Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Super Aggro Crag posted:

http://www.insideline.com/ford/focus/2013/2013-ford-focus-st-track-test.html

Weird, apparently the new ST did a 0-60 (sec): 6.6 (7.2 w/ TC on) and 1/4-Mile (sec @ mph): 15.0 @ 93.3 (15.1 @92.5 w/ TC on). Seems kind of slow, huh?

Road & Track did better in the new issue: 0-60 in 5.9 s and 14.6@95.2 in the 1/4 mile. The story indicates that's with stability control on.

I'll get mine someday. :smith:

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

NOTinuyasha posted:

Allow me to kill it for you: zero to sixty in eleven seconds. Slower then a Prius.

At one point do modern cars fall into dangerously slow? 14?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

So apparently the IS-F is most certainly not the cushy mushy Japanese Buick some people seem to think it is. From the Car and Driver review:

quote:

But its ride and handling simply didn’t deliver. It would hobbyhorse down uneven pavement and batter occupants in a straight line but roll excessively in corners. For 2011, Lexus addressed these concerns in a big way, changing or retuning every major suspension component. ... The ride is still rough but far more livable...

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Xguard86 posted:

At one point do modern cars fall into dangerously slow? 14?
What's the Fortwo run?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

What's the Fortwo run?

12.8 seconds to 60

edit: It would be quicker to haul the smart car up a 7% grade in the back of a base model V6 f-150 than it would be to run the quarter mile with it on flat ground.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 5, 2012

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Powershift posted:

12.8 seconds to 60

edit: It would be quicker to haul the smart car up a 7% grade in the back of a base model V6 f-150 than it would be to run the quarter mile with it on flat ground.

Did Smart think about things like highway/interstate merging when they came up with the Fortwo? Because I travel on I-10 almost daily and if you can't merge in just a second or two, you're more than likely to be in a wreck.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Devyl posted:

Did Smart think about things like highway/interstate merging when they came up with the Fortwo? Because I travel on I-10 almost daily and if you can't merge in just a second or two, you're more than likely to be in a wreck.

Probably not. It was designed for European roads, and is only sold in north America as a fashion accessory.

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Road & Track did better in the new issue: 0-60 in 5.9 s and 14.6@95.2 in the 1/4 mile. The story indicates that's with stability control on.

I'll get mine someday. :smith:

I cancelled mine and bought a 3-er instead.

Ford keeps sending me stuff though:
  • Focus ST diecast model
  • "ST" shirt (size XL)
  • "ST" keychain
  • Massive Focus ST poster: "It shreds corners too"

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Powershift posted:

12.8 seconds to 60
That's about the same as the loving 68hp Fiat 500 I had for a rental once in Italy. To say it's dangerously slow is an understatement. Suice on the highways, and utterly incapable of maintaining speed up even shallow grades, even with the engine revving in the peak of the powerband.

I think it's safe to say that any car posting respectable 1/4 mile times as their 0-60 time is dangerous.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

discstickers posted:

I cancelled mine and bought a 3-er instead.

Ford keeps sending me stuff though:
  • Focus ST diecast model
  • "ST" shirt (size XL)
  • "ST" keychain
  • Massive Focus ST poster: "It shreds corners too"
I haven't gotten any of this since my dealer didn't register me in the early buyer program. :mad:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

NOTinuyasha posted:

Has anyone calling Lexus 'the next Buick' seen Acura's lineup lately? Downmarket, rebadged FWD poo poo from end to end. The ILX has a Civic powertrain and cloth seats.

The successor to the Integra/RSX has a Civic powertrain? And cloth seats?

Will wonders never cease!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

grover posted:

That's about the same as the loving 68hp Fiat 500 I had for a rental once in Italy. To say it's dangerously slow is an understatement. Suice on the highways, and utterly incapable of maintaining speed up even shallow grades, even with the engine revving in the peak of the powerband.

I think it's safe to say that any car posting respectable 1/4 mile times as their 0-60 time is dangerous.

I haven't driven a car that anemic since I had a 1994 Cavalier with the biggest pause between the 2-3 shift that I have ever seen in my life but I never had an issue merging onto I-75 in Michigan where the majority of drivers are doing 10 over the posted 75mph speed limit.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Faerunner posted:

The successor to the Integra/RSX has a Civic powertrain? And cloth seats?

Will wonders never cease!

The Integra and RSX were never offered with base-Civic SOHC engines. The Integra had engines that were not available at all in the Civic. The RSX base engine was only available in the Civic Si of the time.

Acura has been offering a straight-up Civic rebadge in Canda for a long time though, first the 1.7EL and then the CSX.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

PBCrunch posted:

The Integra and RSX were never offered with base-Civic SOHC engines.

Good news, neither is the ILX.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
CRZ Mugen RZ :barf:

Only 30 more hp than the regular one. Thankfully I'll never see one on the road since they're only doing 300 of them in Japan.

Also is that the normal shark fin radio antenna on the top or some sort of tumor? Looks weird at this angle.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It would actually look pretty good without that huge gently caress off wing.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

At the very least, minus the wing, it's better looking than any other CR-Z I've ever seen. But you know lipstick, pig, etc.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Damnit Nissan - Why do you think only emerging countrys want to buy super cheap fun-to-drive modes of transport?

I WANT A BRAND NEW DATSUN.

random blog posted:

Boy did Nissan put the cross-hairs directly on their collective heads after their Datsun announcement. If you missed it Nissan is relaunching the Datsun brand to build Über cheap vehicles. How cheap? Some say as low as $3,000 – but that’s iffy at best. Others hint that a (still amazingly cheap) price-tag that’s about half of the Nissan Versa is what we should expect.

http://www.tflcar.com/2012/10/what-to-expect-from-nissans-datsun-revival/

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

tobu posted:

Damnit Nissan - Why do you think only emerging countrys want to buy super cheap fun-to-drive modes of transport?

I WANT A BRAND NEW DATSUN.

http://www.tflcar.com/2012/10/what-to-expect-from-nissans-datsun-revival/

I wonder if they still have any of the manufacturing equipment from eons past that they could leverage for this. VW managed to keep the original Type II in production well into the nineties by shipping the manufacturing equipment to emerging markets and selling the cars there.

I too would love to pick up an new 510.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Q_res posted:

Good news, neither is the ILX.

Yeah, it has the R20 as opposed to the Civic's R18. That said, the 6MT model has the same power train as the Civic Si but doesn't get the Si's limited slip, which seems rather odd to me.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

PBCrunch posted:

The Integra and RSX were never offered with base-Civic SOHC engines. The Integra had engines that were not available at all in the Civic. The RSX base engine was only available in the Civic Si of the time.

Acura has been offering a straight-up Civic rebadge in Canda for a long time though, first the 1.7EL and then the CSX.

The market positioning was always strange for those cars in North America.

The Acura Integra was just a rebadge of the Honda Integra which was never supposed to be an upmarket car at all, you could get it with the SOHC D-series in is home market.

Likewise the TSX is just an Accord elsewhere, a Mazda 6 or similar competitor nothing more

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Nails concept is awesome and I would buy it in a heartbeat.

quote:

Nissan Nails Concept: Now THIS is a cool concept. So many of us have been jonesing for the tiny pickup trucks of yore. This could be a full-on winner. Built a few years back purely as a concept, the Nissan Nails Concept truck has a removable rear section that was held in place with buttons and hooks – like a nylon tent. The cargo bed is bed big enough for a pair of mountain bikes or a large drum kit. The floor is flat and low throughout the whole truck. Easily damaged sections of the Nails Concept are covered in a bed-liner-like material to remain unscathed and durable.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
It does look like a lot of fun plus if the tray comes off you can put your track wheels in the back and then strip it into go-kart form and go racing.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wanna see that with a light machine gun on a swivel bolted to the bed

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

MrChips posted:

I dunno, I think BMW's new three cylinder sounds pretty good; it sounds a bit like an old air-cooled 911 to me.
Sounds like a 5-cylinder to me.

http://youtu.be/PIlkNXq8pu0

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

hedge posted:

Sounds like a 5-cylinder to me.

http://youtu.be/PIlkNXq8pu0

To me, it sounds like a V6. Which makes sense.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

oRenj9 posted:

I wonder if they still have any of the manufacturing equipment from eons past that they could leverage for this. VW managed to keep the original Type II in production well into the nineties by shipping the manufacturing equipment to emerging markets and selling the cars there.

I too would love to pick up an new 510.

Nissan is still making the B13 Sentra as the Tsuru in Mexico. Wanna build a rust-free SE-R? Start there. I'd be surprised if they didn't make the 510 in the Mexican market for decades.

Despite the fact that new Mexican cars just became recently available for legal import into Canada, I haven't heard of anyone doing it yet. I could go for a Chevy Tornado.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I have a major hard-on for the new Regal GS as a potential daily driver. Is this a bad thing?

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

VERTiG0 posted:

I have a major hard-on for the new Regal GS as a potential daily driver. Is this a bad thing?

Hope you like torque steer.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

discstickers posted:

Hope you like torque steer.

From Motor Trend:

quote:

Despite the GS sending all of its 270 hp to the front wheels, the aforementioned HiPer strut system apparently does its job well and dials out any excessive torque steer. Launching the car with traction control off gets you plenty of wheel spin, but with our optional 255/35 P-Zeros, the GS eventually finds its footing, and the turbo blasts you through first gear in a hurry.

Link

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

VERTiG0 posted:

The platform and engine are both good, but a v6 camry is grounded to the ground.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

VERTiG0 posted:

The GS seems like a cool car that's way too expensive.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

leica posted:

The Nails concept is awesome and I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I want that.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Elephanthead posted:

The platform and engine are both good, but a v6 camry is grounded to the ground.

Haha that god drat commercial.
If you go with the Camry your also going to score things guys like, like the rims and the sleekness to the body.

I really like the way the GS looks. I might have to try one out via testdrive to see if I agree with that Motortrend article

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Q_res posted:

The GS seems like a cool car that's way too expensive.

It's priced around what a moderately equipped 3 series or Audi A4(IIRC) would be and I would take the GS over either of those. The Regal is a much better looking car than either of them and I'm not hung up about the FWD.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Well I wouldn't be buying it new, but 2012s with only a few thousand kilometres on them are in the low $30k range now, which is quite attractive.

Also I think I'm missing something with the Camry references; is that from a commercial or something?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Throatwarbler posted:

It's priced around what a moderately equipped 3 series or Audi A4(IIRC) would be and I would take the GS over either of those. The Regal is a much better looking car than either of them and I'm not hung up about the FWD.

Yeah it's right on par for similar equipment. I like the GS but I don't think that I would prefer it over the 3er.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I'd take a new 3-series over the GS as well, but to get it optioned out to where I'd want takes the car well north of 50 large.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Yeah, the 3er is a way better car than the Regal could ever be - especially considering I'd personally take a Sport Line or M-Sport 328 with the MT and very few options, the price point isn't all that different between them.

Beyond that, how's the Regal going to do in North America with the ATS just now going on sale? It seems like both cars are aimed at almost exactly the same customer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
What is pricing going to be like on the ATS? Not just MSRP but like real world prices compared to the Buick.