Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
This gorgeous thing just arrived for less than 10 dollars all in from Amazon:

Lava Children - S/T

The band had me at the first time I heard The Green Word off their debut EP, with that otherwordly Jefferson Airplane-y sound, but songs like Tree Speak 2, Cave and The Kraken's Daughter (from this album) really drove home that these guys are just great.

And that vinyl is gorgeous.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Dopesmoker by Sleep is up for preorder on Amazon if you missed it...like I did last time. Only 26 bucks.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Lava Children - S/T

That album is fantastic.

I saw Menomena last night and picked up the Friend and Foe LP that I didn't yet have a physical copy of. I forgot that the album art on this release was freaking awesome with it's cut out graphics and spinning wheel inside.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I Might Be Adam posted:

That album is fantastic.

Somebody else who likes Lava Children, yay!

Yeah, it really is.

quote:

I saw Menomena last night and picked up the Friend and Foe LP that I didn't yet have a physical copy of. I forgot that the album art on this release was freaking awesome with it's cut out graphics and spinning wheel inside.

It's really cool and well done. I asked them to sign my copy of F&F and I Am The Fun Blame Monster and they're just really nice people.

I only have the second pressing of IATFBM so sadly it's not as elaborate as the first pressing, which was a giant origami pop up dragon face that literally vomited out your white vinyl record when opened.

Seriously, that's inspired.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Yeah, back when I saw them on the F&F tour, I bought a poster from them and Brent signed it. I could have had Justin sign the LP last night but it was late and it was towards the end of the night, you could tell they were exhausted. Super nice group of guys and even though Brent isn't in the band anymore, they still put on a great show and I like the new album. It's definitely more of a rock album.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I've only listened to 'Moms' in passing and it definitely felt different, but it's getting pretty good reviews as far as I know so I should really dive into it one of these days.

Cracky
Feb 11, 2007

are you one of those guys who likes big fatties and the big fatties have got big fatty dildos in their nose and they barf and they barf and its so gross.
Not sure whether I should :nws: this, but please tell me if I do.

mod edit: yes you should, but I'll just link it

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/Lu2eO.jpg

the infamous 'nww list'

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 6, 2012

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Cot drat.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Harry Privates posted:

Dopesmoker by Sleep is up for preorder on Amazon if you missed it...like I did last time. Only 26 bucks.

Nice. I can get it from Amazon instead of waiting 8 months for it to arrive from SL.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I didn't know there was a thread for people who liked to spend hours at goodwill! I've been buying records at goodwill/halfprice (used book/music store) for 10 years now or so, got started in college because it was cheap, and got most of what I've got for around 25-50cents. Stopped for a while, but killed a few hours yesterday at goodwill and I forgot how much I loved music so cheap that I'd buy something with an interesting cover.

The latest haul:

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
Couple new ones for me this week:

The new Mountain Goats, and picked up Visions at a show last weekend. I really like the new TMG album, but was sad to not get any pre-order swag.

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 6, 2012

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Lava Children - S/T

The band had me at the first time I heard The Green Word off their debut EP, with that otherwordly Jefferson Airplane-y sound, but songs like Tree Speak 2, Cave and The Kraken's Daughter (from this album) really drove home that these guys are just great.

That album is really great, definitely one of my favorites of the year. It almost sounds like this sort of weird mix of exotica and 90s Radiohead to me?

Here's what I got today:

Kind of a bummer that the only copy of it that the store got (that they special ordered just for me) came pretty beat and bent up and the records are both slightly warped. Also, I wish it was 45rpm like the original release of InnerSpeaker was.

Oh, well. Amazing album.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Cracky posted:

http://i.imgur.com/Lu2eO.jpg

the infamous 'nww list'

Woaaaahhhhhh. That's amazing!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 6, 2012

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012

Cracky posted:

mod edit: yes you should, but I'll just link it

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/Lu2eO.jpg

the infamous 'nww list'

Oh my gooood :swoon:

This is the coolest haul in this thread so far. Urgh

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

After MCA died I played my old copy of Licensed to Ill (my parents got it for me as a Christmas present the year it came out) and my girlfriend, who has never liked any hip hop, takes to it immediately. Now she knows almost all the words to Paul's Boutique, my favorite of their records.

Licensed to Ill is the only one I had on vinyl, so for her birthday I'm buying her Some ol Bullshit, Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head, Ill Communication, Hello Nasty, and the last one, Hot Sauce 2. I almost never buy new vinyl these days so its going to be cool for me too :v:

I was going to get To the 5 Boroughs, but can't find a copy for less than $50 or so and I had the impression that it wasn't so hot.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Snowy posted:

Some ol Bullshit, Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head, Ill Communication, Hello Nasty, and the last one, Hot Sauce 2

That is a remarkably awesome birthday gift. I've never been able to find Hello Nasty on vinyl at any shops... is it still in print? Didn't it just get re-mastered a couple years back?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

thathonkey posted:

That is a remarkably awesome birthday gift. I've never been able to find Hello Nasty on vinyl at any shops... is it still in print? Didn't it just get re-mastered a couple years back?

Yeah, there's a reissue. I'm fairly certain that the original copies fetch high prices.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Found out the place I used to go in college is closing and moving and was having a pretty awesome sale (50% off). This combined with the clearance rack made me do some bad bad things. I think I picked up 35-40 records and was out the door for around $20, all in decent condition.

Now the long process of peeling those dang price tags off.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

thathonkey posted:

Thanks, yeah I can't wait to give them to her, she's going to flip.

Yeah, Hello Nasty is a reissue, only around $18 or so. I'm happy that a number of the ones I ordered are gatefold 2lp, one is a 10", there's a few color vinyl, etc. It's fun to support her listening habits with cool records :3:

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

Snowy posted:

Thanks, yeah I can't wait to give them to her, she's going to flip.

Yeah, Hello Nasty is a reissue, only around $18 or so. I'm happy that a number of the ones I ordered are gatefold 2lp, one is a 10", there's a few color vinyl, etc. It's fun to support her listening habits with cool records :3:

My partner wont let me buy her records anymore ha. I always put a lot of thought into what I got her, but after a few years its gotten repetitive

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
I tried once, and got the old

"I love you, I love your vyinals collection, but I'm not really fussed either way so pretty much don't bother."

And I don't.

e: That came out looking rather nasty, it was meant to be more nonchalant.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah well if you are a collector yourself and your SO isn't then it will likely be construed as "thanks for getting me a gift that is clearly for you"

To contribute: I picked up J Dilla - Donuts (finally). Unfortunately it seems side A has a scratch or something causing some loud noise during the first 5-6 tracks :( Sigh. Maybe I'll try and get a copy with the original cover...

Nosferatu Man
Nov 10, 2008
I just finished my personal King Crimson collection. Everything up to and including Discipline. I haven't heard anything past Discipline; would it be worth finishing the collection properly? Having just heard Starless and Bible Black for the first time yesterday, I must say, favorite band.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I completely missed the fact that a pre-order went up for an expanded vinyl release of Califone's Sometimes Good Weather Follows Bad People.

First 300 copies come on translucent blue vinyl, so that's pretty cool.

You can get it here.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Nosferatu Man posted:

I just finished my personal King Crimson collection. Everything up to and including Discipline. I haven't heard anything past Discipline; would it be worth finishing the collection properly? Having just heard Starless and Bible Black for the first time yesterday, I must say, favorite band.

Kinda late now, but I had a dream last night that involved Nosferatu, and as I was going to the shower I thought of the Slint song. It was bizarre to open this thread in the morning and see that you were the last person to reply...

Picked up the new Xiu Xiu Graveface charity single. Kind of wish I had known about the option of another color in the triple pack from their site. Don't really know the other bands, though.

Also, Xiu Xiu's "Quagga" single is great. I'm an analog synth nerd, so I love those sounds.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Here's some cool stuff I've gotten this week:

The Black Angels - Passover [1st pressing]
Lil Jon and the East Side Boyz - Crunk Juice
Ty Segall - Twins
Dinosaur Jr. - I Bet On Sky

The cover of the Black Angels album is embossed and looks/feels really cool. The reissue (which I have) just uses a standard tip-on jacket.

I had to get that Lil Jon album just for this ridiculous song.

Butch Otter
Jan 24, 2003

Nosferatu Man posted:

80-84 King Crimson is the best King Crimson to me. The red/yellow/blue covers are really good looking too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I had another record bonanza. I was going to post a picture, but for some reason I can't upload anything to an image host right now. So here's the list:

MC5-Back in the USA (reissue)
Neil Young-American Stars n Bars
AC/DC-Powerage
The Clash-Sandinista
Tom Waits-Bone Machine
Bob Dylan-Blonde on Blonde
s/t-The 13th Floor Elevators (reissue)
David Bowie-The Man Who $old the World
s/t-The Smiths (reissue)

I also recently received a 7" and a 12" that contain the very first performances of the White Stripes from the Third Man Records Vault.

All you Mass/RI people should check out Sunset Records in Somerset, MA.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

This is probably the dumbest and most pointless box set I've ever seen:

http://piratespressrecords.com/rancid/

I mean, I think Rancid are alright, but does the world really need 178,000 more Rancid 7"s? And Rancid-branded baseball bats?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Hey do any of you know any sites where I can still buy those Birthday Party reissues that can out fairly recently?

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007

Surfingelectrode posted:

Ty Segall - Twins

The cover of the Black Angels album is embossed and looks/feels really cool. The reissue (which I have) just uses a standard tip-on jacket.

Want that Ty album so bad!

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

Surfingelectrode posted:

Ty Segall - Twins

Does it have this version?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx_E4rfFkGs

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Surfingelectrode posted:

This is probably the dumbest and most pointless box set I've ever seen:

http://piratespressrecords.com/rancid/

I mean, I think Rancid are alright, but does the world really need 178,000 more Rancid 7"s? And Rancid-branded baseball bats?

I've never thoroughly disagreed with any statement made ever in my life.

I might get the Life Won't Wait pack, since I don't have that on vinyl, and that is probably their best album.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
As is typical of Record Store Day, local stores are promoting it instead of the site. One store has what appears to be a tentative list for the "Black Friday" release:
http://www.bullmoose.com/rel/v2_home.php?storenr=258&deptnr=237

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

I've never thoroughly disagreed with any statement made ever in my life.

I might get the Life Won't Wait pack, since I don't have that on vinyl, and that is probably their best album.

I think a normal LP box set could have been nice (like that Bad Religion one from a year or two ago), but 46 7"s is just retardedly excessive, and the 28 different configurations just scream collector scum bait to me.

I like Life Won't Wait, but I don't really want to have to flip 12 sides just to listen to it.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
That Bad Religion set made me lament owning almost all of their stuff already. They really should have repressed Into the Unknown for sale by itself.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Cheesus posted:

As is typical of Record Store Day, local stores are promoting it instead of the site. One store has what appears to be a tentative list for the "Black Friday" release:

Gotta get me that Moonrise Kingdom LP

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Got a few new things in.

Found it at a thrift shop for fifty cents, and it's in pretty good shape, so I couldn't pass it up.

I've never actually looked inside this album, so I never knew about the little booklet. Beyond this page it just continues the lyrics the booklet blocks off when opened.

Again, a cheap thrift store find. Don't know if I'll ever actually use it for anything, but the three records are in very good condition, and the art is pretty cool.

This just arrived today. I didn't even realize there was a vinyl of this album coming out until this past weekend. Came out yesterday, and Amazon got it to me real fast.

The gatefold has some cool art. Left.

And right.

The vinyl is colored and marbled and comes in black sleeves. The marbling is a little hard to make out in this picture on the first blue disc.

But the marbling on the second grey disc comes out a lot clearer.

The liner notes have some pretty cool art on them. The first disc's.

And the second disc's.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cheesus posted:

Normally I would scoff at this like a hipster, but they're putting out an offical release of the Velvet Underground and Nico acetate version. I wonder if it's going to have any better sound than the bootlegs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Does the Black Friday RSD happen outside the US? We don't have Black Friday here but I want some of those :(