Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wooph
Oct 28, 2010

by angerbot
Full combo in the Catacombs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUt77Hbx0KA

It's really worth it to learn how to counter. Save ammo, look badass(except when you get hit, then you look kind of stupid for just standing there).

As far as I can tell, just about any enemy melee attack can be countered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Bah, the combat is the easy part. The stuff I have trouble with is losing that combo counter in that weird spot where nothing spawns for like 10-15 seconds, or dying to bloodshots when I forget to heal between failed counters. Thank you so much for putting these videos out, and in HD no less, they're immensely helpful for that beginning time extension run.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Coming into the Chris portion after Leon is just plain unfun. I've gotten so many bullshit gameovers. In the apartment building where time slows down and you have to shoot the guy holding a hostage? That's really hard to do when time slows down while you're reloading. The air duct between the snake fights? I had zero bullets when I got there so I couldn't stop the snake. Numerous deaths for apparently being just a little too slow when escaping from the B.O.W at the end.Fun fun!

Edit: Not to mention how I've been struggling for health and bullets the entire time. As Leon I was swimming in both but not anymore.

Len fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 5, 2012

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is it possible to miss weapons? In Chris chapter 2 there's a part where the game cuts me out, when your team has to blow up that train car or whatever. I know there was an emblem there, but I didn't get a chance too really look around or procure anything because the game locked me out and autosaved. I'm worried I missed a sniper rifle or something. Right now I'm at chapter 3 at that awful turret and vehicle sequence and the weapons I have are the pistol, assault riffle, grenade launcher, and shotgun and some grenades. Please tell me I didn't miss anything.

And I got a question regarding character intersections. When I played as Leon and ran into Chris in that laser hallway I went in room 00, got out last, found already opened item boxes and had to take the stairs. I was assuming if I was playing as Chris at that point I'd go to room 01 and take the elevator and be able to get the items. But I just went the same exact way as I did in the Leon campaign? Could somebody explain this? I was offline by the way.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
If you miss a weapon, it will be automatically added to your inventory at the end of the chapter. Sometimes they appear in more than one place in the same chapter if you miss them.
Regarding the second part, I played Leon first, missed the elevator and went through room 00 both times, but only got prizes as Chris. I also play offline.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Hm. So far I'm having way more fun in Leon's campaign (chapter one, admittedly) than I was in Jake's. Probably because there's no stupid snow/fog/avalanche chase

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Fraction posted:

Hm. So far I'm having way more fun in Leon's campaign (chapter one, admittedly) than I was in Jake's. Probably because there's no stupid snow/fog/avalanche chase

Raccoon city2.0 is so much fun. REALLY looking forward to playing through that section again

VV It's not actually Raccoon city but I really, really loved that section. Leon's campaign is awesome VVV

RembrandtQEinstein fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 5, 2012

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Is that Leon's chapter two? First chapter has had me re-considering whether or not to take the game back, it was long (why are the chapters so long? it's weird) but a blast, so if Leon's continues like that I'll be very happy :)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Fraction posted:

Is that Leon's chapter two? First chapter has had me re-considering whether or not to take the game back, it was long (why are the chapters so long? it's weird) but a blast, so if Leon's continues like that I'll be very happy :)

Leon's Campaign is pretty great, and you can tell which games they take inspiration from

Chapter 1 -> RE2
Chapter 2 -> RE4
Chapter 3 -> Revelations/RE4
Chapter 4 -> None
Chapter 5 -> RE2

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Leon's Campaign is pretty great, and you can tell which games they take inspiration from

Chapter 1 -> RE2
Chapter 2 -> RE4
Chapter 3 -> Revelations/RE4
Chapter 4 -> None
Chapter 5 -> RE2

Chapter 4 is Resident Evil Gaiden.

its not

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is there a way to stand up faster? It seems like most of the time I get downed and then by the time I stand up whatever hit dropped me is ready to go away. Sniper shots, spitting lizard spit, etc.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

Len posted:

Is there a way to stand up faster? It seems like most of the time I get downed and then by the time I stand up whatever hit dropped me is ready to go away. Sniper shots, spitting lizard spit, etc.

If you hold X/A while falling you can roll back into standing position.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Is there a guide on what the ??? skills are? I'm wondering if I should be saving up skill points for some of those or not. Going off of some of the videos here, I should definitely save up for limit break :stare:

Also, is it normal to want to punch Helena? Her whole "I can't explain it to you, I have to show you :downs:" schtick is really pissing me off.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Bovineicide posted:

Is there a guide on what the ??? skills are? I'm wondering if I should be saving up skill points for some of those or not. Going off of some of the videos here, I should definitely save up for limit break :stare:

Also, is it normal to want to punch Helena? Her whole "I can't explain it to you, I have to show you :downs:" schtick is really pissing me off.

They are infinite ammo for each type of weapon (handgun, rifle etc.) and power increases for each type of weapon. None of them are very expensive; the power increases hover around 40,000, the infinite ammo ones between around 70-99,000)

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

How is that not very expensive? After doing all three main campaigns I probably got around 200K at most.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
Just wanted to share random nonobvious facts:
-getting in cover/lying down regenerates stamina faster
-wiggle both sticks to finish QTEs faster
-take pills near your partner to heal them as well
-meleeing while your character is facing towards the camera sets up an enemy for your character's coup de grace attack, for the male characters, it's a backwards elbow

Btw, does anyone know how to do chain attack combos while playing co-op?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Trico posted:

-wiggle both sticks to finish QTEs faster

Really? I think this is gonna be a gamechanger for Leon's campaign :stare:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Thievery posted:

How is that not very expensive? After doing all three main campaigns I probably got around 200K at most.

What this guy said.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

If I drop a weapon to make room in my inventory, is it gone forever, or will it reappear in my inventory once I reach the next chapter?

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Thievery posted:

An S rank in Mercenaries is around 15-25,000 skill points.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thievery posted:

Mercenaries absolutely craps out Skill Points.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Mercenaries absolutely craps out Skill Points.

I'm still trying to get the hang of this ones mercs mode. I dominated RE5 reasonably well but this is a whole different ball game for me. Maybe it's cause I haven't played 5 in years, though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bovineicide posted:

I was very nearly screaming, "Bitch, I will SHOOT YOU IN THE FOOT if you don't explain things NOW" at the screen. It is rare for me to be that frustrated.

I only just got this game in the mail, been playing through Leon's campaign first. It's been a blast so far; just finished the second chapter. Walking through the lab with all the chrysalis-ed former scientists was genuinely creepy.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

It's rare that I'll play through the campaign in a game twice - could I play Mercs a bunch to rack up skill points to make myself overpowered for the campaign? If this is the case then I will most certainly do that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Midniter posted:

It's rare that I'll play through the campaign in a game twice - could I play Mercs a bunch to rack up skill points to make myself overpowered for the campaign? If this is the case then I will most certainly do that.

Yes, although certain skills are not unlocked until you've done everything. You can certainly play Mercs to get a huge boost though.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I haven't gotten the game yet, but I was wondering how exactly has the upgrading changed in 6? I know that you no longer upgrade weapons with money, you get skill points I think?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I haven't gotten the game yet, but I was wondering how exactly has the upgrading changed in 6? I know that you no longer upgrade weapons with money, you get skill points I think?

You get skill points and purchase upgrades that go into three slots, you can only equip three skills at a time. However, if you beat one character's campaign, you unlock the ability to have multiple different skillsets you can switch between on the fly from the menu in the middle of a mission.

You don't upgrade weapons because you get skills that boost your general damage output with all weapons; things like that. There is sadly no "Whatta ya buying?" guy. You also have to go at least all the way through the first chapter of someone's campaign (and some chapters get really long, it took me two hours to get through Leon's Chapter 1)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

If you played Mercenaries 3DS it's pretty much identical to that, but instead of grinding you have cash to spend. You've got a few equippable skills and can put them on your character to modify your abilities.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I like how they made the zombies tougher in Leon's campaign to make up for the fact they're not (usually) armed or particularly smart. Getting hit by one lunge is pretty much a guaranteed 1.5 squares of damage.
The death animation where their heads just sorta slough off is kinda silly, though.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Firearms 3, Critical Hit 3, and then [Monster Type] Hunter 2 combined make the campaign a cakewalk. It's kind of absurd how fast things die, even in veteran and professional. Every headshot is a ridiculous explosion, and it's soooo satisfying.

Melee 3 + Combat Gauge Booster 2 + whatever Hunter is so good for playing as Jake, too. The dude pretty much becomes Wesker for reals when you're just flying around punching everyone to death with like 10 bars of stamina.

edit: Also getting good at mercs makes the regular campaign super easy too so there's that.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 5, 2012

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

One of my few Game Overs was actually a pretty cool thing. It was a unique death animation of an axe-holding zombie repeatedly axing Leon in the face. Left, right, left, right. Ow.

Reminds me of the first time Leon had his head chainsawed off when I first played RE4.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Speedball posted:

There is sadly no "Whatta ya buying?" guy.

No, but Leon blurts out "Welcome back, stranger" at one point.
And speaking of callbacks, after Sherry jumps down the chute in her intro cutscene, Jake says "Lost something?". This is a reference to the part where Sherry loses her medallion in RE2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There are some really nasty death animations. I saw a partner get killed by a zombie in Mercenaries and it mimicked the infamous scene from the start of RE1, including disgusting shots of the zombie pulled flesh off and eating it and then turning its head.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

One of the most disgusting death cinematics I've seen was in this game. If you get killed by something in the fourth chapter of Leon's campaign that involves a fan, let it kill you once for some freaky rear end poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I the second disc just multiplayer? I rented RE6 and it says disc one on it.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
It's just localization stuff. You don't need it unless you want dialogue in German/Spanish/etc.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

NESguerilla posted:

I the second disc just multiplayer? I rented RE6 and it says disc one on it.

I think disk 2 is language installs or something.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

WASDF posted:

One of the most disgusting death cinematics I've seen was in this game. If you get killed by something in the fourth chapter of Leon's campaign that involves a fan, let it kill you once for some freaky rear end poo poo.

I shook him off but missed the super fast command and got shoved right back into the Fan, was shaking the stick expecting to have a round two but nope!

It freaked me out at first but then I imagined a warp pipe sound and suddenly it got hilarious. That and I realized Helena is just standing there watching it all. "I couuuld help buuut."

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Best death animation in the game IMO. In any game.

It's just the way it KEEPS GOING.

I just found one that was pretty neat. In the 4th campaign, I was in Chapter 3 fighting the boss when I got hit off...I think it might have been a bus? Regardless it's against the Chainsaw BOW, and I expected it to be a scene of Ada getting cut up, but instead it just slams you far off the bus and you get attacked by a swarm of zombies while you're laying helpless on the ground, all in first person, and Ada's just screaming.

It was pretty horrific actually :|

edit - Also I think one of my favourite enemies is Raskapalange or whatever that guys called. I loving hate fighting him because he's boring and it's just "spam grenade" over and over, but the sounds he makes are hilarious.

Thievery fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I'm getting loving sick of having my partner die during games of mercenaries online. I'm not even that good at it, but I can at least stay the gently caress alive. I've wasted so much time on futile attempts because of these idiots.
[/nerdrage]

I know I'll never get 150 playing solo, but on my first game of mercs, me and the dude I was playing with got 145 so it can't be that hard playing as a duo.