Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
Bryger 37 is out.

Al Baron fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
So... errr... Mazinger Z got licensed

I'm utterly baffled. I don't understand. How can something this magical happen?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ActionZero posted:

Discotek is a company that appear to want all my money is why.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ImpAtom posted:

Discotek is a company that appear to want all my money is why.

My wallet seems to be stuck dry humping my monitor whenever I go to that page.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

ActionZero posted:

But will people keep making jokes about crabsticks?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Miracon posted:

But will people keep making jokes about crabsticks?

Just because there will be a new, hopefully more intelligible translation, doesn't mean the old one is going away. The HK translations will live on in our memories and backup hard drives.

The Discotek facebook page also says that they are hoping to release all of the the original Harlock, Casshern, Polymer, Samurai Pizza Cats (!), and Mad Bull 34 along with a host of others.

While I applaud the selection, I wonder how well the translation's will be if they plan to release all of this is a short time frame.

Is anyone familiar with them?

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

ActionZero posted:

I'm completely torn because my immediate reaction is "MY MONEY IS FORFEIT AS OF RIGHT THE gently caress NOW" but on the other hand it's the 70s show and do I really want to go through all that again? :ohdear:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man, they'd better release Samurai Pizza Cats with the original dub or it's worthless. Mad Bull 34 is generally regarded as one of the worst anime shows of all time. Neither have anything to do with giant robots though, so, uh.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sakurazuka posted:

Man, they'd better release Samurai Pizza Cats with the original dub or it's worthless. Mad Bull 34 is generally regarded as one of the worst anime shows of all time. Neither have anything to do with giant robots though, so, uh.

The SPCs do have a giant robot, and Mad Bull 34 gets in through the Go Nagai clause. :colbert:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

Just because there will be a new, hopefully more intelligible translation, doesn't mean the old one is going away. The HK translations will live on in our memories and backup hard drives.

The Discotek facebook page also says that they are hoping to release all of the the original Harlock, Casshern, Polymer, Samurai Pizza Cats (!), and Mad Bull 34 along with a host of others.

While I applaud the selection, I wonder how well the translation's will be if they plan to release all of this is a short time frame.

Discotek released the Game Center CX collection and a bunch of other old (and some new) anime. They're a pretty good company and I have not heard anything bad about their translations from anyone (and 2013 is pretty far off, plus it may mean a really late date in 2013 too)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Looks like they also have Cutie Honey.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

ActionZero posted:

This is the best thing to ever happen. It better do well. Y'all better buy, BUY, BUY!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

and Mad Bull 34 gets in through the Go Nagai clause. :colbert:

you do realize that Go Nagai didn't make Madbull right?

The dude who made Madbull was Kazuo Koike, of Lone Wolf and Cub repute.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zorak posted:

you do realize that Go Nagai didn't make Madbull right?

The dude who made Madbull was Kazuo Koike, of Lone Wolf and Cub repute.

I have made a terrible mistake. I believe I somehow confused Madbull with Black Lion.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Schwarzwald posted:

It should be worth pointing out that the subtitles for Game Center CX were redone just for Discotek's DVD's by SA's own Zari-gani, who is part of the fansubbing effort in Games and is generally considered to be really good at it.

So if anything else they probably know what they're doing.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Original Mazinger Z got licensed? For real?

Isn't it just 92 episodes of monster of the week, though? I can appreciate the historical significance, but...

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MarsDragon posted:

Original Mazinger Z got licensed? For real?

Isn't it just 92 episodes of monster of the week, though? I can appreciate the historical significance, but...

It's also 92 episodes of figuring out how to run an animation studio.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

To go with Mazinger and Cutie Honey. There's a page on amazon for Gaiking '76.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009INAK6Y

Here's hoping Shout Factory does all of the Force Five series.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 7, 2012

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Sakurazuka posted:

Man, they'd better release Samurai Pizza Cats with the original dub or it's worthless.

IIRC they've said it's going to have both the dub and subs.

They've also released the entirety of Fist of the North Star in four box sets.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
It'd be cool if the new DVDs kept the rad as hell box art that was plastered all over the originals.

Kinna doubt it, though.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Discotek does excellent work and their offerings, well...after their initial ones I think I already own from back in the day, are at the top of my purchasing list once I find gainful employment again so as to get back into the R1 dvd game.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Original Mazinger didn't age very well. Or well at all. I'm probably getting this if only to show support, because I don't think I can put up with that show again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Are there any early giant robot shows that have aged well?

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Depends on your definitions of "early" and "aged well," but I'd say Gundam and Ideon.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think for anything pre-Gundam the answer relies on how much tolerance you have for the monster of the week format (and heck Gundam itself fell into that trapping a few times).

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Sakurazuka posted:

Are there any early giant robot shows that have aged well?

Voltes V immediately springs to mind.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The latter half of Zambot 3 is surprisingly good too, it helps that it is only 23 episodes long though and not 70+

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Honestly, I love the hell out of Mazinger, but I am going to have to find a buddy and a drinking game to get through it when I buy it.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Nasgate posted:

Honestly, I love the hell out of Mazinger, but I am going to have to find a buddy and a drinking game to get through it when I buy it.

Take a shot every time there's a plot hole that could've been explained by reading the manga. You'll be shitfaced in no time.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Drink every time Rocket Punch is said?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Drink every time Sayaka is crapped on by the plot.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Mad Bull 34 is generally regarded as one of the worst anime shows of all time.

Hey, you shut up. Mad Bull 34 loving owns. :colbert:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ImpAtom posted:

Drink every time Sayaka is crapped on by the plot.

Stop trying to murder people with alcohol.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Suben posted:

All of which I now proudly own..even the much maligned second season.

WickedIcon posted:

Hey, you shut up. Mad Bull 34 loving owns. :colbert:
:hfive:

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 8, 2012

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Suben posted:

IIRC they've said it's going to have both the dub and subs.

What, for real?

I'll try to hold off until after Christmas so my wallet doesn't hate me as much, but I have to get that. ...and possibly more shelving for all my DVDs and books.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Majestic Prince preview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywxoFz05R3g

Hisashi Hirai is back in the character design saddle and it's being directed by Keitaro Motonaga (Jormungand.) Looks okay I guess. Based on a Monthy Hero manga.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Guyver posted:

Majestic Prince preview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywxoFz05R3g

Hisashi Hirai is back in the character design saddle and it's being directed by Keitaro Motonaga (Jormungand.) Looks okay I guess. Based on a Monthy Hero manga.

:sigh: I can't get SEED out of my head every time I see those designs. I'm actually turned off of the project because of it

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Irritated Goat posted:

:sigh: I can't get SEED out of my head every time I see those designs. I'm actually turned off of the project because of it

All I noticed was Macross.
Missle Spam and Dogfights where the only things in that trailer.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
And now for more absurd news.

Not so sure how I feel about this one though. I have a feeling what they're talking about is basically the episodes used for Force Five and none of the ones that didn't make it there, but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Ugh, none of their work is any good from what I recall---want to think they were the ones behind the terrible Bo-bobo dvd release that didn't come anywhere close to par for a "good" R1 release.

• Locked thread