Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Awful on the App Store (Free, iOS 9+)

Awful is Better Than Safari™ for browsing the forums. Go get it.

pokeyman heads up Awful and is probably responsible for the bug you came here to complain about (sorry!).

:backtowork: Help out! :backtowork:

If you'd like to beta test new versions of Awful, send pokeyman your email address (via PM, or post in this thread, or whatever) and get ready for even more bugs than usual. We have tons of slots available, so don't be shy!

We have a project.log thread for discussing ongoing development and beta-testing. If you're using a beta version of Awful, please head over there to report bugs. This thread here is for the App Store version.

Design? I sure don't! Help our trusty designers make the app great.

Write code? Hit up Awful's GitHub repository and do it. Here's the big list of bugs and features if you'd like some guidance. Get a pull request accepted (not a high bar) and the commit bit is yours.

So far we've had contributions from best bale, carry on then, Diabolik900, Drastic Actions, enigma105, Froist, hardstyle, JamesOff, Jose Valasquez, Kailtor Malcolm XML, megane, OHIO, pokeyman, Regular Nintendo, spanky the dolphin, Subjunctive, The Dave, ultramiraculous, and xzzy.

:boom: Wasn't there some other version? :boom:

Once upon a time, some dissatisfied customers took it upon themselves to take Awful and release the fixed app as a new version of mostly the same code. It was called Awful S II MAXX. It's broken as of New Forums Design 2013 and won't be fixed.

If your Awful app has a frog in its icon, you're using MAXX. Switch to Awful for less (?) breakage.

:justpost: Other platforms :justpost:

Some talented folk are hard at work making apps for other platforms:
Android
Android again
Windows 8
Windows Phone

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Awful versions

Version 3.27 is available in the App Store! It shows announcements in the Forums tab and indicates whether a post is a reply or an edit. release notes diff

Version 3.26 added some fancy theming and crashes less in [code] tags. release notes diff

Version 3.25 is available in the App Store! It unbreaks some things like bookmarks, posting using non-ASCII, and posts-by-user. release notes diff

Version 3.24 adding a setting to run off checking the pasteboard for URLs and added an alternate theme. release notes diff

Version 3.23 removed those awful uppercase letters from C-SPAM. release notes diff

Version 3.22 stopped freezing so much when rotating, and added a now-beloved "clear cache" button. release notes diff

Version 3.21 fixed some mojibake and crashes. release notes diff

Version 3.20 added a sticker pack that probably nobody uses and was absolutely not worth the effort! release notes diff

Version 3.19 fixed a crash when you brushed an embedded tweet. release notes diff

Version 3.18 automatically changes to the dark theme, stops tweets from hijacking the posts view, and fixes some thread tag issues. release notes diff

Version 3.17 claims to fix a freeze in landscape, but since I'm writing this many months later I can say that it did not in fact fix that freeze. release notes diff

Version 3.16 moved this once-great nation past hollowquoteicongate and restored filtering by thread tag. release notes diff

Version 3.15 jumped more accurately to posts and had more :niggly:. release notes and dSYM diff

Version 3.14 fixed some icky crashes introduced in the previous version and added a lil :v:. release notes and dSYM diff

Version 3.13 added keyboard shortcuts and a setting for "pull for next" in threads. release notes and dSYM diff

Version 3.12 embedded tweets, fixed Vimeo embeds, and added awfulhttps:// to the growing stable of supported URL schemes. release notes and dSYM diff

Version 3.11 stopped crashing so much on the Forums tab. release notes and dSYM diff

Version 3.10 switched to HTTPS for communicating with the Forums and might've fixed some forum list issues. release notes and dSYM diff

Version 3.9 fixed some GIF overlay issues, fixed some forum expand/collapse issues, and removed the soon-to-stop-working alternate server setting. release notes and dSYM diff

Version 3.8 stopped autoplaying some animated GIFs, added some 3D Touch bits, and fixed Handoff. release notes and dSYM diff

Version 3.7 supported iOS 9 niceties like Split View and Safari View Controller. release notes and dSYM diff

Version 3.6 fixed unwanted horizontal scrolling in threads. release notes and dSYM diff

Version 3.5 fixed some bad crashes and a goofy iOS 9 beta 4 zoomed out thing. release notes and dSYM diff

Version 3.4 fixed some crashes and looked a lot snazzier. release notes and dSYM diff

Version 3.3 got noisier when autorefreshing forums/bookmarks and when marking read to here, and improved [img] insertion. release notes and dSYM diff

Version 3.2 added "sort threads by unread" to the Forum screen and prunes your messy, filthy cache (sorry). release notes and dSYM diff

Version 3.1 added a system-wide smilie keyboard and fixed some sidebar goofiness. release notes and dSYM diff

Version 3.0 supported (and required) iOS 8, supported (but did not require) the iPhones 6, used system share sheets everywhere, showed the full titles of forums and threads and the full subject of messages, and maybe even fixed a crash or two (while surely introducing new ones). release notes and dSYM diff

Version 2.0.12 added swipe-from-the-right-edge-of-the-screen to go back into a thread, use of all the themes in all the forums, and fixed a ton of bugs. release notes and dSYM diff

Version 2.0.11 fixed some scrolling glitches and tweaked the dark theme. release notes and dSYM diff

Version 2.0.10 previews posts and added apparently important soccer balls. release notes and dSYM diff

Version 2.0.8 brought a font size setting back to the app, made Waffleimages work, and allowed viewing ignored posts. release notes and dSYM diff

Version 2.0.7 fixed crash-adjacent features like the Ignore List and the Macinyos theme. release notes and dSYM diff

Version 2.0.6 fixed parsing when there's an announcement, added a handy "close BBcode tag" key, and fixed returning to Awful only to be greeted by a blank featureless screen. release notes and dSYM diff

Version 2.0.5 brought its own BYOB theme, cleaned up action/settings/jump sheets, and fixed some crashes. release notes and dSYM diff

Version 2.0.4 fixed viewing profiles on 64-bit devices and restored the old-style iPad interface. release notes and dSYM diff

Version 2.0.3 fixed crashes in the Forums list, brought Idiot Kings in, and allowed saving to Instapaper once more. release notes and dSYM diff

Version 2.0.2 wiped up the mess from a bleeding 2.0.1 release, fixing FYAD threads and bookmarks pages beyond the first. release notes and dSYM diff

Version 2.0.1 staunched the bleeding from a rushed 2.0 release, fixing many theme issues and a couple crashing bugs. release notes diff

Version 2.0 looked more like iOS 7 and did other stuff good too. release notes diff

Version 1.11.9 fixed the thread list scrolling back to top after opening a thread. release notes diff

Version 1.11.8 added rap sheets and thread list filtering, and fixed showing images from Minus. release notes diff

Version 1.11.7 fixed the display of posts with HTML entities lacking a semicolon, and fixed filtering posts by one user. release notes diff

Version 1.11.6 fixed the ellipsis button's hair trigger and lets videos open in Safari as needed. release notes diff

Version 1.11.5 attempts to fix some web view crashes and tweaks a couple UI things (excessive post rate decimal points, silly thread action order). release notes diff

Version 1.11.4 posts threads and de-finicks the show-sidebar gesture on iPad. release notes diff

Version 1.11.3 Saves to Pocket, Sends to Instapaper, and opens threads on iOS 5. (Yes, 1.11.2 angrily disabled that "important" feature.) release notes diff

Version 1.11.2 declutters action sheets with some lovely icons, fixes PM order and composition, and stops covering things up with the tab bar. release notes diff

Version 1.11.1 could show a single user's posts in a thread, and fixed favorites and many crashes. release notes diff

Version 1.11 contributed private messages and a ridiculous number of fixes. release notes diff

Version 1.10.2 brought the Leper's Colony, fixed some issues with embedded videos, and fixed multiple image uploads in the same post. release notes diff

Version 1.10.1 fixed bookmark disappearance and reordering issues, as well as crashes when viewing ignored users' posts or opening the Paranormal/Conspiracy Forum. release notes diff

Version 1.10 did profiles, re-adds a built-in browser, adds more forum-specific themes, and fixes a ton of stuff. release notes diff

Version 1.9.2 fixed some problems from the new Forums design. release notes diff

Version 1.9.1 included an app-wide dark mode, some offline reading support, colorful bookmarks, and a URL scheme. release notes diff

Version 1.8.1 included some excellent interface work from The Dave and diabolik900. release notes diff

Version 1.7 included iPhone 5 support and was the first version at Awful's new home: pokeyman's App Store account. release notes

The next post in this thread is a lie

Though it wasn't when it was written!

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 20, 2017

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
A note SII maxx supports iPhone 5 res, Awful doesn't at this time.

theultimo fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 4, 2012

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
This may have already been discussed in the other thread, but will either of these apps support PMs?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have no right giving this answer, but poo poo I'm gonna just do it man.

Awful S II MAXX isn't getting additional features. The app was born out of YOSPOS wanting something that they thought could very easily be added (iPad support that was already there but not live), while OHIO was working on an all new build and wouldn't get to it in a timely matter.

The Awful S II MAXX is a lot like the original, it exists because it's a quick fix to fit the iPhone 5 resolution. (AFAIK) no one from YOSPOS is going to start developing it as a new app with its own features.

Now in regards to Awful. I don't think there's any major forum feature that anyone working on the app is like "We don't need that." It's just that with this type of project, which is really a hobby app, there's no time frames or project plan for anything like that. It's just going to take time and someone's dedication.

Specifically in terms of PMs, I believe hardstyle has something worked up for them that will be worked into the app down the road. Time frame? No idea. Not like super far in the future, but don't hold your breath.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I haven't been keeping up. Did OHIO die?

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

Xenomorph posted:

I haven't been keeping up. Did OHIO die?

Nah, he just got to busy with other stuff to oversee development.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

The Dave posted:

Now in regards to Awful. I don't think there's any major forum feature that anyone working on the app is like "We don't need that." It's just that with this type of project, which is really a hobby app, there's no time frames or project plan for anything like that. It's just going to take time and someone's dedication.

Specifically in terms of PMs, I believe hardstyle has something worked up for them that will be worked into the app down the road. Time frame? No idea. Not like super far in the future, but don't hold your breath.

No worries, I know it isn't anyone's full-time job. I am glad to have what is there.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Trip report: the first version on my App Store account is in for review, and the final update to OHIO's version (telling everyone to get the "new" app) is also in review. As soon as they're both ready for sale we'll hit the switch.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Was the bug where the app sometimes didn't scroll to the end of the thread when you made a post ever fixed?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Probably not :( I'm going through the old thread and writing down every bug report and feature request, and then I'll start fixing them.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Awful S II Maxx also exists because the rewrite of the main app caused more problems than it solved. Maxx is based on the old version which was more stable.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
So since the guy who was going to put crap like the frogout refresh animation in didn't end up taking over, did the stuff he was doing get culled too? It looked like a mixed bag, but PM support would rule.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

pokeyman posted:

Trip report: the first version on my App Store account is in for review, and the final update to OHIO's version (telling everyone to get the "new" app) is also in review. As soon as they're both ready for sale we'll hit the switch.
Wait, there's going to be an entirely new app? I thought you were going to keep updating the current one ('Awful')? Just tell me that whatever new hotness is coming doesn't have any retarded goddamn frogs on it.

I would also humbly suggest putting some kind of 'report a bug' feature in the app itself so you (or whoever) can easily keep track of issues.

mewse
May 2, 2006

TACD posted:

Wait, there's going to be an entirely new app? I thought you were going to keep updating the current one ('Awful')? Just tell me that whatever new hotness is coming doesn't have any retarded goddamn frogs on it.

Apps on the app store are tied to developer accounts so since OHIO isn't updating the app anymore it has to get off the regular berry thing

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Basically Apple doesn't have any way to officially transfer your app to another developer so when the new guy takes over he has to submit it as a brand new app through his account.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Awful S II Maxx was made to fit the needs of iPad users since at the time nothing fit their needs. Now it is to fit the needs of iPhone 5 users.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Endless Mike posted:

Awful S II Maxx was made to fit the needs of iPad users since at the time nothing fit their needs. Now it is to fit the needs of iPhone 5 users.

What features does Awful S II Maxx have on the iPad that Awful doesn't?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Uploading pictures would be loving incredible. From both camera and website. I'd donate for some guy who knows how to code to implement that.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

qbert posted:

What features does Awful S II Maxx have on the iPad that Awful doesn't?
Originally there was no ipad support in awful, at least not enabled. Since Ohio wouldn't get off his rear end someone in yospos downloaded his files from git and made an ipad version. Then I think Ohio got butthurt and locked his files.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Originally there was no ipad support in awful, at least not enabled. Since Ohio wouldn't get off his rear end someone in yospos downloaded his files from git and made an ipad version. Then I think Ohio got butthurt and locked his files.

Yeah, what a dick, what with his app he made for free with his free time. Sure was unrightfully butthurt.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

IUG posted:

Yeah, what a dick, what with his app he made for free with his free time. Sure was unrightfully butthurt.

Seems to me that OHIO got mad and locked his git files after a kind soul implemented a feature that he didn't have the time for/didn't want to bother with.

Truly, that kind soul supported his community by improving on a free app without asking for a dime in return.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Actually didn't the iPad features exist in the code but weren't enabled? Then the YOSPOS guy just got it running?

OHIO didn't want to use it because at the time he was recoding the app from the ground up and that included iPad support, and didn't want to work with the old codebase at all.

He got made because it all sort of happened without getting asked for about it beforehand, however he did have the code on github with an open license.

Whatevs, let's just make this poo poo good looking and bug free.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

IUG posted:

You shouldn't put an app up with an open license and people use the license and work on the product.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Shut the gently caress up about free software drama.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

TACD posted:

New app, same code. As mentioned, you can't move an app from one account to another. OHIO wanted the app off of his account, so this is what we have to do.

No frogs either.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

Awful S II Maxx also exists because the rewrite of the main app caused more problems than it solved. Maxx is based on the old version which was more stable.

And I want to fix that so Awful is as stable as Awful S II MAXX, hence the thread title.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!
As the guy who got the iPad stuff somewhat working, here's the real story (as remembered by me, so "real" may be fluid). OHIO started updating his code to work on the iPad. Xcode has a fun feature where you can have an iPhone only app work fine in the iPad simulator, but crash on an actual iPad if there's an iPad specific startup defined in a config file. So he couldn't reproduce the crash everyone is seeing. Go Apple.

After buying an iPad, I figured out the bug and started work on an iPad version by updating some of OHIO's code. Then I have a baby and stop any fixes to my code (hence the weird bugs in that build). Around here the first release of Maxx shows up and there's a stupid fake holy war in the thread. I also remember what a buggy pile of crap it was when I stopped.

A little later OHIO locks his repo because he started checking in updates that are in the current release. This is because he doesn't want someone compiling his half-working code and freaking out when it doesn't work. I asked if he wanted me to lock my fork and he said he didn't care, so I left mine public. Under his locked repo, OHIO and the rest of the developers work on a new version, reworking several components. That's why we have core data, templates, fancy icons, jump to page, storyboards, and so on. I add iPad support again, this time learning from my mistakes in the previous build. This is where Awful is reborn in the last thread. Once again I stop, this tine because I have to focus on my thesis.

Eventually OHIO pulls a Gandalf and sales for the grey havens and hands off the project to someone else. They post a new thread to clear up stuff and we lose all this history and the actions of a year ago fade into myth and legend.

Also there's something about a frog covered version, but I'm pretty sure that was just shared hallucinations.

enigma105 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 5, 2012

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

pokeyman posted:

New app, same code. As mentioned, you can't move an app from one account to another. OHIO wanted the app off of his account, so this is what we have to do.

No frogs either.
Hey, you're alright pokeyman :cool:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I assume you can't have two apps with the exact same name, so what will the new version be called? Awful Too?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

jojoinnit posted:

I assume you can't have two apps with the exact same name, so what will the new version be called? Awful Too?
Maybe Awfuler, though I'd prefer Wawful. Current name's ok too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Call it "Something" so I can have the old sitting on the right of the new one and make a great joke.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

In truly terrible news, it seems like iGoon is no longer in the App Store. :(

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You can put emoji in an app title right? I thought it would make sense just to name it "Awful" then some bullshit character. Just so people discovered it in the app store (then again maybe that's a bad idea?).

The Dave fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 5, 2012

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Awf3l

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Diabolik900 posted:

In truly terrible news, it seems like iGoon is no longer in the App Store. :(
Makes sense. Its developer is no longer available in the forums.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

jojoinnit posted:

Naturally, you can have any number of apps with the exact same name!

The new one's called Awful.

(In case anyone's curious, an app's "name" can mean many things. Its "display name" is what appears under the icon on your home screen, and it can be the same as any other app. Its "store name" is what appears in the App Store, and that has to be unique among all apps in the store. Its "bundle identifier", which is a hidden name you'll never see unless you look inside the .app folder, must be unique among all apps in the store and among all apps you have on your device. Any and all of these names can be different from one another.)

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I'm super late to the party, but please indulge a simple(dumb) question: Can we expect to see pinch gestures (zoom) in one of these apps anytime in the foreseeable future?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Not sure about a pinch to zoom, but increasing font size is definitely on my list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
That would be a great feature. My eyesight isn't getting any better...

• Locked thread