Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Calvervtutrp posted:

Does anyone know of a good pattern for a women's button-up shirt that isn't, well, hella soccer mom-ish? Ideally something fairly easy to tailor around a large chest/small waist? I just wanna be all classy & poo poo, but I can never seem to find a decent blouse pattern. No matter what I go looking for I just end up coming home with 5 new dress patterns that I'll never make.

^^I am also interested, I am thisclose to ripping all the seams out of one of my work blouses and tracing it out.

I just want a nice button down in every color!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Calvervtutrp posted:

Does anyone know of a good pattern for a women's button-up shirt that isn't, well, hella soccer mom-ish? Ideally something fairly easy to tailor around a large chest/small waist?

Are you against wearing the shirts half unbuttoned with a tank or camisole under them? That might be one of the easiest ways to get a really good fit, so you don't have excess darts or princess seams.

This one might be a start:

http://www.sewingpatterns.com/sub_i...tops&return=yes

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
I'm really dedicating myself to making most of the clothes I want for fall (okay, with a little bit of thrifting too, but no new purchases!) So I really wanted another light jacket, and I happen to love the jean jacket that I already own, so I traced it out. Since people have sort of been interested in that, here's basically how I do it--I also teach highschoolers how to do this in my Experimental Costume class, but it's so much easier to *show* rather than *explain* these things.

I just use regular tracing paper--turn the clothing inside out, and pick a pattern piece. Make sure that piece is perfectly flat. The rest of the garment can be all contorted, just get the piece you are tracing flat.

Lay the tracing paper on top and secure in place with weights or pins, and just use the ridge of the existing seam to draw out your pattern (obviously, you can add seam allowances later, I tend not to put SA on my patterns, instead adding them to the fabric after I've traced out the pattern) I use a light colored pencil initially, then go back with a french curve and ruler and clean the lines up with a darker color.

On sleeves or other things that you couldn't possibly 'lay flat,' I lay it so that half is flat, then pin the tracing paper to the very top fold of the sleeve (along the shoulder) trace that half half, then use those pins as a 'hinge' and flip to the other side of the sleeve and trace the other half.

Original and 'Replica'. The fabric on the replica was some sort of upholstery fabric I think (from the thrift store) and it was horrible to work with, it shifted and warped and frayed. But I think I locked it all down pretty well. I did not replicate the weird little diagonal front pockets because they're pretty useless.

Wearing it! I look miserable because it's way too hot for a jacket. The pockets are sticking up a little oddly. Hoping once I get the snaps on (they're in the mail as we speak) they'll stay down better. But I'm pretty pleased overall!

Also made a couple little totes for my/my boyfriends lunch, forgot to get a picture of his, it's denim with that awful/wonderful safety orange tape I found at JoMar.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
/\ that's so cool Goldaline. I've always wanted to make my own patterns but never knew where to begin. Was supposed to take a pattern marking course at CSM but the tutor broke her leg. They refunded the money but the price of the course has gone up every year and now I've got no chance of affording it.

I need suggestions for a fabric. I picked up this gorgeous designer silk twill in the remnants bin at Biddle Sawyer Silks in Soho. It's approx. 105cm x 220cm and I got it for the amazing bargain price of £8, down from £32.

But I don't know what to do with it. I was going to make my dad a tie but he never wears one so it would be wasted. And personally, I don't think lilac works with my colouring even though I love the pattern. Would it work for a handwash only pillowcase?

Sorry for the crap colour balance, the light in my room is poo poo and turned the lilac to grey, so I tried to correct it in photoshop but I'm not very good.

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
Throw pillow 100cm square?

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
Or more realistically a couple of throw pillows like 40cm square, lol. After I did the math.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
I just dropped off my Baby Lock for service and I feel oddly bereft. At least the guy said he could get it back to me tomorrow (instead of the two weeks everywhere else) but I never thought I'd :qq: this hard over letting it out of my sight for a day. I think I'm gonna have to go troll the Halloween fabrics section at JoAnn's for a while.

:qq:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Oh god its Halloween and my six year old wants to be a shaolin monk. I got the generic McCall's 6184 karate gi pattern but I'd like to add a gusset to the pants for better kicking and alter the shirt so its more accurate (the shaolin shirts look longer to me and are a kind of wrap shirt with and inside and outside tie, see here and here, where you can sorta see the outside tie hanging down). It seems like they're as asymmetrical as well, with the overwrap part coming to more of a point at the point its tied.

Suggestions?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Oracle posted:

Oh god its Halloween and my six year old wants to be a shaolin monk. I got the generic McCall's 6184 karate gi pattern but I'd like to add a gusset to the pants for better kicking and alter the shirt so its more accurate (the shaolin shirts look longer to me and are a kind of wrap shirt with and inside and outside tie, see here and here, where you can sorta see the outside tie hanging down). It seems like they're as asymmetrical as well, with the overwrap part coming to more of a point at the point its tied.

Suggestions?

Wish I had my old tkd gi to take a pic and show you. The shirt is definitely a wrap shirt with ties like you said. That second pic makes it look weird because of the pose, but the bottom of the shirt flaps hang horizontally.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
Does anyone know of a good online retailer that has a good variety of lining fabric? I'm looking for something more interesting than just solid colors. I wanna make a peacoat I'm working on more interesting than just 'slab grey inside and out' and all I find are solids.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Reverend Cheddar posted:

Does anyone know of a good online retailer that has a good variety of lining fabric? I'm looking for something more interesting than just solid colors. I wanna make a peacoat I'm working on more interesting than just 'slab grey inside and out' and all I find are solids.

Then go with a non-standard lining. I recommend silk: go to goodwill, buy some interesting ties, unstitch them, and re-sew them into your lining. Then pictures.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Hey sewing friends! Just a heads up Butterick and Vogue patterns just went on sale this morning for $4.99 and $3.99 respectively. I had coincidentally put a bunch of stuff in my cart last night and then forgot about it so it was awesome to wake up to them being more than half off :)

Rufus En Fuego posted:

I just dropped off my Baby Lock for service and I feel oddly bereft. At least the guy said he could get it back to me tomorrow (instead of the two weeks everywhere else) but I never thought I'd :qq: this hard over letting it out of my sight for a day. I think I'm gonna have to go troll the Halloween fabrics section at JoAnn's for a while.

:qq:

I want to buy a serger but I keep getting overwhelmed with the amount of options out there. Would you recommend the baby lock for someone who only ever sews spandex? Which one do you have if you don't mind me asking?

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Queen Elizatits posted:

I want to buy a serger but I keep getting overwhelmed with the amount of options out there. Would you recommend the baby lock for someone who only ever sews spandex? Which one do you have if you don't mind me asking?

I'd recommend the Baby Lock to everyone, but if all you're going to do is sew spandex leggings and tank dresses and the like it isn't exactly necessary. Any run of the mill serger will do you just fine, especially since Babys can get really pricey. It's a quality machine, though, and if you have the funds and desire, go for it. You won't regret it.

Edit: I have the Enlighten. Bought it used ages ago.

Rufus En Fuego fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 9, 2012

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Queen Elizatits posted:

Hey sewing friends! Just a heads up Butterick and Vogue patterns just went on sale this morning for $4.99 and $3.99 respectively. I had coincidentally put a bunch of stuff in my cart last night and then forgot about it so it was awesome to wake up to them being more than half off :)

Dagnabbit. I just bought a new machine, I don't need to be spending more money! (Singer Fashion Mate for the curious. Normally $300 but Amazon Prime takes it down to $130. Haven't given it a test drive yet due to Real Life poo poo takin priority).

Anyway, for lock machines, use Baby Lock. There is no other acceptable answer :colbert:

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
So I'm attempting a halloween costume and I am using 100% polyester. I just spent an hour or two trying to sew it to no avail. The over thread (right term?) and bobbin thread aren't locking together or only doing it once. Is this to do with the needle size?

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Tasoth posted:

So I'm attempting a halloween costume and I am using 100% polyester. I just spent an hour or two trying to sew it to no avail. The over thread (right term?) and bobbin thread aren't locking together or only doing it once. Is this to do with the needle size?

A few things come to mind:

1) Wrong size needle for the fabric
2) If it's a knit, then you aren't using a ballpoint needle
3) Your thread tension is out of whack

Usually it's the third, but make sure you're using the right needle too. Is it a weave or a knit?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Tasoth posted:

This is possibly horrible and incredibly patronising, but is the bobbin thread pulled out the hole between the feed dogs or are you just popping it in, closing the gate and starting to sew? The last time I sewed anything I was twelve, so it took me a bit to work that issue out.

On the other hand, the first thing I made (and just stitched up the opening in the back last night) was this, and from tracing another vest I had so I don't feel I've done too bad considering.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
The thread is out from beneath the plate where the bobbin dwells. I think it is most likely the needle. The smallest I have is an 11. I also believe it is a knit, so I'm going to have go buy a needle. Thanks for the help.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
This seems like a good place to ask this question, hopefully I'm not in the wrong thread! I know nothing about any of this stuff as you will see!

I bought a dress for a friends wedding that I love to pieces and it was only $15! The problem is, it's a *juniors* dress and I, well, have pretty adult D cup boobs. It's way too small in the ribcage/boob area, it was the only dress in the store, and I think if I size up to fit my boobs it won't fit anywhere else, assuming I could even *find* it. It fits, but it's hell to put on. I have to put it on backwards and sloooowly shimmy it around bit by bit, and even then it squishes my boobs into pancakes.

http://www.windsorstore.com/Shop/Dresses/Homecoming-Dresses?v=1&sb=/Taylor-Teal-Homecoming-Dress/p/150152 this is the exact dress, except mine is mid calf length. You can see what the back looks like in one of the photos. Basically what I'm asking is this something that can be fixed somewhat easily? I was planning on spending a lot more on the dress so I have zero issue taking it to a tailor, but are they going to take one look at the dress and laugh me out of the store? The wedding isn't until the 27th, and I'm willing to throw $100 at the problem if it can be fixed. I was planning on wearing some sort of shrug/wrap anyhow for modesty reasons so I wouldn't expect the back to look exactly the same.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

Basically what I'm asking is this something that can be fixed somewhat easily?

... :ohdear:

... :smith:

I'm just gonna be straight-up honest; you picked possibly one of the most impossible types of dress to alter. Not only is this a no-shoulder f&f, it's also got that draping which I can almost guarantee is not going to survive going larger.

Logistically speaking, it is far easier and much more feasible (and this goes for any piece of clothing) to have things taken in, than taken up. You're dealing with a finite amount of fabric, after all, and the tailor has to work with what's there. We can't magically poof the perfect fabric to match the dress out of nowhere. Saying so, is there any possible way you can return yours, get a bigger size and have them take in the waist? Otherwise the tailor you go to is gonna bill you a lot more than you think, I think...

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
It was the only dress and is final sale to boot. If I'm out $15 I won't be too sad about it, and I *can* wear it, its just not super comfy! I'll take it to the tailor and see what they say. I'm fine with the back not perfectly matching (if they use say a plain solid color fabric) as that part of my back will be covered anyway. Will that make it easier for them? I really don't care what it looks like as long as it fits a bit better.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
Not the best solution but have you thought about smooshing your boobs down a bit?

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

That's basically what the dress does already when I'm wearing it. It sqooshes the hell out of my boobs! This is how I was able to get it on: put it on backwards. Zip up a bit. Suck it in. Finagle the zipper the rest of the way up. Dress is now on backwards! Reconsider life choices. Spend 5 minutes slowly but surely twisting dress around to the front. Shove my boobs in. Further reconsider life choices. Marvel at how much straighter I'm standing. Wonder if I can sit. Imagine a terrible moment of zipper breaking in the middle of Gangnam Style dance. Try to dance. Realize its 11 at night and you're wearing a ball gown and dancing in your bathroom. Post on the internet.

I'm hoping that since I do not care at all what the back looks like that it will give them more leeway to do something. Seriously they could put looney tunes fabric back there. I'll keep you guys updated!

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

That's basically what the dress does already when I'm wearing it. It sqooshes the hell out of my boobs! This is how I was able to get it on: put it on backwards. Zip up a bit. Suck it in. Finagle the zipper the rest of the way up. Dress is now on backwards! Reconsider life choices. Spend 5 minutes slowly but surely twisting dress around to the front. Shove my boobs in. Further reconsider life choices. Marvel at how much straighter I'm standing. Wonder if I can sit. Imagine a terrible moment of zipper breaking in the middle of Gangnam Style dance. Try to dance. Realize its 11 at night and you're wearing a ball gown and dancing in your bathroom. Post on the internet.

I'm hoping that since I do not care at all what the back looks like that it will give them more leeway to do something. Seriously they could put looney tunes fabric back there. I'll keep you guys updated!

It's your boobs, though. You're asking them to fix the y-axis but only using the x-axis :/ The issue isn't just having enough space, but making sure that this actually fits you like clothes are supposed to do. The proportions, cut, etc... (that's the problem with RTW clothes, I think! You can't just plug numbers into CAD and expect to come out with a perfect pattern every time. As I like to tell people I live in a world of millimeters; that's how exact a lot of stuff is...)

Just for reference, how big of a difference are we talking about with bust v. fit? Give hard numbers. Is it just the dress being a size too small or is this like, unholy muffin top drooping like cheez-whiz from the canister?

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

It was the only dress and is final sale to boot. If I'm out $15 I won't be too sad about it, and I *can* wear it, its just not super comfy! I'll take it to the tailor and see what they say. I'm fine with the back not perfectly matching (if they use say a plain solid color fabric) as that part of my back will be covered anyway. Will that make it easier for them? I really don't care what it looks like as long as it fits a bit better.

The main problem with what you want to do is you want to put the extra fabric to provide the room for your bust in the wrong place. The space needs to go over your boobs, and you want to put it in the back.

If pull the dress on with the back unzipped, with the front pulled up over your boobs, the rest of the dress fits like poo poo. There are big ripples over your sides, the front gapes funny, the top line of the bodice is all messed up, and the skirt might even hang weird. The dress is not meant to hang this way, it's meant to hang the way it was made, with the zipper done up. This is what you want the tailor to do to the dress with extra fabric.

Like others have said, there is really no way to make that dress fit PROPERLY and have it cost less than a FEW hundred dollars. Any tailor that can make proper adjustments like that is gonna charge a lot because they are practically creating a new dress.

Maybe you can find a corset style top somewhere and have someone make the skirt of the dress into an actual skirt? That would mimic the look of the dress without having to completely re-do the bodice.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

Anything involving clothes making is so far out of my area of knowledge, so thank you ladies for being so helpful. I can provide numbers when i get home. For reference, here's a photo of it on. You can see the dreaded fatty overhang by my arm there.

Pardon the messy bathroom. http://imgur.com/olrCa.jpg

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
That's a little less bad then it sounded. Maybe if you got some "structured shapewear" AKA a cincher or something it would compress your squishy zones enough so that you don't worry about a wardrobe malfunction?

ALSO: I'm going to be sewing a new ren faire bodice and skirt for me and a dress for my kid, should I post it here or make a new thread?

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

Anything involving clothes making is so far out of my area of knowledge, so thank you ladies for being so helpful. I can provide numbers when i get home. For reference, here's a photo of it on. You can see the dreaded fatty overhang by my arm there.

Pardon the messy bathroom. http://imgur.com/olrCa.jpg

S'okay. My bedroom is worse!

Anyway... well at least this isn't a total integer overflow we're dealing with. There's gotta be like spanx or something that could help you out. It wouldn't be totally impossible to fix this one, but the added fabric would absolutely have to be on the side seams and I dunno if there's enough fabric on that drape over the bodice for it.

Otherwise, welp. Ladies have been sucking it in and belting up their chests since the beginning of history; you could just think of it as carrying on a long tradition :v:

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

Yeah, its not *terrible*, its mostly just a major pain in the rear end to put on. My description of putting it on isn't an exaggeration, it took a good 5 minutes! Sounds like it probably won't be worth it to get fixed, as I don't plan on wearing it often! (its for a masquerade wedding reception) Luckily unsightly overhanging fat will be obscured by coverups. My main concern is popping a zipper... I can keep an emergency little black dress on hand just in case.

Industrial strength spanx + more careful eating will hopefully help a tiny bit. Thanks again ladies! You saved me from a worthless and embarrassing trip to a tailor

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Amykinz posted:

ALSO: I'm going to be sewing a new ren faire bodice and skirt for me and a dress for my kid, should I post it here or make a new thread?

Here or the cosplay thread. We've started posting ren faire/reenactment things over there.

this catte
Dec 3, 2011

I've been forcing myself to put off purchasing a machine for months now, while studying the (original of course) reader's digest complete, but tonight my will broke, especially considering I'm two paychecks into a new job. It's on.

I suspect my creations would end up being more welcome in the cosplay thread with my ridiculously loud style, but nonetheless, hello, stitchgoons. I like to make things out of fleece that people don't normally make out of fleece, as well as make bright, costume-loud garments that aren't actually costumes, just bold. So far, I've stuck to talking with fashion designer friends, and studying the RD Complete. I had my concept for my ideal hoodie made real by a talented seamstress a while back, and that was what sealed the deal for me, and I knew I had to acquire these skills for myself.

I am a graphic/web/interface/motion designer by trade, so I think I might be bringing some unique angles and approaches to things, assuming I can actually work a machine. Is anyone else in here a digital artist type by trade who's branched into clothing, or am I alone in that?

My current goal project is a lab-coat themed trench coat of sorts, in white fleece with purple lining, and some pretty fancy techniques for the finishing and detailing... so I'll be practicing quite a bit first since that's super ambitious. It's for a friend who is a scientist.

Questions:

What is a good way to mark out lines for cutting or stitching on poly-fleece that will both stay put while I work, and wash out when I'm done?

If I want to line a poly-fleece garment with something lightweight, what is ideal? My concern here is that whatever I use should not shrink differently from the fleece when washed, because I know how that ends... or would washing the fabric before even assembling the garment fix this?

How plausible / attainable is completely custom printed pattern fabric in small quantities? like, say, I design a pattern in Illustrator and want it printed in black ink onto 3 yards of pink cotton, or something. Does this exist as A Thing and how much am I gonna end up paying? If I need really small amounts of something for detailing I'd probably just hand draw it with those "industrial" sharpies, but I might need enough to line, say, an entire hoodie, but just one or two.

Thanks~

this catte fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Oct 13, 2012

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

this catte posted:

How plausible / attainable is completely custom printed pattern fabric in small quantities? like, say, I design a pattern in Illustrator and want it printed in black ink onto 3 yards of pink cotton, or something. Does this exist as A Thing and how much am I gonna end up paying? If I need really small amounts of something for detailing I'd probably just hand draw it with those "industrial" sharpies, but I might need enough to line, say, an entire hoodie, but just one or two.

Not sure about the other things, but for fabric you might want to try Spoonflower. It can be a bit pricey (around $20-25 per yard for basic cottons), but they do offer completely custom fabric printing, and you can also shop designs that other people have made public. You can order test swatches, fat quarters, or by the yard. Be sure to read the whole FAQ though, because there are some limitations to the type of printing they do.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
I have a really nice machine and I would like to get into making some clothes, is there any good patterns for starters?

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
It really depends on the type of things you like. You could make a pair of PJ pants, or a skirt, or a purse, or a pillow, or an apron. A lot of pattern books have an "EZ" section. Go to your friendly local fabric store, find out the patterns that are on sale that day, and look at the books to see something you like.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Better yet, see if they offer sewing classes or 'learning how to use your sewing machine' classes and sign up. At Joann's at least they run around 45 bucks, so they're not bank-breakers.

dementish
Oct 8, 2012
New to the sewing community on SA, not new to sewing, though. I'm self-older serger (Merritlock Singer- It has never broken down in the years that I've had it). I've gotta say, I'm loving looking at all your creations and getting ideas. I've learned quite a few new things, too. ^_^

Unoriginal posted:

I made a messenger bag for a craft swap. I've never made a bag before and I made a few mistakes, but overall, I'm REALLY proud of how it came out. I didn't make any giant mistakes (except burning the front panel fabric once and having to remake it, but I that was partly the ironing board's fault) and I only ironed my hand once. I haven't had a project go right in forever so this is a huge confidence booster for me.

Whaaaaa! I would have traded everything brought for that bag... I would throw money at you for this, it's just great. As you may have figured, I am in love with Adventure Time, and just did my first AT cosplay this year (made by me, of course). :) But cosplay isn't all I do. I do small bags, shirts, reconstruction and alterations, and accessories of all kinds.

~~
So do any of you have a good recommendation for an good embroidery machine? I don't think I want the one that only embroiders up to 5x5, and I would really like something that I could program my own designs into, but I am sure I should start a little more basic than that...

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.

Amykinz posted:

It really depends on the type of things you like. You could make a pair of PJ pants, or a skirt, or a purse, or a pillow, or an apron. A lot of pattern books have an "EZ" section. Go to your friendly local fabric store, find out the patterns that are on sale that day, and look at the books to see something you like.

Oracle posted:

Better yet, see if they offer sewing classes or 'learning how to use your sewing machine' classes and sign up. At Joann's at least they run around 45 bucks, so they're not bank-breakers.

I know how to use the machine. I have made simple things. I have made pillows, curtains, a pyrex casserole cover/carrier. I have just never made an article of clothing

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

I know how to use the machine. I have made simple things. I have made pillows, curtains, a pyrex casserole cover/carrier. I have just never made an article of clothing

Most pattern brands have a "beginners" line, e.g. Very Easy Vogue (though vogue has a reputation for being tougher than other brands?). Just pick one out that seems alright. You might end up making a couple things that you don't really love, but no biggie. Maybe try to pick ones that teach you a new skill each time (button holes, zippers, facings, bias bindings, etc.)

Do you have a general sewing book? I have a Reader's Digest book that covers fastenings in way more detail than most patterns and it's a handy reference.

edit: haha, just looked at Simplicity's and Butterick's easy lines and a lot of it is awful, but there are a few basic pieces in there that could get you started.

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 18, 2012

this catte
Dec 3, 2011

So, in finally scaling things up and attempting a larger practice project with poly fleece, I've discovered that keeping edges pinned nicely on stretchy fabric is actually kind of a challenge. Does anyone have any tips for a good way to keep, say, 3 layers of poly fleece all lined up neat and nice? The pins I used slipped just enough as I was sewing to slide the middle layer sideways a bit and mess the whole join up. :saddowns: With how thick and fluffy and stretchy it is, it is really tough to keep a stable stacked edge as I work, or maybe I'm just missing something really obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

this catte posted:

So, in finally scaling things up and attempting a larger practice project with poly fleece, I've discovered that keeping edges pinned nicely on stretchy fabric is actually kind of a challenge. Does anyone have any tips for a good way to keep, say, 3 layers of poly fleece all lined up neat and nice? The pins I used slipped just enough as I was sewing to slide the middle layer sideways a bit and mess the whole join up. :saddowns: With how thick and fluffy and stretchy it is, it is really tough to keep a stable stacked edge as I work, or maybe I'm just missing something really obvious.

Take the time to baste it, maybe?