Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Krad posted:

I got the best pubbie-buddy when I played it for the first time. Stuck together from begnning to the end. Wish I could find someone to play with now, I want to complete those multiplayer challenges but it's completely empty every time I try. :smith:
I was just thinking about this. My playstation is broke right now, but I would totally play once it's fixed this week. PSN ID: silver_surfer_01

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Discount Viscount posted:

Bionic Commando 3D wasn't GOTY or anything but goddamn was it well-paced. Lots of moments where you just swing around and take in the scenery, punctuated by some functional combat. It wasn't nearly as far-removed from classic 2D action platformers as it seemed on the surface.

I absolutely loved this game; I'm always amazed to see how hated it is. The momentum of the swinging mechanic was perfect, there were a ton of combat options, and on later difficulty levels it can be really challenging.

Given my love of Mirror's Edge and Klonoa 2...I think I just love games where the player does a lot of falling.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I recently got a PS3 so it's time I start my collection but I'm looking at strictly downloadable games for now(cheaper, convenient). So, what are some good downloadable horror games?

Edit - Also, what are some good local DOWNLOADABLE co-op games? So far I'll be getting Tokyo Jungle & Spleunker. I've already played Castle Crashers so that's out.

Dr. Video Games 0089 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 4, 2012

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

I recently got a PS3 so it's time I start my collection but I'm looking at strictly downloadable games for now(cheaper, convenient). So, what are some good downloadable horror games?

Dead Space Extraction is pretty great. Also Limbo.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

axleblaze posted:

Dead Space Extraction is pretty great. Also Limbo.

I can't believe you forgot Siren: Blood Curse :argh:! Also I'd recommend Bioshock if you're one of the few people who haven't played it.

Nice 4 player couch games would be the Scott Pilgrim Game, Dungeon Hunter and Little Big Planet 2.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

axleblaze posted:

Dead Space Extraction is pretty great.

If you like that (Best played with a Move, as it's a lightgun game, effectively), there's also the Resident Evil Chronicles pack, which isn't quite as polished, but huuuuuuuuuge. Like, the two biggest games in the genre for $27 together. Also, co-op!

I really do mean huge, too. Abridged versions of Resident Evil's 0, 1, 2, 3, Code Veronica and a couple of new campaigns set between Code Veronica and 4. New content on top of all that as well.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 4, 2012

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I never played Siren (it doesn't look my type of game), so I didn't recommend it :kiddo:

Also, for co-op games Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is amazing, Trine and Trine 2 are really fun, Both Shanks have great (but very different) co-op modes that are better than the single player, Double Dragon Neon is real fun and seconding Scott Pilgrim.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

Edit - Also, what are some good local DOWNLOADABLE co-op games? So far I'll be getting Tokyo Jungle & Spleunker. I've already played Castle Crashers so that's out.

Buy a PS+ subscription, and right now you'll get Double Dragon and Scott Pilgrim free. Great brawlers for couch co-op action. A poo poo ton of other free games too. Do LBP2 and Ratchet and Clank have local co-op? Renegade Ops does, that's still free too.

For cheap and convenient, that PS+ sub will sort you right out for games.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

RadicalR posted:

Now now, be fair. They did fix it up after how many patches?

Not really, no. It was two patches, one of which did absolutely nothing at all and the other of which made things better by maybe like 10%. The Silent Hill HD Collection is the biggest pile of poo poo.

Edit: The Resident Evil 4 HD port might be lazy but at least it isn't aggressively lovely.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Liar Lyre posted:

I was just thinking about this. My playstation is broke right now, but I would totally play once it's fixed this week. PSN ID: silver_surfer_01

Added! I usually have time on the weekends, so just message when you get your PS3 back online. :)

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Krad posted:

Added! I usually have time on the weekends, so just message when you get your PS3 back online. :)
It should be good by this weekend. And just so it's clear, we're talking about original DR2 and not OTR right?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Parkingtigers posted:

Do LBP2 and Ratchet and Clank have local co-op?

Not sure about Ratchet and Clank, but LBP2 definitely does.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

eightysixed posted:

Not sure about Ratchet and Clank, but LBP2 definitely does.

If you mean ratchet and clank all 4 one it does, it's 4 player online/offline co-op. It didn't get great reviews but it's still pretty fun and some of the co-op bits are pretty cool.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Liar Lyre posted:

It should be good by this weekend. And just so it's clear, we're talking about original DR2 and not OTR right?

Er, I was talking about OTR all along. I guess it's my bad for forgetting that there are two versions of the game. :negative:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Having never played DR2, should I just get OTR if I want more zombies, more Capcom, and less Resident Evil?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Captain Walker posted:

Having never played DR2, should I just get OTR if I want more zombies, more Capcom, and less Resident Evil?

Well, I'm kinda biased because I really like the game, but here, watch this trailer. Did you like what you saw? If yes, get it right now.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Krad posted:

Er, I was talking about OTR all along. I guess it's my bad for forgetting that there are two versions of the game. :negative:
It's cool. It's probably cheap by now so I can pick up a copy when I get a new PS3.

Edit: yeah, it's $18 at GameStop and I got the membership card and I can probably find a coupon.

Liar Lyre fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 4, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I think you can just straight up download OTR off the PSN for $20.

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

RichterIX posted:

Not really, no. It was two patches, one of which did absolutely nothing at all and the other of which made things better by maybe like 10%. The Silent Hill HD Collection is the biggest pile of poo poo.

Edit: The Resident Evil 4 HD port might be lazy but at least it isn't aggressively lovely.

I was one of the people who said "hey how bad can it be?" The answer is bad. I watched TRSHEs (The Real Silent Hill Experience) two hour video on it and it's amazing how badly they messed up. I wouldn't recommend watching that you tube unless you're REALLY bored. In the end I dug up my old PS2 and purchased a new copy online and it holds up well and is still unsettling to this day.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

SolidRed posted:

I was one of the people who said "hey how bad can it be?" The answer is bad. I watched TRSHEs (The Real Silent Hill Experience) two hour video on it and it's amazing how badly they messed up. I wouldn't recommend watching that you tube unless you're REALLY bored. In the end I dug up my old PS2 and purchased a new copy online and it holds up well and is still unsettling to this day.

Jeez, glad I didn't get a copy then! (I still need to play them. I did beat the first SH and Shattered Memories.) Any recommendations on what to play next?

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hey Europe, you're finally getting the PSone Classic Castlevania: Symphony of the Night next week for £10.
That's over 5 years after it came out in North American PSN.

Also, the latest blogcast claims that Retro City Rampage is coming out next week on PSN, along with all these games:

Dishonored $59.99 ($53.99 right now as pre-order if you have PS+)
The Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Birds of Steel
Devil May Cry HD Collection

Derrick the Deathfin $7.99
Joe Danger: The Movie
Machinarium $9.99
Warlords
Worms Revolution $14.99
Starhawk single player (previously PS+ free/exclusive)
Naughty Bear: Panic in Paradise $14.99

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 5, 2012

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

RadicalR posted:

Jeez, glad I didn't get a copy then! (I still need to play them. I did beat the first SH and Shattered Memories.) Any recommendations on what to play next?

Shattered Memories I was actually impressed with after Downpour which I was not impressed with. I haven't beaten it because I can't stand the motion controllers of the Wii during the chase scenes they are unbearable.

If you played and enjoyed the first Silent Hill then you need to play the second one next. The combat isn't quite as hard but the game overall is better in every single way. If you don't have a PS2 I believe it is also available on PC but I'm not sure where you would buy it from. As an Australian I picked up SH2 from ozgameshop.com for the PS2.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Yechezkel posted:

Hey Europe, you're finally getting the PSone Classic Castlevania: Symphony of the Night next week for £10.
That's over 5 years after it came out in North American PSN.

That's terrible. I'm sorry you've been denied the best game ever until now, Euro PSN. :(

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Code Jockey posted:

That's terrible. I'm sorry you've been denied the best game ever until now, Euro PSN. :(

Speaking of which, Retro City Rampage is next week, and is conspicuously absent from Yezchekel's list.

(I know nothing about how this game plays)

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Captain Walker posted:

Speaking of which, Retro City Rampage is next week, and is conspicuously absent from Yezchekel's list.

(I know nothing about how this game plays)

Its not in the list but the sentence before.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's mentioned in the previous line. Let me fix that...

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Yeah, you mentioned it in the other thread though. It's ok, you run like 6 PS threads you get a couple errors now and then :)

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Code Jockey posted:

I think it's ok considering the last couple months the PS+ releases for the UK have been awesome. Seriously they get like 4 free games including Hell Yeah this month and the US gets NFL Blitz. So lame... It's not even a good blitz game for crying out loud!

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

No one buys PAL versions of PS1 games anyway because they run slower. ;)

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

bleep posted:

No one buys PAL versions of PS1 games anyway because they run slower. ;)

Same goes for the PS2 ones as well. The only problem with this is transferring them to a PSP/Vita, which only support one account at a time. As long as you have separate memory cards for European and American games, it should be fine.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Shattered Memories is one of my favorite Silent Hill games. It dared to try something different and, although it got a lot of things wrong, I am still absolutely captivated by the story it expressed. I haven't gotten to try Downpour yet, but I definitely want to when I get enough money flowing and it goes down in price a bit.

Climax, makers of Origins and Shattered Memories, has a lot of respect from me. Origins's story and Butcher may not have been well received, but the game definitely feels like a Silent Hill and is a blast to play alone or with friends. And while Shattered Memories's run and hide gameplay is frustrating, the adventure game point and click narrative with different outcomes depending on the player's choices is my favorite SH mechanic to date. I think they deserve some props for the good things they did for the series. :unsmith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Grimace posted:

Shattered Memories is one of my favorite Silent Hill games. It dared to try something different and, although it got a lot of things wrong, I am still absolutely captivated by the story it expressed. I haven't gotten to try Downpour yet, but I definitely want to when I get enough money flowing and it goes down in price a bit.

Climax, makers of Origins and Shattered Memories, has a lot of respect from me. Origins's story and Butcher may not have been well received, but the game definitely feels like a Silent Hill and is a blast to play alone or with friends. And while Shattered Memories's run and hide gameplay is frustrating, the adventure game point and click narrative with different outcomes depending on the player's choices is my favorite SH mechanic to date. I think they deserve some props for the good things they did for the series. :unsmith:

I don't really agree with you about Origins but I still feel Shattered Memories was a solid game. At worst I think it showed that Silent Hill means a lot of different things to different people, and Shattered Memories focused on what I liked best about Silent Hill. SH2 is still my favorite but I would have killed to see more games in the vein of SM. :smith:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Shattered Memories is my favorite game that I absolutely despised actually playing. The story might be the best in the a Silent Hill game and the ways in which you could interact with it were great but the actual gameplay section were horrid (at least they were on the Wii). I can appreciate what they were going for but I still pretty much had no fun doing any of it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Wow, moved to Seattle and Gamefly got their poo poo together I guess. It's Saturday Morning, 8 AM and they already shipped me Dishonored. Best I ever got in SF was a ship day of Monday and a Receive day of Weds or Thurs.

Funny to have it already in the mail and know nothing about it.

Speaking of... Is there any recent press/reviews/previews on Dishonored? I feel like that game went dark as gently caress.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Feenix posted:

Speaking of... Is there any recent press/reviews/previews on Dishonored? I feel like that game went dark as gently caress.

There's been about a thousand hands-on previews from the PC side of things, and just about everything sounds great - weirdly, there's almost no interest on the console side.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Feenix posted:

Wow, moved to Seattle and Gamefly got their poo poo together I guess. It's Saturday Morning, 8 AM and they already shipped me Dishonored. Best I ever got in SF was a ship day of Monday and a Receive day of Weds or Thurs.

It might only be because Monday is a postal holiday.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Aphrodite posted:

It might only be because Monday is a postal holiday.
Oh no poo poo what's Monday?

Oh duh... Columbus Day.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feenix posted:

Review copies went out last week. You'll be getting reviews shortly.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Review copies went out last week. You'll be getting reviews shortly.

The Dishonored embargo is over on Sunday at 9 PM west coast time, I'll be waiting to hear the news because frank discussion about it has certainly been harder to find than XCom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I've been curious about Dishonored as well. I preordered it for my dad for his birthday as he really liked Assassin's Creed and Skyrim, and Dishonored kind of sounds like it might be some bizarre combo of the two in a way, so I'm hoping he'll like it. And if he likes it I'll probably consider getting it for myself.

• Locked thread