Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

youwantsomewang
Sep 2, 2004

I went to the Canada Aviation and Space Museum yesterday and took about 50 photos. They're not fantastic since we were rushed but we got to do the guided tour of the secondary hangar and saw some really interesting stuff. Anyone interested in me posting them? I'm throwing them up on Imgur now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Pop them up, I'd enjoy seeing them.

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer
if you`re going to post su-25 videos at least post one with some action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my2oUCfP6nQ
12 minutes of frogfoots goofing around and doing CAS in Chechnya set to funky russian beats. Filmed by the pilots themself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUq8DKJkZsw much the same with the bonus footage of a plane thats taken a serious hit to one of the engines and still made it back to base

MacPac fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 8, 2012

youwantsomewang
Sep 2, 2004

Ottawa, Canada hosts the nation's largest aviation museum. I went there with my two great-uncles who are from Bavaria and are also massive aviation fans. I'll post the pics and try and caption them over the next few hours as I have to go celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving! Also, prepare to be pounded by images.

Mustang!

Our old Starfighters!

Harrier

Avro Arrow nose!

Always wanted to be a fighter pilot growing up and everyone told me I was too tall. It was only once I actually sat in that CF-18 cockpit that I knew it was true. I'm 6'1" and all legs apparently!

These next two are the Mark I and Mark II Avro Arrow engines.

These two guys are my great-uncles and they had some awesome stories about WWII. They hadn't seen some of these planes since 1948.

DC-3!!!

They had just gotten this from NASA a few weeks ago. The tour guide wasn't 100% sure what it was but she thought it was the mounting the space shuttles used to mount the CANADARM. Cool stuff!

The last remaining wingtips off the Avro Arrow!

This Junkers is apparently the last remaining in the world.

The tour guide said this is the same model as the plane they fly in Expendables!

Inside a Mosquito! This was awesome but my GalaxyNexus hates low light.

Hope you enjoyed them! I apologize for the quality of the shots.

youwantsomewang fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 8, 2012

GTi
Feb 1, 2006
16 valves of fury
Got a few photos and a couple of videos of my DC3 flight yesterday. Sorry for the poor quality, I forgot to take my camera so only had my cellphone with me. The videos aren't terribly interesting unfortunately. My friends and I hung around after the flight to take some pictures/discuss the awesomeness of the DC3 so the pilots were nice enough to give us another short ride across the airport from the boarding area to where the plane is stored. Strangely I found this more interesting than the flight itself as I got to stand in the cockpit as they started the engines and manoeuvred this beast around the taxiways. It was a pretty rough day and I nearly lost my lunch :( I wish I had got more video too.

Take off;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SZZm3ABYCI
Start up and taxi. I'm so jealous of these guys. I've flown a Cessna before but this looks like a million times more fun;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5T4UMeJL5M
Douglas DC3 NZ3546

In flight

MOTAT Aviation museum

Auckland city

Devonport naval base

:fap:

GTi fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 8, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

GTi posted:

Devonport naval base

Looks like the entire fleet is there

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I have a question that the museum pictures just made me think of: What do they do about planes and such with swastikas in Germany/other anti-Nazi iconography places?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Cygni posted:

Love that the description calls the SU-25 a 'light attack' aircraft.

If the SU-25 is LIGHT attack, with its 11 hard points and 10k lb ordnance load, is heavy attack just a nuke?

I'm not up to speed on the Russian equivalents, but the Warthog carries 16k lb in addition to The Gun and the Intruder had 18k pounds, and the Mudhen carries 23k pounds. Do we have a 5-ton-capacity attack plane? (edit: yes, original Hornet) Those seem like pretty good light/medium/heavy attack classes to me (more than that and it's a bomber, of course).

Edit: Though I suppose you're thinking of the Super Tucano/Cessna Dragonfly as "light" which would make the Hog/Intruder the heavies and the Mudhen a medium bomber. Depends on what you compare it to, I guess. Compare those to WWII/early Cold War bomber classes to see the march of technology.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 8, 2012

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I've seen photos of a ME-163 in a German museum with a swastika, but I can't find anything specifically discussing if there's an exception in the law that allows those symbols to be displayed in places like museums.

Trying to find anything about exceptions in the other countries with those kinds of laws is basically an exercise in futility, so hopefully someone here has a better answer than me.

GTi
Feb 1, 2006
16 valves of fury

dissss posted:

Looks like the entire fleet is there

Yep that's pretty much all of it :unsmith:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

AlmightyPants posted:

I have a question that the museum pictures just made me think of: What do they do about planes and such with swastikas in Germany/other anti-Nazi iconography places?

In Germany they usually get covered. The Smithsonian's Do-335 Pfiel that Slidebite teased us with was restored in Germany and displayed there for a while before coming back here. While in Germany it was displayed without a swastika.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

joat mon posted:

In Germany they usually get covered. The Smithsonian's Do-335 Pfiel that Slidebite teased us with was restored in Germany and displayed there for a while before coming back here. While in Germany it was displayed without a swastika.

Really? Because I am pretty sure the law in Germany makes exceptions if the swastika is displayed for "educational" purposes, which is a museum piece would fall under. Movies usually use that rule to get around having to censor swastikas. Games, however, have been denied the same status.

Although I can understand if a restoration workshop is a little apprehensive about painting a swastika on a plane, historical accuracy be damned.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

ArchangeI posted:

Really? Because I am pretty sure the law in Germany makes exceptions if the swastika is displayed for "educational" purposes, which is a museum piece would fall under. Movies usually use that rule to get around having to censor swastikas. Games, however, have been denied the same status.

Although I can understand if a restoration workshop is a little apprehensive about painting a swastika on a plane, historical accuracy be damned.

At least at the Deutsches Museum, if it was ever used as a civilian plane, it's in civilian livery. (e.g., their Ju-52, HE 111) If it was military only, no swastikas.

I expect physical objects that cannot be changed (coins, pictures, uniforms, etc.) can be dislopayed as is. But if you restore an aircraft, it's getting new paint anyway - so no swastika. Especially for the Pfeil - it had US markings at one point.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

PainterofCrap posted:

:flashfap: My all-time favoritist aircraft! :flashfap:

All for you.

click for slightly larger

:drat:

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I like aerospace museums as much as the next guy, but could we make it so this thread isn't a photo dump? It's hard scrolling through a bunch of photos that take a while to load. A few pictures and a link to the rest of the album should suffice.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Suicide Watch posted:

I like aerospace museums as much as the next guy, but could we make it so this thread isn't a photo dump? It's hard scrolling through a bunch of photos that take a while to load. A few pictures and a link to the rest of the album should suffice.

SHUT UP

edit: the first page, even the OP is chock full of images. That's why I come here. Not for the loving avro arrow debate.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Suicide Watch posted:

Nope.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Suicide Watch posted:

The Lame megathread is thataway BUDDY. I can understand the need for request for thumbnails, though.

Content: I learned of some crazy cold war tech recently, the TACAMO roll of the E-6 (mil 707):

Long story short, the military would drop a long antenna out the tail and fly steady circles over the ocean. Assuming steady inputs, the antenna would eventually stabilize at the center. Dipping this antenna into the ocean would create a ground plane and allow for communications with dormant submarines through the earth

quote:

Their resolution will provide the necessary survivable strategic command link to the submarine-launched leg of the strategic nuclear triad well into the future
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TACAMO
http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/systems/e-6.htm

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
Does anyone here know anything about the cabin lights in the Dash 8 Q400? I was flyig Porter the other day (regional-ish carrier in eastern canada) and I noticed there was some sort of signalling light on the roof of the cabin.

There were three lights: Amber for when someone hit the call button, green for pilot announcements, and red. Each time the red light came on one of the flight attendants would boot it to the front of the plane, I'm guessing it was just an indicator that the pilot wanted to talk to someone but I couldn't find the answer anywhere online..

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

It's good to see that Argus indoors. It was decaying outdoors for decades because they didn't have hangar space for it. Was the Northstar in there somewhere too?

I had an unusual aviation experience this weekend. I was working in the workshop and heard a loud airplane. When I went outside to look I saw a Harvard doing an Immelmann turn overhead. I watched it do five or six more in a row before it headed out of view.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Niven posted:

Does anyone here know anything about the cabin lights in the Dash 8 Q400? I was flyig Porter the other day (regional-ish carrier in eastern canada) and I noticed there was some sort of signalling light on the roof of the cabin.

There were three lights: Amber for when someone hit the call button, green for pilot announcements, and red. Each time the red light came on one of the flight attendants would boot it to the front of the plane, I'm guessing it was just an indicator that the pilot wanted to talk to someone but I couldn't find the answer anywhere online..

"Fasten Seat Belts, Flight Attendants Sit Down" I would imagine. I'm surprised they didn't announce it before takeoff...

GTi
Feb 1, 2006
16 valves of fury

Boomerjinks posted:

Mossie picture

Holy poo poo thats a sexy aeroplane. She was in the run up area warming up her engines when I was at Ardmore on Sunday. I assume they were going up to take the picture you posted.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Gullous posted:

The Lame megathread is thataway BUDDY. I can understand the need for request for thumbnails, though.

Content: I learned of some crazy cold war tech recently, the TACAMO roll of the E-6 (mil 707):

Long story short, the military would drop a long antenna out the tail and fly steady circles over the ocean. Assuming steady inputs, the antenna would eventually stabilize at the center. Dipping this antenna into the ocean would create a ground plane and allow for communications with dormant submarines through the earth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TACAMO
http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/systems/e-6.htm
It's not just cold war poo poo, they're still flying. It's part of US's nuclear deterrent: even if the russkies/chinese nuke all our shore-based LF/VLF sites (we have quite a few land sites doing the same thing), TACAMO can still give the launch order. The most powerful constantly operating radio transmitter in the world is owned by the US Navy for the sole purpose of sending signals to submerged submarines.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Anyone watching the Red Bull Stratos skydive record stuff later?

youwantsomewang
Sep 2, 2004

rocket_350 posted:

It's good to see that Argus indoors. It was decaying outdoors for decades because they didn't have hangar space for it. Was the Northstar in there somewhere too?

Actually, I didn't see the Northstar at all in either hangar. I had to look up the entry on Wikipedia (which has a picture of it rotting outdoors in Ottawa, go figure) to try and jog my memory.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Suicide Watch posted:

Photo dumps are awesome as long as they aren't stupid res and gently caress up tables

:colbert:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

grover posted:

It's not just cold war poo poo, they're still flying. It's part of US's nuclear deterrent: even if the russkies/chinese nuke all our shore-based LF/VLF sites (we have quite a few land sites doing the same thing), TACAMO can still give the launch order.

What I'm curious about is where he got the idea they dip the antenna in the ocean. Towing a 4-mile-long VLF antenna and letting it get anywhere near the surface is a great way to lose your antenna. The TACAMO aircraft would fly orbits, puttering along slightly above a stall speed, so the antenna could droop down and form a mostly-vertical spiral, it wouldn't dip the antenna in the water and that wouldn't be necessary for transmission.

It's just VLF, though, not ELF, it doesn't penetrate the earth itself (much) and it doesn't even go all that deep down into the ocean, if a sub's in the deep ocean it's not going to pick up a VLF signal. Hiding near the coast or somewhere shallow (and low-salt) like the Med, it could pick one up from a few dozen meters down.

quote:

The most powerful constantly operating radio transmitter in the world is owned by the US Navy for the sole purpose of sending signals to submerged submarines.

It was the most powerful because ELF is really inefficient, Seafarer took some megawatts of input power, it's own dedicated power plant, to radiate a few watts. It was dismantled about 10 years ago, the Navy doesn't have an ELF transmitter anymore. I don't know if the Russians still use theirs.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

grover posted:

It's not just cold war poo poo, they're still flying. It's part of US's nuclear deterrent: even if the russkies/chinese nuke all our shore-based LF/VLF sites (we have quite a few land sites doing the same thing), TACAMO can still give the launch order. The most powerful constantly operating radio transmitter in the world is owned by the US Navy for the sole purpose of sending signals to submerged submarines.

They're also the nicest 707s still flying, and the last ones off the line. They're based in Oklahoma (Tinker AFB), to be equidistant from both oceans.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003

Gullous posted:

"Fasten Seat Belts, Flight Attendants Sit Down" I would imagine. I'm surprised they didn't announce it before takeoff...

The red one only came on in flight, and it lit up probably 2-3 times. Didn't seem to coincide with anything abnormal like turbulence which is what made me curious... (that and it's always a little disconcerting to see a flashing red light combined with two flight attendants half running to the front of the plane)

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Godholio posted:

They're also the nicest 707s still flying, and the last ones off the line. They're based in Oklahoma (Tinker AFB), to be equidistant from both oceans.

While you're on Tinker, I am almost positive that was the base that had photos of a tanker taking off stitched together for Google Maps, resulting in the appearance of maybe 10 planes taking off 200 feet behind each other.

double edit: looks like it has been fixed, someone captured the images here and here, though.

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 9, 2012

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

When I was in OKC last summer I saw one doing low passes at OKC as I was leaving work. I had to look it up as I'd never seen one before.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
That looks like an E-3 taking off.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Boomerjinks posted:

While you're on Tinker, I am almost positive that was the base that had photos of a tanker taking off stitched together for Google Maps, resulting in the appearance of maybe 10 planes taking off 200 feet behind each other.

double edit: looks like it has been fixed, someone captured the images here and here, though.

Yeah, as mentioned, those were AWACS jets. We all got a kick out of that at work (I was an AWACS guy at Tinker until a few months ago). But there are tankers stationed there as well.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Uhhhh, pretty sure that thing on top is a fuel tank. It's painted like a runway so the planes land on it and refuel.

:negative:
Totally didn't look closely when I posted those.

Godholio I would read any book you might ever write about your AWACs experiences. You've posted too many times about things getting "zapped" or "fried" outside the plane for me to not be dying to hear stories.

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 9, 2012

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Saw something interesting on the internets the other day. The Planet Satellite

Experimental stressed magnesium immediately postwar design. The prototype crashed twice.

Reminds me considerably of the Bugatti 100p, which was a decade earlier and made of plywood. So I'm thinking I very much want to be at the maiden flight of that one, because there may not be an encore.

One of the Planet Satellite fuselages was rebuilt into an experimental helicopter...that also didn't work.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

youwantsomewang posted:

The tour guide said this is the same model as the plane they fly in Expendables!

They're close to right, the aircraft in the Expendables was a Widgeon, the big brother of the pictured Goose.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Gau posted:

They're close to right, the aircraft in the Expendables was a Widgeon, the big brother of the pictured Goose.

The Widgeon is the smallest of the Grumman amphibians. The one in-between the Goose and Albatross in size is the Mallard.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Niven posted:

It's not going to be online unless someone risks their job to post corporate training material, but it's a paging light for when the pilots need to talk to the attendants.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Boomerjinks posted:

Uhhhh, pretty sure that thing on top is a fuel tank. It's painted like a runway so the planes land on it and refuel.

:negative:
Totally didn't look closely when I posted those.

Godholio I would read any book you might ever write about your AWACs experiences. You've posted too many times about things getting "zapped" or "fried" outside the plane for me to not be dying to hear stories.

I can assure you there is *nothing* cool about AWACS. Godholio was an air battle manager. He's one of the better ones about not having a super-inflated sense of purpose, but still he can attest the jet and the mission are the antithesis of thrilling 99% of the time.

All of my cool stories about the jet involve nearly dying, harassing the ever-loving poo poo out of crew members on long sorties, disgusting things involving the lavatory, or controlling the path of farts through the mission crew compartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

HeyEng posted:

All of my cool stories about the jet involve nearly dying, harassing the ever-loving poo poo out of crew members on long sorties, disgusting things involving the lavatory, or controlling the path of farts through the mission crew compartment.

There are no other stories.

My last flight we had no nose-wheel steering at landing. Would've been interesting if our pilot wasn't decent enough to get lined up before the rudder stopped being useful...he actually didn't know about the lack of steering until after MX came out to pin the landing gears up on the runway (there were a series of issues leading up to landing), and we tried to taxi away. My last 3 flights were all in-flight emergencies.

There were some highlights, though.