Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Whats the best tactic for taking a Canister armed cannon located on a hill with a 360 degree view? I would try to blow it up but I have no cannons. Charging is also out of the question because I have no horses. Is my best course of action just to charge line-infantry at it,because It broke 2 lines and 1 nearby irregular with one shot each.

Sometimes the AI surprises me, like when an ottoman general led me to believe I won the battle after I killed his throwaway units. He runs away so I send units to go shoot him. I had plug bayonets at the time so imagine my surprise when I received a volley from some trees to the right of where he was parked. Next time I will pay attention to the unit cards.

I was halfway to Destroying the ottoman empire (with the help of Venice) When those drat Lithuanians attacked me out of no where...and left their capital city undefended. Sometimes the AI surprises me for different reasons.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Man Whore posted:

Whats the best tactic for taking a Canister armed cannon located on a hill with a 360 degree view? I would try to blow it up but I have no cannons. Charging is also out of the question because I have no horses. Is my best course of action just to charge line-infantry at it,because It broke 2 lines and 1 nearby irregular with one shot each.

If you have two regiments of line, split them up. That cannon can only face and fire in one direction.

Have your man in the loosest formation or in skirmish mode if they can too.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Have your man in the loosest formation or in skirmish mode if they can too.

Is there any disadvantage, combat-wise, to this besides cavalry plowing through?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Tres Burritos posted:

Is there any disadvantage, combat-wise, to this besides cavalry plowing through?

I expect the concentrated spread of musket fire is much looser, in attacking another line your exchanging fire power for range technically.

Charging in loose or skirmish formation with two line infantry units in different directions is the most basic form to take out stationary artillery.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Space Wizard posted:

Oh yeah, and the new Empire splash logo with Imperial march menu music. Just in-case you've forgotten what mod you're playing.

Just think, with the retirement of Darth Vader the modder, we won't ever have access to such brilliance in the new total war games.

Truly a shameful display.

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012

Asmodai_00 posted:

Truly a shamefur dispray.

:colbert:

If he just did away with trying to jam Star Wars down our throats at every turn, his mods would actually be pretty respectable. He does compile a lot of other peoples' work into his, but the final product does turn out pretty good. My main issue with Darth is that every time he feels slighted in whatever possible way he just runs away to cry in his corner.

It's a shtick that gets old really fast and certainly does the guy no favors at all. No wonder CA didn't invite the guy to their modding summit, let alone -hire- the fucker.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Space Wizard posted:

:colbert:

If he just did away with trying to jam Star Wars down our throats at every turn, his mods would actually be pretty respectable. He does compile a lot of other peoples' work into his, but the final product does turn out pretty good. My main issue with Darth is that every time he feels slighted in whatever possible way he just runs away to cry in his corner.

It's a shtick that gets old really fast and certainly does the guy no favors at all. No wonder CA didn't invite the guy to their modding summit, let alone -hire- the fucker.

Wasn't Darth explicitly the subject of a CA blog in which they talked about hiring techniques and how at then end of the day just as much as being good a the job it's necessary to be the kind of person who's actually likeable and easy to work with.

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012
That certainly sounds familiar. Darth also got called out by CA when he claimed to improve the battle and campaign AI for DM:E 8.0. Apparently all the AI programming is part of an uneditable .exe file that nobody is supposed to have had access to.

Edited to include quotes:

CraigTW

- "We're not commenting on individuals who were or were not invited to the summit, we're simply focused on making the day as good and worthwhile as we can."

- "We haven't said improving the AI behaviour isn't possible in mods. All we've said is some mods claim to do things that are impossible.

But that's a side point. We're really just interested in throwing the best summit we can and ramping our support for modding up a notch."

Jack Lusted

- "As developers we know what is and isn't possible within what modders can access. It's not a case of some modders doing surprising things, which modders always do, it is modders claiming things that are not possible without rewriting the game exe itself."

Space Wizard fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 1, 2012

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
What do I do in campaigns where I'm basically now the most powerful faction and have pretty much won because of this even if it'll take another 200 turns to do it in. I play on hard but after the innitial struggle it just seems like once you've gotten established you're just playing out the motions.

In m2tw stainless steel I'm the kingdom of Leon. I have all of Spain, half of france, half of north Africa, Ireland and visby for some reason. It doesn't sound like much but I also have nearly half a million florins with not much to spend it on by the year 1240 or so. I don't really feel like anything can challenge me now, it would just take forever to actually 'win'.

Does anyone else feel like this?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
That's basically the point when you start a new campaign. The end game of Total War games are pretty dull but the new games have been trying to fix that. Shogun 2 has realm divide and Fall of the Samurai has the two faction split.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

concerned mom posted:

What do I do in campaigns where I'm basically now the most powerful faction and have pretty much won because of this even if it'll take another 200 turns to do it in. I play on hard but after the innitial struggle it just seems like once you've gotten established you're just playing out the motions.

In m2tw stainless steel I'm the kingdom of Leon. I have all of Spain, half of france, half of north Africa, Ireland and visby for some reason. It doesn't sound like much but I also have nearly half a million florins with not much to spend it on by the year 1240 or so. I don't really feel like anything can challenge me now, it would just take forever to actually 'win'.

Does anyone else feel like this?

I always thought the game needed to be better about banding against you. Either by having countries that hate you being more likely to ally together, or AI nations having a better chance of turning into a sprawling empire. The only game that really has the latter is if the Mughal or Maratha manage to dominate India in Empire, since they have so many resources that they can just chuck full stacks at you all day.

Shogun 2 mitigates it, but I think it goes too far in the other direction. Vassals and allies you share borders with turn into time bombs, and warlords that have been fighting each other since turn 1 immediately forget they ever hated each other to turn on you. I would have liked if political finagling was still an option after realm divide, other than max-gift your ally every few turns to keep them on-board as long as possible.

I haven't played the Shogun expansions, so they might be better, but I don't think the series has quite hit the balance between "nobody can touch you" and feeling like a real powerhouse.

Also: Shogun 2 question that I can't seem to find an answer for. When you're starting a new campaign, it says you need to take X realms and Kyoto by the time limit. The in-game screen where you can check your progress to victory says you have to take Kyoto by the time limit but doesn't say anything about a time limit for total territories. Which one of these is correct? I've never had a problem finishing in time, but I'd certainly love to be able to dick around if I could.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 2, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

You know, I'd enjoy and play more of Shogun 2/FOTS if it stopped crashing during the middle of battles and took more than ten minutes to boot up again.

Somebody mod in a old fashioned pre-Shogun 2 main menu already, because CA sure as hell isn't going to let us turn off their new one.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
I bought Empire in the recent sale, but I'm having trouble getting through the Road to Independence campaign because the enemy treats all the battles as if they were just walks across the countryside, rather than actually, you know, attacking. Sometimes they walk across in front of my, sometimes they just run past me. Is the AI always this broken or is it just the newbie campaign?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Teddles posted:

I bought Empire in the recent sale, but I'm having trouble getting through the Road to Independence campaign because the enemy treats all the battles as if they were just walks across the countryside, rather than actually, you know, attacking. Sometimes they walk across in front of my, sometimes they just run past me. Is the AI always this broken or is it just the newbie campaign?

I don't think they have ever bothered reworking the scripted AI of that mini campaign.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge

SeanBeansShako posted:

ten minutes to boot up

This makes me hate Shogun 2 so much. I love the game, but when my rig can't even load it up faster than anyone else is what aggravates me. Is it really that hard to make it so it loads resources faster? The other Total Wars do not have this problem.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

primelaw posted:

This makes me hate Shogun 2 so much. I love the game, but when my rig can't even load it up faster than anyone else is what aggravates me. Is it really that hard to make it so it loads resources faster? The other Total Wars do not have this problem.

It really is the goddamn 3D animation of the menu. Like the name change of Total War: <thing> it is one of the several utterly bloody pointless features added with the newer games.

I guess somebody in CA or SEGA Marketeering made a dumb suggestion on something he saw with a console games menu and hung around the development team until it was done.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Space Wizard posted:

My main issue with Darth is that every time he feels slighted in whatever possible way he just runs away to cry in his corner.

That's almost every modder ever, especially on TW Center.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

SeanBeansShako posted:

It really is the goddamn 3D animation of the menu. Like the name change of Total War: <thing> it is one of the several utterly bloody pointless features added with the newer games.

I guess somebody in CA or SEGA Marketeering made a dumb suggestion on something he saw with a console games menu and hung around the development team until it was done.
Does turning down DirectX not make it go faster?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

Does turning down DirectX not make it go faster?

Nope. Still got to wait ten minutes. For some insane reason after the recent update it reset all my settings to ultra too!

A modder who reverts the menu into something more old school would be a goddamn hero.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

That's almost every modder ever, especiallyone on TW Center.

Content: I really do wish they would give you the option of choosing the original S2 or RotS menu background instead of the Fall one. I know the Fall one is prettier and more dynamic and such but it just takes so much longer to load it. Also, I miss the castle with the snowman!

Seriously though, just let me set how detailed I want my menu to be.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Hey Fall of the Samurai players who play MP! Do all three of you want to learn how to win literally every large-sized matchmade battle? Read on!

At the ripe rank of 8.5 gold stars (almost 9) I have literally lost only three land battles since picking up the game again, at least in FOTS, from 10 silver stars. One was me trying to get used to the controls again after a few months of not playing, the other was me encountering an intelligent player who took a roughly mirror copy of my own army, and the last was me being an idiot with my general yet still running it down to his last two really depleted line infantry.

Those who recall my playstyle know I favor the Bushido tree (and I do have a video of it on YouTube) but I have tweaked it to be more line infantry effective. Read on to see the easy mode setup I've used to great effect!

At 8.5 gold stars my general costs 1510 koku and has the following skills:
- Enable Gun (self defense)
- Charge (Bushido opener)
- Speed (Necessary for skills)
- 1 Melee Attack (for Second Wind)
- 2 Melee Defense (for Second Wind and Armor)
- Second Wind
- 2 Armor (for Last Man Standing at level 9)
- 2 Double Time Cavalry and 2 Double Time Infantry (for faster cavalry and swords, but also...)
- Cavalry Capture and Co-operative Capture (the secret weapon of Bushido)
- Bushido Morale and Bushido Charge (not as good as Improved Army Morale but both make cavalry and swords even better)

The army so far is as follows...
- 3 Black Bear Infantry
- 2 White Bear Infantry
- 3 Shogitai
- 4 Yari Ki (veterans with 2 attack upgrades each)
- 1 Shogunate Guard Cavalry
- 1 Kisho Ninja (used to gain veteran XP, will have to go at 10)
The total cost comes to 13960, leaving 40 koku left over.

Retainers are...
- Blade Master (+2 attack to my three Shogitai and ninjas makes them beasts)
- Practice Grounds (+2 attack to all melee cavalry: this means five horses with 18 attack each)
- Yamabushi Guide (less fatigue and faster move speed is good!)
- Flogging Officer (essential -1 morale to lines to crumble them faster)

The only enemy retainer that bothers me is Flogging Officer on my own lines. I laugh when I see Shinobi Informer (waste of a retainer IMO since you'll see the enemy army in a moment anyway). Livestock Pestilence isn't so bad when my cavalry is literally as strong as a Katana Kachi, and Bushido Charge nullifies the -5 charge penalty from Bandit Horse Thieves.

So how do I set up? Well, I form my main attack force three lines deep: line infantry (the bears) in front as wide as possible, with Shogitai in the second line also stretched as wide as possible, and my general bringing up the rear. That's group 1. Group 2 is my force of five cavalry set up without the locked control group in order to keep them fluid. The ninjas are set up in some woods halfway on the map for a quick stealth charge and get their XP early. They are literally tossed away because the main body of my army is enough.

I position my uber cavalry as close to the dojos I want and set them galloping there immediately at the battle's start. My foot soldiers follow in formation, usually just going straight. The beauty here is that my cavalry is not only able to fast-cap a coveted building, they are also numerous and powerful enough to curb stomp any cavalry that tries to interfere. Most people don't bother engaging, leaving me to cap freely, sometimes even a dojo perfectly halfway on the map. They tend to cap before the enemy lines get a bead on them, and then they fall back to prepare an assault or go cap another dojo.

At this point, the armies are near combat. If the enemy has no 150 range lines, I sit back and let my cavalry set the rules of engagement, often picking a fight with enemy cavalry if any exist. If my foe DOES have 150 ranged units, I say gently caress it and send my lines in to take as many shots as they can, absorbing the dreadful volleys. My Shogitai are ordered to attack lines immediately ahead of them, and a quick general rally puts them at about 14 morale apiece, making them brave under fire indeed. I redirect fire either to non-Shogitai'd lines, or if the combat looks to be in my favor, blast the melee'd enemies anyway.

My cavalry should have completely destroyed the enemy's own by now, unless the enemy had no cavalry, in which case charge the gently caress on in and disable the lines so my own can shoot! The combat is solved swiftly at this point unless the enemy micros his lines and runs them away from my Shogitai (doomed to fail as I have lots of firepower still).

At the end of it all my lines are relatively unscathed, my Shogis have lost about half their men or more, and my cavalry varies from "doing fine" to "all gone". Most kills go to the swords and cavalry with maybe 1/3 of the kills being lines. So what makes this build work?

Well, the dramatic cavalry superiority, combined with a high-morale, high-attack melee infantry makes this a hybrid rush-shoot build that really emphasizes mobility. The cavalry's power lies in battlefield and dojo control early, and the buffed swords running to close the gap act as a great meat shield for my average but numerous riflemen. If swords clash, my 21 attack Shogitai win. The cavalry I possess, covered by the Shogunate Guard Cavalry's aura bonus, keeps the Yari Ki going and really causes morale penalties to enemies that get charged, pinned in close combat, and ultimately shot by my rifles.

The weaknesses of this build lie on terrain and enemies with a lot of elite infantry and powerful cavalry to severely weaken my own: Shogitai can be kited by a two-point Quick March unit (Command tree), and that can be a problem if the enemy gets a chance to spare an extra line to shoot at them from the side. Keep your army tight to avoid losing a precious unit on a wild chase. Gun cavalry can also be a problem for the melee cavalry, so care to keep them safe is needed if the enemy has Imperial Guard or Carbine Cavalry. Paradoxically I don't mind the deadlier Revolver Cavalry as much because my line infantry can act as a powerful dissuader if a retreat is in order.

Replay videos will be put up later to show how I've been working on this army lately. When I was level 7 I was XP-leveling Sabre Cavalry, and they made a decent if flawed addition to the cavalry rush strategy.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 4, 2012

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Asmodai_00 posted:

Just think, with the retirement of Darth Vader the modder, we won't ever have access to such brilliance in the new total war games.

Truly a shameful display.

A TWC poster weighs in on the topic of Darth not being invited to the modder summit.

quote:

It's like not allowing a mother to go to her son's funeral. Exactly what CA did.

lmao

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

People on the TWC forums are truly....special.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Some new Rome II screenshots. I know they're pretty much mockups, but I do like how they modelled all the oars on the triremes. :allears: The military harbour looks nice too.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Some new Rome II screenshots. I know they're pretty much mockups, but I do like how they modelled all the oars on the triremes. :allears: The military harbour looks nice too.

They really look great but I'm kinda worried that we'll have to spend 20 minutes for the map to load, it looks huge and very nice but I don't want to buy a SSD just to be able to play it.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Oh my goodness... that's a little too pretty. I don't think I'll be able to run it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Welp, looks like I'm going to need a new PC in 2013.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm assuming these screenshots are all best-case scenario. Optimal conditions, the best rig they can put together. I would be very surprised if there's not a wealth of graphics options that'll let this game run on older hardware.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I think Total War, more than any other game, lets you get away with extreme lodding as well. It looks amazing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Elephants picking up people seems a little much unless that is how they attack. Maybe they will get rid of Bink.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Shogun 2 was awesome. I have about 1500 mp games played between it and FOTS. Rome 2 looks even better, mainly because no guns.

edit: just checked and my record is 1328 wins 770 loses :stare:

Joink fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 5, 2012

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Yeah, playing a ton of Shogun 2 MP games is easy to do because of how quickly it matches you and gets you into games. It was my go-to "15 minutes to kill" game for a long time. Was astonished to see a Total War game with a good multiplayer interface.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I've been waaaay too busy to juggle this group and another, so who wants to be my successor in organising Goon Total War antics?

zimm
Apr 7, 2012
So given the new mod utilities released, what do you guys think the chances are that CA eventually releases mod tools for Rome 2?

I personally am cautiously optimistic that CA will eventually release them.
(Hoping for another mod like Europa Barbarorum, even if takes years)

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Medieval 2 for Steam is a huge piece of poo poo. The launcher they added doesn't even work without community fixes. :cripes:

Speaking of pieces of poo poo, are there any stand-alone texture packs for the game? I can't find any on TW Center.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I started Medieval 2, and I'm pretty sure it's my favorite. One thing though. WHAT THE gently caress POPE?! I can never attack more then 1-2 cities before I have to stop and declare a ceasefire, but then France attacks me, I counter by moving a giant loving block into Paris, and the Pope tells ME to stop all hostilies or be excommunicated? gently caress you very much.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I started Medieval 2, and I'm pretty sure it's my favorite. One thing though. WHAT THE gently caress POPE?! I can never attack more then 1-2 cities before I have to stop and declare a ceasefire, but then France attacks me, I counter by moving a giant loving block into Paris, and the Pope tells ME to stop all hostilies or be excommunicated? gently caress you very much.

Park a diplomat next to Rome and give the Pope 500-1000 florins every turn. Your papal regard will remain the tops and threats to excommunicate will never be carried out. Also, every time someone else attacks you, their regard will fall a bit. Eventually, they will be excommunicated and you can annihilate.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

physeter posted:

Park a diplomat next to Rome and give the Pope 500-1000 florins every turn. Your papal regard will remain the tops and threats to excommunicate will never be carried out. Also, every time someone else attacks you, their regard will fall a bit. Eventually, they will be excommunicated and you can annihilate.

The Pope does love him some petty bribery.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

physeter posted:

This is how wusses do it. Real men park an army next to Rome and give the Pope a swift beating every turn. And then deal with every Catholic nation declaring war on you. Not the smartest move, but it is the most fun :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Medieval 1 with the XL mod was the best Total War. Nothing better than forging your Armenian Empire over the corpses of the Seljuks, Fatimids, and Byzantines, fending off the Mongols, and then having your royal family collapse into an endless series of infertile chinless wonders and then surprise game over your king died without an heir, start a new one!

Seriously tho, MTW1 with the XL mod or RTR were probably my favorites. But did anyone ever understand the crazy ways that one heir took control over another in MTW1? And why did a bunch of your king's sons suddenly become invalid inheritors after another became king? I had at least three long-running games prematurely end due to my royal family dying out after some random prince took the throne and decided not to have kids.

I really liked how civil wars were a real threat to the player in MTW1. That should be something they look into for endgame in RTW2 (it sounds like they had it in Shogun - haven't played a new TW game since MTW2). MTW2 with the Stainless Steel mod is fun, but it still suffers from the flaws base MTW2 did. Also what the hell is up with every TWC user wanting to track their individual generals' baggage trains and other random nonsense in a game engine that is terribly unsuited for it?

What's everyone's opinion on the Risk-style game board map of MTW1 and STW1 vs the campaign maps of RTW1 onwards? At first I was really into it, but once you start getting mods that extend the campaign map and fighting over large territories, having your generals take two wasted years to get from Rome to Constantinople really sucks. The problem I usually run into in my replays of MTW2 with SS is that my generals age too quickly for me to actually accomplish anything with them, and that unless someone's a born commander they'll never get above five stars. I feel like in MTW1 and RTW1 I was really able to develop my generals into powerful players, in MTW1 because movement was really simplified and in RTW1 (or maybe RTR, can't discern one from the other now) the two turns per year allowed more development as well.