically recorded the podcast during what turned into a party with all eight or so of us. As a result, some of us are more "gone" than others, but I think I managed to make a pretty good episode out of it. Also, I was (and am) currently fighting some awful sinus stuff so I sound a bit more nasal than usual. We also announce the winner of the Drinking Game contest, so it might interest you to take a listen to see if you won (especially you, goons - feel free to PM me your email so I can send you your prize). You can find the episode and drinking game here.

Alcohollywood posted:

THIS EPISODE’S DRINK: The Nothing

5 parts gin
2 parts Flimm Apfel apple liqueur
2 parts Goldschlager
1 part St. Germain
splash, lemon
splash bitters

Combine and stir.

RULES:

1) Drink whenever you see a reaction shot of Bastian (either before or during his reading session)
2) Drink anytime someone says “Atreyu”
3) Drink a character says the word “nothing”

FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:

Bastian (Barret Oliver) screams, nearly unintelligibly, the name he gives to the Childlike Empress

We're tackling Spielberg for the first time since our first episode next week, since we're drinking to and watching Duel. Let us know what you think!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Our first episode saw us making a drinking game to Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull; for our fifty-first episode, we decided to take a user request and take a look at Spielberg's first feature-length effort, Duel! Starring Dennis Weaver (Touch of Evil) as David Mann, a mixture of Willy Loman and Michael Gross from Family Ties, was written by Richard Matheson (I Am Legend), based on his short story. Mann's business road trip through an unidentified part of the American Southwest sees him confronting an antagonistic truck driver (who is never seen), who stalks him with increasing fervor as the film progresses.

Jared and I absolutely loved this film; I'd seen it before, but it was a long time ago, and I didn't quite appreciate the awesome 70s grit and artistry that went into this freshman effort from Spielberg. The sheer minimalism in the cinematography is fantastic, as the truck itself seems symbolic of Mann's failings as a man (his name is quite aptly chosen). The podcast also created some great discussion - arguably much better than the drunken ramblings of last week's party/episode, as we discuss the subtext of Mann's search for power and masculinity, the uniquely American appeal of cars and trucks as horror monsters, and the outright bizarre nature of every other character in the film.

You can check out the episode/drink/game here.

quote:

THIS EPISODE’S DRINK: The Road Rage

4 parts tequila
4 parts grapefruit juice
3 parts ginger liqueur
Combine and stir.

RULES:

1) Drink anytime you see Dennis Weaver in a mirror (e.g. rear view/side mirrors, bathroom mirrors)
2) Drink anytime Dennis Weaver actually says a line (NOTE: Drink only once for the start of internal monologues)
3) Drink whenever you hear a horn blast from the antagonizing truck

FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:

The lady at Snakerama (Lucille Benson) says “Take a look at my snakes when you have the time.”

Next week, we're going to fulfill a user request for a Dirty Harry movie by picking, arguably, the worst one of the bunch - The Dead Pool, costarring Patricia Clarkson, Liam Neeson and Jim Carrey. Presumably Clint Eastwood will talk to chairs with people in them this time.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Sorry I skipped last week, guys - the thread also seems to just be me updating, so let me know if these are welcome at all. I'd love to keep discussing the films/games with you if there's still demand, however.

This time around, we decided to check out a couple of French action movies that were big vehicles for the parkour craze of the mid-2000s: District B13 and District 13: Ultimatum. These mid-2000s French action pics, produced by Luc Besson, follow a cop (Cyril Raffaelli) and a thief (parkour co-founder David Belle) as they save the downtrodden residents of District 13, a walled-up ghetto in future Paris, from both overly-ambitious gangsters and an uncaring, homocidal dystopian government.

We went into these movies fully expecting corny but terrible Eurotrash action, but they turned out to be surprisingly fun and energetic. Parkour, for all its faddiness, is a really kinetic and wonderful thing to watch when applied to action films. Given that the first film is directed by Pierre Morel (Taken), the action is delightfully fast-paced and elaborately choreographed. The chemistry between the two leads is rather interesting, especially since one of them is the co-founder of the sport itself; they conduct themselves well, and there's a great bit of humor sprinkled throughout these films to get you through their relatively short runtime.

You can check out the episode/drink/game here.

quote:

THIS EPISODE’S DRINK: Parkour de France

4 parts applejack

1 part creme de cassis

3 parts coconut water

4-5 dashes, Pacheaud’s bitters

mint, garnish

RULES:

1) Drink every time a character does a parkour jump
2) Drink whenever you see a Fast and Furious-style garish car
3) Drink whenever you see graffiti

FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:

District B13: Damian says “Mega-mission accomplished!”

District 13: Ultimatum: The French President says, ” I’d like a little brandy.”

Next week, we're getting in touch with our feminine sides by re-examining the 1998 Drew Barrymore fairy tale (Barrytale?) Ever After.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Sep 21, 2012

Mr. Giggles
Nov 4, 2009
Though I haven't listened to your stuff, I enjoy the drinking game recommendations as well as the drinks. Cheers!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Mr. Giggles posted:

Though I haven't listened to your stuff, I enjoy the drinking game recommendations as well as the drinks. Cheers!

Thanks very much - I appreciate it! I'll at least be updating with the episodes every week, but people are more than welcome to pitch in about the movies themselves as well.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

This time around, we decided to take a break from action flicks and please the ladies by looking at the Drew Barrymore Cinderella adaptation Ever After, another big movie that benefited from the Titanic trend in the late 90s of teenage girls becoming the primary audience for big-budget studio flicks. We actually didn't mind the film so much - it's not our cup of tea actively, but it maintained a decent sort of energy as the film went on, and some of the humor actually hit more than it missed. I still think Drew Barrymore is, more or less, a dreadful actress, but there was just enough sprightliness in the story to get you through it, and the rest of the performances (particularly Huston and Melanie Lynskey) are pretty good. We throw in a couple segments, like "Hard History: Time Warp," where we :goonsay: about historical inaccuracies in the films (not as inherent indicators of the film's quality, but as fun little history lessons).

You can check out the podcast and the drinking game here.

Alcohollywood posted:

THIS EPISODE'S DRINK: The Green Fairy Godmother

1 part bison grass
1 part lemon-flavored vodka
2 parts amaretto

Combine and pour into wine glass.

ABSINTHE-VANILLA FOAM:

3 parts absinthe
2 parts lemon juice
2 parts egg white
splash, vanilla extract

whip ingredients together into foam (via immersion blender or mixer); pour over drink.

RULES:

1) Drink whenever you see a slow pan from one direction to another
2) Drink for eyebrow-raising
3) Drink whenever you see conduct unbecoming a "lady" (e.g. punching, rudeness, pratfalls by a female character)

FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:

Danielle de Barbarac (Drew Barrymore) says to herself, "Just breathe."

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You should totally do one for The Princess Bride.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

Volume posted:

You should totally do one for The Princess Bride.

This would require two drinks, which you are forced to choose between.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Hibernator posted:

A peanut has to be the garnish.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Top Gun:
Drink every time a one-liner is said
Drink every time something homoerotic happens (open to interpretation)
Waterfall the volleyball scene

Good loving luck

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Hibernator posted:

Drinks which are exactly identical to look at, except one has ten times the alcohol content.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you
Really? A history-specific segment and you didn't call it "Hard Time"?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

OK Octopus posted:

Really? A history-specific segment and you didn't call it "Hard Time"?

Hey, you don't get to name all the segments. :colbert: I think we just named it Hard History: Time Warp because it was a deliberately clumsy play on the Hard Science segment. We did come up with it on the spot, since Jared loves to :spergin: out on stuff. We might streamline it later, we're still playing around with it.

I am working on being more prepared for recording, since I fear were not being as informative or analytical as we could be since we often just record right after we watch it, and if its the first time I usually haven't solidified my position on the film quite yet.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

This time around, since it's October and all, we're invoking HORROR OCTORBOR!, where we watch all Stephen King adaptations for the month. First up is 1408, the John Cusack-Samuel L. Jackson movie where Cusack plays - you guessed it - a tortured horror writer with family issues. Here, Nick Enslin (Cusack) investigates a haunted hotel room for his next story and gets more than he bargained for. It's pretty middle of the road, but not as bad as I remember it being the first time I watched it; this is mostly due to Jackson's wry performance, some good moments from Cusack, and very skilled direction from Mikael Halfstrom. That being said, it does become a bit of a slog, and I hate what I refer to in the podcast as "The Bullshit Act," in which things are supposed to be totally fine for about twenty minutes 2/3 of the way through the movie, until the main character is ripped back into their horrific situation That being said, I'd say it's worth a look if you haven't seen it, for the strength of the first act alone.

We've been playing around with sound effects and music just a bit more, so let me know if it's too distracting or not.

OK Octopus: I told Jared about your admonishment of us not using "Hard Time." His response - "*long sigh of defeat*....gently caress, he's right."

You can check out the review and drinking game here.

Alcohollywood posted:

THIS EPISODE’S DRINK: The Evil loving Room

1 part caraway-infused black cherry syrup:
- caraway seeds
- black cherry juice (no sugar added)
4 parts honeycrisp apple juice
0 parts (get it?) dry sherry
8 parts scotch

Heat up black cherry juice on stovetop heat till reduced; pulverize caraway seeds and add to juice. Stir until combined. Pour a bit of dry sherry into the empty glass, swirl, and pour that out. Pour juices and scotch into the glass, and garnish with keys.

RULES:

1) Drink anytime someone says ’1408′ or any other number (also when they are seen)
2) Drink every time John Cusack shrieks or screams or yells
3) Drink any time John Cusack speaks into his tape recorder

FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:

Nick Enslin (John Cusack) shouts “I WAS OUT! I WAS OUT!!!!”

Next week, we're doing IT, so stay tuned for creepy incest and creepier Tim Curry!

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
Just out of curiosity when you said that you were alternating between good and bad movies was this originally supposed to be a bad movie or a good one?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Hewlett posted:

This time around, since it's October and all, we're invoking HORROR OCTORBOR!, where we watch all Stephen King adaptations for the month. First up is 1408, the John Cusack-Samuel L. Jackson movie where Cusack plays - you guessed it - a tortured horror writer with family issues. Here, Nick Enslin (Cusack) investigates a haunted hotel room for his next story and gets more than he bargained for. It's pretty middle of the road, but not as bad as I remember it being the first time I watched it; this is mostly due to Jackson's wry performance, some good moments from Cusack, and very skilled direction from Mikael Halfstrom. That being said, it does become a bit of a slog, and I hate what I refer to in the podcast as "The Bullshit Act," in which things are supposed to be totally fine for about twenty minutes 2/3 of the way through the movie, until the main character is ripped back into their horrific situation That being said, I'd say it's worth a look if you haven't seen it, for the strength of the first act alone.

We've been playing around with sound effects and music just a bit more, so let me know if it's too distracting or not.

OK Octopus: I told Jared about your admonishment of us not using "Hard Time." His response - "*long sigh of defeat*....gently caress, he's right."

You can check out the review and drinking game here.

Next week, we're doing IT, so stay tuned for creepy incest and creepier Tim Curry!

You should also drink for every lovecraft refrence.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

MadScientistWorking posted:

Just out of curiosity when you said that you were alternating between good and bad movies was this originally supposed to be a bad movie or a good one?

It was supposed to be one of the bad ones; We'd seen it before, but not IT; that one will be posted in a few hours, but suffice to say we weren't all that crazy about it. In essence, just throw the alternating good/bad out the door, since we were so wrong on that count at least.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

:siren: DOUBLE POST! :siren:

I took a week off since I was lazy and had other things to do, but we still had posted a new episode last week. We tackled IT, and it was actually not that great. Jared didn't even know that it was a miniseries, so we ended up sitting through three hours of weird awkward adolescent sexuality and obnoxious Seth Green/Harry Anderson comedy throughout the majority of it. I thought the first half was better than the latter half, but boy oh boy did this movie slog. Tim Curry also felt wasted in the role; he kind of just scampered around like a Power Rangers villain for all five minutes it felt like he was on screen. (Then again, when the antagonist of your film and the titular character are played by an actor who gets a 'Special Appearance by' credit, you can count on him not being in the movie much.)

quote:

THIS EPISODE’S DRINK: The Hallo-wine Spr-IT-zer

4 parts Hallowine spiced wine (you can find it at your local liquor store around this time of year)
1 part amaretto
1 part spiced rum
3 parts club soda/sparkling water
dash, blood orange bitters

Combine and pour into goblet of your choice.

RULES:

1) Drink whenever someone says the word ‘It’
2) Drink whenever someone uses an odd, uncommon figure of speech or taunt (“Kingisms”)
3) Drink whenever the narrative transitions between past and present

FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:

Richie (Harry Anderson) retorts, “I can’t really help you with that, buddy, but thanks for sharing.”

Today, I posted our next episode, which was for the Stephen King-penned Silver Bullet, in which handicapped Corey Haim and his drunk uncle Gary Busey have to solve the mystery of a werewolf that's tearing people to shreds. This movie and IT share some interesting parallels, but they seem to be mostly King's stock in trade: adolescent boys growing up in small-town Maine who make promises and overcome adversity, all the while their anxieties and hangups are represented by some schlocky monster. However, this film in particular also seems to be part of the late 80s/early 90s kick of films where kids solve mysteries with a fancy and easily-marketable gadget (a la Flight of the Navigator), as the kid gets this fancy wheelchair motorcycle thing - the titular Silver Bullet - complete with red flames, a loving DIESEL ENGINE and two sissy antennae with red flags on it. The whole thing was extremely silly and scattershot; still, there's enough 80s flavor and raw, unfiltered Busey in it to make it an entertaining watch at least.

[url="http://www.alcohollywood.com/horror-octorbor-silver-bullet-1985/"]Here's the episode and drinking game for it[url], and you can find IT on the previous page as well.

quote:

THIS EPISODE’S DRINK: The Holy Jumped-Up Jesus Palomino

1 part moonshine (get it?)
4 parts Coors Light (the silver bullet itself)
3 parts cranberry juice
1 part spearmint schnapps

Combine and stir.

RULES:

1) Drink whenever another character takes a drink (alcoholic or no)
2) Drink anytime someone curses
3) Drink anytime you hear howls or growls (either from the werewolf, Busey, or anyone else)

FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:

The gun shop owner slurs, “How ’bout a wurrrwolf?”

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Some Kind of Goblin is extremely funny and I like him a lot.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Some Kind of Goblin is extremely funny and I like him a lot.

Thanks! We were worried about getting too crazy with characters and whatnot, but Jared is a pretty solid actor and great at voices so that's pretty gratifying to hear.

Since we're following up with Stephen King movies this October, we knew we needed to tackle The Shining, which I still hadn't seen all of until this viewing for the podcast. I'd seen bits and pieces, so I wasn't as cognizant of how much of a slow burn it is - Kubrick is an absolute master at ramping up tension, and so many of his shots are so painterly and meticulous that the Overlook is as much of a character as the rest of the Torrances. The music, the performances, the cinematography are all incredible, and We just really couldn't say enough good things about this film, but luckily I think we came up with some good rules that will keep you on your toes.

Here's the episode and podcast.

Alcohollywood" posted:

THIS EPISODE'S DRINK: Tony's Red-Rum Punch

3 parts pumpkin-infused spiced rum
1 part Cointreau or other orange liqueur
1 part Goldschlager or other cinnamon liqueur
2 parts cranberry juice
dash Pechaud's bitters
rosemary, muddled

Muddle rosemary; combine liqueurs and shake. Pour into glass and finish with cranberry juice and bitters. Stir and serve.

RULES:

1) Drink for grins
2) Drink every time an implement is swung (keep a drink handy during the baseball bat and ax scenes)
3) Drink every time you see or hear 'Redrum'

FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:

(you guessed it) Jack Torrance, through the broken door, growls, "Heere's Johnny!"

We're gonna put up our Halloween special (Alcoholloween) for this year on Tuesday, and fulfill a listener request by watching Creepshow (which fits, since it was written by Stephen King anyway).

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

ANNOUNCEMENT: Alcohollywood is nominated for Best Food & Drink Podcast at the Podcast Awards, and you can help us win! First off, thanks to all/any of you who voted for us to be nominated in the first place, since we're in the finalists in this category! (Sure, we're more of a movie podcast than a cocktail podcast, but a nomination is a nomination.) We're more likely than not going to be in Las Vegas at the New Media Expo for the Podcast Awards on January 7th, and if we win we're naming you!

Basically, all you have to do is go to http://www.podcastawards.com and select us for Best Food & Drink Podcast (there are plenty of other great podcasts in the other categories you can vote for as well). Cast your vote, and then come back the next day - voting resets every day at midnight, so you can vote for us every day if you want until November 15th, when the polls close. If we win, I'm planning on mentioning SA, Wag the Movie, and Current Releases in our acceptance speech (if we get one).

Thanks a lot! (Oh, I posted our Alcoholloween special, where we talk about Creepshow, made a crazy milk drink called the Meteor poo poo, and put to bed the whole Some Kind of Goblin thing.)

Next week, we're finally getting into "bad movies podcast" territory (since we usually try to avoid that sort of thing) with the McConaughey-Oldman midget movie Tiptoes, and the week after that we're going to try to dip our toe into reviewing a new release with Skyfall.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Just put up our latest episode, which is on the 2003 stinker Tiptoes, starring Matthew McConaughey, Kate Beckinsale and Gary Oldman in what the trailer calls "the role of a lifetime" - namely, putting on a Dorf outfit and pretending to be a put-upon midget in front of a cast full of prominent dwarf actors who don't get the lead role.

It's banal and sickening, and kinda looks like an episode of Dawson's Creek despite being released in 2003. Take a listen though! (And don't forget to vote for us for Best Food & Drink Podcast at the http://www.podcastawards.com as often as you can before the 15th.)

NOTE: We've also started to get ahold of the guys who are running B-Fest, a 24 hour B movie film festival at Northwestern University in Chicago, and we are more than likely going to sponsor a film at that festival. Which of our previous films we've covered would qualify? (HINT: The top spot's pretty much already going to go to Starcrash, but we need a list of five.)

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hewlett posted:

NOTE: We've also started to get ahold of the guys who are running B-Fest, a 24 hour B movie film festival at Northwestern University in Chicago, and we are more than likely going to sponsor a film at that festival. Which of our previous films we've covered would qualify? (HINT: The top spot's pretty much already going to go to Starcrash, but we need a list of five.)

Rhinestone or Vampire's Kiss.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm a student at Northwestern (B-fest should be in Evanston, the Chicago campus is mainly the med school/law school) and it would be super cool and kind of surreal to see something sponsored by you guys.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm a student at Northwestern (B-fest should be in Evanston, the Chicago campus is mainly the med school/law school) and it would be super cool and kind of surreal to see something sponsored by you guys.

Well, it's about a 90% at least certainty that we're gonna do it, so I'm sure we'll see you there. Between that and the Podcast Awards thing (which I'm almost positive we're going to go to Vegas to attend the Expo), our January is gonna be pretty freaking busy. (And yeah, you're right, it's Evanston, my bad.)

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Just a reminder, voting at PodcastAwards.com closes today at 9PM Eastern, so go vote for Alcohollywood while there's still time!

You guys deserve some kind of award for last week's episode. If I hadn't already seen the trailer for Tiptoes, I would have assumed you were making this movie up. It's just such a bizarre concept, I can't believe it attracted the sort of cast it landed. I have to watch this film somehow, someway.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Jay Dub posted:

Just a reminder, voting at PodcastAwards.com closes today at 9PM Eastern, so go vote for Alcohollywood while there's still time!

You guys deserve some kind of award for last week's episode. If I hadn't already seen the trailer for Tiptoes, I would have assumed you were making this movie up. It's just such a bizarre concept, I can't believe it attracted the sort of cast it landed. I have to watch this film somehow, someway.

Thanks! The biggest problem with Tiptoes is that, barring the ridiculousness of the premise, it quickly gets old and boring pretty fast. It's just scene after circular scene of inane dialogue, uncertain characterization, and dull cinematography. I wasn't kidding when I said it looks like an episode of Dawson's Creek; I couldn't believe something like this, released in 2003, could look so much like I was watching it on VHS. I still couldn't tell you what it actually wanted to say about dwarves as a people.

This week, we're tackling a new release for once - Skyfall. Usually we try to do movies you could conceivably do drinking games to, but since this is slightly of a film review podcast than it is about the drinks and rules (despite our classification in the Podcast Awardsvotenowthisisyourlastchance) we thought it would be cool to do. Forgive my horrible Daniel Craig impression; for context, the intro is us doing a dramatic reading of a passage from the Casino Royale novel. Also, since Jared is a bit of a fan of the more traditional Bond stuff (and since I was honestly still forming my opinion on the film), we don't get as much into the sort of problematic rape/etc. issues that are covered in the Bond thread here; however, we do talk about the film in depth nonetheless and cover some other issues we very much appreciated.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

This time, we're checking out Hook, the 1991 Spielberg Peter Pan flick. It definitely doesn't hold up as well as it does when you're a kid; the film seems confused, as if it wants to have the twisty, dark fairy-tale discussion of an adult Pan who has lost his way as well as the kitschy kid's movie. It ends up accomplishing neither, with a Robin Williams who hadn't quite gotten it yet and a confused, distracted Julia Roberts. The art direction is great, and Hoffman and Hoskins do great with limited material, but we didn't quite make it gel.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Not only does Hook hate ticking clocks, he also isn't too happy about the script imposing its own ticking clock.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Are you still willing to post your schedule of movies or is that a secret now?

e: I'm interested in seeing what's coming up so that I can watch some of them before the episode goes up.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 4, 2012

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Yes, absolutely; I've just been busy with other stuff so I haven't quite gotten around to taking care of this thread as much. Next week (i.e. for Thursday), we're reviewing Throw Momma from the Train, starring Billy Crystal, Danny DeVito, and the evil old lady from The Goonies.

12/13 - Little Man Tate (it's our Connickuh episode for this year)
12/20 - 2012 (End of the World episode)
12/24 - Brazil (Christmas Special)

From there, we're still working on it. However, we are confirmed for our attendance at New Media Expo in Vegas on January 7th, with Leo Laporte hosting the ceremonies and you'll get to see us on live video stream.

Furthermore, if you're in the Chicago area, we're starting to do film screenings/drinking games/general hang out times at the Underground Wonder Bar in River North every Monday night at 7pm. We started last night with Die Hard, which was fun, but it'd be great if we could get a few more people coming out to join us. I'm gonna have Powerpoints you guys. POWERPOINTS.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Hewlett posted:

12/20 - 2012 (End of the World episode)

Oh man, I'm looking forward to this. I wouldn't say 2012 gets a bad rap, because it's definitely ridiculous and kind of awful, but I love it anyway.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Jay Dub posted:

Oh man, I'm looking forward to this. I wouldn't say 2012 gets a bad rap, because it's definitely ridiculous and kind of awful, but I love it anyway.

Yeah, given the fact that our release date just so happened to be the day before the world's supposed to end, we couldn't not do it. It will also be first-time watches for the both of us.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Hewlett posted:

Yeah, given the fact that our release date just so happened to be the day before the world's supposed to end, we couldn't not do it. It will also be first-time watches for the both of us.

Ooh, you guys are in for...something. It's a long slog of a film designed for drinking games. Drink every time you recognize another disaster movie, because Roland Emmerich apparently just said "gently caress it, let's do everything."

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I really dig 2012 for how overwhelming the disaster sequences are, and how each one symbolically destroys a source of solace in adversity, up to the floodwaters washing away the nuclear family itself near the end. It's a shame all the scenes with talking can't measure up to the ones with screaming.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

General Ironicus posted:

I really dig 2012 for how overwhelming the disaster sequences are, and how each one symbolically destroys a source of solace in adversity, up to the floodwaters washing away the nuclear family itself near the end. It's a shame all the scenes with talking can't measure up to the ones with screaming.

While you're here, that reminds me that I need to schedule either one of the suggestions you submitted to the website, or get a Patrick Wilson film in the lineup so you can show off your expertise.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hewlett posted:

While you're here, that reminds me that I need to schedule either one of the suggestions you submitted to the website, or get a Patrick Wilson film in the lineup so you can show off your expertise.

I'd love to see your drink for Hard Candy.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

weekly font posted:

I'd love to see your drink for Hard Candy.

1. Drink when you feel uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

General Ironicus posted:

1. Drink when you feel uncomfortable.

'Patrick Wilson Movie Leads to First Recorded On-Air Podcast Death'