Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
Even if you don't like any of Jake's campaign, it's all worth it for the climax of the final boss fight.

And that's just before the bit with the rocket sled, where if you're not saying poo poo like "You're fired" or "Get the hell off my train" I'm pretty sure you're Doing It Wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DehatstyTopinbout
Dec 28, 2004

C4
is the motherfucking answer
Chris Chapter 3 spoilers...

"Oh hey I'm Chris Redfield. I was traumatized by witnessing my men die in some hosed up B.O.W. situation. What's that? There's a huge invisible snake in some tight corridors? Sounds like I should lead more of my men to their death to chase it down! Shut the gently caress up Piers!

Hahaha. I finished Leon's campaign and enjoyed it all except for Simmons refusing to loving die. Seriously. How many forms did that guy need? Count me in as someone who feels like they're getting their money's worth. Giantbomb and some other posters complained about whiffing melee attacks and finishers but I've only had it happen when I was too late and the guy was already moving out of the way. I'll admit this game is flawed though. It's also totally Capcom's fault that people are getting pissed about not understanding poorly explained mechanics. Such as I'm pretty sure you have to be in offline mode to be able to pause. It doesn't matter whether you let people join or not.

I'm rocking the classic laser dot and the two aim assist skills. My biggest issue is I run out of ammo and health items like crazy. I can usually just get by with the melee and knife though. I agree with the poster that said it doesn't quite have the same feel to protecting yourself from damage as 4 or 5. Oh and thanks to whoever suggested green for the laser dot. Waaaaaay better than red in a lot of situations.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Vanrushal posted:

I made it through Chris chapter 2 last night, and I need to bitch about the part where the first giant B.O.W. comes back after you kill the second one. I figured out that you need to hop onto it when it's reeling against a building, but holy poo poo the QTE to pull the weak point out was retarded. After like 5 failed attempts I had to palm the stick with my right hand and go nuts on it and I still barely managed to get it done. Did I miss something here? None of the wiggling QTEs in the demo nor the prologue were anywhere near this difficult.

Quoting this, but it should be in the thread title: Equipping the "break away" skill makes QTEs easier.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Spoilers for Jake's final boss and the like though That whole thing was a homage to Chris vs Wesker and the end of RE2 right?
I definitly got the same vibe from the fight, not so much the RE2 part but the feel of RE5 yeah.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

quote:

Also, if you run out of stamina pop a pill and it fully refills, leading to more quickshots.
Taunting with L2 also refills your stamina quickly. It leaves you open for a few seconds, though.

Thievery posted:

Anyone know how to perform a coup de grace successfully? I did a couple of them in Leon's campaign apparently, but in the entire of Chris's I did 0 despite using melee often. I assume it's like RE5, where you chain a melee attack together with your buddy or something, then do a super powerful one to finish them, but i'm not sure.

edit - looking at the terrible manual the picture they have for it is Chris's "lift and throw" move, which I did about a thousand times. Weird.

The easiest way to do it is to play a male character, turn your back on an enemy, and press R1. They will elbow the zombie in the face. After that, approach them from the front and you'll get a prompt to do it.

By the way, about Ada's ending... What was in the coccoon? Another Carla?.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 4, 2012

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I've gotta say that I'm really enjoying the game, especially after coming off of many hours of playing Dark Souls. I read impressions before playing so I knew about many of the controls which helped out in the early game, and actually spent some time customizing brightness/controls so that wasn't a problem. I started with Jake's campaign (as Sherry) since the cinematics screen seems to imply that his events happen first, and I'm really liking the combat so far-- I'm taking it somewhat slow like I would in Dark Souls, actually.

What I'm REALLY digging is the Agent Hunt feature, though. Made sure to enable that in the options before starting the game, and I randomly get dark souls-style invasions where the other player takes command of a random creature. I get that sense of tension I got when being invaded in Dark Souls, which was great. And apparently you can be invaded by more than one person at once!

Can't say I'm looking too forward to the Leon/Chris campaign that a lot of people have been complaining about, but so far I really haven't had any serious complaints with the game so far... yet.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Spermando posted:

By the way, about Ada's ending... What was in the coccoon? Another Carla?.

It could've been drat near anything.

DehatstyTopinbout posted:

Chris Chapter 3 spoilers...

"Oh hey I'm Chris Redfield. I was traumatized by witnessing my men die in some hosed up B.O.W. situation. What's that? There's a huge invisible snake in some tight corridors? Sounds like I should lead more of my men to their death to chase it down! Shut the gently caress up Piers!

I kind of got the idea that at least half of the reason he goes into an alcoholic blackout phase was because he got beaten into the wall maybe five times immediately thereafter, like the head trauma was at least as much to blame.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Wanderer posted:

It could've been drat near anything.

I kind of got the idea that at least half of the reason he goes into an alcoholic blackout phase was because he got beaten into the wall maybe five times immediately thereafter, like the head trauma was at least as much to blame.

Yeah, right after you beat that Chapter you go back into the present and it's very implied that this is Chris having a flashback that brings back his memory, which was probably lost due to a combination of head trauma, PTSD and heavy drinking

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Played through Chapter 1 with Chris last night. It was fun but I'm still getting used to the mechanics so I pretty much suck. Doesn't help that I can't play on any difficult setting but the hardest one as I am a masochist.

Residentevil.net looks like a poorly-done fan page. Who the hell even came up with this crap??

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
What are the skills for getting X kills with each weapon type? I've played the game a fair bit but I'm not even close to the required totals.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Mercenaries is just incredible amounts of fun, and Jake seems overpowered to a ridiculous degree. He starts with 10 health pills, and you can up that to about 18 during Urban Chaos. His pistol is an excellent weapon, and can rip everything apart since it has such a fast fire rate.

Using the increased drop skill means you will never run out of ammo for it either, as long as you remember to pick it up.

Does anyone have any idea how to unlock the extra maps and the extra characters? I've unlocked Helena so far, but I can't remember how I did it.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

gently caress THE FOG

what the helllll who decided this was a good game mechanic

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Leyburn posted:

Does anyone have any idea how to unlock the extra maps and the extra characters? I've unlocked Helena so far, but I can't remember how I did it.

I think you unlock the other two standard maps by clearing Chris and Jake's campaigns. Ada's unlocked by clearing her campaign.

Getting a B or better on Steel Beast unlocks Piers, and getting a B or better on Mining the Depths unlocks Sherry. You can unlock a character's first alternate outfit by getting over 100,000 points with him or her on any stage.

At least, that's how it worked in the review build.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Cool, thanks.

Unlocking the costumes is quite easy, since it's fairly trivial to get over 100k on Urban Chaos.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Residentevil.net never gave me my point bonus. :mad:

Also, having finished Chris and Leon's campaigns so far. I'd say Leon's was (slightly) more fun but Chris had the better story. Jake's good so far too.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I am so angry at this game right now.

That entire whole snow avalanche scene was just enraging, I must have died a dozen times fuckkkkking hell!

I'm legitimately considering taking this game back. I loved the hell out of ORC, and didn't mind 5 too much, but this just Is Not Fun.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I've had no luck at all with RE.net. Every time I sign in it makes me relink my PSN account, and I've enabled the RE.net option in game, but I don't see any data.

I'm not sure what RE Points are, or what they do, but I demand to have them!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

It's cool how there's a set order to play the campaigns in so the story flows easier yet Capcom makes no mention of it.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Beat Leon's last night, started Chris today. The more I play this game the more I realize this is a Resident Evil game in the same way that Season of the Witch was a movie in the Halloween franchise. It says it on the box to put asses in the seat, but it just ain't so.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Fraction posted:

I am so angry at this game right now.

That entire whole snow avalanche scene was just enraging, I must have died a dozen times fuckkkkking hell!

I'm legitimately considering taking this game back. I loved the hell out of ORC, and didn't mind 5 too much, but this just Is Not Fun.

The vehicle mechanics in this game are terrible but every section with them in should be doable in 1-2 turns most.

That's pretty much the easiest one in the game, too. Play Leon's campaign if you haven't already, there's no driving in that I think.

edit - Skeezy just play whatever you want in whatever order as long as you're planning on playing it all anyway it doesn't matter. What is your order because I did Leon > Chris and now on Jake and I think if I hadn't done Leon's first I would have missed out on a lot.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Thievery posted:

Skeezy just play whatever you want in whatever order as long as you're planning on playing it all anyway it doesn't matter. What is your order because I did Leon > Chris and now on Jake and I think if I hadn't done Leon's first I would have missed out on a lot.

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada

That's how I'm doing it and it at least flows enough so it makes whatever sense.

Question about Leon's campaign. Does his jacket make it out alive in this one?

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Skeezy posted:

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada

That's how I'm doing it and it at least flows enough so it makes whatever sense.

Question about Leon's campaign. Does his jacket make it out alive in this one?

Oh I blitzed each campaign as a thing. If you want to do it chronologically then yeah that sounds pretty good.

Yes, yes it does.

edit - also upset about the boulder:character ratio in this game.

Leon gets 2, Chris gets 0

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Thievery posted:

The vehicle mechanics in this game are terrible but every section with them in should be doable in 1-2 turns most.

That's pretty much the easiest one in the game, too. Play Leon's campaign if you haven't already, there's no driving in that I think.

The avalanche kept knocking me off even when I was right beside or behind my buddy and he wasn't being killed. Then I glitched into a wall a couple times, then into the floor when it was moving around.

A dozen times is probably an over-estimation but I had to restart at least 7-8.

Does this game get any better? I've heard so many Bad Things about Chris' chapters and his section in the demo sucked the most. Urgh.

e: VVV Sometimes! Sometimes I was dodging them and still dying :haw:

Fraction fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 4, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fraction posted:

The avalanche kept knocking me off even when I was right beside or behind my buddy and he wasn't being killed. Then I glitched into a wall a couple times, then into the floor when it was moving around.

Were you running into rocks? There are a few times you need to slow down a bit or you slam right into a rock, even if your pal isn't hitting it.

It's a pretty lovely segment tho', no argument.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Fraction posted:

I am on the Bike Chase scene in Jake's chapter 4 at the second, and I am finding it a little bullshit because there's lots of things you can't see until you're too close and if you hit them you die, and can't move out the way fast enough.

The only bullshit deaths i've had in this game are to things like that. So far i've seen the trains in Leon's campaign - though you're warned about them, and the ambulance in Leon's campaign that there's no warning of and if you're in the wrong place will just instant kill you. Also the stuff in the section i'm on now I guess though I should just slow down a bit maybe.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Thievery posted:

I am on the Bike Chase scene in Jake's chapter 4 at the second, and I am finding it a little bullshit because there's lots of things you can't see until you're too close and if you hit them you die, and can't move out the way fast enough.

The only bullshit deaths i've had in this game are to things like that. So far i've seen the trains in Leon's campaign - though you're warned about them, and the ambulance in Leon's campaign that there's no warning of and if you're in the wrong place will just instant kill you. Also the stuff in the section i'm on now I guess though I should just slow down a bit maybe.

Yea, the ambulance is the only "utter BS!" moment I've had so far, although there have been a few cheap deaths here and there.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Just finished Ada's campaign.

Holy mother of gently caress the people who said that the end of Chapter 4 went into super hosed up mode sure as hell weren't kidding. Really glad I didn't have it spoiled for me, I won't elaborate for those who aren't there yet but are still reading anyway because it's really the kind of thing you just have to experience completely blind :stare:

Also ending spoilers:
The cinematic after the credits in Ada's sequence makes me think the next game will be set in Persia starring Jake. At least that would be pretty cool.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I just played Jake's chapter 5 again on veteran. There's actually a lot of cool stuff you can do during the final fight, but the boss goes down too quickly on normal. How is it from Sherry's perspective? She says "I'll support you from down here", but all she does is cheer for Jake. That counts as support, I guess.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Spermando posted:

I just played Jake's chapter 5 again on veteran. There's actually a lot of cool stuff you can do during the final fight, but the boss goes down too quickly on normal. How is it from Sherry's perspective? She says "I'll support you from down here", but all she does is cheer for Jake. That counts as support, I guess.

You hit the Ustanak with shipping crates using the freight lift.

Systems_Id
Feb 16, 2005

LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK!
:lol: @ Chapter 5 of Leon's campaign.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Wanderer posted:

Weird. The AI does gently caress all to help.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Wanderer posted:

That's what I didn't like about Jake/Sherry's campaign. Sherry doesn't get enough gently caress YEAH moments. She really should've been the one driving the motorcycle during the chase sequence

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My favorite part of the Leon Campaign was the trex fight. Especially since I joked about how Dino Crisis 4 will spin out of it. It wasn't to that extent but it made me cackle like a maniac.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

I just finished all three main campaigns. I enjoyed them all, though I think Leon's was my favourite, if only because I felt like you see a whole different story than if you do Jake/Chris's ones. There were a few too many gimmick sections in Jake's (Also i found it hilarious that he's meant to be this badass guy, only, he has too many stereotypes that it's pathetic. Especially in the last cutscene. Liked the final boss a lot though!) and I liked Chris's story a lot because it was pretty loving tragic all the way through, and it was done surprisingly well.

To me it felt like the order of difficulty probably went Jake, Chris, then Leon. I didn't find any overly hard, it was usually just one section i'd fail a few times (motorbike...) due to whatever, really, but I know I ended up with far more ammo than I knew what to do with as Jake, whereas Leon was always running out. Leon's is also the longest I think, and has the most durable final bosses.

Overall really loved it. Can't wait to play it in couch co-op when my flatmate moves back up.

ps - I like the fact there's no bullshit one shot kill enemies that I found, anyway. Also I feel like I didn't have enough trouble with the enemy that splits up, you fight them near the end of each campaign as I would just grenade them to death. Save your ammo, kids!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

That's what I didn't like about Jake/Sherry's campaign. Sherry doesn't get enough gently caress YEAH moments. She really should've been the one driving the motorcycle during the chase sequence

Yeah, this bothered me too. I can't count how many times someone grabbed Sherry and pulled her out of the way of gunfire/a box/whatever, but I can't think of anything she did. It's a weird dynamic because they go out of their way to establish she has some kind of superpowers too so it isn't like it's Normal Girl/Superdude.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I actually really like Simmons' mutations. It's like John Carpenter and David Cronenberg did the designs for Michael Bay's Transformers. Wonderful stuff.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
So if somebody joins your game as a monster they get to infinitely respawn and just annoy the hell out of you? I just had 2 people join my game and just continuously bumrush me until I ran out of ammo, got bored of kicking them to death and left the game.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, this bothered me too. I can't count how many times someone grabbed Sherry and pulled her out of the way of gunfire/a box/whatever, but I can't think of anything she did. It's a weird dynamic because they go out of their way to establish she has some kind of superpowers too so it isn't like it's Normal Girl/Superdude.

Sherry gets better moments if you're playing as Sherry, but yeah, much moreso than Leon or Chris's campaigns, Jake's campaign is Jake's show.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I actually really like Simmons' mutations. It's like John Carpenter and David Cronenberg did the designs for Michael Bay's Transformers. Wonderful stuff.

They look really good, but the fight itself is a little dull. During most of it I just had Wesker flashbacks because of all the melee I was doing.

Speaking of which, loved the way that Jake's last boss mirrored the Wesker fight in the Volcano. I was half expecting them to have a reveal showing that it was actually Wesker all along, as the Ushatanak or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

BORK! BORK! posted:

So if somebody joins your game as a monster they get to infinitely respawn and just annoy the hell out of you? I just had 2 people join my game and just continuously bumrush me until I ran out of ammo, got bored of kicking them to death and left the game.

Kill yourself or make it to the next area, that throws them out.