Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRuntE7R4F8

DAD WE FOUND A TURTLE

:downsbravo:

they kept playing this during the truck series race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I cannot stand all of the new Apple iphone 5 commercials. Holy poo poo that little jingle in all of them with the pretentious narrator is like nails on a chalkboard. And I never knew that someone could be so loving smug over some cheap plastic ear buds.

The only one that actively irritates me is
"CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-[wheeze]-EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE"

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
Buick Enclave lady; how can people stare at how hot you are apparently when your hair is constantly covering your face, even when you turn to the camera :iiam:

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

doritos posted:

Showing the thing you made and how it works: pretentious.

Okay.

Yeah, that's not why it's pretentious. What shape were Apple's ear buds in the past anyway?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

kittenmittons posted:

Yeah, that's not why it's pretentious. What shape were Apple's ear buds in the past anyway?

Round and uncomfortable as gently caress.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

TontoCorazon posted:

Round and uncomfortable as gently caress.

Exactly. They're being smug about improving a product they shamelessly promoted for years without acknowledging that they promoted said product. I know why they wouldn't want to do that, advertising and all. But still, pretentious.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I hate how every single Apple product commercial is the exact same thing: a white background showing what the iPhone, iPad, or other product can do. Compare them to the commercial for the Google tablet, which shows far more imagination than the "buy our product because it can do this cool thing!" premise of Apple commercials.

I guess they don't need to put much into advertising because of the built-in audience.

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Y-Hat posted:

I hate how every single Apple product commercial is the exact same thing: a white background showing what the iPhone, iPad, or other product can do.

Isn't that exactly what a good ad is?

I don't care how much money you spent on getting some media studies students to make a 30 second art film. If you want me to buy your product you better tell me what I'm supposed to get out of it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

doritos posted:

I don't care how much money you spent on getting some media studies students to make a 30 second art film. If you want me to buy your product you better tell me what I'm supposed to get out of it.
Commercials for the Google Nexus tablet do that as well, and they manage to have a lot more imagination put into them than just "watch what our product can do in front of a boring white background."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBvrjfbOHy0

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

doritos posted:

A great example of this is comparing Apple's introduction of the iPad to how Microsoft introduced the Surface tablet. Apple's iPad marketing was simple: "Here are all the ways this magical little device will make your life better. Share photos. Watch movies. Be social." Microsoft's Surface press release, however, was essentially listing features and attributes of the tablet. Apple focused on the amazing things you could do with their product, whereas Microsoft focused upon what it was.

Installing a pool in your backyard isn't the compelling part of having a pool. Being able to splash in it on a hot summer day, however, is.

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 7, 2012

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
The one thing I think is funny about the iPhone 5 commercials is how they're really only showcasing features that were missing from older iPhone models, not the numerous other smartphones on the market these days.

"It's so obvious, it only took us 5 phones to come up with it."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Vicas posted:

Still no NFC, due Sep. 2014.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ford is running some pretty terrible ads for their new hybrid. Mostly because they don't do a very good job of actually showing off the car instead focusing on this crappy animated bit for the first half of the commercial.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Vicas posted:

The one thing I think is funny about the iPhone 5 commercials is how they're really only showcasing features that were missing from older iPhone models, not the numerous other smartphones on the market these days.

Doing something right is more important than doing it first.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Atasi posted:

Doing something right is more important than doing it first.

Which explains Maps.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Toffile posted:

Which explains Maps.

Well when your supplier pulls the rug out from under you, what can you do?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Atasi posted:

They promoted it like it was all set to go and all finished. It wouldn't have been hard to say "Look, maps is still in testing, send in your comments, help us out, etc", but they rushed it and got burned.

Besides, marketing things like comfortable earbuds as if you invented it, and the "there's more of it, and yet less of it! The laws of physics are just suggestions! :downs: " things are dumb enough.

E: Hell, every ad they ran for the 5 was basically an admission that there was nothing new or advanced about it. Even if all the Galaxy 3 did was this "touch it to another GS3 to transfer stuff" feature, it was at least something new. The iPhone 5 didn't have any neat advancements like Siri on the 4S, a huge battery like the Razr Maxx, it's nearly an admission that they peaked with the 4S.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 8, 2012

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Atasi posted:

Apple had a year remaining on its license to use the Google Maps API. Jobs was pissed over Android and Google not allowing access to the turn-by-turn element of its API, though, so Apple started buying mapping companies in 2009.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Promoting features you've finally fixed is pretty SOP for advertising. Mad had a piece in the Sixties showcasing the old and unimproved products companies were implicitly admitting to.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
The CitiCard commercial where the guy gets dumped is the loving pits. Yes boring guy, you are now next-level-generic boring white dude when you think participating in a cooking class, going to a museum, and seeing an Alicia Keys concert alone make you less boring. You will be alone forever, sorry.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

Parachute posted:

The CitiCard commercial where the guy gets dumped is the loving pits. Yes boring guy, you are now next-level-generic boring white dude when you think participating in a cooking class, going to a museum, and seeing an Alicia Keys concert alone make you less boring. You will be alone forever, sorry.

That commercial is definitely one of the dumber ones I've seen recently. It's the epitome of "If I like these things that I think women also like, they can't help but want me!" :downs:

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That commercial is definitely one of the dumber ones I've seen recently. It's the epitome of "If I like these things that I think women also like, they can't help but want me!" :downs:

He probably got all those reward points after he spent thousands of dollars on strippers and prostitutes.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I loving hate hate hate those stupid Bing commercials but what makes me laugh is there's this one dude who when the guy goes "YOU PICKED BING!!!! :D" the guy just goes "Oh." in the most :geno: way, like he could not possibly give less of a poo poo.

It makes me laugh every time.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I loving hate hate hate those stupid Bing commercials but what makes me laugh is there's this one dude who when the guy goes "YOU PICKED BING!!!! :D" the guy just goes "Oh." in the most :geno: way, like he could not possibly give less of a poo poo.

It makes me laugh every time.

I love that in the background of the "blind comparison" are all these X-Box products.

"Hey, come here and do a totally blind search engine comparison. Oh, those boxes? They're just full of exciting and fun Microsoft X-Box 360 accessories."

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I don't think that was the point. It was that he thought his life was exciting now, when his last girlfriend dumped him because he was boring. I don't think it had anything to do with him doing those things to impress women. He was "moving on" by using his credit card rewards in a way that was akin to "living well is the best revenge."

Still a terrible ad, but that's how I saw it.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Parachute posted:

Maybe he is doing things to make his life more fulfilling so he doesn't need someone else to complete him?

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Armyman25 posted:

Maybe he is doing things to make his life more fulfilling so he doesn't need someone else to complete him?

My point being that he was dumped for being boring, and continued to be that way despite the commercial suggesting otherwise, because said activities are pretty much the blandest things on the planet.

I can't be the only one thinking about the Office episode where Michael "smoked a clove cigarette at the Alicia Keys concert"!

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I love how car commercials are basically required to have a shot of that car driving past a gas station defiantly these these days.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Vicas posted:

I love how car commercials are basically required to have a shot of that car driving past a gas station defiantly these these days.

It's loving hilarious when it's some truck or SUV and the announcer brags it has a "with a whopping 18 miles per gallon, you'll see savings in your wallet."

Yeah, saving $100 a month on gas (at best) totally makes up for paying $500 a month on a car loan. :rolleyes:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's loving hilarious when it's some truck or SUV and the announcer brags it has a "with a whopping 18 miles per gallon, you'll see savings in your wallet."

I hate how they emphasize highway mileage since gas prices went nuts in the US.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
My '95 Plymouth Breeze got 40-45 highway 35 city in 2007 (been riding public transport/bicycle since), so I just laugh whenever they advertise mileage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kaizoku posted:

My '95 Plymouth Breeze got 40-45 highway 35 city in 2007 (been riding public transport/bicycle since), so I just laugh whenever they advertise mileage.

I got 42 out of a tank in an '88 Ford EXP last month.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
These specialized dating sites are starting to get ridiculous. Just saw one for Cougarlife.com that came with it's own half-assed song.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

Apple had a year remaining on its license to use the Google Maps API. Jobs was pissed over Android and Google not allowing access to the turn-by-turn element of its API, though, so Apple started buying mapping companies in 2009.

When the contract would have run out, they would have been halfway through the 5's life. They had to do it then if they were going to do it at all.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Gaunab posted:

These specialized dating sites are starting to get ridiculous. Just saw one for Cougarlife.com that came with it's own half-assed song.

One bought the rights to cowboys.com I was expecting the homepage to the Dallas Cowboys, not A dating site.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Gaunab posted:

Whatever you do don't listen to the jingle for dateacougar. It is just as atrocious.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Gaunab posted:

There are actually two different commercials for Cougarlife, each with their own unique half-assed song. One of them tries to lip-sync the song to stock video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShB45_6j0lk

http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-video-13204973-closeup-of-woman-singing.php?st=cccae8f

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

kittenmittons posted:

This is the part that annoys me. I've bought multiple iPods in the past, and I had to pay extra for earbuds that weren't complete poo poo. They came with terrible circular earbuds that weren't the least bit ergonomic, yet now they come out with some that make a little more sense and they act like it's some huge forward thinking idea. gently caress you for making me spend 40 extra dollars on my iPod because the default headphones were intentionally lovely.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, saving $100 a month on gas (at best) totally makes up for paying $500 a month on a car loan. :rolleyes:
Even better are the commercials that say you are looking for a truck with a high 18 MPG and then showcase five asshauls that would murder your MPG, all in the name of torque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
"It's like we're not even taste buds...we're taste bros."

shut up Sonic shut up shut up shut UUUUP