Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh the story looks horrible but the recent combat impressions come off a lot better than the earlier ones. I know they WANT to get it right at least, they invited a lot of top DMC3 players over to test it out right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
So they said.

Who exactly they are, they haven't said.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I know they WANT to get it right at least, they invited a lot of top DMC3 players over to test it out right?

Was there a leaderboard system for DMC3 or something? Or was the Truestyle tourney that popular? (it should've been, it was awesome)

Outside of that, how exactly do you determine who's a "top" player in a singleplayer game?

vvv: That's a metric worth aspiring to for a DMC game: "Can I make Truestyle videos with this system?"

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 23, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

Was there a leaderboard system for DMC3 or something? Or was the Truestyle tourney that popular? (it should've been, it was awesome)

Outside of that, how exactly do you determine who's a "top" player in a singleplayer game?

Yeah it was the popular Truestyle guys I believe (I could be getting this wrong, if I am someone correct me).

Basically if you put out kickass combo videos/Videos of you beating bosses in record time using Royal Guard you are a top player :v:

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

So they said.

Who exactly they are, they haven't said.

Clones of Accounting Nightmare? :v:

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Level Slide posted:

Clones of Accounting Nightmare? :v:

Well, it explains where she went, and why we never got a DMC3 Vergil run. They captured her, and she got free to give us half of DMC4, before they captured her again. Those bastards.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Speaking of DMC3 Vergil, I did like that he wasn't just a reskin with Dante's same moveset. They did enough to make him feel different, I think. And he's even got a slightly different moveset when in his Nero Angelo form, too.

Slightly disappointing that the only two new scenes with him, was his intro scene, and that they just gave him the same levels as Dante, but it's a nice bonus, all the same.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Magil of Shadow posted:

Well, it explains where she went, and why we never got a DMC3 Vergil run. They captured her, and she got free to give us half of DMC4, before they captured her again. Those bastards.

She's posted in this thread, and some other ones about similar games. She's still around. Making LPs is hard work yknow.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Pesky Splinter posted:

Speaking of DMC3 Vergil, I did like that he wasn't just a reskin with Dante's same moveset. They did enough to make him feel different, I think. And he's even got a slightly different moveset when in his Nero Angelo form, too.

Slightly disappointing that the only two new scenes with him, was his intro scene, and that they just gave him the same levels as Dante, but it's a nice bonus, all the same.

The fact that he isn't a reskin is a feat of itself. Normally bonuses tend to be lazy. The only other game I can think of that does the same is Maverick Hunter x when you unlock Vile.

Vile plays nothing like X. At all.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

notZaar posted:

She's posted in this thread, and some other ones about similar games. She's still around. Making LPs is hard work yknow.

Oh, I know. Was going for a basic level joke. Kinda failed, but ah well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shindragon posted:

The fact that he isn't a reskin is a feat of itself. Normally bonuses tend to be lazy. The only other game I can think of that does the same is Maverick Hunter x when you unlock Vile.

Vile plays nothing like X. At all.

The various Castlevania games recently have given you pretty radically different "secondary" characters. The quality ranges a bit but still.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

ImpAtom posted:

The various Castlevania games recently have given you pretty radically different "secondary" characters. The quality ranges a bit but still.

Yeah, particularly the DS games have decent bonus character playthroughs. Hell, Dawn of Sorrow gives you a unique final boss (that's actually relevant to the story) and three separate characters to play as all at once, which is nice.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Considering that not much came out of the TGS, aside from Vergil's choice in hatwear, NT are going to be at the Eurogamer Expo:

quote:

Looking forward to seeing some of you at Eurogamer Expo on Sunday. We'll be talking about DmC at 4pm in our developer session.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Pesky Splinter posted:

Rebellion sword CA:

If it weren't for the fact it was in Famitsu, I'd have said it was horrible fanart.

Also, white-haired Dante?

Hey, it's the Soul Calibur! I smell Dante in Soul Calibur 6!

Also, it would be hilarious if black haired Dante were a giant fake out. Like, the game releases and it turns out that his hair is white and they've just been trolling. Konami never once let on that Snake wasn't the main character of Sons of Liberty, right?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The ERSB has released their summary for the upcoming DmC:

quote:

This is an action game in which players assume the role of Dante, a demon slayer fixated on avenging the destruction of his family. Players use melee weapons (swords, scythes) and firearms to attack demon hordes in frenetic melee-style combat. Battles are accompanied by realistic gunfire, explosions, and slow-motion effects; large blood splashes occur often as enemies are dismembered and/or killed. Cutscenes also depict intense acts of violence: a giant boss creature chopped to pieces by fan blades; a character getting shot through the stomach; Dante holding up a monster's severed head; a dramatic impaling. Some scenes also depict sexual activity: scantily clad strippers dancing/gyrating provocatively with each other; a woman moving her head toward Dante's lap (fellatio is implied). During one cutscene, moaning sounds can be heard while a female character is bent over a table—a man is positioned behind her, though there is no actual depiction of the sex act. A handful of still images (i.e., concept art) portray women with exposed breasts and/or buttocks. The phrase “crack whore” and words such as “gently caress,” “poo poo,” and “oval office” can be heard in the dialogue.

Source: http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=32522&Title=DmC%20Devil%20May%20Cry&searchkeyword=devil%20may

"DmC: Blowjobs, cunts and impalements, oh my!"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Pesky Splinter posted:

The ERSB has released their summary for the upcoming DmC:

Source: http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=32522&Title=DmC%20Devil%20May%20Cry&searchkeyword=devil%20may

I have a feeling that this game is going to be all :smug: about its incoming M rating. "You can't handle this level of edginess!"

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

I smell new thread title!~

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I'm kind of disappointed that practically everything in there is stuff we've already seen. Might be a real short game :I

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

notZaar posted:

I'm kind of disappointed that practically everything in there is stuff we've already seen. Might be a real short game :I

One of the older interviews said that it would take about 10 hours to complete, taking into account the player's skill.
How much of that is cutscenes, we don't yet know - but they'd better be skippable :mad:

10 hours is roughly about the same length as 4, at least on a normal playthrough. DMC 1 and 3 took me 15 hours because I kept dying. :saddowns:

Not counting boss stages, they've shown seven levels thus far - the fairground pier, the city streets, a subway (which has been reported, but not shown - though a bit can be seen the latest trailer), the Slurm factory, the discotheque, the Fox News Network, and the inverted city.

The earliest (and possibly first) is the fairground pier, the city streets doesn't seem too far off that, and we know that the Slurms MacKenzie boss signals the end of the first third of the game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
"These aren't your dad's video games, these are video games for MEN! Ninja Theory's about to make you their bitch. Etc."

What are the odds on us getting adverts similar to that?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

What are the odds on us getting adverts similar to that?

"Nintendoes, what Sega don't." - Wait, wrong game.

I guess if the trailers they've shown thus far are anything to go by, it'll just be that epileptic editing, disco-music, pictures of Dante scowling and swearing, while somebody narrates how grim and dark everything is, and how Dante is cool or something.

Suck it down.

Also, That limited edition thing has a suggested retail price of $120 US (¥9,490/ £75/ AU $180/ €150)

http://www.examiner.com/article/first-look-at-the-120-dmc-devil-may-cry-limited-edition-for-japan

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
The more I hear about this game, the less and less I think I'm going to even bother trying it. It just looks... bland. Everything about it seems so boring, and so far as I know the combat won't be anything amazing, even with the recent improvements. It just makes me want to hit the people responsible really because they keep screwing it up in the most obvious and worst ways possible.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
"Journalism" from the Eurogamer expo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YglBbf-PJJ4

NT dev session will begin in 3 hours and 20 mins:
It's over. The video is still watchable though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKaXiinaL-g

And here's an article which I mostly disagree with:
http://www.examiner.com/article/dmc-should-have-been-made-into-an-entirely-new-game

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 30, 2012

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Aha, that's never going to get old.

"gently caress you!"
"gently caress YOU!"
"gently caress YOU!!!"
-Ninja Theory, Master Storytellers

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It really just encapsulates everything about this game :allears:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The stream is starting now, most likely it's just another playthrough of the E3 demo.

Q&A:

-Vergil is playing "largely the same role", so I guess he is still going to be an adversary despite what the trailer shows.

-They changed the style system so you can't spam the same move without diminishing returns. No more spamming the axe slam on the worm boss for an easy S rank.

-Vergil is not playing "in the box." Gotta hold back some features for DLC (not on disc.)

-Secret missions are still in.

-There are "several options for replayability", will be unlocked after the game is beaten. I hope this means we can expect a remixed hard mode, bloody palace, all that good stuff.

-"This will not be a short game", typical PR claim.

-Difficulty "between DMC3 and DMC3:SE".

FedEx Mercury fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 30, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]:

I hope the bloody palace does make a return. It's pretty relaxing just cutting through enemies at your own lesiure.

[e2]: Beaten.
New stuff:
Not-Fox level about 1/2 through the game.
Still painfully long pausing for the ranking to go down

Q&A:
Vergil "largely playing the same role".
SSSensational.gif issue has been fixed.
Vergil "not playable in the main storyline".
Felt that the lock-on was something that was an obstacle for "non-hardcore" people, so they got rid of it.:downs:
Collectables allow the player to unlock other content.
Demon dodge is basically loving witch time, only more limited.
"Novelty modes" after completing the main story.
They dodge most of the questions.
DLC not on the disc. Nice work Capcom, you're learning moral business practises :thumbsup:
Way to dodge most of the loving questions.
Not a short game, tonnes of replayability options. Inbetween DMC3SE and 3 in terms of difficulty.
My god these loving people asking the questions.
Not as straight forward and simple as the platforming in Enslaved, but still challenging. :downs: (Though really, anything more than just "move forward, hit invisble wall, jump" - is more challenging than Enslaved's platforming).

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 30, 2012

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

notZaar posted:

-Difficulty "between DMC3 and DMC3:SE".

Well, that's a laugh.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Remember those pre-order bonuses from a while back? Well, here's the gold one, which we didn't know what the bonus was:

"Transform Dante's weapons into brutal, solid gold instruments of death! Plus access to the item finder - helping you hunt down hidden items!"

I'll pass, thanks. :geno:

To refresh your memories, the others were:

Goddamn these are bland looking

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Genetic Toaster posted:

Well, that's a laugh.

Combat depth: "Between DMC2 and Animal Crossing"

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
So Vergil is playable outside of the main campaign? Or not at all?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Pesky Splinter posted:

Plus access to the item finder - helping you hunt down hidden items!"

So it, like, beeps or something when there's orbs in something that can be smashed? Useless- if you're not smashing everything all the time you're playing the game WRONG! gently caress PARK BENCHES AND GARBAGE CANS GET THAT poo poo OUTTA MY FACE :arghfist:

Also it appears the pre-order bonuses are eliciting the same fevered reaction as the game itself!- :geno:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

JackDarko posted:

So Vergil is playable outside of the main campaign? Or not at all?

They're being rather coy on that. They keep phrasing it as "not during the main story/campaign", which makes me think they're planning it as DLC.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Also it appears the pre-order bonuses are eliciting the same fevered reaction as the game itself!- :geno:

Only one of the bonuses is worth it really, the orb harvester one. But that'd mean having to suffer looking at the blandly textured bone weapons.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Monkey Fracas posted:

So it, like, beeps or something when there's orbs in something that can be smashed? Useless- if you're not smashing everything all the time you're playing the game WRONG! gently caress PARK BENCHES AND GARBAGE CANS GET THAT poo poo OUTTA MY FACE :arghfist:

Maybe it's like that glowy arm powerup you get for Nero in DMC4.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
My god, this loving video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U93EnuEtmTg

Videogame journalism at its finest.

quote:

"[DMC] is shaping up to be one hell of a game. But what else would you expect from Ninja Theory - the star studios of British development - their involvement with non-gaming figures such as the writer, Aled Garden, and actor, Andy Serkis, should tell you something about the kind of studio they are; committed to technical innovation, artistic depth, and above all, good gaming narratives - we can't imagine a better developer to take the reins of the DMC series".

"But anyone who has any love for this series should be able to recognise that this next step is more than positive. But forget the haters, the naysayers, and the ranters; we're going to call it right now - DmC will, be one of the best games of 2013."

:smug: *SLURPSLURPSLURP* :smug:

Yeah, no objective view or anything, just cock-sucking. If you don't like this game, or have any criticisms whatsoever, then obviously you're dumb, and just don't get it. :smug:

Oh, and it shows a giant statue hand near the end crushing a load of buildings. And Vergil and Dante in an orange glowing circle thingy.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 4, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Preview of a previously unseen area:

It's apparently the haunted house on the pier level, with puppet enemies.
The next DmC stuff will be at comic con, next week.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Pesky Splinter posted:

Preview of a previously unseen area:

It's apparently the haunted house on the pier level, with puppet enemies.
The next DmC stuff will be at comic con, next week.

So is this the part where we learn about Dante's horribly abusive childhood, and we get some flashbacks to him as a kid and in the present Dante sheds a single tear then dramatically wipes it away and says "Devil's never cry"

And then we all hate Ninja Theory a little bit more.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
If flashbacks to his hilariously awful childhood are in the game, I definitely want to see this one they mentioned, from an old interview:

quote:

At one point we were asked to forget about the design of the charater and just come up with images about Dante at key moments of his life. So we've got 100 images of this character at different ages, in different situations, different emotional states.

One of the best was of him ripping open this big wound in his chest in front of a mirror, seeing this heart beating, and realising he's not human.

Because if it is, I will laugh and laugh and laugh.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pesky Splinter posted:

^^^
If flashbacks to his hilariously awful childhood are in the game, I definitely want to see this one they mentioned, from an old interview:

Because if it is, I will laugh and laugh and laugh.

When/how did Old Dante realize he wasnt completely human? I dont seem to remember.

I would imagine it to go something like:
*Thing happens, proof Dante isnt 100% human.*
Dante: "Awesome."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

When/how did Old Dante realize he wasnt completely human? I dont seem to remember.

They never touch on it really. The closest they get is when Dante gets attacked by Trish in his office, and he says something like "Even as a child I knew I had demonic blood in me".

But Dante finding it awesome would be the right attitude to have, not :qq: "Oh, I'm a half-breed - crawling in my skin - I'm from an abusive orphanage :qq:, but it's all right, I'm totally quirky and fun loving, guys, really!"

• Locked thread