Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

4am update, it's looking like it's gonna be a beautifully cold day. Gonna go hunt a sunrise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

So gravette and I are going to be going on a minimoon in a week, for a week, to San Luis Obispo. Looking for suggestions of places to eat, things to do. We've been before, but it was a long time ago. Namely, I would love a place to get awesome fresh shucked oysters, or even an awesome seafood market, I can bring my own knife. We were thinking of doing Hearst Castle because we didn't do it last time. Probably going to go wine tasting a few times, that's what we did last time and we really enjoyed it. Any other suggestions? Maybe a range of restaurants, too. Like hole in the wall but awesome to fine dining.

I've lived in SLO for a few years but tbh I'm kind of a homebody outside of work. fake edit: also I got super carried away with this

there are a lot of farmer's markets throughout the week, I am missing some but:
monday in los osos at 2pm, pretty good sized market
tuesday in slo 3-6 (on broad street in front of the grange, small market only 10-15 vendors)
thursday night is the big famous downtown slo farmers market at night but I tend to think of that more like a carnival than a farmer's market though there are food vendors there too.
friday afternoons there is a market in cambria but cambria is for weird people and lives under perpetual fog cover so you dont need to go to cambria
saturday mornings there is a large market in slo, in the madonna center by the embassy suites it's my favorite market as it has the most vendors and since it starts at 8am theres no street musicians or cell phone booths or young republicans with clipboards like thursday night market

At work we use morro bay oyster company locally farmed oysters, civilian access to them wholesale seems to be ill-described on their website though: http://morrobayoysters.com/index.php?p=page&page_id=buy_oysters
I think they might be at thursday night market selling them fresh shucked from a stand

Old Port Fishery also has a refrigerated truck at most markets, though not the saturday morning one. Their smoked salmon is like sweet delicious salmon candy

When I buy seafood at home I usually drive out to Giovanni's in Morro Bay, I've never been dissatisfied with anything I got there: http://www.giovannisfishmarket.com/Map.aspx

If you take the long way out to Morro Bay you can stop at Noi's in Los Osos, It's a tiny little place with two seats at a counter inside and some picnic tables outside run by a little clan of thai ladies that make amazing food (and only take cash!). They don't have their own website but their info is Address: 1288 2nd Street, Los Osos, CA 93402 Phone: (805) 528-6647

I also like Thai Boat in slo a lot, they are my go-to lazy day off lunch (too lazy to drive to noi's) and the two guys who own/run? it are the nicest friendliest guys ever. The food is always delicious but their hours are a little weird and they are fond of closing on random weekdays and putting up a sign that says "SORRY WE OPEN TOMORROW" so call ahead and make sure they're open. http://thaiboatslo.com/

In slo I really like to eat at Luna Red, it described itself as "world tapas" or something trendy like that but it's a pretty good selection of delicious small plates. The last time I was there they had a couple kinks to work out after recently changing locations but I'm sure they've since figured out that a 18 inch long plate for each single oyster doesn't work super good when your tables are only 30 inches square on the patio. Novo, a couple blocks downtown is run by the same owners and is a lot more tableclothy. Good food, also pretty eclectic menu. There is also Sidecar a bar/restaurapub place that is pretty fun to hang out in with excellent lunch food and equally excellent dinner food though you have to eat it with a bunch of hipsters yelling around you while mostly bad music plays and also you're usually pretty hammered since you've been there since lunch anyways and why would you even want to eat at this point? Also some of the bartenders there are pretty good/creative and down with weird requests. One mixed me a pretty awesome drink with bourbon, applejack, and rhubarb bitters.

If you go wine tasting in Paso you should probably hit up Thomas Hill Organics and/or Artisan. I used to work at THO; both are pretty excellent, Artisan tends to be a little pricier and mostly classic dishes executed excellently, THO is also extremely delicious but there is guaranteed to be something on the menu that makes you go "what the gently caress?" and that probably means you should order it. Go in on an off night or ready to drink and hang out because the kitchen is too small.

I'll be brief and try not to pimp my new job too hard; I work at the Lido Restaurant at the Dolphin Bay Resort in Shell Beach. It's pretty spendy because we are in the resort, but the five-course chef's tasting dinner is a pretty good deal and too much food. We have a good menu with a range of flavors kept pretty simple.

If anyone tells you there is any good mexican food around here they are probably lying.

There are probably many other good restaurants for you to try but that's what springs to mind.

If you want to go to Hearst Castle, make sure you make an appointment for the actual tour, my dad and I found out too late that without tickets in advance you can just hang out at the museum and watch people get on the bus to the actual castle, then watch a movie about building the castle and drive home.

As for other activities, like I said I'm kind of a homebody, if I do anything it's usually a day at a beach, or going out drinking in downtown slo. You aren't technically allowed to drink on any of the public beaches here but if you dont have glass containers and aren't an rear end in a top hat your chances of getting ticketed are only medium. Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Wroughtirony posted:

I have good news too!

The GM (at the job I've been at about two months) gave me a $50 gift card and added four extra hours of OT to my timesheet last week because I've been working so hard and doing what needs to be done regardless of whether or not it's "my job."

Honestly that's just how I always work and I was psyched enough to be authorized to work OT period, but it feels really loving good to be appreciated.

Since I turn 30 next week, the timing is perfect! Now how should I treat myself? :-D

Man, why can't you be in Austin Wrought? I need a banquet cook who wants buttloads of OT. I've had 3 14 hour days in a row on a broken foot. The guy we were about to hire said 12bux/hr wasn't enough(he was being hired for Cook I)

In other news, I changed 3 sauce recipes yesterday. That brings my total of revamped things to 17 :smug:

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Man, why can't you be in Austin Wrought? I need a banquet cook who wants buttloads of OT. I've had 3 14 hour days in a row on a broken foot. The guy we were about to hire said 12bux/hr wasn't enough(he was being hired for Cook I)

In other news, I changed 3 sauce recipes yesterday. That brings my total of revamped things to 17 :smug:

Okay I need to move away from NYC. 12/hr isn't enough? In Austin?

There are brilliant cooks here who would kill for that.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Sjurygg posted:

What's so great about it (and children the season is coming fast) is how he never actually mentions, as far as I can recall, what it is that blows his gasket so, either. We're just left to wonder in horrified curiosity about what Lovecraftian horror he has for a mother-in-law.

I'll keep it a mystery.

But it doesn't help that she's dumber than a bag of hammers.

There's a special melange of components that combine to make me physically bristle when I walk into the same room as her.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Kick 'em out.

The only good news I have is I installed a new graphics card.

MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti Power Edition.

It owns.

Time to get your Guild Wars 2 on.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
At the rehearsal dinner last night I was bullshitting restaurant concepts with the owner of a Belgian fry joint in Boston. Somehow the idea of an Indian/Tiki concept came up, and I named it tiki Masala. I'm torn between hiding my shame and emailing investors. Dino?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

pile of brown posted:

I've lived in SLO for a few years but tbh I'm kind of a homebody outside of work. fake edit: also I got super carried away with this

there are a lot of farmer's markets throughout the week, I am missing some but:
monday in los osos at 2pm, pretty good sized market
tuesday in slo 3-6 (on broad street in front of the grange, small market only 10-15 vendors)
thursday night is the big famous downtown slo farmers market at night but I tend to think of that more like a carnival than a farmer's market though there are food vendors there too.
friday afternoons there is a market in cambria but cambria is for weird people and lives under perpetual fog cover so you dont need to go to cambria
saturday mornings there is a large market in slo, in the madonna center by the embassy suites it's my favorite market as it has the most vendors and since it starts at 8am theres no street musicians or cell phone booths or young republicans with clipboards like thursday night market

At work we use morro bay oyster company locally farmed oysters, civilian access to them wholesale seems to be ill-described on their website though: http://morrobayoysters.com/index.php?p=page&page_id=buy_oysters
I think they might be at thursday night market selling them fresh shucked from a stand

Old Port Fishery also has a refrigerated truck at most markets, though not the saturday morning one. Their smoked salmon is like sweet delicious salmon candy

When I buy seafood at home I usually drive out to Giovanni's in Morro Bay, I've never been dissatisfied with anything I got there: http://www.giovannisfishmarket.com/Map.aspx

If you take the long way out to Morro Bay you can stop at Noi's in Los Osos, It's a tiny little place with two seats at a counter inside and some picnic tables outside run by a little clan of thai ladies that make amazing food (and only take cash!). They don't have their own website but their info is Address: 1288 2nd Street, Los Osos, CA 93402 Phone: (805) 528-6647

I also like Thai Boat in slo a lot, they are my go-to lazy day off lunch (too lazy to drive to noi's) and the two guys who own/run? it are the nicest friendliest guys ever. The food is always delicious but their hours are a little weird and they are fond of closing on random weekdays and putting up a sign that says "SORRY WE OPEN TOMORROW" so call ahead and make sure they're open. http://thaiboatslo.com/

In slo I really like to eat at Luna Red, it described itself as "world tapas" or something trendy like that but it's a pretty good selection of delicious small plates. The last time I was there they had a couple kinks to work out after recently changing locations but I'm sure they've since figured out that a 18 inch long plate for each single oyster doesn't work super good when your tables are only 30 inches square on the patio. Novo, a couple blocks downtown is run by the same owners and is a lot more tableclothy. Good food, also pretty eclectic menu. There is also Sidecar a bar/restaurapub place that is pretty fun to hang out in with excellent lunch food and equally excellent dinner food though you have to eat it with a bunch of hipsters yelling around you while mostly bad music plays and also you're usually pretty hammered since you've been there since lunch anyways and why would you even want to eat at this point? Also some of the bartenders there are pretty good/creative and down with weird requests. One mixed me a pretty awesome drink with bourbon, applejack, and rhubarb bitters.

If you go wine tasting in Paso you should probably hit up Thomas Hill Organics and/or Artisan. I used to work at THO; both are pretty excellent, Artisan tends to be a little pricier and mostly classic dishes executed excellently, THO is also extremely delicious but there is guaranteed to be something on the menu that makes you go "what the gently caress?" and that probably means you should order it. Go in on an off night or ready to drink and hang out because the kitchen is too small.

I'll be brief and try not to pimp my new job too hard; I work at the Lido Restaurant at the Dolphin Bay Resort in Shell Beach. It's pretty spendy because we are in the resort, but the five-course chef's tasting dinner is a pretty good deal and too much food. We have a good menu with a range of flavors kept pretty simple.

If anyone tells you there is any good mexican food around here they are probably lying.

There are probably many other good restaurants for you to try but that's what springs to mind.

If you want to go to Hearst Castle, make sure you make an appointment for the actual tour, my dad and I found out too late that without tickets in advance you can just hang out at the museum and watch people get on the bus to the actual castle, then watch a movie about building the castle and drive home.

As for other activities, like I said I'm kind of a homebody, if I do anything it's usually a day at a beach, or going out drinking in downtown slo. You aren't technically allowed to drink on any of the public beaches here but if you dont have glass containers and aren't an rear end in a top hat your chances of getting ticketed are only medium. Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Thanks for the recommendations! Last time we were there we actually stayed in Cambria, and liked it. Does that mean we're weird? :P

Thinking about coming for your restaurant's tasting menu.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

therattle posted:

Babby likes cheese. I gave him some pont l'Eveque (soft washed rind, pungent but not very strongly flavoured) to try this morning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9zMuVZn1vQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I am in love with your little man.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
hey a friend of mine is building a gardening application. I'm not always a fan of kickstarters, but this app actually sounds useful to me, so I donated. check it out!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1802946897/agrisaurus-an-app-for-growing-food

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
hey also, I think I asked already - but anyone have any must-go-to recommendations for Chicago - food or sights wise? I think I heard about some market or something?

I ended up getting a reservation at Next, since Alinea was closed. So that part should be good...

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Charmmi posted:

I am in love with your little man.
Thanks! He's a real cutie. Obviously I am biased but I do believe that he is objectively adorable. I love the part where, after biting off a small piece, he shoves the whole thing into his mouth.

We went out for lunch today with friends and deliberately didn't bring food for him. We ordered a Comte and onion tart (more like a souffle on a thin pastry base - delicious), fish cakes, and a sweet potato, spinach and goats' cheese pie, and just shared our food with him. He guzzled away, particularly the tart. It's such a pleasure feeding him, particularly as we try to give him as much of our food as possible, and he loves it. /babby chat

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I love you, Cuise, and I love Austin, but this gig is just too sweet to take a pay cut (yes, you heard me) to toil away in your banquet sweatshop, no matter the overtime. I have evenings and weekends off, paid holidays and my dental plan is fantastic. Plus, my cats and my husband live here in VA. :)

Casu my heart goes out to you. Mr. W and my parents (mostly my Dad) can't stand each other either and it sucks. As much as my parents are usually in the wrong, they're still my parents and telling them to gently caress off isn't easy. Plus I get to hear both parties complain about the other and everyone expects me to do something to fix things. My strategy for dealing is to be clear to everyone involved that they can talk to each other and I will not pass messages or otherwise be a go-between. It's not a perfect solution to everything but it keeps me sane.

Basically just remember that she chose to be with you and that should mean a lot. She didn't get to choose her parents. Try to pick your battles wisely and know that any conflict will hurt her, no matter who is right.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Vegetable Melange posted:

At the rehearsal dinner last night I was bullshitting restaurant concepts with the owner of a Belgian fry joint in Boston. Somehow the idea of an Indian/Tiki concept came up, and I named it tiki Masala. I'm torn between hiding my shame and emailing investors. Dino?

The thought of sweet tiki drinks and curry-spectrum dishes makes me ill. Go for Tikka Tiki, as tandoori food and tiki drinks seem like a natural match.

I don't know if I'm lucky or unlucky that my mother likes my GF more than my mother likes me.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I've been saying it for a while now, but Filipino Halo Halo packaged in the same manner as PinkBerry is overdue for it's spotlightmoment.

:getin:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

Thanks for the recommendations! Last time we were there we actually stayed in Cambria, and liked it. Does that mean we're weird? :P

It's not a bad place or anything but I used to run a taco stand at that farmer's market and it was always a bizarre mix of the 60 year old hippies who live there and the douchebag socal tourists who rent/timeshare houses there. In all honesty I've really pretty much only been to the farmers market. I've heard a lot of people say it's a "cute little town" but that's not the hugest draw for me in general.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

mindphlux posted:

hey also, I think I asked already - but anyone have any must-go-to recommendations for Chicago - food or sights wise? I think I heard about some market or something?

I ended up getting a reservation at Next, since Alinea was closed. So that part should be good...

Aviary, The Publican, and Moto are all right near Next, if you're interested in any of those. I don't know poo poo about Chicago, but we stayed at Longman and Eagle and they had some real nice food, especially their small plates. An ungodly variety of whiskeys, if that's your thing, and real knowledgeable bartenders.

I'm sure somebody else will have something better, but that's what we did and our trip was awesome as hell.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

bartolimu posted:

He's not immune. The rules have always been more relaxed in the chat thread, Abobo is unrestrained by any results of my ignoble defeat, and if he did anything truly egregious I'd still hit him for it. Thankfully, the rest of you have stepped up your shitposting to the point that he no longer stands out as especially insular or terrible.

Sorry bro.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pretty good night. Fire going in the hearth, 20 pounds of apples on the stove for sauce, and a apple spice cake in the oven.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I made it back safe from my trip, and we narrowly (as in like less than a 5 minute window) avoided a major accident! That was kinda surreal, seeing 2 cars totally totaled, and the other car kinda hosed, and everyone veering over to the one side of the highway. And I'm loving thankful we missed that.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Casu Marzu posted:

Pretty good night. Fire going in the hearth, 20 pounds of apples on the stove for sauce, and a apple spice cake in the oven.
Aw man, now I have to go out and track down some decent apples for applesauce because that sounds so good. Too bad most of the apples I've seen around here are 65% core, 1% juice.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Aw man, now I have to go out and track down some decent apples for applesauce because that sounds so good. Too bad most of the apples I've seen around here are 65% core, 1% juice.

That's depressing.

I got lucky and my relatives planted some local hybrids and some honeycrisps on the farm over the years. I have apples out the ears this fall. Looking into planting some heirloom varieties in the spring.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

honeycrisps

:swoon: Oh honeycrisps, why are you so drat tasty? (and horribly expensive)

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
I tried a honeycrisp, and it just tasted really grossly sweet to me. Was I doing it wrong or are they really 100% sugar with no tart at all?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
At Oktoberfest. I am a little drunk but boy oh boy is the food and beer and music awesome.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Semisponge posted:

I tried a honeycrisp, and it just tasted really grossly sweet to me. Was I doing it wrong or are they really 100% sugar with no tart at all?

You've had a bad one. They should be sweet, yes, but also tart

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

CuddleChunks posted:

:swoon: Oh honeycrisps, why are you so drat tasty? (and horribly expensive)

Licensing. The patent expired and the price for honeycrisps should drop as orchards are established.

Semisponge posted:

The strain is rather sensitive to growing conditions. It shouldn't have lacked the tart as you describe unless you lean towards Granny Smith levels of tartness.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Casu Marzu posted:

You've had a bad one. They should be sweet, yes, but also tart

Honeycrisp is overrated :colbert:. Fuji is where it's at. Pink Ladies are good too.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Just gonna drop in and say that Envy apples are the best apples, followed closely by Jazz. All other apples are totally for scrubs.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Had an Apple tart for desert tonight at Oktoberfest. Don't know what kind of apples they were; probably beer apples.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

art smith has a restaurant in atlanta

it's like a down home restaurant and I didn't terribly respect art smith before going or anything, but, he has this 'ham bar' concept. basically he just has a poo poo load of southeastern country hams on deck, and for $6 will give you a 2oz tasting of them. he has like 12-14 hams on his menu.

I, being the sort of ridiculous guy I am, decided that one or two simply wouldn't do, and asked just for a 'single slice of each type of ham' - offering to pay whatever was reasonable, hopefully not more than like $20. waiter talked to the chef, who apparently is hugely enthusiastic about his hams, and he was like 'oh yeah totally not a problem.

I was presented with this :

:swoon:

so, for $18, I got a taste of every single ham on their menu, except it wasn't a taste it was more like a loving ham typhoon because christ almighty, I tasted every single ham on that platter and after just one slice I was going into salt overload coma.

noone will care about my pointless notes to myself, but in the rare case you were wanting to evaluate the quality of dry cured heritage breed southern hams, here are my tasting notes (and here's a copy of the menu)

http://southernart.com/storage/menus/Dinner%20Menu.pdf

Bentons - Salty to the extreme, chewy, little smoke flavor
Broadbent - sweet at outset, moderate salt, rich like iberico awesome.
Caw caw creek - really nutty, moderate salt, rich fat layer
Ecofriendly farms - reallllly fatty mouthfeel, intense salt. Puckery salty aftertase, but good.
Fathers - big smoke flavor, hickory I think, high salt. Feels like a country ham.
Finchville farms - lower salt, not very smoky.
Iberico - iberico.
La quercia - suprising lack of flavor, but tastes alright I guess. Soft, low salt.
Mangolista - striking dark color, moderate salt, acorny flavor - very good.
Olli Salumeria - sharp pleasant flavor - mid high salt - proscuitto like flavor
Surryano - really tasty, sweet brown sugar taste, mid high salt, nice moderate smoke
Tennshoote - mild sharp taste, mild smoke, midhigh salt. Solid
Nancy - strikingly different, mid salt, sweet in an undefinable way, very chewy/raw texture. But good

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I admire your ham expedition.

I'm about to put some fuckit bread pudding in the oven. I had some old stale bread, and I was like, "Fuckit, let's make pudding" so I whisked up some milk, eggs, cinnamon, and sugar. I am hopeful.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Heirlooms and old school breeds are still best. gently caress commercial apples :colbert:

One of the trees I have are a cross of fireside and honeycrisp and holy drat they're good. Makes for tiny apples though unfortunately.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Turns out fuckit bread pudding is pretty awesome. I tried to upload some photos from my camera but that poo poo was all hosed up, so you'll have to take my word that it was awesome and delicious.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Had an Apple tart for desert tonight at Oktoberfest. Don't know what kind of apples they were; probably beer apples.

Yo Wiggles, which tent you at? I was in Munich last week for the 'fest.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Vegetable Melange posted:

That's awesome and hilarious. Bad puns are always a good idea.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
You didn't put that mustard on that ham did you?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Vlex posted:

Yo Wiggles, which tent you at? I was in Munich last week for the 'fest.

No no no. I wasn't at the actual Oktoberfest in Munich, as cool as that would have been. Rather, I was at our town's fest, which is really cool on two levels. First, since we're a farm town, there's actual significance to a harvest festival since we've just finished, well, harvesting. But second, it's put on by and as a benefit for the junior high and highschool music programs. So it's in this great big barn, and everybody in town comes. There's good German music, plus the highschool band and choirs perform. All the kids work as servers bringing delicious foods like soups and hot kraut and assorted sausages and potato cakes and cucumber salads and everything else you can think of. The Rotary Club runs DAS BIERGARTEN in the corner of the barn under it's own little tent with it's own lights hanging and such and they bring in a great many kegs of pretty good actual marzens and weisbiers from good breweries that we all drink from big 1 litre mugs all night long. Actually, it's very close to the big party scene from the first LOTR movie - It's a real community thing, you see, and it's actual good wholesome fun for everyone involved. And we raise a ton of money for the music program, which is good because they don't get any actual funding from the school district.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

dino. posted:

That's awesome and hilarious. Bad puns are always a good idea.

To add to this the male waitstaff should dress in crazy Bollywood dance number costumes and the women in Jimmy Buffet drag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

No no no. I wasn't at the actual Oktoberfest in Munich, as cool as that would have been. Rather, I was at our town's fest, which is really cool on two levels. First, since we're a farm town, there's actual significance to a harvest festival since we've just finished, well, harvesting. But second, it's put on by and as a benefit for the junior high and highschool music programs. So it's in this great big barn, and everybody in town comes. There's good German music, plus the highschool band and choirs perform. All the kids work as servers bringing delicious foods like soups and hot kraut and assorted sausages and potato cakes and cucumber salads and everything else you can think of. The Rotary Club runs DAS BIERGARTEN in the corner of the barn under it's own little tent with it's own lights hanging and such and they bring in a great many kegs of pretty good actual marzens and weisbiers from good breweries that we all drink from big 1 litre mugs all night long. Actually, it's very close to the big party scene from the first LOTR movie - It's a real community thing, you see, and it's actual good wholesome fun for everyone involved. And we raise a ton of money for the music program, which is good because they don't get any actual funding from the school district.

Y'know, that sounds like fine way to spend your time. At least, better than being verbally and physically abused by Australians in dirndls. I want that country to return to being a prison colony after what I saw last week.