Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
I've found a good way to get behind zombie's, if they're blocking your front melee attack simply go past them and hit them in the back, never does not work, the game has a sort of auto lock on for melee.
I do wish they kept the 8 slot inventory system though, but at least the reduced inventory means less fumbling about.

Again on the skill system, why the gently caress they removed weapon progression, I want to jump on a game and have my big gatling gun fridge to show off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Put another 10 hours into RE6 mercenaries, and while I don't hate it nearly as much as I did when I first started, I still think it's much worse than 5's mercs.

Negatives
*Sloppy melee system. No good way to quickly get behind someone to do a back melee attack.
*No invincibility animations for downed enemy stomps (wtf?!).
*No SS rank, and no separate scores and ranks for the different costumes.
*Terrible terrible inventory system. Why do I have to keep switching back to grenades if I want to throw multiples?

Positives
*No pipe manjinis.

I'll probably still play a fair deal of it, but probably no where near as much as I did 4 and 5.

The "stun someone with quickshot" method has worked well for me in setting up pretty much anything I need to set up re: melee. It may be gun related but Quickshot is a melee move, it even takes up some of your stamina gauge. It's just a fancy stun button.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
You're making the mistake of going for the melee from behind attack. All you need to do is stun the zombie or javo via a head shot or shoulder shot and the melee attack will be an instant kill.

Also if you shoot a zombie in the shoulder it will spin around making a from behind melee attack trivial.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like just playing through the game with Jake and part of Chris has given me enough points to unlock a costume on RE.net. Sucks that the only way to unlock it this way though... REAAAALLLLYYYYY Tempted to unlock Pirate Leon for his first playthrough.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

RE6 has been weird in that since it's release I'm slowly hearing more and more favourable opinions. I find this very, very interesting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rei_ posted:

RE6 has been weird in that since it's release I'm slowly hearing more and more favourable opinions. I find this very, very interesting.

One of RE6's biggest problems is that it doesn't explain poo poo. Once poo poo gets explained, it's pretty easy to see why a lot of things work like they do. That isn't to say it doesn't have other problems but it obfuscated a lot of basic stuff.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Spiffster posted:

Looks like just playing through the game with Jake and part of Chris has given me enough points to unlock a costume on RE.net. Sucks that the only way to unlock it this way though... REAAAALLLLYYYYY Tempted to unlock Pirate Leon for his first playthrough.

As I'm hearing it, you can't wear costumes in single player, it's just for mercenaries.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Crappy Jack posted:

As I'm hearing it, you can't wear costumes in single player, it's just for mercenaries.

awwwwww drat it... that spoils my party... :smith:

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I'm convinced the only way to enjoy this game is playing with a friend, while being yelled at my your other friends. Played a few hours of Jake's campaign originally and thought it was terrible. Then played some split-screen for a night, and it all suddenly clicked. Double Dragon jump kicking zombies while screaming for your friend to get his rear end to the choppa is pretty frigging great.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

All right, finally finished all three of the campaigns! Although Jake's was the weakest, I still really liked the final fight with the Ustanak. Probably since you actually got to use melee in a boss fight, and I absolutely love Jake's melee moves. Overall, real fun game, and again just like RE5 it's one of the best co-op games there is. Pacing and not-explaining-poo poo were the biggest problems with the game, and they weren't THAT big problems anyways. I can definitely forgive some missteps since the game is god drat massive, especially for a linear shooter-like game - nearly 30 hours for the three campaigns, and I still got Ada's thing and Mercenaries to chew on. Totally worth the price for me.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Still loving Mercenaries, but I got through the first two chapters of Jake's story and goddamn I hate how stubbornly uncommunicative the game is. It starts with the fact there's no manual, and continues throughout the game. It's like being in a lovely relationship. I know that it wants something, and I'm obviously not doing the right thing, but damned if it's going to tell me what it wants.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

ImpAtom posted:

One of RE6's biggest problems is that it doesn't explain poo poo. Once poo poo gets explained, it's pretty easy to see why a lot of things work like they do. That isn't to say it doesn't have other problems but it obfuscated a lot of basic stuff.

It's true. When you first start, there's no reason to suggest the game doesn't want you to play it like Gears or Uncharted, but you're going to have a bad time playing it like this (you'll burn through ammo, you'll get grabbed constantly, etc.)

At the same time, it doesn't play exactly like RE4/5 in that the melee and stagger system has been changed, and you're supposed to rely more on quick-shots and "stronger" melee attacks like coup de grace and counters, which are basically never explained unless you find it in the loading screens eventually. Certain melee attacks like the stomp and basic kicks/punches have been nerfed.

The game is really quite fun when you get the hang of it-- not to say that this isn't Capcom's fault. I mean, they didn't even include a loving instruction manual, and the only tutorial in the game just tells you how to mix herbs and that's about it.

So I can't really blame the reviewers; unless you spend some time figuring out the mechanics, it really does play like an "awful" game.

Although there are still things in the game that even I can't defend-- those loving egregious vehicle sections, for one. I'm not a big fan of those running sections either.

(God, Chris' vehicle level was so bad. I'm pretty sure I've seen iOS apps that looked and played better.)

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Trico posted:

It's true. When you first start, there's no reason to suggest the game doesn't want you to play it like Gears or Uncharted, but you're going to have a bad time playing it like this (you'll burn through ammo, you'll get grabbed constantly, etc.)

At the same time, it doesn't play exactly like RE4/5 in that the melee and stagger system has been changed, and you're supposed to rely more on quick-shots and "stronger" melee attacks like coup de grace and counters, which are basically never explained unless you find it in the loading screens eventually. Certain melee attacks like the stomp and basic kicks/punches have been nerfed.
The old stagger mechanics still work, kinda, you just need to shoot about three times as much to get through all the thick armor the zombies have; seriously, their clothings and skin must be made of steel.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Trico posted:

(God, Chris' vehicle level was so bad. I'm pretty sure I've seen iOS apps that looked and played better.)

I'm dreading trying to play Chris's campaign online for that very reason. Piers just has to lock on and shoot missiles, so it was easy when the AI was flying, but I suspect having an actual person in the cockpit is going to make me swear a blue streak.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trico posted:

The funny thing is that it does kind of play like Uncharted. At least how I play Uncharted, which is to use guns primarily to stun things so I can go up and punch them. It made it easier for me to get into the gameplay mindset when I thought of it like that.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Trico posted:

I thought those were fun and a nice change to base gameplay :shobon: Maybe it's different when playing alone, at least in co-op they were pretty sweet.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

counterspin posted:

Still loving Mercenaries, but I got through the first two chapters of Jake's story and goddamn I hate how stubbornly uncommunicative the game is. It starts with the fact there's no manual, and continues throughout the game. It's like being in a lovely relationship. I know that it wants something, and I'm obviously not doing the right thing, but damned if it's going to tell me what it wants.

I know the printing on the inside of the cover looks like gibberish, and they could have made this stand out more, but it does have a link to the manual. http://www.capcom.com/manuals/re6/

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

Honest Thief posted:

The old stagger mechanics still work, kinda, you just need to shoot about three times as much to get through all the thick armor the zombies have; seriously, their clothings and skin must be made of steel.

You must be having some really bad luck then because I'd say around 90% of the time enemies get stunned by a single shot to the head or arm (this is applied mostly with pistols and the more powerful ARs, the other weapons need a few shots to get the stagger but make up for it will larger magazine sizes) and after playing a bunch of Mercenaries in 4 and 5 in the weeks leading up to 6 I'd honestly say that the stagger has worked better and more reliably for me here than it did in those games. On the rare occasion that the first shot doesn't stagger and barring the stagger mechanic not being a dick, 2/3 shots seems to be the maximum total shots to get the stagger and if the third doesn't do it then it'll pop their head instead. I also have to disagree with the people saying the game wants you relying on the quickshot mechanic, while it may be an instant stun it takes a bar of your stamina gauge and then another to do the follow up melee with a possible third if they still aren't dead so using it liberally will have you burning through your stamina (yes you can use your herbs to refill the gauge but it can leave you vulnerable to attacks and I'd rather save them for when I might need a heal if I've been taking too much damage instead of burning them every time I need the stamina refill) so if I'm going to be using that much of my stamina bar I'd rather set up a Coup de Grace for the extra time bonus and has a pretty limited range that homes in on the closest enemy to you so it can lock on to the wrong enemy if you're surrounded. I've found it to be better as an emergency "get off me" button when I need to stun an enemy and I don't have the time to bring up manual aiming or when I start getting swarmed by those drat dogs and instead use the normal stagger -> contextual melee for a guaranteed kill for one bar, except for the armored zombies who either need two headshots then melee or a stomp follow up, and that bar will usually fill up naturally by the time I get to do it again and depending if the melee knocked over more enemies I can get some extra stomps in.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I've completed Leon and Jake's campaigns so far. Time for an unpopular opinion: this game loving owns. Seriously, it's at least ten times better than RE 5, I don't understand how anyone could feel different.

The new mechanics feel really good to me (and the implementation of melee is fuckawesome). There's nothing like diving out of the way of a zombie that's just flung itself at you, then shuffling backwards on the floor while firing frantically at it as it tries to crawl towards you. It feels like a proper modernization of classic Resident Evil.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I've come to the realisation that playing this game like Streets of Rage with a firearm makes it both amazing and hilarious.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
There really should have been an option to play any campaign as any character.
Basically, I wanted it to be "Jake Muller: Zombie Puncher"

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Tremors posted:

I know the printing on the inside of the cover looks like gibberish, and they could have made this stand out more, but it does have a link to the manual. http://www.capcom.com/manuals/re6/

Thank you for this. Still, I've spent most of Jake's campaign wondering why the game won't just tell me to do. Take for instance, one of my favorite moments in video games. In Condemned 2, you get chased by this huge, angry bear, and the first time it appears, the word RUN shows up on the screen in great big letters. The game is communicating to you that you are in "bear time," which means your only option is to run, as opposed to "hobo time" where you can save yourself with weapons. RE6 does a bad time telling me when I'm in bear time and when I'm in hobo time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pesmerga posted:

I've come to the realisation that playing this game like Streets of Rage with a firearm makes it both amazing and hilarious.

This has been true since RE4.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I've been trying to see all the different counter moves. There's some really fun stuff. Leon can body check the napads when they charge at him. Jake can do a weird corkscrew leg takedown on the grasshoper j'avo. My favorite, though, is Ada's counter during her final battle. She grapples up to Simmons and knees him in the face.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

RageBeef posted:

You must be having some really bad luck then because I'd say around 90% of the time enemies get stunned by a single shot to the head or arm (this is applied mostly with pistols and the more powerful ARs, the other weapons need a few shots to get the stagger but make up for it will larger magazine sizes) and after playing a bunch of Mercenaries in 4 and 5 in the weeks leading up to 6 I'd honestly say that the stagger has worked better and more reliably for me here than it did in those games. On the rare occasion that the first shot doesn't stagger and barring the stagger mechanic not being a dick, 2/3 shots seems to be the maximum total shots to get the stagger and if the third doesn't do it then it'll pop their head instead. I also have to disagree with the people saying the game wants you relying on the quickshot mechanic, while it may be an instant stun it takes a bar of your stamina gauge and then another to do the follow up melee with a possible third if they still aren't dead so using it liberally will have you burning through your stamina (yes you can use your herbs to refill the gauge but it can leave you vulnerable to attacks and I'd rather save them for when I might need a heal if I've been taking too much damage instead of burning them every time I need the stamina refill) so if I'm going to be using that much of my stamina bar I'd rather set up a Coup de Grace for the extra time bonus and has a pretty limited range that homes in on the closest enemy to you so it can lock on to the wrong enemy if you're surrounded. I've found it to be better as an emergency "get off me" button when I need to stun an enemy and I don't have the time to bring up manual aiming or when I start getting swarmed by those drat dogs and instead use the normal stagger -> contextual melee for a guaranteed kill for one bar, except for the armored zombies who either need two headshots then melee or a stomp follow up, and that bar will usually fill up naturally by the time I get to do it again and depending if the melee knocked over more enemies I can get some extra stomps in.

The old shoot them in the foot to stagger only works after like the third bullet in campaign.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cyra posted:

I've completed Leon and Jake's campaigns so far. Time for an unpopular opinion: this game loving owns. Seriously, it's at least ten times better than RE 5, I don't understand how anyone could feel different.

The new mechanics feel really good to me (and the implementation of melee is fuckawesome). There's nothing like diving out of the way of a zombie that's just flung itself at you, then shuffling backwards on the floor while firing frantically at it as it tries to crawl towards you. It feels like a proper modernization of classic Resident Evil.

Even the bad parts of this game entertain me more than Resident Evil 5. So, yeah.

I just realized: pretty much every Resident Evil game ever, it's a male and a female soldier teaming up, including Revelations. Is Chris's campaign in 6 the first time it's two guys?

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Gaiden was Barry and Leon.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I think the core gameplay is decent enough but the "campaigns" themselves are absolute poo poo. Also in mercenaries where are all the enemies? I can't tell you how many times I'd have a decent combo going and the level becomes a barren wasteland. It's like I'm playing Dead Rising for the Wii.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm still waiting for the Resident Evil when finally Leon and Ada are partners the entire time and it's nothing but back and forth banter and is basically a video game version of Mr. & Mrs. Smith. Oh and the merchants are back and the inventory is the same as Resident Evil 4's.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AASman posted:

I think the core gameplay is decent enough but the "campaigns" themselves are absolute poo poo. Also in mercenaries where are all the enemies? I can't tell you how many times I'd have a decent combo going and the level becomes a barren wasteland. It's like I'm playing Dead Rising for the Wii.

I haven't had this happen at all, or at least not even as much as in RE5. Are you moving around constantly or sticking in one area?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Yeah, I said to somebody the other day that RE6 is almost perfectly designed to frustrate games reviewers. It doesn't work quite like RE5 and it doesn't tell you how it works instead, so you get a bunch of cheap hits and stupid deaths until you figure that out. If you're looking to wrap the game up before a deadline, that's going to frustrate and finally enrage you, and that's on top of a bunch of decisions in the game that are genuinely not good, like how the plot is spinning its wheels.

AASman posted:

Also in mercenaries where are all the enemies? I can't tell you how many times I'd have a decent combo going and the level becomes a barren wasteland. It's like I'm playing Dead Rising for the Wii.

Much like in RE5, you want to stay mobile for the first two-thirds of the enemies in a Mercenaries stage in order to cajole them into spawning on top of you, since there are a set number of obvious spawn points in the level and the game is apparently coded to not use the same one too many times in a row. Towards the end of a level this is not a concern.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Leyburn posted:

You're making the mistake of going for the melee from behind attack. All you need to do is stun the zombie or javo via a head shot or shoulder shot and the melee attack will be an instant kill.

Also if you shoot a zombie in the shoulder it will spin around making a from behind melee attack trivial.

Melee from the front animations take about twice as much time as the rear melee ones do, and you don't even make back your +5 seconds most of the time when you use them. The only decent front melee kill I've seen is Chris', because you can chuck the enemy into another and than go stomp the second one. This reminds me of another thing I miss from RE5 mercs, which is the melee attacks had a much larger AoE effect. There was nothing funner than knee dropping an enemy and killing the 4 guys around him. In RE6 I'm running around trying to each zombie stomping them 2-3 times before they die even in the head in later parts of the stage.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Cyra posted:

I also think it's loving awesome. I loved 5, but still think this one is better - at the same time, I played a SHITLOAD of 5, so even though i've completed all the campaigns I still feel like i'm getting used to this a bit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Melee from the front animations take about twice as much time as the rear melee ones do, and you don't even make back your +5 seconds most of the time when you use them. The only decent front melee kill I've seen is Chris', because you can chuck the enemy into another and than go stomp the second one. This reminds me of another thing I miss from RE5 mercs, which is the melee attacks had a much larger AoE effect. There was nothing funner than knee dropping an enemy and killing the 4 guys around him. In RE6 I'm running around trying to each zombie stomping them 2-3 times before they die even in the head in later parts of the stage.

Your time in RE6 is not quite the same as in RE5. There are more methods to get time (countering is +10) and so you have to balance those factors out. Generally a melee attacks is either a small gain or at least a neutral event. You want to balance those with getting other higher-scoring attacks if you want to really get a higher score.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Stupid idea: Resident Evil game with RPG elements. Maybe make it about Sherry Birkin and how her body will adapt to stress by becoming better at fighting in various ways thanks to the G Virus. Hell, that'd make it the successor to Parasite Eve.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I always thought a merging of RE4 and System Shock 2 (like its inventory system and problem solving mechanics) would work pretty well.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Speedball posted:

Stupid idea: Resident Evil game with RPG elements. Maybe make it about Sherry Birkin and how her body will adapt to stress by becoming better at fighting in various ways thanks to the G Virus. Hell, that'd make it the successor to Parasite Eve.

My current dream RE game is that they hire Obsidian to make an Alpha Protocol-esque action-RPG starring one of the "Wesker Children" mentioned in RE5. You wake up in a morgue after the car accident that killed you, and now you have to decide whether or not to strap on the sunglasses and go find a way to saturate something.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
A tightened up version of RE6 that has undergone some serious quality control would make a sensational Resident Evil game. :)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Jimbot posted:

Oh and the merchants are back and the inventory is the same as Resident Evil 4's.
You're not going to get this while the series has a heavy co-op focus. While trying to fit as many fish as possible into your briefcase is fun in RE4, what isn't fun is trying to play the game online in co-op while waiting for your partner to arrange fish inside of their briefcase while you're waiting on zombies.

Annoying dumb thing: On 360, both accounts have to be gold accounts if you play connected to Xbox live, because of the random cross-campaign sections.

edit: RE6 HAS quality control, but it simply needs a significant pass to teach you how to play it. The worst part of the game is the opening tutorial, because it doesn't teach you ANYTHING. Valve-style "Bring in strangers of the street and see where they get confused" testing would have done wonders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

My current dream RE game is that they hire Obsidian to make an Alpha Protocol-esque action-RPG starring one of the "Wesker Children" mentioned in RE5. You wake up in a morgue after the car accident that killed you, and now you have to decide whether or not to strap on the sunglasses and go find a way to saturate something.

My long-awaited Shadowrun/Resident Evil crossover. :allears: