Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
So I've been listening to a poo poo ton of Australian bands lately. This started primarily because I've had a long obsession with Chinese bands, and a lot of their releases are handled by Tenzenmen (Bandcamp link with a LOT of albums you can listen to), an Australian based label that also puts out a lot of Australian stuff. I tried listening to some of the non-Chinese bands they have on there and it turned out a lot of them were really good, I listened to them more, got last.fm recommendations of other Australian bands, this cycle repeated and I've realized that Melbourne has one of the best scenes going pretty much anywhere right now (and there's some other good bands from elsewhere on the continent). Here's some of my favorite stuff I've heard:

Mere Women: really good post-punkish indie. I feel like they would have a considerable amount of hype if they were from USA/UK/Sweden/whatever. Bandcamp here

Idylls: excellent mathy hardcore/metalcore (although I'm loath to use that term because it's come to mean a very specific type of garbage in common parlance), if you like Converge you will probably like these dudes. Bandcamp here

Bikini Eyebolt: scuzzy noise rock along the lines of the Jesus Lizard and TODD. Bandcamp here

DEAD: another heavy, scuzzy noise rock group that features at least one member from Bikini Eyebolt. Bandcamp here

Bone: another noise rock group, but noisy in a different way. Once again I'd give the Jesus Lizard as the most tangible similar group, but maybe a little bit less unhinged. Bandcamp here

Orlacs Hände: screamo in the style popularized in the 90s, if you know what I'm talking about you probably don't need a list of similar bands but in case you still do, Funeral Diner, Native Nod, Portraits of Past, you know. Bandcamp here

SCUL HAZZARDs: yet another really good noise rock band out of Melbourne that would fit in well on the 90s Amphetamine Reptile roster. Bandcamp here

Truth From Facts: post-hardcore, RIYL Botch, Frodus, stuff like that. Bandcamp here

True Radical Miracle: another gruff, sludgy, heavy (but not oppressively so) noise rock band out of Melbourne. Bandcamp here

Zond: Wall-of-noise somewhat shoegazey indie, totally gorgeous and immersive stuff. They don't have a bandcamp (assholes) so here's a youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hXbkIjRJd8

Batrider: Just heard these gals + guy for the first time today and this might be my favorite Australian band yet. Imagine the loudest and most aggressive PJ Harvey gets on "Rid of Me" and make an entire band out of it and this is basically what you end up with. Bandcamp (??? I don't know if it's actually even hosted via Bandcamp but it looks like Bandcamp and works the same way) here

Does anyone know any of these bands? Does anyone who knows them know more of these bands? Many thousands of miles away from Australia it's hard to find out a hell of a lot about any of them but if anyone knows anything else similar (side projects? groups with shared members? other bands from the same scenes that are of the same general MO?) I'd love to hear about it.

a false fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Barrister are from New Zealand, but that's basically Australia. True Radical Miracle are great. Check out Die! Die! Die!

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
I forgot about Die! Die! Die!, someone had told me to check them out a while ago and this reminded me to and they are excellent.

Hormonium
Mar 5, 2007

There was, or maybe still is, an old Adelaide band I remember from the 90's called The Blood Sucking Freaks. I remember them because I went to the Summersault festival in 95 to see Sonic Youth, the Beastie Boys and the Foo Fighters. The Blood Sucking Freaks played too, right at the end of the night, on one of the crappy small stages. There may have been about 300 people watching them, maybe? Probably a few more. But anyway, Dave Grohl came out on stage and played with them, which was a pretty big deal in the mid 90's, I thought. Anyway, the Blood Sucking Freaks, from memory, were possibly good.

Another old Adelaide band, Mark of Cain. Good music for men who hate their dads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8hH0zYhQfI

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The Drones are my favorite band of all time.

They are also my favourite band, Another Rousing Chorus is probably my favourite song by them. Didn't know it was about being a pisshead though

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
another cool band I just heard yesterday is Ricaine, they sound a LOT like Big Black but more melodic instrumentally. If you like Big Black and the other various Steve Albini projects you will almost definitely like them.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
Ricaine were great. They released a split 7" and toured constantly with a Sydney band, Midget, who my dumb younger self preferred. But hey they were pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzj5KfARLzc

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Count Chocula posted:

Barrister are from New Zealand, but that's basically Australia. Check out Die! Die! Die!

From that reknowned Australian New Zealand city of Dunedin.

Stop stealing our bands (and olympic medals), you fuckers. :arghfist::parrot:

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
On a jaunt through bandcamp I found the page for Bedroom Suck Records which is some mob out of Queensland. Anyway I ended up really liking this EP from Scott & Charlene's Wedding / Peak Twins (Only Son and Your Love are such slacker fun) and this one from Hissey Miyake / Terrible Truths and hence wanted to obtain the music in exchange for some money.

But can I do that? No! The only way to buy these things is apparently on vinyl, but even if I did want to do that when you try to click 'Buy Vinyl' it leads you to the website which the store is still 'under construction'

It's really getting my goat all these bands that use bandcamp to host their music but don't let you actually buy it from the same place. You've uploaded the music to the site. Let me buy it! Let me give you money! It's not that complicated!

The worst example is loving Alex Lloyd's bandcamp, all the albums up there ready to listen to and someone put alot of effort into organising the backgrounds and whatnot, but do you actually want to buy them? There's a handy 'Purchase from Itunes" link in the corner! What a loving waste, especially since its near guaranteed that bandcamp charges alot less in its overheads than iTunes. Ugh.

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010
There was something strange with the Scott & Charlene's split where the label ran out of copies as soon as it was released. At the Sydney show all the copies were gone before the set finished, but I snagged a copy at JB. The vinyl does come with a download code if you can get a hold of it. Hopefully the second pressing isn't too far away. If you're super keen Night People in the US picked it up as well and are selling copies.

The Scott & Charlene's full length Para Vista Social Club is available for $5 on bandcamp and for some reason full of songs about trains.

XMD 5a
Aug 28, 2011

money is flesh
The Church are my favourite band out of this country. Seance, Heyday and Gold Afternoon Fix are amazing, under-appreciated albums.

Love The Birthday Party and early Bad Seeds too.

I don't think Dead Can Dance have been mentioned yet. They're incredible, and have just released a great comeback album.

I don't think Icehouse has been mentioned either. I know they're kind of daggy, but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEKh6RpoYT0 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSlAdUr7mWM really do it for me.

As for less obvious stuff, the old-school Melbourne post-punk scene had tons of cool stuff. This a a pretty good compilation to start off with: http://www.amazon.com/Cant-Stop-It-Australian-1978-82/dp/B0000648MM - The Primitive Calculators are badass and still kicking around as far as I'm aware.

Recently got into Pray TV. Decent 80s-90s indie rock/post-punk stuff. http://praytv.bandcamp.com/ < Definitely worth the (free!) download.

I had Ricaine recommended to me a couple of weeks back. Really enjoying their stuff too.

I also listened to Echolalia by Something for Kate for the first time in almost a decade the other day. I forgot how good that album is (despite being overplayed at the time)

a false posted:

Here's some of my favorite stuff I've heard:

drat you! My to-listen-to backlog has now doubled :/

But seriously, thanks!

Ignem
Oct 30, 2011

Not Australian per se, but Godspeed You! Black Emperor have just announced shows in Sydney Melbourne and Brisbane.
Got front row tickets for the Sydney show and could not be happier.

still available, no idea how fast they're selling though.

http://ss-preview-prm.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=GODSPEED13#.UFFbxUJRq9Y

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Somehow I forgot about Snowman for a while, but I was downright obsessed with them when The Horse, The Rat and The Swan came out. It's just such a frightening, exhilerating record, and their first one is nearly as good.

The other day, someone told me they broke up and put out a new album (at the same time) last year, so of course I had to listen to it.

It's not very good. It's not bad, either, it sounds like a poor man's Liars record, but the first two are must-listens, seriously. The first two are fairly similar to Liars as well, quite noisy but strangely melodic and creepy.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
So everyone knows that oz hip hop is either about getting drunk or protest rap. I guess I better do something to fix this; I'll do a bit of an effortpost on underground oz hip hop. This is the kind of hip hop that's made in bedrooms by dudes who do it not because they've got some important message to tell the world, or because they want to make 'cool music' for the fans. It's by the people who fall by the wayside. The songs usually have heavy themes of pain, struggle, making it through life while still trying to be someone they can be proud of. On the opening track to The Stage Is Set by Lyrical Commission (one of the greatest oz hip hop underground crews) they literally say they aren't making "music". "...none of this gaylord happy music poo poo, we're just making hip hop how we fucken' feel it, and if you like it, sweet, if not, gently caress yas" (yeh, there's a bit of casual bigotry here and there but it's not the scene, it's because of Australian culture as a whole. It'll wash away when society moves forward. It's more of a class thing anyway.)

There's a heavy emphasis in the culture of mastering one of the four elements of hip hop (rapping, DJing, dancing, graffiti). If you're getting up to perform as a DJ you ABSOLUTELY must have proper turntables, playing real wax. ("What is a DJ if you can't scratch" is probably one of the most-used samples).

Beats are made by "sampling" (which I won't bother explaining) but if you aren't sampling, you aren't hip-hop.

You aren't tough if you go out and fight and find glory in getting smashed all the time, but if you aren't getting in fights and going out and getting smashed, then, well, you just aren't on the same level. Again, it's all about trying to sort your way through a tough life, rather than making something appealing to music fans. This is why there is such a huge divide between something like the Hilltop Hoods/ The Herd and the underground scene; why are you making hip hop? What's the point? Go and suck as many dicks as you want when Triple J buys you a wardrobe of DC clothing, but don't expect any love when you try and market yourself as hip hop. Like Mos Def says (I'm paraphrasing): hip hop is the people, not the music.

Now for some beats: This is from Lyrical Commission (LC!) one of the greatest oz hip hop groups ever. And if you don't like it, it's only because you haven't eaten poo poo in life like they have. (Also, they're from Melbourne)

Lyrical Commission - Carlton United Tragedy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjukwQkMMGc

Brad Strut is another one of Australia's greatest rappers, has done work with LC in the past. Lazy Grey and Lenwun used to be a team called Brothers Stoney and they're from Brisbane. They're considered as heavyweights in the industry; their releases in the 90's along with the take-over of Ric's Bar as 'the' Hip Hop venue in Brisbane has helped define how to make Oz hip hop: digging through crates looking for the perfect sample, looping it painfully and manually, playing a drumbeat on a drum machine or looping a drum break from an old funk album, and rapping in strong Australian accents. Definitely check out Lazy Grey's extensive (and still going) solo career, and if you can fin dit, the Lenwun solo album Begged, Borrowed or Stolen (his only solo work) is textbook work on how to work samples. It's the greatest. (try Rocking Horse records online store. They've been gelded pretty badly recently but he used to work there so they should have it for sale)

Brad Strut - Toowong ft Lazy Grey, Len One
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0cscB77m-U

Now with that smooth segue to Brisbane we have the Coalition Crew. These guys take a more clinical approach to hip hop, but because of their roots and connections, and preference for innovation mean that these guys were claimed as underground. They have a live bass player Big Al who works with their DJ to make beats, and Big Al has done a solo album of just beats. Yuin Huzami (or just youandwhose) has a very stoner-friendly voice and is probably an old Rasta reincarnated in Brisbane's outer suburbs.

This is another old track from the mid 2k's, classic video because Len didn't know the video existed til I told him. He tries to keep his face out of everything for some reason.

Coalition Crew - Make Beats featuring Len One
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1grSj3upL8k

Now unfortunately we can't just talk about Melbourne and Brisbane. There's one other city that has made a decent tilt at good hip hop; Perth.

You'll probably recognise this track from JJJ, which is a pity, because even though they kept reasonably true to their roots, they still suffered from that tainted chalice. Downsyde are fucken sick but just don't bring them up in mixed company. Kind of a 'enjoy them in your own room on a very low volume' good. This track is a good example of how underground hip hop is all about those who live tough lifes.

Downsyde - Lesfortunate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL__p4E_e7A

I could write a whole megathread on why Hunter is one of the greatest, but just listen to one of his songs. RIP

Hunter - Jam Roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vV43YsfSTk

So if you're keen on the rough stuff, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHv2oTKE1zQ Jake Biz - Get The gently caress Outta Here. Jake Biz is out of Brisbane.

If you're keen on more of the Coalition Crew style stuff, Dave V from Melbourne has apparently sold all his stuff and dropped out of the scene, but he's an awesome beat maker (always has guest rappers) but his beats are just something else. Lenwun was a huge fan, which is kind of like being alt-rock and getting praise from Robert Forster or something I dunno what the gently caress guitar music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tKDdxE7Y3U Dave V ft. Thorts - Love n Hate

Bliss n Eso and Hilltop Hoods are the worst loving things in the world, and dudes like The Herd should be called something like protest-step or Electronic Spoken Word or something because it sure as poo poo ain't hip hop. But good on 'em for what he raps about I guess.

1. Make Beats

2. Skate Streets

3. Paint Piece

4. Blaze Weed

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

precision posted:

Somehow I forgot about Snowman for a while, but I was downright obsessed with them when The Horse, The Rat and The Swan came out. It's just such a frightening, exhilerating record, and their first one is nearly as good.

The other day, someone told me they broke up and put out a new album (at the same time) last year, so of course I had to listen to it.

It's not very good. It's not bad, either, it sounds like a poor man's Liars record, but the first two are must-listens, seriously. The first two are fairly similar to Liars as well, quite noisy but strangely melodic and creepy.

Abscence is actually my favourite of theirs, but it is pretty different to their previous work.

Have you listened to HTRK? They come to mind as something you might like.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Just popping in to show off the custom title Games bought me for defending my favorite gaming journalist. I was discussing him at a country gig in Newtown with a friend until I realized I was in the absolute worst place to say things like 'Tim Rogers is a bit of a wanker'.

Speaking of country, what are some good local alt-country and country bands? The 49 Goodbyes just left and I'm not too impressed by the latest Kasey Chambers & Shane Nicholson album.

Anyone heard Hoodlum Shouts? They play a fun, earnest bit of hardcore poetry.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Petulant Frenzy coming up soon for anyone who enjoys the music of Frank Zappa interpreted excellently. They don't play often so make sure to get your butts down to see them

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

http://www.ariaawards.com.au/news/22/aria-nominations-announced-for-2012

A bunch of boring bands got nominated for ARIA Awards. The closest thing to a good album is The Beards, and they're in the Comedy category. The best bands are in Best Live Act, with Chisel and Dirty Three.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Count Chocula posted:

A bunch of boring bands got nominated for ARIA Awards. The closest thing to a good album is The Beards, and they're in the Comedy category. The best bands are in Best Live Act, with Chisel and Dirty Three.

Does anyone actually care about the ARIA awards?I don't even know why they bother anymore, it just seems to be the same group of bands/artists winning awards on an alternating roster

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The Beards make my eyes roll out of my head.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Count Chocula posted:

You're right, DZ Deathrays, Mia Dyson, Gotye, The Bamboos, Lanie Lane, Alpine, Husky, Hoodoo Gurus, Sleepmakeswaves, Dappled Cities, The Jezabels, Oh Mercy, Hermitude...all incredibly boring bands that aren't doing anything outside of mainstream poo poo oh wait

Out of all those you pick The Beards and loving Cold Chisel to demonstrate "good"? thumbs up m8

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I have a very specific aesthetic. DZ Deathrays were good when they opened for Roland S Howard (RIP) but they're too dancy now. Hoodoo Gurus wern't that good live, but I should have mentioned Lanie Lane. Haven't heard the new Dappled, but I used to love them.

The rest.. most of the upcoming indie bands seem to have that dancy, chanty sound Triple J likes. If you could point me to some that would change my mind that would be cool.

But how can you insult Chisel? I realize I wouldn't like their fans but you can't tell me they didn't write some incredible songs.

Smith Street Band were robbed again. And King Cannons, I guess (I don't like them but they do pander to me). And Graveyard Train. And that new band with a member of Eddy Current Suppression Ring. Did the Royal Headache album come out this year? That should get in.

What does it mean when you dream of Dave Graney and Clare Moore?

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 3, 2012

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
based on a quick listen, cold chisel sound like a fairly generic 80s rock band imo, but then again i generally really like that sort of poo poo (like midnight oil, crowded house, men at work, etc).

also i really liked the dz deathrays album. they might be the closest thing to death from above 1979 that's making music right now (though i wish they were a bit sloppier and rougher around the edges).

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I've seen DZ Deathrays way back before they changed their name and I'm not quite sold on their newer sound. Though they aren't that bad. Pretty much everything else on the list I either haven't heard or find annoying. Hoodoo's excluded.

I'm not hip enough to know new music. I spend most of my time under a rock, but here's something from an album coming out this month: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIsGzT6VIDY - Strangers: Persona Non Grata. If you're in Sydney, they are playing the Landsdowne tonight and every thursday this month. And they've been playing the Cherry Bar in Melbourne all of last month and again this month.
Bonus song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3XdXlmiWlQ&feature=relmfu Bred for Breeding.

I've probably posted this before, but since they are doing shows currently it's a heads up. Mainstream rock sound.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Count Chocula posted:

The closest thing to a good album is The Beards, and they're in the Comedy category.

The children's music category would have been a better fit, really.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

a false posted:

based on a quick listen, cold chisel sound like a fairly generic 80s rock band imo, but then again i generally really like that sort of poo poo (like midnight oil, crowded house, men at work, etc).

As an outsider who loves Springsteen and who lives in fear of your average Cold Chisel fan I reckon Khe Sanh, Flame Tree and Cheap Wine are all genius. I'm not sure what you mean by calling all those bands 'generic', though. Midnight Oil have a propulsive sound and great political lyrics while Crowded House are much more melodic and are respected by people like Paul McCartney and Bob Lefsetz as world-class songwriters. I need to get more into Men at Work. 'Generic' fits the Choirboys, who are also really good.

Anyone remember the Skybombers? I jut picked up Burnout Paradise and they're on the soundtrack. They were decent, and I saw them at Spectrum. Turns out Airbourne also sound good while pretending to race a car.

Anyone have a copy of this? It looks amazing:

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 4, 2012

Seith
Sep 28, 2011
Anyone else excited about the new Tame Impala record coming out this Tuesday?

Lead single Elephant is a certified mud-stomping muscle car jam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6CZTDCb7g4

Edit: 70's psych-rocker Todd Rundgren comes out of the woodwork for a remix that is actually better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBaW1RyGUz8

Seith fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 7, 2012

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

Seith posted:

Anyone else excited about the new Tame Impala record coming out this Tuesday?

Lead single Elephant is a certified mud-stomping muscle car jam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6CZTDCb7g4

Edit: 70's psych-rocker Todd Rundgren comes out of the woodwork for a remix that is actually better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBaW1RyGUz8

It's awesome. I got it from JB yesterday though.

Pudendal
Aug 24, 2007

Any fans of PVT? The single from their upcoming album is ballin'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqwZ02cayac

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Edit: Alchemist were already mentioned earlier in the thread, nothing to see here...

Flaky fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 7, 2012

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

Pudendal posted:

Any fans of PVT? The single from their upcoming album is ballin'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqwZ02cayac

Huge fan. Really wish they'd go back to pure instrumental but I still liked Church with No Magic.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
So which one of you guys writes Vegemite and Milk?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

screaden posted:

Not me.

Who was responsible for briefly getting Everett True to be a front page writer?

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup

screaden posted:

I do. Glad your Magic Bones friends enjoyed it. The blog isnt exclusively on Australian artists because it'd bore me but I do try and include all the good local stuff thats available on bandcamp.

http://vegemiteandmilk.tumblr.com/

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Psychotic Turnbuckles are reuniting and playing the Sando in December. Why did nobody tell me about a group of pub/garage rock wrestlers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqWTlZI-Rhc

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Shunkymonky posted:

I do. Glad your Magic Bones friends enjoyed it. The blog isnt exclusively on Australian artists because it'd bore me but I do try and include all the good local stuff thats available on bandcamp.

http://vegemiteandmilk.tumblr.com/

look at this scrub only just hearing big black delta :smug: Although they are loving amazing.

Violent Soho's limited 7" only appears to be available through JB Hi Fi for $23. I'm going to be asking around the local record store here (Brisbane, so it'd make sense for them to sell it locally) but for some reason, I'm not particularly hopeful.

I do enjoy Cub Scouts' new single as well; yeah it's Brisbane-based indie pop, but it's well done and heaps better than the new Hungry Kids/Ball Park stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haCay85cpvo

I really didn't enjoy Ball Park's new album outside of 'Surrender'; it's an odd one, and nowhere near as catchy as the first. Might have to revisit it later on.

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup

I, Butthole posted:

look at this scrub only just hearing big black delta :smug: Although they are loving amazing.

Heey like I said I've had the album on my iPod for ages. Just sometimes you have to find any excuse you can to write about Chewbacca.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

The Cosmic Psychos played over the weekend. So good. First time seeing them, place was packed across three nights.

Opened with this. Hell yes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi6Oe5CrY6Q

El Gay Balls
Oct 23, 2012
Well, I'll sling in a couple of Aussie bands that I Like:

Country Punk, Sydney City Trash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY_k5NPSo8Q

and some Aussie Hip Hop Mind over Matter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRGfiy-i474

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
How can there be Aus Rock chat and no mention of the Beasts of Bourbon?

The band that made Tex Perkins almost semi-famous and lasted (on and off) more than 20 years.

Released a bunch of great albums, probably the best being The Low Road in the early '90s

The live video of From The Belly Of The Beasts captures a blistering performance and shows why they were one of the great Aussie live rock acts of the '90s (unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any clips of it on YouTube)

As someone who came of age in Perth in the '90s I kinda miss the depth of live music and venues.

I'm know most if not all of the pubs/clubs such as the Grosvenor, The Loft, Ozone, Planet, the Lone Star (and heaps more that I can't fr the life of me remember the names of) are long gone.

So many memorable gigs, I think my all-time favourite would've been the triple-bill of Ammonia and Tumbleweed ( i think? oh god so many braincells lost since then) supporting Swervedriver at Planet nightclub :worship:

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Beats of Bourbon are amazing, and supporting Iggy & The Stooges next year.

If you're in Sydney, get to a Black Wire Records benefit show this weekend. They've put on so many good shows. Pure Evil Trio are playing there tonight and Royal Headache are playing a fundraising show at Red Rattler tomorrow.

• Locked thread