Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Can someone reccomend me a decent torque wrench I could get at Sears or Home Depot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Can someone reccomend me a decent torque wrench I could get at Sears or Home Depot?

Husky tools are not a bad bang for the buck! But again, I am not very brand loyal, as I have a mix of HF, Craftsman, Husky and Kobalt in my tool box.

Besides Snap On, my 1/4 ratchet is taking a poo poo... any recommendations? I know I could just replace it with the craftsman warranty, but quite frankly, I am sick of craftsman ratchets.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I've had the standard Sears click style torque wrenches in 3/8 and 1/2 for years and they are just fine as compared against recently calibrated wrenches.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Husky tools are not a bad bang for the buck! But again, I am not very brand loyal, as I have a mix of HF, Craftsman, Husky and Kobalt in my tool box.

Besides Snap On, my 1/4 ratchet is taking a poo poo... any recommendations? I know I could just replace it with the craftsman warranty, but quite frankly, I am sick of craftsman ratchets.

I like the HF extendable ratchet--it has a 3/8 head on one side and 1/4 head on the other side. The action is nice and fine, and you can get a decent amount of torque on it when needed. http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-x-1-4-quarter-inch-dual-drive-extendable-ratchet-98802.html

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Motronic posted:

I've had the standard Sears click style torque wrenches in 3/8 and 1/2 for years and they are just fine as compared against recently calibrated wrenches.

Seconding this (if by "sears" he means "craftsman"), a friend of mine quit his job as a mechanic at a shop that supplied tools and had to borrow some tools from me when he started a new job. He compared my 1/2" drive craftsman against a coworker's snap-on and concluded it was every bit as accurate. TBH it seems clicker-type torque wrenches are well into the "pretty hard to gently caress up" territory.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Craftsman's thin profile ratchets aren't terrible, and I can't stand their regular ratchets also. For the price I'd look at gearwrench ratchets. I've got their older models (60tooth) and I'd recommend them. I've seen their newer stuff is 84 tooth and they have all the usual flex and handle models.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I have a Husky torque wrench for the high torque stuff and a Kobalt for the low torque stuff, since the first time I needed a torque wrench that went under 40 foot pounds I was closer to a Lowes than a Home Depot.

I found another thing HF didn't manage to gently caress up:

That's a pinion nut rusted in place on a rearend, we simply couldn't break it loose with the cordless impact and didn't have a compressor handy. Ended up not getting it loose with the HF breaker bar and a 3 foot cheater pipe, but I don't think anything short of an O/A torch, some penetrant, and an air impact was gonna do the job, since I was pulling up on the far end of the cheater pipe with everything I had and it didn't come loose.

Near as I can tell it stood up to at least 500 foot pounds, probably more like 600 or 700 based on how my back felt the next day.

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 1, 2012

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

velocross posted:

Craftsman's thin profile ratchets aren't terrible, and I can't stand their regular ratchets also. For the price I'd look at gearwrench ratchets. I've got their older models (60tooth) and I'd recommend them. I've seen their newer stuff is 84 tooth and they have all the usual flex and handle models.

Thanks, I think I will pick up a gearwrench ratchet. I already have the ratcheting wrenches, and they work extremely well.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

kastein posted:

I have a Husky torque wrench for the high torque stuff and a Kobalt for the low torque stuff, since the first time I needed a torque wrench that went under 40 foot pounds I was closer to a Lowes than a Home Depot.

That's a pinion nut rusted in place on a rearend, we simply couldn't break it loose with the cordless impact and didn't have a compressor handy. Ended up not getting it loose with the HF breaker bar and a 3 foot cheater pipe, but I don't think anything short of an O/A torch, some penetrant, and an air impact was gonna do the job, since I was pulling up on the far end of the cheater pipe with everything I had and it didn't come loose.

Near as I can tell it stood up to at least 500 foot pounds, probably more like 600 or 700 based on how my back felt the next day.

I remember playing this game on my 68 bug trying to remove the axle nuts. Soak that fucker with pb blaster. I kept soaking the axle nuts on my 58 every couple days whenever I was working on the car, and they actually came loose with -just- the breaker bar and not even that much effort. I was amazed.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Heh, make a propshaft with a socket instead of a flange on the end of it!

Or use a 3/4" drive bar, and jack the end of it up so you're using the weight of the truck.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kastein posted:

HF makes the best tools that have no moving parts.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm sure heating it up reasonably (read: at least cherry red) and then quenching it with PBblaster/deepcreep would get the job done, but realistically, it is a crusty chrysler 8.25 with 27 spline axle shafts and 3.55 gears. I have a chrysler 8.25 with a 29 spline carrier and 3.55s in it that a friend gave me for free, and he has spare 29 spline shafts and a set of disc brakes he wanted to swap on anyways, so we are going to put the new rearend together and install it tomorrow probably. It's just not worth loving around with the old axle when there's no real reason to keep it.

Yep... he's got "well while we're in there... might as well upgrade!" just as bad as I do.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm sure this has been asked before, but what's the best low profile jack I can get at harbor freight? I'd prefer one of the lighter weight ones it at all possible.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
What's the best vise I could ever hope to have, and then what vise should I actually buy? Priorities are weight, smoothness, and durability.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Anyone know of a store chain that carries this?

Only one I've been able to find is Fastenal, but they only sell it in cases of 12 @ $12.50/can. I'm helping my father in law restore his doctor's C1 Corvette and this is going through the decades' worth of oil and dirt automatic rust prevention clinging to the frame like a hot knife through butter. (He got it from work two years ago before retiring.)

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Geoj posted:

Anyone know of a store chain that carries this?

http://www.blastercorporation.com/Where_to_Buy_Citrus_Based_Degreaser.html

If you're going through that much you should be looking at liquids, not spray cans. Buy this, dilute to 5-10% and have at it.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Home Despot sells it also.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
If they do its not on their website (same for Grainger, and I've never heard of the other three stores PBB lists on their website.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Autozone, Advance Auto and O'Reilly's all carry it. Even my local Harbor Freight carries it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
McMaster has "Citrus Based Degreasers", $5.12/can (if you buy 12), $12.76/32-oz spray bottle, or $37.22/gallon. The website is awful and I can't link directly to the page, but just do a search for degreaser.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
A Wilton bullet, or any machinists vise made on the USA in the past hundred years. I've got a 3" althol that's massively smooth, very tough, and looks new even though it was forged in 1936.
Scour craigslist for a Prentiss, Wilton, Althol, Parker, Monarch, or any of a dozen other makers. Accept nothing with any structural damage (cracks, chipped jaws, bent slides, etc). You can find amazing amounts of info on the garage journal.

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

I have two 4" Parker vises that I was lucky enough to acquire that are in excellent shape. They are each as heavy as an 8" Yost is today. And the swivel base clamping arrangement is beautiful.

One minor problem with Parker vises is the shape of the jaw insert seat. It is made in such a way that replacement inserts must be made with a custom ground tool or on a shaper.

Chauncey fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 6, 2012

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
What is the best place to get a pressure bleeder kit? I will be using it on a variety of American and Asian vehicles.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Does anyone make a fluid transfer pump that isn't a towering inferno of poo poo?

I have three of them here, none of them work. The latest casualty was a piece of poo poo that lasted all of 5 minutes before dying spectacularly in a messy, smelly explosion of Amsoil 75w90 gear lube. I ended up gravity feeding the remainder of the fluid (about 80 percent of it) into the front diff through a broken syringe and a length of tubing.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PBCrunch posted:

What is the best place to get a pressure bleeder kit? I will be using it on a variety of American and Asian vehicles.

I've had a Motive power bleeder for years, they're widely available at online retailers. I got mine from Summit Racing mainly because I live within 10 minutes drive of their Ohio showroom and didn't want to wait for it to arrive. Amazon has the basic kit for $60, but if you're using it on multiple car types you'll need to buy their adapters.

There's also the quick & dirty option of buying a cheap garden sprayer, cutting off the sprayer end and threading a barb fitting onto a spare brake fluid reservoir cap.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Black88GTA posted:

Does anyone make a fluid transfer pump that isn't a towering inferno of poo poo?

I have three of them here, none of them work. The latest casualty was a piece of poo poo that lasted all of 5 minutes before dying spectacularly in a messy, smelly explosion of Amsoil 75w90 gear lube. I ended up gravity feeding the remainder of the fluid (about 80 percent of it) into the front diff through a broken syringe and a length of tubing.

Motive makes one that I happen to like. Its kinda like one one of the brake pressure bleeders with a j-hook on the end.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Geoj posted:

There's also the quick & dirty option of buying a cheap garden sprayer, cutting off the sprayer end and threading a barb fitting onto a spare brake fluid reservoir cap.
I don't see how it's "quick and dirty" when the motive kit is exactly the same thing. Hell, mine is even nicer, with a valve stem to use an air compressor instead of pumping it, and a pressure relief valve.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Lowclock posted:

Hell, mine is even nicer, with a valve stem to use an air compressor instead of pumping it, and a pressure relief valve.

What did you use as a base that came with a valve stem and pressure relief valve? Or did you just add them to a garden sprayer?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Geoj posted:

What did you use as a base that came with a valve stem and pressure relief valve? Or did you just add them to a garden sprayer?
The garden sprayer I got from home depot came with a little relief valve that pops open if you try to put more than like 2 bar in it or if you open it yourself, and I just drilled a little hole in the side and pulled a standard valve stem through.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
How much pressure do you need inside the pressure bleeder? Would a garden sprayer rated to 3 bars be enough?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
As far as I know it only needs about 10psi which is about 0.7 bar.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

bolind posted:

How much pressure do you need inside the pressure bleeder? Would a garden sprayer rated to 3 bars be enough?
I usually put like 15-18psi in mine. Anything more than that doesn't really make it go any faster, and you don't want to try turning your reservoir into a balloon.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Brigdh posted:

Motive makes one that I happen to like. Its kinda like one one of the brake pressure bleeders with a j-hook on the end.

Do you have a link or a model #? I looked around, couldn't find much. I ended up getting two of the $3.99 specials at HF because I need one right now :(. Got two because I know at least one of these will not work right.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The HF squishy-bulb-and-two-hoses transfer pumps work great on thin fluids like gasoline, water, ATF, and motor oil, but there's no way I'd want to use them on gear lube or 15W40.

For that, you want something like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/barrel-pump-45743.html

IIRC that is the pump I bought to do the diffs on my M54A2, not sure where it is now. Pumping 10 gallons of 75W140 GL-5 simply wasn't going to happen with anything else.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Black88GTA posted:

Do you have a link or a model #? I looked around, couldn't find much. I ended up getting two of the $3.99 specials at HF because I need one right now :(. Got two because I know at least one of these will not work right.

http://motiveproducts.3dcartstores.com/POWER-FILL-PRO-1-gallon_p_79.html

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

kastein posted:

The HF squishy-bulb-and-two-hoses transfer pumps work great on thin fluids like gasoline, water, ATF, and motor oil, but there's no way I'd want to use them on gear lube or 15W40.

For that, you want something like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/barrel-pump-45743.html

IIRC that is the pump I bought to do the diffs on my M54A2, not sure where it is now. Pumping 10 gallons of 75W140 GL-5 simply wasn't going to happen with anything else.

I'm not even bothering with the squishy bulb type pumps. I grabbed two of these since I had a coupon knocking them down to $3.99/each. They are the same type I had before though - one of them won't build pressure anymore, the other one the plunger all but seized in there. Both are now in the trash. The latest casualty was one of those ones that looks like a lotion pump that you screw onto the bottle.

The barrel pump looks a bit overkill for me, the diffs / transfer case / transmissions I'll be using it for range from 1.5 - 5 quarts. If I could find something like that in a size small enough to fit under a car / be used with quart size bottles, I'd be on it.

This looks pretty nice, kind of pricey though. I may pick one up if I can find a deal on it somewhere. Thanks for the link.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah I hear you there. None of the cheap plastic junk ones really handle gear lube... I gave up and when I need to do a diff on a small vehicle I just put the unopened bottle of gear lube in a sinkful of hot water for a while immediately before using it to thin the lube as much as possible. It still sucks, but at least it isn't quite as bad.

Another trick is to put the fluid in sandwich bags, chill them in the freezer, then stack them in the differential as quickly as you can and put the cover back on. When you start driving the car again the bags get torn to shreds and powdered by the ring and pinion. I am not sure I would use this trick on a limited slip diff or a torsen and it clearly won't work on a transmission/transaxle, but it works great otherwise.

For transmissions in rwd/4wd vehicles, you can sometimes pop the shifter boot and shifter out and fill the transmission through the shift tower. I leave the fill plug off the side while doing this so I can see when it is full.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

kastein posted:

Another trick is to put the fluid in sandwich bags, chill them in the freezer, then stack them in the differential as quickly as you can and put the cover back on. When you start driving the car again the bags get torn to shreds and powdered by the ring and pinion. I am not sure I would use this trick on a limited slip diff or a torsen and it clearly won't work on a transmission/transaxle, but it works great otherwise.

:catstare: Is this a thing people actually do?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's a trick used by offroaders to avoid spilling gear lube when doing trail repairs on a diff, but I can't say as I know of anyone else using it. Obviously the freezer part can't be done offroad.

I had the same reaction. Apparently a little very thin plastic bag simply gets shredded instead of clogging everything up like I would expect.

Another trick: bring disposable aluminum baking pans to use as impromptu gear oil catch pans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Got an old rubbermaid tub you don't like? Cut it down a little and it makes a great catch pan as well. I have one I can't find the lid for any more, and I couldn't find my regular catch pan. So out came the saw-zall and a couple of minutes later I have a catch pan.