Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Real men invent Gun Powder and create armies of floppy hatted poncy Renaissance musketeers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Switching between Crusader Kings 2 and MW2 makes me sad. Both games are great in their respective fields yet they will never touch each other. :(

az
Dec 2, 2005

I'd still play MW1 to this day if it wasn't such a bitch to get running.

:swoon: Heavy Janissaries :swoon:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Switching between Crusader Kings 2 and MW2 makes me sad. Both games are great in their respective fields yet they will never touch each other. :(

Until I win the lottery, and buy and combine both studios!

I like to dream, okay?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I believe the succession rules were spelled out in the manual, at least a little. Essentially the king's brothers can take the throne if he dies without an heir, but once someone gets to being an uncle they aren't part of the line of succession any more.

With regards to the risk map, I kind of like it because it feels a lot less gamey - ordering your general to go take over the next territory (and letting him deal with the strategic minutae of where to cross the river or whatever) actually seems like something a king would do. While the Rome map gives you more strategic control in that regard, having every other army stand still while your own troops move around is a little odd.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Olive Branch posted:

Army and general :words:
Hey folks, I'm done with that video I was talking about, if you want to play some more matchmaker FOTS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ban8ry8RwDM

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

Olive Branch posted:

Hey folks, I'm done with that video I was talking about, if you want to play some more matchmaker FOTS.

Do you like FOTS over the vanilla game? I enjoyed it for a few months but the gunz vs gunz thing got tiresome and I remember the game had a lot of issues with gun units making high level play a matter of who can abuse the most bugs while avoiding others such as the issues with LoS. After the latest DLC came out with the hero units I played the base game for a while again and really enjoyed it more than FOTS. Fights where less about LoS and positioning in forests, and more about maximizing the units you brought and looking for weaknesses in the opponents army.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I'm kinda weird in that I actually enjoy playing vanilla vs. FOTS armies, especially at the lower levels.

Nothing cracks me up more than the rage that is emitted from players as their precious gunlines are overrun by my hordes of lovely loanswords and mass cavalry.

That or sitting behind a hill and raining arrows on them from out of their LOS.

The only thing that sucks is how much better the FOTS general skill trees are over the vanilla ones.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Olive Branch posted:

I like how you completely forgot about a unit of bears and left them behind in the last battle and still won. Great video.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Zettace posted:

I like how you completely forgot about a unit of bears and left them behind in the last battle and still won. Great video.

He didn't forget them, They were in reserve.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Joink posted:

Do you like FOTS over the vanilla game? I enjoyed it for a few months but the gunz vs gunz thing got tiresome and I remember the game had a lot of issues with gun units making high level play a matter of who can abuse the most bugs while avoiding others such as the issues with LoS. After the latest DLC came out with the hero units I played the base game for a while again and really enjoyed it more than FOTS. Fights where less about LoS and positioning in forests, and more about maximizing the units you brought and looking for weaknesses in the opponents army.
I feel they're both essentially different games, but at the moment I do enjoy FOTS a bit more than vanilla because there's less... I want to say "gimmickry" as brought upon by DLC like Naginata Attendants, and from some seriously overpowered and downright annoying DLC random drop retainers like World Weary.

I've started a second avatar in vanilla Shogun and have had my share of defeats facing higher level players with veterans and units I did not have yet, and while I accept those losses I do find I need to basically relearn to play the game and find ways to get around popular tactics like Hold Firm Yari Ashigaru and Attendant bullet shields. I am also a bit sore about the constrictive veteran slot system when some "old guard" players got like 300+ to play around with. Not much room to experiment there!

Ironically I seem to play FOTS like a vanilla general would, with an emphasis on melee combat and supporting firing line. Archers in vanilla sometimes feel underpowered given their price when I could brig some more sword or spear units. All in all I do like both, but I need to relearn how to play... And give us back the no cap on ninjas, CA! At least make the cap 6 and make Monomi Spy a retainer the enemy can't see!

Edit: Yeah those Black Bears were pretty much forgotten, and the Ninjas were just an annoyance at best. I am totally good at managing ~2000 koku's worth of units I swear! :downs:

Edit 2: I also want to add that winning battles in vanilla feels a hell of a lot more satisfying than in FOTS, probably because so many battles are down to the wire and very close. Can't wait until I have a veteran army in place! Most may just have 2 attack and that's it, because I love big armies!

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 6, 2012

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Vanilla Shogun 2 multiplayer does seem a bit heavy infantry focused right now: common armies you'll see highly-ranked players using usually have quite a few level six no-dachis/naginatas and builds involving level nine banzai naginatas are not uncommon at all. And though this makes sword builds quite powerful it's quite difficult to do so without Blade Master. I still prefer it to FotS though.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Does anyone know why the Campaign map for Empire causes my graphics card to spike like 30 degrees Celsius? It actually deals with battles better,there is just something about the campaign map that turns it into a heater.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is it normal for units in Shogun 2 with several waypoints on the Campaign map, to lag so much when moving?

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is it normal for units in Shogun 2 with several waypoints on the Campaign map, to lag so much when moving?

I've never seen it happen, but the most waypoints I tend to ever set is around 3, so I'm not sure.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Man Whore posted:

Does anyone know why the Campaign map for Empire causes my graphics card to spike like 30 degrees Celsius? It actually deals with battles better,there is just something about the campaign map that turns it into a heater.

Mine used to do this in my old graphics card. Do you have an nvidia? You could try getting new drivers.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I started Medieval 2, and I'm pretty sure it's my favorite. One thing though. WHAT THE gently caress POPE?! I can never attack more then 1-2 cities before I have to stop and declare a ceasefire, but then France attacks me, I counter by moving a giant loving block into Paris, and the Pope tells ME to stop all hostilies or be excommunicated? gently caress you very much.

That's actually pretty par for the course with papal authority in the middle ages. Though really I'm just a huge fanboy for the pope and wish the rest of the Total War games had something half-approaching papal gameplay. It added a level of "poo poo to consider" that not even Rome, the glorious beautiful bastard that it is, couldn't match.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I figured the Pope out. Just spam priest, have 7 cardinals and take the Pope every time.

What's the best Muslim race to play as? All I have so far are the Moors.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

I know you probably didn't mean to say it this way, but drat does it sound really offensive.

Anyway, for the Islamic factions, you get the Moors, the Turks, and the Egyptians (Fatimids). The important thing to consider is how you define "best":

The Moors get to take on Spain and Portugal, but fortunately they're both on the same front. The bad news is that Sicily tends to be real aggressive, and will eventually open up a second front in North Africa if you can't secure Iberia fast enough or keep their navy down.

The Turks have Byzantium to the west and Egypt to the south. Since you're both fellow Muslims, you might be able to secure an alliance with them, which means you can focus on renaming Constantinople. If not, you'll be in a tough spot since the terrain will make getting reinforcements to either front difficult.

The biggest things to consider as the Turks is that your position leaves you to the mercy of BOTH the Mongols and the Timurids. I'd say the Turks are probably the most difficult faction to play in the game because of this.

Egypt starts off in its own corner of the world, but will definitely be the number one crusade target since it's right beside Jerusalem. Like with the Moors, Sicily can eventually become a threat if it chooses to go right from Tripoli; be assured however that Crusaders will take both land and sea to get at you once you own the Holy Land.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Note that like in Rome, Egypt is loving rich and playing as the Egiptians is like having a sugar daddy financing your world conquers.

It's the best faction to start the game with.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

So is Empire or Napoleon the over-all better game? I know Empire had loads of problems, but I also heard it got some solid modding done to it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Napoleon by far.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

The biggest things to consider as the Turks is that your position leaves you to the mercy of BOTH the Mongols and the Timurids. I'd say the Turks are probably the most difficult faction to play in the game because of this.

If you can be bothered to relocate, though, the Turks lose their major disadvantage. Try setting up shop in Ireland or Benelux. Either works well, given that your new neighbours are in no way prepared to deal with your troop roster.

The Turks hemorrhage money at the start of the game anyway, so you're only hastening the inevitable debt-crisis. Also, the ridiculously twisty terrain means it's unlikely all of your cities/castles will be attacked before you've got a new home. If you do this, get a couple of Merchants up first and drop them off with instructions to head to Timbuktu while you're sailing past.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Faffel posted:

So is Empire or Napoleon the over-all better game? I know Empire had loads of problems, but I also heard it got some solid modding done to it.

I'd go Napoleon, It is a lot more focused with...well, everything. Plus it has some equally good if not better mods for it.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'd go Napoleon, It is a lot more focused with...well, everything. Plus it has some equally good if not better mods for it.

Cool, thanks. I'm really glad I bought the TW pack. Such good games.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!
I got the pack myself having never played Empire or Napoleon. But I really want to give Empire a fair try before moving on. I'm having fun with it, but it just feels so slow in comparison to the other games, both in gameplay and performance (even compared to Shogun 2). It just seems to take forever to get anything accomplished, that on top of the long wait in between turns thanks to there being a couple dozen different factions that I have to sit through.

Maybe it's because I'm playing as France where there doesn't seem to be any central focus due to it's territory being spread around. I kinda want to try out a central european country but I'm not sure which one would be good for someone who's still new to the game.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Phlairdon posted:

I got the pack myself having never played Empire or Napoleon. But I really want to give Empire a fair try before moving on. I'm having fun with it, but it just feels so slow in comparison to the other games, both in gameplay and performance (even compared to Shogun 2). It just seems to take forever to get anything accomplished, that on top of the long wait in between turns thanks to there being a couple dozen different factions that I have to sit through.

Maybe it's because I'm playing as France where there doesn't seem to be any central focus due to it's territory being spread around. I kinda want to try out a central european country but I'm not sure which one would be good for someone who's still new to the game.

Try Russia, You just need gently caress over the Swedes quickly and get the Crimea in the first 30 turns.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Phlairdon posted:

Playing colonial empires in ETW is a slow process, you have multiple maps that you have to flip through and move ships/dudes around in. It's definitely not great for beginners or if you don't want to put in a large time investment.

Also think about getting Darthmod. If you can get through the insufferable star wars themed launcher and main menu its actually a really solid compilation of all the best Empire mods. But yeah, try playing a continental power first, then go for France/UK/Netherlands/Spain when you're ready for a heavier campaign.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Maratha Confederacy is not a bad starting group either, since you'll be rolling in cash by the time you've secured the majority of India. Being able to just buy whatever you want whenever you want really helps speed the game up.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Also nothing is more satisfying in Empire than capturing Quebec in the Revolution campaign. The United States of North America is just so much more satisfying. Can't burn down the white house now,can you 14th state? :smug:

No I'm not bitter,why do you ask?

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Man Whore posted:

Also nothing is more satisfying in Empire than capturing Quebec in the Revolution campaign. The United States of North America is just so much more satisfying. Can't burn down the white house now,can you 14th state? :smug:

No I'm not bitter,why do you ask?

I liked taking the Cherokee and kicking the Europeans out of North America. I got your Trail of Tears right here.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

That also works. Reenacting history as it happened is boring.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Turks have a pretty good roster for Mongol and Timurid hunting though. Pro-tip naffatun exist for two reasons: holding bridges, and elephant barbeques.

Also, all Sipahi armies set to skirmish mode with a little micro can roll most European army. Pounce on weak and isolated units, plink away until you're out of arrows, and even when you do, hey, you've still got a stack of reasonably competent heavy cavalry!

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Kalos posted:

Maratha Confederacy is not a bad starting group either, since you'll be rolling in cash by the time you've secured the majority of India. Being able to just buy whatever you want whenever you want really helps speed the game up.

Plus, shitloads of elephants that you can load on boats and send to North America to fight the Iroquois, because why not?

Despite the bugs and the waiting between turns, I like Empire better than Napoleon just for the huge three-continent map and trade theaters. Empire feels like a real epic conquer the world experience, where Napoleon, while still a great game, feels more like a snapshot of a very specific time and place.

SpaceViking posted:

I liked taking the Cherokee and kicking the Europeans out of North America. I got your Trail of Tears right here.

It's a shame there's no way to get boats for the American Indian tribes. I'd love to take a war like that to European shores.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Just curious for anyone still playing Empire or Napoleon. A while back I would play out (yes, I know) sieges in Empire. Just have a gigantic stack of line infantry and some cavalry and like 4-6 cannons against a fort. Now, I guess I just had time to burn, but I would just sit there and let the cannons basically knock out any possible wall segments before streaming in.

Problem is for some reason the game just goes into a slideshow. The thing though is, the camera and everything else - mouse, UI, are as responsive as if it were 60 fps but the units in the world are moving at like 2 frames, even on the higher speeds and even normal. Is there some kinda of pathfinding bug or something? Because as soon as I can get units inside the fort and they start fighting the problem kinda fixes itself.

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012

Flippycunt posted:

Playing colonial empires in ETW is a slow process, you have multiple maps that you have to flip through and move ships/dudes around in. It's definitely not great for beginners or if you don't want to put in a large time investment.

Also think about getting Darthmod. If you can get through the insufferable star wars themed launcher and main menu its actually a really solid compilation of all the best Empire mods. But yeah, try playing a continental power first, then go for France/UK/Netherlands/Spain when you're ready for a heavier campaign.

For the love of god though, just download darthmod 6.2 and patch it up to 7.0. Get the fife and drum mod as well if you feel like marching your dudes off to certain doom while playing whimsical tunes.

Having played 8.0 for a day I swiftly went ahead and booted that poo poo off of my hard drive.

- Like having Star Wars rammed down your throat? Well, you're gonna get twice as hard this time.
- Do you have problems reading size twelve font on your computer monitor? You're in luck then, because your only UI font size choices seem to be: big, bigger, stupid, and Hans Moleman. Try as I might, I wasn't able to uncheck any of these options.
- Dagestan, pittbull of the Caucasus.

Now that Darth has run away and taken all of his toys with him, I don't see 8.0 getting updated or patched anytime in the near future either. You might as well give Imperial Splendor a shot too while you're at it.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Sober posted:

Just curious for anyone still playing Empire or Napoleon. A while back I would play out (yes, I know) sieges in Empire. Just have a gigantic stack of line infantry and some cavalry and like 4-6 cannons against a fort. Now, I guess I just had time to burn, but I would just sit there and let the cannons basically knock out any possible wall segments before streaming in.

Problem is for some reason the game just goes into a slideshow. The thing though is, the camera and everything else - mouse, UI, are as responsive as if it were 60 fps but the units in the world are moving at like 2 frames, even on the higher speeds and even normal. Is there some kinda of pathfinding bug or something? Because as soon as I can get units inside the fort and they start fighting the problem kinda fixes itself.

It's a known issue that I'm assuming will never get fixed, but you're right that it's related to pathfinding. That's gotta be the most annoying Empire bug for me. I've had sieges drag out for an eternity because I was too stubborn to quit.

There's a no forts mod that fixes the problem in a throwing-the-baby-out-with-the-bathwater sort of way. Then again, the siege battles in Empire are a seriously ugly baby anyway, so you might be better off.

Space Wizard posted:

Now that Darth has run away and taken all of his toys with him, I don't see 8.0 getting updated or patched anytime in the near future either.

Like every child who throws a tantrum and runs away, he'll come crawling back wanting attention sooner or later. Probably sooner.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

It's a shame there's no way to get boats for the American Indian tribes. I'd love to take a war like that to European shores.

There was a mod that I used for a while that added in the Native American tribes, though the expansion that added them in (an extremely limited) campaign disabled it. They had exactly one ship and I think you could only build it if you sacked somewhere that already had a shipyard. However, a mass of Cherokee coming out of nowhere to zerg rush Great Britain was a pretty glorious inversion of history.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

So I bought RTW on Steam and tried to install Europa Barborum.

Thanks TW modders for being such retards and adding like 50 little shortcuts for your random utilities and different launch options for your mod!

gently caress you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

While we're on the subject of Empire:

Hey you! 18th century Pikeman! you are loving useless!

Seriously, these guys are the most pointless units ever. Apart from the role they play in the early parts of the Tutorial has anyone ever seriously done anything with them apart from disband them and then buy line or a new saker artillery piece in the next turn?

Useless!

I am aware before anyone points this out the Swedes used them in minor successes in the Northern Wars later that century but still naaargrgrgh!