Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What in the hell? Simmons just turned into a giant fly :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
So is GameTrailers known for being overly positive or something? I normally find their reviews good enough, but wow, 8.8 is a really high score compared to what this is getting elsewhere. I know opinions disagree, but it seems odd.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

So is GameTrailers known for being overly positive or something? I normally find their reviews good enough, but wow, 8.8 is a really high score compared to what this is getting elsewhere. I know opinions disagree, but it seems odd.

RE6 in no way deserves an 8.8. I'd say the highest it should get is like a 7 out of 10, and that's being generous.

On the other hand, I don't think it's 4.5 out of 10 level bad like GameSpot seemed to think it was. I'd say 6 out of 10 is a nice middleground.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

8.8 is high on the spectrum, just as 4.5 is low. It's a solid 7-8.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just beat Leon's campaign. Uhhh, what? That was the shittiest possible ending :pwn:

Is one of the 4 campaigns supposed to wrap everything up while all the others have abrupt endings? Because if so, that's awful.

The gameplay has gotten on my nerves, so I'm stopping now. I may watch Let's Plays of the other campaigns at some point in the future, but to be honest, I don't really give a poo poo what happens to the other characters. The game never really gave me a reason to.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Just beat Leon's campaign. Uhhh, what? That was the shittiest possible ending :pwn:

Is one of the 4 campaigns supposed to wrap everything up while all the others have abrupt endings? Because if so, that's awful.

The gameplay has gotten on my nerves, so I'm stopping now. I may watch Let's Plays of the other campaigns at some point in the future, but to be honest, I don't really give a poo poo what happens to the other characters. The game never really gave me a reason to.

Yeah; all the endings are kinda bleh. Ada's campaign is her tying everything together and giving the game a proper ending.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah; all the endings are kinda bleh. Ada's campaign is her tying everything together and giving the game a proper ending.

But I would have to play through Chris and Jake's campaigns to unlock hers? It's not available to me on the campaign select screen. If so, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that!

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

GUI posted:

Yeah, I know about that already and it's pretty stupid, but I'm talking about costumes like Leon wearing his jacket being selectable in Mercenaries. From what I've seen the only unlockable costumes seem to be the goofy ones like his pirate costume.

The Mercenaries costumes actually work pretty much the same as the main game, though it's surprisingly subtle, so you might not have noticed. Your character will be wearing whichever of their campaign costumes is appropriate to the environment in the map you pick.

skog
Aug 20, 2009
Has anyone played Chronicles HD? Thinking about picking them up since i haven't used my move controller in months

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

So, I just saw Resident Evil: Damnation. Don't see Resident Evil: Damnation.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

It should've been all Leon one liners. All of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf-7Br-wuqA

edit: Also, is it me or do the characters with sniper rifles suck rear end in Mercs? Ada 2, Piers 1 and 2, Helena 2 all seem to be awful in comparison to folks who really carry heavy firepower.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fereydun posted:

It should've been all Leon one liners. All of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf-7Br-wuqA

edit: Also, is it me or do the characters with sniper rifles suck rear end in Mercs? Ada 2, Piers 1 and 2, Helena 2 all seem to be awful in comparison to folks who really carry heavy firepower.

Jake 2 is loving great.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Crowetron posted:

So, I just saw Resident Evil: Damnation. Don't see Resident Evil: Damnation.

That film was hilariously fun like all the others, and more than worth it for Jill's battle suit :mad:

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe

Fraction posted:

That film was hilariously fun like all the others, and more than worth it for Jill's battle suit :mad:
Either there's a joke going way over my head here, or you're getting it mixed up with Retribution.

The CG Resi films are a good example in how sticking to the source material can actually end up worse than a Mary Sue vanity project made by people who don't really give that much of a gently caress about it.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Oh I dunno any of the names of them, I'm talking about the one that juuuust came out in the cinema :v:

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe

Fraction posted:

Oh I dunno any of the names of them, I'm talking about the one that juuuust came out in the cinema :v:
Damnation is the CG one that just came out straight to DVD. They're unrelated to the movies and stick a lot closer to the source, but very much 'for the fans'.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Yeah my bad then I was thinking of Retribution. Is Damnation and the others actually worth a watch in a so bad it's good kind of way or are they flat out terrible?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Fraction posted:

Yeah my bad then I was thinking of Retribution. Is Damnation and the others actually worth a watch in a so bad it's good kind of way or are they flat out terrible?

From what I hear, if you like Leon you'll like the movies. If you don't like Leon, well, he's the only interesting thing about them so you probably won't.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
Just finished Leon campaign. REALLY enjoyed it. Not a patch on Re4 but then nothing ever is.

The action was good, the story ridiculous. I don't understand the complaints about the controls, never once felt like I was "wrestling" with them.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Son Ryo posted:

From what I hear, if you like Leon you'll like the movies. If you don't like Leon, well, he's the only interesting thing about them so you probably won't.

How can you not like Leon

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Son Ryo posted:

I'm not fussed on Leon either way! I might give the first one a try though. What's the name of it?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Fraction posted:

I'm not fussed on Leon either way! I might give the first one a try though. What's the name of it?

Resident Evil Degeneration. I liked it better than Damnation, though I still enjoyed Damnation quite a bit.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Picked up RE6 today, and played a bit of the single player story, but the camera and controls were pissing me off so much I decided to try mercenaries mode. I probably put hundreds of hours into mercenaries in 4 and 5, and it was the main reason I picked up this game mainly for it.

Maybe it's because I haven't played enough to find out how to do it well, but did they completely gimp the melee system from 5? Kneecapping and directional body shots don't seem to do anything at all, and most of the time the zombies don't even flinch. Characters seem to have only a couple melee moves, and not only do the downed enemy attacks not insta-kill enemies, half the time they miss. Is there a way to quick reload from the inventory during animations? It seems like the entirety of the melee system is mashing the melee button 3 times to do a generic combo.

Add to this the camera is jammed up your characters rear end which makes you take up half the screen making it hard to see, it seems like this mode is super sloppy and frustrating to play in the version of Resident Evil, which sucks because I was really looking forward to playing some more mercs.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Maybe it's because I haven't played enough to find out how to do it well, but did they completely gimp the melee system from 5? Kneecapping and directional body shots don't seem to do anything at all, and most of the time the zombies don't even flinch. Characters seem to have only a couple melee moves, and not only do the downed enemy attacks not insta-kill enemies, half the time they miss. Is there a way to quick reload from the inventory during animations? It seems like the entirety of the melee system is mashing the melee button 3 times to do a generic combo.
Zombies are different than the ganados/J'avos or whatever. Zombies take more bullets and seem a bit tougher to stun them for melee. You can use the quickshot to stun any enemy close to you after which you can punch them, or you can try and go behind them to do an instant kill attack just like in RE5. Also on downed enemies, either equip a knife or try to stomp on their head, otherwise they won't die in one stomp. As for different moves, there are some contextual ones in which you can mash a zombie's head into a wall or kill them with their own weapons, and you can also counter most enemy attacks if you're good enough. Oh and no quick reload, though you don't need it since you can reload while running.

So yeah at this point it seems the game reeeally could have used a better tutorial or a manual or some poo poo like that. Personally I really enjoy having the chance to figure out mechanics by experimentation but it seems a lot of people get frustrated on not knowing how to play.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Picked up RE6 today, and played a bit of the single player story, but the camera and controls were pissing me off so much I decided to try mercenaries mode. I probably put hundreds of hours into mercenaries in 4 and 5, and it was the main reason I picked up this game mainly for it.

Add to this the camera is jammed up your characters rear end which makes you take up half the screen making it hard to see, it seems like this mode is super sloppy and frustrating to play in the version of Resident Evil, which sucks because I was really looking forward to playing some more mercs.

Melee is actually even more powerful but works completely different. Kneecaps and bodyshots don't set up anymore and instead, headshots and shoulder shots are what set up for melee finishers in 6. Don't approach it as RE5 and just try to grasp what it wants and you will see it click into place.

I think the biggest problem with RE6 is people trying to assume that it's just like gears of war or just like RE5 when it's nothing like anything really. It wants you to counter enemy swings and set up melee finishers. Guns are practically a last resort for killing and basic melee is only usable on a single dude or so. You have to stay so mobile with all the gun wielding enemies and they certainly give you the tools to stay mobile with dives and slides.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Honestly the combat is absolutely fine.

If RE6 has problems it is the heavy over-reliance on QTEs and its increasingly ridiculous story (which I still enjoy because I love stupid nonsense).

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

randombattle posted:

Melee is actually even more powerful but works completely different. Kneecaps and bodyshots don't set up anymore and instead, headshots and shoulder shots are what set up for melee finishers in 6. Don't approach it as RE5 and just try to grasp what it wants and you will see it click into place.

I think the biggest problem with RE6 is people trying to assume that it's just like gears of war or just like RE5 when it's nothing like anything really. It wants you to counter enemy swings and set up melee finishers. Guns are practically a last resort for killing and basic melee is only usable on a single dude or so. You have to stay so mobile with all the gun wielding enemies and they certainly give you the tools to stay mobile with dives and slides.

How do you dive and slide? Saw a couple youtube vidoes of people using it, but didn't see any immediate advantage to dropping down.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

How do you dive and slide? Saw a couple youtube vidoes of people using it, but didn't see any immediate advantage to dropping down.
Basically, dodging works by holding the aim button an then pressing A/X + direction. It's incredibly useful to learn how to use the dodge mechanic effectively, since just running around will get you killed real quickly. Also when you roll you can stay on the ground by holding the aim button, and then you can roll around on the ground by tapping left or right. Most enemies have trouble hitting downwards.

oh and you can slide by sprinting and then pressing the aim button.

smuh fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Oct 7, 2012

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Worth nothing that if you're playing as Jake using melee, you can also dodge left, right, and back while charging an attack (going forward flips you on your back), and if you're at a distance and start running towards an enemy after the charge, you also get one free dodge mid run animation that won't interrupt it.

Is there anything close to hard data on damage yet? I'm actually curious how much damage javo/zombie killer add in comparison to the melee/firearm bonuses. Also, critical chance works on melee too, right?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

smuh posted:

Zombies are different than the ganados/J'avos or whatever. Zombies take more bullets and seem a bit tougher to stun them for melee. You can use the quickshot to stun any enemy close to you after which you can punch them, or you can try and go behind them to do an instant kill attack just like in RE5. Also on downed enemies, either equip a knife or try to stomp on their head, otherwise they won't die in one stomp. As for different moves, there are some contextual ones in which you can mash a zombie's head into a wall or kill them with their own weapons, and you can also counter most enemy attacks if you're good enough. Oh and no quick reload, though you don't need it since you can reload while running.

So yeah at this point it seems the game reeeally could have used a better tutorial or a manual or some poo poo like that. Personally I really enjoy having the chance to figure out mechanics by experimentation but it seems a lot of people get frustrated on not knowing how to play.
I've lost track of the times my Right Trigger knife animation to a downed zombie was interrupted by them going from prone to dive tackling my crotch. My record is three times in a row. Stab finisher animation gets halfway (it can also take multiple knife stabs through the skull to kill a zombie), tackled to the ground, fight them off, get up, halfway through stab finisher animation, repeat. Crawling zombies are the biggest threat to me if I can't approach them from the back or side, which is often the case with so many forced narrow corridors or fallen luggage piles. So it's bullets or lose another chunk of my ankles.

Some generic labcoat zombies (on normal) didn't even fall to the ground after two point blank shotgun blasts to the face.

On the other hand, any zombie with a weapon (even dynamite) is easy pickings because you will get a guaranteed context kill if you double tap them in the head and then right trigger. That's right, armed zombies are LESS dangerous than unarmed ones.

Things get a bit easier once you get a feel for if you are at a point where zombies enemies are supposed to be fragile, or a point where it's supposed to be a tough. It's hard to explain. Also, ground stomps/knife finishers do more damage to the head and the game forces you to position yourself properly. try it from the back? You just step on or stab their ankles. Try it from the front? Zombie will grab you first half the time. Try it from the side? Sometimes head, sometimes chest.

Along those lines, has anybody Managed to kill the gas zombie in the Chapter 2 Church before everyone inside was dead? After 2 remote bombs, 3 incendiary grenades, using all my pistol ammo, and 12 shotgun blasts to the head with it still alive I just milled around until everyone was dead. Still took a load of shotgun blasts afterwards to actually kill it.

As for dive sliding, you press and hold Aim while you are running (keep run held down as well). If you have remote bombs equipped, it will place a remove bomb down when you hit the dirt to for max style.

I also keep getting grabbed anyways in a standing position, after I dive jump and hit the floor :sigh: I guess its tenth of a second right trigger context dodge or nothing on short notice (and those don't turn up for me while I'm aiming my gun).

I'm still having fun overall, and intend to finish the game. But the biggest "difficulty" the game has to me is that enemies are given priority for close combat with my run of luck. That's not even counting all the inert, can't be harmed zombies that don't activate with a lunge grab the second you pass or pick up an item with your back to them.

That loving college campus key :argh:

OxMan posted:

Is there anything close to hard data on damage yet? I'm actually curious how much damage javo/zombie killer add in comparison to the melee/firearm bonuses. Also, critical chance works on melee too, right?
I have no idea. I wish I knew because the only list of skills I've found online with some lazy searching said the Melee skill only works for melee weapons. Which would be lame.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Oct 7, 2012

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Quote not = Edit

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Section Z posted:

I've lost track of the times my Right Trigger knife animation to a downed zombie was interrupted by them going from prone to dive tackling my crotch. My record is three times in a row. Stab finisher animation gets halfway (it can also take multiple knife stabs through the skull to kill a zombie), tackled to the ground, fight them off, get up, halfway through stab finisher animation, repeat. Crawling zombies are the biggest threat to me if I can't approach them from the back or side, which is often the case with so many forced narrow corridors or fallen luggage piles. So it's bullets or lose another chunk of my ankles.
Yeah, honestly I just stay away from crawling zombies and wait for them to get up again before I bother to do anything. Or shoot a bullet or two into their heads. It can be worthwhile to stab them in the rear end while they're on the ground, though.

Section Z posted:

Along those lines, has anybody Managed to kill the gas zombie in the Chapter 2 Church before everyone inside was dead? After 2 remote bombs, 3 incendiary grenades, using all my pistol ammo, and 12 shotgun blasts to the head with it still alive I just milled around until everyone was dead. Still took a load of shotgun blasts afterwards to actually kill it.
Sure did! Even got a 'cheevo for having two survivors :cool: Basically just focused on shooting the fucker with a sniper rifle, shotgun and also used all my explosives. It's probably a big help to be playing in co-op.

E: Okay wow Chapter 4 of Chris' campaign was cool as hell. Got legitimately kinda scared in those dark corridors, being chased by loving Regenerators from RE4 :stonk: Also the vehicle parts have been pretty cool as well, even though you wouldn't think so.

smuh fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Oct 7, 2012

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'm playing as Piers in my co-op playthrough of Chris' campaign and I like the storyline a lot. However, I'm also playing with the assumption that Piers is Chris' illegitimate child who grew up and followed in his father's footsteps.

"CAPTAIN. CAPTAIN DAD. HURRY UP. DAD."

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I really wasn't feeling this game because I wasn't finding the gameplay that fun but it's getting a little better now that I've taken to having Leon constantly rolling and flopping around like a fish to avoid damage. One of the problems I had was that everything was hitting so hard and they could belly flop across the room to grab you and take off one bar of health even if you pass the grab QTE, meanwhile you do gently caress all for damage to everything. The ending of Leon's chapter 1 was such a clusterfuck because they jam you into a series of tiny rooms and pile a bunch of zombies of varying size and NPCs in there. Along with Leon taking up half of the screen himself I couldn't really see what the gently caress was happening.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Little Mac posted:

I'm playing as Piers in my co-op playthrough of Chris' campaign and I like the storyline a lot. However, I'm also playing with the assumption that Piers is Chris' illegitimate child who grew up and followed in his father's footsteps.

"CAPTAIN. CAPTAIN DAD. HURRY UP. DAD."

This is also how I played, though I was Chris, so it was more "Son, son come open this door. SON DON'T GET EATEN BY THAT J'AVO"

Mercs - How do you unlock more costumes/characters/whatevers? I saw some costumes on REnet is that the other ones?

^^^^^ you can also jump everywhere. It's THE way to play. Just dodge the gently caress out of everything, it uses no stamina either.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thievery posted:

This is also how I played, though I was Chris, so it was more "Son, son come open this door. SON DON'T GET EATEN BY THAT J'AVO"

Mercs - How do you unlock more costumes/characters/whatevers? I saw some costumes on REnet is that the other ones?

^^^^^ you can also jump everywhere. It's THE way to play. Just dodge the gently caress out of everything, it uses no stamina either.

S-ranking stages unlocks stuff.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

ImpAtom posted:

S-ranking stages unlocks stuff.

I figured that might be it. I'm terrible at it at the moment, the second bloodshots and the like appear I just die.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I hope they patch in a general inventory down the road. I want to swap weapons between characters and just load up Leon with all the magnums and grenade launchers. Then I want to see those guddamn leaping zombies come at me. :black101:

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Thievery posted:

I figured that might be it. I'm terrible at it at the moment, the second bloodshots and the like appear I just die.

Goad them into lunging at you and a counter attack is a fairly easy free kill, and also a 10 second bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
I really liked how Ada's campaign tied all of the others together. It's unfortunate her after credits cutscene basically says Capcom didn't have any ideas for her.