Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

pud posted:

Not meaning to sound like an rear end, but you do know you can't use herbs directly from the inventory, right? Once you've combined a couple just click the combined herb icon again and it'll add the appropriate amount of health tablets to your R2 stash.
Yes, I had 16 in my tablet at the time.

That still doesn't take away from the point that if there is so much as ONE MORE ITEM TYPE, there wouldn't even be enough space in the inventory to fit two herbs to combine. Unless I want to do without certain item types completely.

Case in point, when I eventually find the Magnum in the next chapter? If I pick up magnum Ammo I'll only have one inventory slot not taken up by ammo, two kinds of grenades, my first aid spray.

One slot of each ammo type (One full slot of Assault rifle ammo is only 60 bullets too), one slot of each grenade type, plus one slot of health sprays? Sorry son, you can't combine herbs anymore with just one slot left.

I haven't even gotten to the characters who have the same amount of weapons, that have multiple ammo types. Yeah, I've been through the joys of even more limited inventory space for your grenade launcher antics in RE Two and such, but still.

EDIT: Oh god, somebody told me there are two types of AR ammo for two kinds of AR Leon gets: So, entire inventory filled with one type of ammo each plus health sprays and... zero space otherwise. Maybe I should just drop all AR ammo and pretend they don't exist?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pud
Jul 9, 2001

Section Z posted:

Gotcha. I held onto herb combos like a dumbass for the first couple chapters thinking it was like all the other games where herb mixes are your main healing, and that the health tab thing was just for emergency healing. Jake's chapter has similar problems, the game gives you flash grenades by the truckload and they'll likely take up an otherwise useful inventory slot til you waste some.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Section Z posted:

That still doesn't take away from the point that if there is so much as ONE MORE ITEM TYPE, there wouldn't even be enough space in the inventory to fit two herbs to combine. Unless I want to do without certain item types completely.

Case in point, when I eventually find the Magnum in the next chapter? If I pick up magnum Ammo I'll only have one inventory slot not taken up by ammo, two kinds of grenades, my first aid spray.

One slot of each ammo type (One full slot of Assault rifle ammo is only 60 bullets too), one slot of each grenade type, plus one slot of health sprays? Sorry son, you can't combine herbs anymore with just one slot left.

I haven't even gotten to the characters who have the same amount of weapons, that have multiple ammo types. Yeah, I've been through the joys of even more limited inventory space for your grenade launcher antics in RE Two and such, but still.

EDIT: Oh god, somebody told me there are two types of AR ammo for two kinds of AR Leon gets: So, entire inventory filled with one type of ammo each plus health sprays and... zero space otherwise. Maybe I should just drop all AR ammo and pretend they don't exist?

There's no way you could fit everything you have here in your case in an earlier RE game. Take the blessing you have and enjoy it!

Just beat Jake's campaign. Final stop: Chris.

Reaaaaally not looking forward to playing through some of the sections on Jake's on professional (i've been playing on veteran). Anybody who has beaten it should know the spots I'm thinking of.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

pud posted:

Gotcha. I held onto herb combos like a dumbass for the first couple chapters thinking it was like all the other games where herb mixes are your main healing, and that the health tab thing was just for emergency healing. Jake's chapter has similar problems, the game gives you flash grenades by the truckload and they'll likely take up an otherwise useful inventory slot til you waste some.
Yeah, my entire crying manchild problem, is there won't even be SPACE to combine herbs unless I decide "You know what? gently caress this gun forever" and just not bother carrying ammo for a weapon or two so I can actually have at least two spare slots of inventory.

Countless goons who have already beaten the game dealt with it, so I guess I'll just have to myself. Still annoying though, that's not so much "Inventory management" as it is, something I cant really find a good term for.

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

There's no way you could fit everything you have here in your case in an earlier RE game. Take the blessing you have and enjoy it!
Earlier RE games, your inventory was enough to deal with the situation at hand in combat, AND carry stacks of puzzle items. With the switch to shooter mans gameplay, especially after Part 4, it just feels poorly thought out instead of "Count your blessings and count your ammo".

RE 4 Inventory, I miss you. Where I COULD fit everything I have in my case in pleasant surplus amounts (after some upgrades).

RE 6 gives you more guns, and less space to keep everything else.

EDIT: vvv I'll grant it's more space to work with than RE5, at least.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 6, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Section Z posted:

RE 6 gives you more guns, and less space to keep everything else.

Your guns don't take up any space at all and you have a dedicated slot for herbs now. This is actually significantly more space than RE5 gave you.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I realize recurring bosses are a hallmark of Resident Evil, but there are points (the escape pod scene in Chris's campaign, Ustanak during the elevator, every single appearance of Chainsaw Man) where I was more annoyed than fearful. With that said, they sure build Ustanaks to last. :stare:

Anyway, I'm enjoying the game. I don't know if I'd say it's a good game - there are some great moments, but a whole lot of clunkiness, poorly-explained mechanics, and baffling game design - but I'm having a lot of fun with it, which is good enough for me. Plus I gotta hand it to the RE series; one thing I think they consistently do very well is body horror, like you'd see in The Thing or similar movies. The stuff with the cocoons feels inspired, and I loved the design of the infectious monster in the cathedral.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Mercenaries is a good amount of fun, but I do wish they had made all of the maps available at the start and not just spread them out as pre-order bonuses. I hate that poo poo. Urban Terror is a lot of fun but I hate any time a game makes me go into catacombs or mines.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Just reading up on the files you get by shooting the blue symbols...this stuff really should of been in the game itself as files rather than a side extra. It explains much more about the stuff in the game and makes the story much more palatable.

For starters, Derrick is part of a group called 'The Family' that are pretty much the Illuminati. He was also the main instigator of the missile attack on Racoon. The undersea facility you go to near the end was built to extract magma to see if they could find bacteria and microbes that could live in such a harsh place. It also actually gives us some information about Helena and why she's so protective of Deborah.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Section Z posted:

Also this. Oh good, I just blew off the top half of that Zombie's skull after seven consecutive headshots, time to reloa*gets a face full of acid from a zombie with only half a head* MOTHER FUCKER.

Yeah it's just... dumb. The head is such a tiny loving target and to nail it on an erratic critter with these kinda loose controls should be rewarded.

And hey, zombies getting shot in the loving dome tend to make them stop doing everything. Usually.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah it's just... dumb. The head is such a tiny loving target and to nail it on an erratic critter with these kinda loose controls should be rewarded.

And hey, zombies getting shot in the loving dome tend to make them stop doing everything. Usually.

Two shots instead of one. Two shots with all weapons causes stun or death on zombies. One shot for pistols/assault rifles with firearm upgrades, or in Mercs. It's really weird that's it's two in the campaign. Also, if you see them stumble at all from the shots, run up to them because the stun animation isn't really easy to see.

edit: This is key in Mercs if you don't want to be a liability. Knowing how to turn mercs into RE4/5: Evolution is really amazing, and makes you feel like a goddamn king when teaming up with crappy folks who barely can survive (or not survive at all). Doubly so when you randomly end up with someone else who is competent.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 6, 2012

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Capn Beeb posted:

My approach in the campaign before I maxed out Firearms and Precise Shot was to aim at center of mass and let muzzle climb pull it up into headshot territory.

When it went right, I got a satisfying blam blam blam blam HEAD EXPLOSION. When it went wrong, the body shots dropped it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

After playing through Chris's campaign again with a buddy, I have come to the conclusion that every gunfight should be punctuated with a nice lie-down.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fereydun posted:

Two shots instead of one. Two shots with all weapons causes stun or death on zombies. One shot for pistols/assault rifles with firearm upgrades, or in Mercs. It's really weird that's it's two in the campaign. Also, if you see them stumble at all from the shots, run up to them because the stun animation isn't really easy to see.

edit: This is key in Mercs if you don't want to be a liability. Knowing how to turn mercs into RE4/5: Evolution is really amazing, and makes you feel like a goddamn king when teaming up with crappy folks who barely can survive (or not survive at all). Doubly so when you randomly end up with someone else who is competent.
I'll grant you that a couple headshots does get you a stun, (though the spitters seem to love spitting a second later anyways half the time) when they aren't clustered a double pop followed by a running melee on Item Zombies for the action kill has been working out. But I'm just playing on normal and a double tap to the head with a goddamned SHOTGUN to a labcoat zombie has failed to kill them on multiple occasions.

Sure, I don't have one of the firepower upgrade skills, but two loving shotgun blasts to the head of a generic zombie should kill them, not leave them still standing and mildly dazed.

EDIT: Of course, I have also been brought to near death when a freshly decapitated zombie... Grabbed me and started biting me with their nonexistent head... Maybe this game just hates me.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Section Z posted:

EDIT: Of course, I have also been brought to near death when a freshly decapitated zombie... Grabbed me and started biting me with their nonexistent head... Maybe this game just hates me.

This funny little glitch has been around since RE4. Headless Ganado would occasionally still grab Leon and body-slam him into the dirt, then immediately collapse into goo beside him. I even ran into it a few times in RE5. It's the damnedest thing, but every time it kills me, I can't even be mad because it's so silly.

The really odd thing about zombie resilience in this game, is that they are total punks in Mercenaries Mode for some reason. On Normal difficulty campaigns, it can take 6~10 body shots from a pistol to take one down, but maybe 4~6 in Mercs. I think they still take at least two headshots in Mercs, but the time bonuses from melee attacks a counters are so great I really only use my guns to set up haymakers :v:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I pretty much exclusively use melee attacks, especially in Leon's campaign as Helena. By the end of the first chapter I had so much ammo left. Helena's pistol just seems way underpowered against anything, though I basically disintegrate normal zombies with the hydra or shotgun.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

So apparently you can't even use alternate costumes outside of Mercenaries? I swear this game actively punishes you for wanting to co-op and does nothing to entice you to do it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I haven't sat down and done any math on the subject or anything, but I got the idea that in Mercenaries, you have a ton of the passive skills from the story mode invisibly equipped. I'd noticed using Sherry's alternate loadout that her shotgun vaporizes everything in front of it, but you don't get that kind of power in story mode without some kind of ultra-specific offensive skill combination. Your crosshair is also a lot less finicky in Mercs.

OxMan posted:

So apparently you can't even use alternate costumes outside of Mercenaries? I swear this game actively punishes you for wanting to co-op and does nothing to entice you to do it.

Aside from co-op being fun.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

I just finished Leon's campaign and went through the first chapter on Chris' side of things. Game's been a shitload of fun, even if I can't say I'm a fan of the setpiece-centered gameplay.

I hear Chris' campaign is supposed to be a boring 3rd person cover shooter kinda deal, but it really doesn't seem like it, not yet at least. You COULD play it like a cover shooter I suppose but personally, I can't help just rushing into enemies, bouncing from cover to cover until I get close enough to slash a guy with the knife and unleash a whirlwind of punches and slashes on the group of enemies :black101:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I do miss weapon upgrades, skills are okay I guess, but I miss the good old weapon progression.

edit; what's really bullshit are the connection problems, fix that poo poo capcom

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 6, 2012

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm fine with escape scenes but why did they decide the camera needs to face away from the direction I run so often?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Ugh, I thought after clearing a campaign I'd be able to equip 8 skills at once, not 8 sets of 3. What are the best 3 in peoples' opinion?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Little Mac posted:

Ugh, I thought after clearing a campaign I'd be able to equip 8 skills at once, not 8 sets of 3. What are the best 3 in peoples' opinion?

Firearms/Melee, Defense and (x) Killer work well in my opinion.

Len posted:

I'm fine with escape scenes but why did they decide the camera needs to face away from the direction I run so often?

To give you a clear view of the thing you're running from since most of them also involve dodging some kind of attack.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ImpAtom posted:

To give you a clear view of the thing you're running from since most of them also involve dodging some kind of attack.

And most of the time running involves not hitting some arbitrary barrier that can slow you down and kill you like this small outcropping in Ada chapter 4. They also LOVE to spring surprise jumps and crouches on you which are kind of hard to see when you can't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Len posted:

And most of the time running involves not hitting some arbitrary barrier that can slow you down and kill you like this small outcropping in Ada chapter 4. They also LOVE to spring surprise jumps and crouches on you which are kind of hard to see when you can't.

I didn't say it was perfect. v:shobon:v

I'm just glad it wasn't a drat QTE like the boulders in RE4.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Little Mac posted:

If you're awful like me or not playing co-op, Field Medic is invaluable.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I'm not sure why, but when I got to Chris's campaign, I decided to go against my habits from the other two and play through it as Piers. It ended up working out really well for two reasons: one, Piers is kind of a nonentity character-wise, so the story was sort of "the adventures of noted boulder-puncher Chris Redfield, co-starring you, the player". Two, he has the bitchingest sniper rifle ever. It's got a thermal scope and does crazy damage, to the point that with j'avo hunter on I was taking down those huge brute things that come out of the cocoons in three shots. It was really useful for taking down the (very common) sequences where there's like ten snipers just hanging around while you fight guys in the foreground.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Solomonic posted:

I'm not sure why, but when I got to Chris's campaign, I decided to go against my habits from the other two and play through it as Piers. It ended up working out really well for two reasons: one, Piers is kind of a nonentity character-wise, so the story was sort of "the adventures of noted boulder-puncher Chris Redfield, co-starring you, the player". Two, he has the bitchingest sniper rifle ever. It's got a thermal scope and does crazy damage, to the point that with j'avo hunter on I was taking down those huge brute things that come out of the cocoons in three shots. It was really useful for taking down the (very common) sequences where there's like ten snipers just hanging around while you fight guys in the foreground.

Piers' sniper rifle is actually an anti-materiel rifle - those are typically used against vehicles and tanks rather than people.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I missed like 2 weapons in Jake's campaign but had no issue in either of the others. I don't remember seeing them anywhere - I did see the Bear Commander on a wall but it was behind a fence and I couldn't get to it.

Since you get them at the end of the level anyway it's not that big an issue, but yeah. Can you destroy weapons in your inventory to give you more ammo for other types or something like that?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Solomonic posted:

I'm not sure why, but when I got to Chris's campaign, I decided to go against my habits from the other two and play through it as Piers. It ended up working out really well for two reasons: one, Piers is kind of a nonentity character-wise, so the story was sort of "the adventures of noted boulder-puncher Chris Redfield, co-starring you, the player".

I've been playing as whichever character has the least personality throughout most of the game for the same reason.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Someone on youtube cut their RE6 disc in half after bitching how terrible the game was for $70 after not even finishing the tutorial. Edgy. :allears:

I've only finished Jake's campaign but the driving sections are about as fun as pounding nails into your cock. Died 7 times during one section for no noticable reason. :psyduck:

And for people having ammo problems, I highly recommend item finder and the relevant Zombie/J'avo killer skills, between the damage bonus and extra drops, it tends to even out. Leon's campaign feels like the only one you need to really give a crap about accuracy on because you're popping zombies in the head.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Solomonic posted:

It's great to be the guy who gets to see how much of a pissed off dude Chris is nowadays.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Man Chris' chapter one was so much more fun than Jake's chapter one and two. I think it's because Jake's is just QTE: the game.

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

Got operation racoon city on steam sale, and I have to say, it's not THAT bad. Far from great, but I think I prefer it to RE6 if only because its feels like 1 type of game not 5 and the cutscenes aren't as intruding.

Thought I'd try for s/s+ ranks now but apparently I have to get every singe item in each stage for that, at least when I'm playing solo. Does anybody know of any maps that show where they are?

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Not only is Leon's chapter 4 almost entirely bullshit filler, but you can't switch characters mid campaign without losing all your weapons. I took a look in the credits, and there's about 10 people listed as "Designers." Holy gently caress, were there too many cooks in the kitchen on this game. At any rate, they got a good laugh out of me with the room filled with roombas. This game has serious ADD.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Anyone have any tips for how to rack up points in mercenaries? I want to rack up skill points for infinite ammo but I'm absolutely terrible :negative:

I'm absolutely shocked that Capcom didn't actually revive Wesker, not even a flashback or anything :smith:

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

charismaslover posted:

Anyone have any tips for how to rack up points in mercenaries? I want to rack up skill points for infinite ammo but I'm absolutely terrible :negative:

I'm absolutely shocked that Capcom didn't actually revive Wesker, not even a flashback or anything :smith:

Have you completed campaign 4?

I really thought it was gonna be wesker coming out of the cocoon and was so upset it wasn't.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...

Thievery posted:

Have you completed campaign 4?

I really thought it was gonna be wesker coming out of the cocoon and was so upset it wasn't.

Yeah I've completed all of the campaigns, I was hoping it was him wearing the hood at the end helping the boy against the monsters. The set up was there but then the hood came off and it was Jake and disappointment ensued.

Disorientated
Sep 1, 2006
Anyone up for some co-op? GT is Disoriented80, happy to jump into someone's game wherever.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

charismaslover posted:

Yeah I've completed all of the campaigns, I was hoping it was him wearing the hood at the end helping the boy against the monsters. The set up was there but then the hood came off and it was Jake and disappointment ensued.

It was obvious it was going to be who it was but I was hoping too. Would have been such a good reveal - you're expecting it to come from the Cocoon, as it's all about cloning and so on, and I think it's pretty obviously a mans arms that come out. Then Ada goes gun crazy on the room, and it's all a bit disappointing.

Then there's a second mysterious guy wandering around a town about to fight some BOW's solo...shoulda been Wesker. If the Ada clone was crazy and wanted to kill all humans, the Wesker clone should have been good and helped the kid. loving hell that's deep. Chris and Wesker fighting along side eachother in RE7!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis
I'm sure this has been asked, but I checked the last few pages and didn't see it: how do I use grenades and first aid sprays? The tutorial showed how to do the herb pills, but there have been a few times I would have loved to lob a grenade into a crowd and couldn't figure out how to do it.