Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Up or Down on the dpad. Then just aim and throw like any gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

charismaslover posted:

Anyone have any tips for how to rack up points in mercenaries? I want to rack up skill points for infinite ammo but I'm absolutely terrible :negative:

Here's how to succeed in Mercs:
- Find all the time bonuses at the starts of the round.
- Melee mooks.
- Keep the combo going at any cost.
- Remember that using a healing item refills your stamina.

That's all.

Killing an enemy with melee gives you an extra time bonus (5 seconds for melee, 7 seconds for a coup-de-grace, 10 seconds for a counter). If you get a good rhythm going, you'll pretty much double your time.

Watch videos on youtube to see the optimal path to follow at the start of the round to get the time bonuses. Make sure to grab any healing items on the way, so that you can quickly restore your stamina if you need to.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Who the gently caress decided it would be a good idea to have the player press Start, then A button 3 times, then Start, then A button another 6 times to start playing the game after loading it from the dashboard? That's just not user-friendly at all :argh:

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

In It For The Tank posted:

Here's how to succeed in Mercs:
- Find all the time bonuses at the starts of the round.
- Melee mooks.
- Keep the combo going at any cost.
- Remember that using a healing item refills your stamina.

To add to this, I'd suggest sticking with Jake at first and Urban Chaos. Shoot ordinary/acid spitting zombies in the head or the arm and run up and do the special melee. If it's a fireman zombie, it's generally easier to hit them in the arm. A quick shot to the dogs will kill them instantly. Bloodshots, the red zombies with the glowing chest, are best taken care of by countering their lunge but if you're swamped or pressed for time use the Elephant Gun to thin them out or grenades mixed with pistol shots. If your combo is in danger of running out and zombies are far away, just pull out the Elephant Gun and blow one away. The EG destroys both types of Whopper in the stage, so you don't have to worry about them.

With a little bit of practice you'll be pulling A and S ranks in no time and can move onto implementing more counters and stuff. If you can get in a Duo game with someone a little more experienced it'll take some pressure off and let you get a feel for spawns and strategies. Just relax and don't sweat about score too much, you'll rack up the points soon enough.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Does co-op mercenaries unlock the other characters/outfits? If so, would anyone mind being my sherpa while I get the hang of things?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Yay Pudding! posted:

I'm sure this has been asked, but I checked the last few pages and didn't see it: how do I use grenades and first aid sprays? The tutorial showed how to do the herb pills, but there have been a few times I would have loved to lob a grenade into a crowd and couldn't figure out how to do it.
It's okay, I had this problem too. Though I really should have tried the D-Pad again later (Trying all the buttons in tutorial! D-Pad isn't doing anything, okay ill ignore it) after they unlocked my controls.

Then in chapter three it finally gave me a loading screen tip "That's how you do it". I miss manuals. Now I'm missing the tiny pamphlets that are just disclaimers and your controller layout :smith: Nothing in my 360 box but the discs.

Also, you can't throw remote bombs right? Just place them down? They have still been useful (especially when I know Stack Of Enemies Spawns Here), but I miss throwing high explosives at people, though the incendiary grenades are fun.

EDIT: vvv :swoon:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 7, 2012

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Section Z posted:

It's okay, I had this problem too. Though I really should have tried the D-Pad again later (Trying all the buttons in tutorial! D-Pad isn't doing anything, okay ill ignore it) after they unlocked my controls.

Then in chapter three it finally gave me a loading screen tip "That's how you do it". I miss manuals. Now I'm missing the tiny pamphlets that are just disclaimers and your controller layout :smith: Nothing in my 360 box but the discs.

Also, you can't throw remote bombs right? Just place them down? They have still been useful (especially when I know Stack Of Enemies Spawns Here), but I miss throwing high explosives at people, though the incendiary grenades are fun.

You can drop remote bombs while sliding for maximum awesome.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Section Z posted:

Really? The European PS3 version comes with a small manual that explains the controls with some goofy pictures of Leon doing stuff.

This game has a ton of hidden stuff and details. In Jake's chapter 5 if you grab a raskaplanje's hand in the lab area where the shelves are, Jake or Sherry will toss it in a furnace.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 7, 2012

-B l a z e i n g-
May 11, 2010
I havent been able to play vidgames for the past few months and Im starting to really go thru pixel withdrawal, so naturally '6 looks really badass to me. Did it just come out at a time where everyone was burnt out from this gen of bro'd downed games?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Who the gently caress decided it would be a good idea to have the player press Start, then A button 3 times, then Start, then A button another 6 times to start playing the game after loading it from the dashboard? That's just not user-friendly at all :argh:

And not being able to pause what the poo poo :cmon:

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

You can pause if your network is set to Offline when you start playing.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
So is it just me being dumb or is there no way to get rid of the objective marker without getting rid of your health and ammo too?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
You wanna destroy any bioterrorist organization in the history of anything? Just put Leon behind the wheel of any vehicle and point him in the right direction. :drat:

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

loving thank you. That was really annoying.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Calaveron posted:

You wanna destroy any bioterrorist organization in the history of anything? Just put Leon behind the wheel of any vehicle and point him in the right direction. :drat:

It was pretty funny that Helena was the one piloting at the very end.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Even elevators are not save from Leon's curse.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm only on Chapter 4 and there's still promise of the Kennedy curse manifesting aww yeah :allears:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I really enjoyed Operation Raccoon City, but it really screwed up my instincts going into RE:6.

Whenever a bad guy pops out at me my first instinct is to just rush him and melee to knock them off balance then blast their head off. Or if you see someone getting ready to rush you you can stagger them with a few gunshots.

I guess thats one of my small complaints about this game. I cant tell you how many times I've seen a zombie getting ready to launch himself at me and it doesn't matter if I blast him in the face with a shotgun, hes already started the animation and hes going to get that leap in no matter what. Or when a j'avo has popped out a door and shrugs off my melee hit because his grab trumps all. This game punishes you for not stopping and ducking for cover and not taking it slow when you know an ambush is coming.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

I just figured this out on my own. Holy poo poo, that's awesome. Before, I had my network set to Xbox Live for whatever reason (guess it defaults to that) and I wasn't able to Pause by pressing Start. I'd press Select but that didn't stop zombies from clawing at me while I went to the bathroom or to get something to eat :negative:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Starting up Chris's storyline after Leon's is a little bit of a letdown.

They must have had totally different scenario designers between the campaigns because it's not just a different flavor of game, it just doesn't feel quite...right.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Speedball posted:

They must have had totally different scenario designers between the campaigns because it's not just a different flavor of game, it just doesn't feel quite...right.

Is it worth playing? I'm on chapter 3 of Leon's campaign now (there are only 4 chapters per campaign, right?) and I'm thinking of returning the game to Blockbuster after I'm done with this one. Game's alright, and it has a few cool moments here and there, but it's not that great and I'd rather not play through 2 more campaigns if they aren't as good as Leon's.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh loving Christ, a "try to avoid drowning while finding the exit" swimming section? Awesome :rolleyes: Reminds me of Metal Gear Solid 2. "Colonel, I've got Emma Emmerich here. We managed to avoid drowning! :haw:"

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Oh loving Christ, a "try to avoid drowning while finding the exit" swimming section? Awesome :rolleyes: Reminds me of Metal Gear Solid 2. "Colonel, I've got Emma Emmerich here. We managed to avoid drowning! :haw:"

Hold L2/Left trigger to activate the path finder. Tap X/A while pressing forward on the left stick. Congrats, the path finder will do all the steering for you, drastically reducing the frustration.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

In It For The Tank posted:

Hold L2/Left trigger to activate the path finder. Tap X/A while pressing forward on the left stick. Congrats, the path finder will do all the steering for you, drastically reducing the frustration.

I'm already done with the section. Just defeated the giant zombie whale or whatever the gently caress that thing was. It was just a lovely mechanic to put in the game.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Speedball posted:

The game has 10 designer credits. Read that however you want it to. At this point, I'm just going to set the difficulty to Amateur and plow through everything with a friend.

Also had the game hard lock-up with the error "Could not load the game data. Delete the Resident Evil 6 game data" twice now. Has anyone had this happen, or is this game killing my PS3 out of spite?

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
I'm pretty sure playing as Piers was the best decision I've made in this game so far.

Being a PTSD suffering alcoholic's sidekick is fun but so is sniping everything with an anti-tank gun. :buddy:

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sober Prospector posted:

I havent been able to play vidgames for the past few months and Im starting to really go thru pixel withdrawal, so naturally '6 looks really badass to me. Did it just come out at a time where everyone was burnt out from this gen of bro'd downed games?

The game has a pretty interesting story, some cool looking monster design, and you visit some interesting environments, but the gameplay is crap. I just can't call it a good game. The parts where you play normally range from sorta-fun to okay, but its filled with tedious "sequences" where you're running away, or on rails turret shooting, and lovely boss fights that aren't really bosses but more like scripted in game cutscenes and you can't tell if you killed them or not. Some people are having fun with the mercenary mode but I don't like it at all (hardly any monsters on the screen at all, J'avo Snipers, really?). If you ask me I'd say save your money for a better game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is it worth playing? I'm on chapter 3 of Leon's campaign now (there are only 4 chapters per campaign, right?) and I'm thinking of returning the game to Blockbuster after I'm done with this one. Game's alright, and it has a few cool moments here and there, but it's not that great and I'd rather not play through 2 more campaigns if they aren't as good as Leon's.

Each one has 5 chapters, and you'll wanna play Chris and Jakes just to get to Adas if nothing else

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

NESguerilla posted:

I'm glad some people are enjoying it, but I couldn't even get past the 2 hour mark. I really wanted to enjoy it but its just so thoroughly unfun to me in literally every way I don't even want to keep the rental an extra day. What a mess.

This is where I'm at. Two hours in and so turned off I can't bring myself to resume it.

My friends all say it gets better, though...

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

I beat Leon's campaign tonight and it just seemed to drag on for way too long at the end. Maybe I was imagining poo poo, I dunno.

This game just feels off. Which is sad, because when you do something cool it's usually really cool and you want more cool poo poo, but bam the game just fell on its face again and it's squirming on the ground shrieking and making GBS threads itself :(

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Is the only way to unlock alternate costumes to link your account to RE.net? Is there any way to unlock the alternate costumes characters wear in the main campaigns through the game?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Rocco posted:

This is where I'm at. Two hours in and so turned off I can't bring myself to resume it.

My friends all say it gets better, though...

I'm not sure if I should say it gets better. It's a pretty same line game, it's not like the style of game is going to 100% change, if you don't like the controls and they haven't clicked for you a few hours in I'm not sure if it's going to ever click. If it's the setpieces not doing it for you then know this.

Leon : All the way through the areas he goes to are pretty neat, at least in my opinion.

Chris : His first 3 chapters are kinda bland setting wise, chapter 4 is pretty much a RE: Revelations callback, and Chapter 5 is where he shines the most.

Jake : His settings are cool but he's the gimmick character, he has most of the weird gameplay changes from stealth sections to melee only to vehicle sections out the rear end.

Ada : Is the best tied only with Leon, she has one insanely frustrating boss fight but she feels like classic RE and as many people myself included say, chapter 4 is insane and worth seeing for yourself if you get that far.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

GUI posted:

Is the only way to unlock alternate costumes to link your account to RE.net? Is there any way to unlock the alternate costumes characters wear in the main campaigns through the game?

You can't change costumes in the campaign at all, sadly. The extra costumes are limited to The Mercenaries and the costumes you can buy on RE.net are just recolours of the ones you unlock by getting an A rank with that character.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I just want to reiterate what others have said: if you're playing Chris' campaign by yourself, then you should play as Piers.

Not only is it a stronger narrative, since you develop Chris from a third person perspective with a player surrogate, but you also get to see some awesome set-pieces that you miss when you're controlling Chris.

For example, at one point you chase someone who slams a locked door in your face. Playing as Chris, you just walk up to the door and open it. Playing as Piers, you see Chris go nuts and bash the lock to pieces with the butt of his gun.

Like others have said, being the best pal of haunted, alcoholic veteran Chris is the far superior story.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This rope-climbing quick time event in Leon's Chapter 5 is the worst loving thing ever. I wasn't getting how to do it at all the first few times, so I'd keep falling back to the beginning of it. Now I think I get how to do it, and I'm making it a lot farther than I was before, but I still fall back to the beginning :psyboom:

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe
Those climbing QTEs are explained really badly, I had the same problem. The trick is to keep the previous button pressed as you press the next one, but I didn't get that from the icons at all.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
You have to hold both buttons and just release one for a moment when it tells you to. If you release both, he lets go.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

neetz posted:

You can't change costumes in the campaign at all, sadly. The extra costumes are limited to The Mercenaries and the costumes you can buy on RE.net are just recolours of the ones you unlock by getting an A rank with that character.

Yeah, I know about that already and it's pretty stupid, but I'm talking about costumes like Leon wearing his jacket being selectable in Mercenaries. From what I've seen the only unlockable costumes seem to be the goofy ones like his pirate costume.

quote:

Chris : His first 3 chapters are kinda bland setting wise, chapter 4 is pretty much a RE: Revelations callback, and Chapter 5 is where he shines the most.

Chris' level design is for the most part good, but the first half of Chapter 3 and a lot of Chapter 1 is something out of a budget title. There's a particular area in Chapter 3 where it's an undetailed tiny square room with low resolution textures, 4 enemies and a handful of boxes then the next one is just a barren empty room with terrible textures and a door whose handle isn't a model but rather a flat surface that's part of the texture. It's awful.

Also, does anyone get disconnections every 30 minutes or so on the PS3 when playing co-op?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

farfromsleep posted:

Those climbing QTEs are explained really badly, I had the same problem. The trick is to keep the previous button pressed as you press the next one, but I didn't get that from the icons at all.

Finally got past it using that trick. Thanks! Goddamn, that was annoying :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

GUI posted:

Also, does anyone get disconnections every 30 minutes or so on the PS3 when playing co-op?

Yeeeep. And as far as I can tell once you seperate you can't just rejoin that person's campaign, if it's set to private.