Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Fair 'nuff. It's just an odd question because there are a number of fighters who come from poor violent backgrounds--Tito Ortiz, for example. There have been a few guys marketed as "street fighters" based on the idea that they had no formal training and learned to fight in bars or whatever, like Tank Abbott. I don't think any of them enjoyed more success than Tank. Does Krazy Horse train with anybody?

I don't know anything about him beyond reading his Wikipedia entry and watching videos of him. Apparently his previous job before he became a fighter was dealing drugs, which he had to stop because he had a kid and didn't want to go to prison. If you were asking if he had any formal training, I don't know. My guess would be he probably trained some boxing when he was a drug dealer, which isn't that uncommon. These days I think he's with the Blackzilians, or something. I called him a street fighter mostly because his style is wild and sloppy and he probably got in literal street fights all the time, because he's a criminal and has serious personality disorders.

If you're defining "street fighters" as having no formal training then I don't think there are any known fighters like that. There's probably huge numbers of guys with 0-1 records in unsanctioned local fights, who thought that being a hockey goon or a bouncer was adequate preparation and got their faces caved in by another anonymous guy who wrestled in high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

red19fire posted:

Can someone explain who the Garv is? From what I can gather, I think he was a poster here that used SASMMA opinions and posts as articles on his website. It looks like he has a local NY/NJ MMA site.

He's annoying, unfunny, and a homophobe.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

red19fire posted:

Can someone explain who the Garv is? From what I can gather, I think he was a poster here that used SASMMA opinions and posts as articles on his website. It looks like he has a local NY/NJ MMA site.

I believe he was on what is now mma.tv forums from it's early days (as a website to sell 'The Fighter's Notebook' instructional) long before SA. I guess anyone who was involved in grassroots MMA at the time was on there and he made enough contacts to be person known in that local scene.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

1st AD posted:

He's annoying, unfunny, and a homophobe.

This is the wrong sport to be a homophobic fan of.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The best part of reading that thread is that even mobn was owning him.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

This is the best place to ask this I think. It is not so much about MMA as it is about we fans who post here.

While I totally understand what a "Herb" is, I don't know the etymology. Where did the word come from?

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.

Bluedeanie posted:

This is the best place to ask this I think. It is not so much about MMA as it is about we fans who post here.

While I totally understand what a "Herb" is, I don't know the etymology. Where did the word come from?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=herb

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Oh no, it's not even a PSP thing.

It's me, I'm the herb :smith:

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Where's mobn anyway

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

gimpsuitjones posted:

Where's mobn anyway

Banned, I think.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Last I heard, he was seen galloping into the sunset with his hips firmly lodged above his head. Or something like that.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Captain Log posted:

Last I heard, he was seen galloping into the sunset with his hips firmly lodged above his head. Or something like that.

Where in God's name did you get your avatar?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzGs-cdJskc

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

From the best film since Schindler's List.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Does anyone have any idea how much money was in fighting for K1 during the 1990s? Was Ernesto Hoost a millionaire at that time?

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
This is from the b-league thread but it's a historical question about MMA so I am posting it here.

-Atom- posted:

Public voting worked out really well when the UFC let people decide on the Fight of the Night

oh wait, no it didn't
When was this and how did it go?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Grifter posted:

This is from the b-league thread but it's a historical question about MMA so I am posting it here.
When was this and how did it go?

UFC 124, and the fans voted for GSP/Koscheck because Canadians are programmed to mash the vote button when they see GSP's name.

mewse
May 2, 2006

fatherdog posted:

UFC 124, and the fans voted for GSP/Koscheck because Canadians are programmed to mash the vote button when they see GSP's name.

:owned:

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DannoMack posted:

Does anyone have any idea how much money was in fighting for K1 during the 1990s? Was Ernesto Hoost a millionaire at that time?

Ernesto definitely...I believe the WGP title was worth around $300.000 back then, no idea how much they got to show.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

what is the gaudiest/best belt in combat sportz

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Oct 28, 2012

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

John Cena posted:

what is the gaudiest/best belt in combat sportz

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I just realized that the Super Hluk belt says, "Super Man" on it. Nice touch.

Edit: This one is especially gaudy when you take into account what they spent on the belt versus what they spend on their offices.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 28, 2012

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.
proper wamma display

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
Just make sure you don't confuse Wamma with the equally illustrious Yamma

Super Joe
Jun 22, 2012

I'm sorry for all the trouble I've caused.

It looks like some kid made that in their arts and crafts class.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Super Joe posted:

It looks like some kid made that in their arts and crafts class.

That's because that's literally what happened.

Super Joe
Jun 22, 2012

I'm sorry for all the trouble I've caused.
That means I have good eyes, then. :smug:

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The IFL snakeskin belt was the worst

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Who is Jamie Varner and why do the UFC monthly threads always include him in the champions as worthless or stupid or terrible?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

projecthalaxy posted:

Who is Jamie Varner and why do the UFC monthly threads always include him in the champions as worthless or stupid or terrible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUT8MPnAFrU

Former WEC champion, makes the worst excuses when he gets submitted, got hit in the nuts a lot by Kamal Shalorous, yet only managed to draw with him.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
at this point its really more of a legacy thing from when he was relevant enough to annoy. In hundred years it will be part of our creed for reasons no one can remember.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
So I was watching Frankie-Gray III, and I noticed that Rosenthal kept warning Gray to keep his fingers out of Frankie's face. He kept doing that thing that a lot of wrestlers do (Jon Jones especially) where you keep the fingers on your lead hand open and then thrust them at your opponent's eyes when he tries to move forward to punch you. The ref must have warned him a dozen times in four rounds to stop, but he never did, nor did Rosenthal ever deduct a point.

So, is that actually illegal, or was the ref just telling him to stop being a dick? If the ref warns you repeatedly not to do that, and you don't stop, would that be a DQ or just a no contest if you ended up stopping the fight by "accidentally" raking his eyes?

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

EvanSchenck posted:

So I was watching Frankie-Gray III, and I noticed that Rosenthal kept warning Gray to keep his fingers out of Frankie's face. He kept doing that thing that a lot of wrestlers do (Jon Jones especially) where you keep the fingers on your lead hand open and then thrust them at your opponent's eyes when he tries to move forward to punch you. The ref must have warned him a dozen times in four rounds to stop, but he never did, nor did Rosenthal ever deduct a point.

So, is that actually illegal, or was the ref just telling him to stop being a dick? If the ref warns you repeatedly not to do that, and you don't stop, would that be a DQ or just a no contest if you ended up stopping the fight by "accidentally" raking his eyes?

Well it is illegal, but the chances of someone actually getting punished for it are pretty low. Jake shields purposely clawed at GSPs eyes with open hands for their whole fight and didnt get any punishment for it

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I imagine that if it becomes a thing they'll start calling it more in fights and Dana might put some behind the scenes pressure to cut that poo poo out.

It may not be completely bad intentioned though, palming your opponents head is a legit tactic in wrestling, albeit it does sometimes turn into an eye gouge more than a push when dirtballs do it.

GO HOME GOON
Nov 1, 2012

WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK IT SHOULD BE

Xguard86 posted:

at this point its really more of a legacy thing from when he was relevant enough to annoy. In hundred years it will be part of our creed for reasons no one can remember.

In some bright wonderful future, someone in an MMA thread is asking where the whole "Feed Door" meme came from and no one will know.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Question about cutting for the GSP/Silva fight: If it's at 177.5 lbs catchweight, are they going to end up at the same relative weight for the fight? I'd imagine that GSP will put on some more muscle, and Silva will have to either cut more drastically (affecting his gas) or lose muscle/walking around weight.

So it should be a larger GSP vs. a smaller/exhausted Silva, probably at around 190 lbs each when they rehydrate? Or would the strategy be different?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

red19fire posted:

Question about cutting for the GSP/Silva fight: If it's at 177.5 lbs catchweight, are they going to end up at the same relative weight for the fight? I'd imagine that GSP will put on some more muscle, and Silva will have to either cut more drastically (affecting his gas) or lose muscle/walking around weight.

So it should be a larger GSP vs. a smaller/exhausted Silva, probably at around 190 lbs each when they rehydrate? Or would the strategy be different?

Silva used to fight at 167 back in the day, but weight cutting gets harder with age. Silva's cutting ability is the main question mark here. (He needs to hire Dolce.)

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
He's been as low as 182 in the last few years, so maybe he'd be able to hit 178 without much problem.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

1st AD posted:

He's been as low as 182 in the last few years, so maybe he'd be able to hit 178 without much problem.

I really think, after seeing Dolce Wizard's work, that he could get Anderson as low as he wants without hindering his performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Have there been any notable suicides in MMA? The Jovan Belcher story has got a lot of people talking about the correlation between traumatic brain injury and mental health again, (I don't follow football so I don't know many specifics on that argument in relation to the NFL, but it made me think about my favorite sport in which people punch-kick one another's heads a lot.)