Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
I'm not sure how it was hard to understand. In fact call of duty used this exact QTE for climbing a mountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khoryos
May 16, 2011

Ryoga posted:

I'm not sure how it was hard to understand. In fact call of duty used this exact QTE for climbing a mountain.

Well, the fact that the button images pulsated suggested more of an alternate tapping method, which didn't do jack poo poo - plus, you didn't have to hit the other button while holding the first in CoD, and the on-screen guide was much clearer.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I know i'm in the huge minority here but I found all the controls, aside for maybe the herb reloading, really intuitive. When I look at the bottom of my HUD and see two different firing modes with a button telling me how to switch between them I can understand it just fine. Same with the dodging - if you press a direction and the "movement" button, you move out the way.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Have to say, as much as I enjoyed playing it, after finishing the game, I'm in absolutely no hurry to pick it up again. Actually considering trading it in for XCOM already. Considering RE5 had a metric ton of unlockables, this is a sad turn of events, I have to say.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Have to say, as much as I enjoyed playing it, after finishing the game, I'm in absolutely no hurry to pick it up again. Actually considering trading it in for XCOM already. Considering RE5 had a metric ton of unlockables, this is a sad turn of events, I have to say.
It seems like they were hoping to keep people playing with RE.net competition for titles and new and exclusive unlockables for champs, but what they have right now isn't as impressive as it should be...

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd
I'm surprised the climb QTE threw people, I "got it" off the bat. I died on the first pass because I was too busy looking at the graphics to punch buttons, but that's my fault.

I'm really enjoying this game so far, but I'm only still in Leon's campaign and haven't started the other two. I totally get where people would have issues with unexplained things, but I'm having too much fun to care that the heal system is odd or that I'm dragging an AI along.

My biggest gripe is that Chris looks like he's holding a Taurus or something on the back of the case. Guy really did fall on hard times I guess. I hope it's just the box art, because that will drive me nuts all campaign. I definitely want my Beretta back.

The goofy gun names bother me a lot, because stuff like that goes a long way toward making the illusion work, but at least some of the choices this time are different and fun. I think Helena carries a Steyr and that's cool as hell.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

J2DK posted:

Edit: I read a few pages back and see people complaining about the melee. The context sensitive moves are still there. Shoot someone in the head, arm, or leg, run up to them and melee to get a specialized attack that is usually a one hit Edit 2: I saw someone talking about a lack of ammo and herbs in Chris's campaign compared to Leon's. I've been playing as the second character in all the campaigns and haven't had any trouble with ammo. My RE partner did start to run dry in Chris's final fight, though. I tend to get really miserly with my ammo and go for very precise shots. I just started Chapter 2 as Sherry and I have well over 150 9mm bullets.

That was probably me. After finishing all of the campaigns and going through Chris' again, I'm gonna chalk it up to me getting used to the game and not exploring enough corners for the smashable item boxes. I do wish the game wouldn't drop ammo types that you have the infinite ammo skill equipped for. I'm too used to mashing X to pick up everything without looking at what it is. Infinite shotgun is awesome though.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Hey so here's something awesome about Jake most people probably wont know about since the game sucks poo poo at communicating to the player:
When doing the charge-dash-punch thing (hold aim+attack), during the part when he's sprinting towards the targeted enemy you can roll to the sides or do backflips as much as you want without having to charge the attack again - he'll just continue running instantly after you do a dodge. When his first hit connects, you can actually keep doing a crazy combo if you just keep mashing the triggers. He'll throw out like five different real damaging melee moves and can beat the poo poo out of a crowd of enemies in seconds. I took on three Napads with that move, didn't even get a scratch :cool:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

All the unlockables are on RE.net

Register there and link your account, you can use points to get costumes for characters and whatnot.

Also I fully admit, I wish they'd of traded in Agent Hunt for a few more Mercs Maps. Agent hunt is such garbage right now.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
How do you use the wallpapers from RE.net? I don't see them anywhere.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
I think Agent Hunt is pretty sweet, but it could use some tweaking.

1) People on Amateur or using infinite ammo shouldn't be able to allow agent hunters, because it just makes it frustrating bullshit and there's basically no way to tell. If they allow it anyway, you should be able to filter them out when you do a search.
2) Joining a friend's game as a creature. I've done this once by accident and it was awesome, but it should be an actual feature.
3) An option to stay in a friend's game if you kill them or they make it to the next area.

It's a really cool gameplay feature, and the only other game I can think of like it is Mindjack, so anything Capcom can do to improve it would just be fantastic.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Started Leon's campaign... Yeah the game just went into overdrive! Seriously the first two chapters feel just like RE2... And thanks to jake's campaign I went at then with just a knife... It was glorious to slice upwards and watching them actually register a neck swipe... So good :unsmith:

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

So I watched the "All Taunts" video and at the end there's a character I haven't seen before. Looks like a BSAA agent. How do you unlock him? S rank everything or something?

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hey, whats considered the best version of RE4? I have the original gamecube version that doesn't have the extra content. I'm guessing the HD ones on the PS3/360? I heard they had technical issues or were low quality ports or something?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

He's not an actual character yet. Supposedly he's the partner for the DLC co-op version of Ada's campaign. Also, he's not a BSAA soldier. Apparently he's just called "The Agent", and doesn't have any BSAA markings or anything on him.

He's probably just a HUNK ripoff or something, but hopefully he's got a new moveset when he's added in (and a good loadout in mercs)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AASman posted:

Hey, whats considered the best version of RE4? I have the original gamecube version that doesn't have the extra content. I'm guessing the HD ones on the PS3/360? I heard they had technical issues or were low quality ports or something?

The Wii version is typically considered the best due to the aiming system working really, really well. If thats not an option the 360/PS3 versions are best as they're fully inclusive of the PS2 content but look as good as the Gamecube version.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't seen anyone post this yet. If they have sorry, but here's some tidbits on melee.

It's like 5 in that there are different levels of stun (the ones that you could build up off of arm shots in 5), but you can build up to your own highest level of stun without needing a partner. There are also different levels of Melee.

Stuns
Level 1: The zombie flinches and turns it back to you. Spamming melee attacks, some charge attacks, or arm or headshots will cause this.

Level 2: The zombie goes into a full spin. Some monsters don't animate like this and instead assume some other super vulnerable pose ("incap") to show they are stunned. You can melee attack a level 1 stunned zombie into level 2 if you come in front the proper direction to avoid doing a melee finisher.

Melee
Level 1: Normal attacks, just spamming square. A couple of hits will usually put a zombie or other monster into a Level 1 stun. Some dash attacks (like Chris) will also do this.

Level 2: Attacks off of Level 1 stun, depending on direction these can either be insta-kill grabs or cause knockdown.

Level 3: Attacks off of a level 2 stun or a stronger enemy's "incap" mode. These usually aren't as flashy as level 2 melees, but they are incredibly strong, almost always kill, and usually hit in a wide radius around the user. Helena's dropkick is nasty if you've managed to knock a level 2 stunned zombie into a crowd of other monsters.

Environment

There are also "environment" kills that have you use your surroundings to kill your targets in someways. These will take precedent over L2 or L3 melees but always kill from what I've seen. The one's I've seen in Mercs can be done against walls/boxes/counters (head smashes) or against railings/pits (zombie tossing). It is possible to sneak up on monsters and see these special animations.

Counters

I bitched about 5 (even though I loved it) because sometimes you'd get into inescapable situations in mercs. Sometimes your 5 shots into a leg or arm won't stun the zombie and you'd take an auto-tracking pipe to the skull. But this game gives you a way out in every situation. To counter you just press square at the right time when an enemy is about to attack you. You can counter nearly everything except (from what I've seen) the biggest monsters. There's even some boss counters.

Counter-timing is also dependent on the enemy's attack. Grabs feel like they need to be countered a little earlier than weapon swings, and a red pounce is delayed versus a normal zombie pounce. But one cool thing that makes the knife stand out if that you get different counters with the knife. Normally when fighting mutated j'avo, Chris would just duck and punch them away. But with the knife, he ducks and then guts them. I've seen slight various with different guns too.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Twelve Batmans posted:

But with the knife, he ducks and then guts them. I've seen slight various with different guns too.

Leon (Pirate Leon!) with an AK stabs them with the bayonet on it in some of his grab melee.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
They need to patch in the guy saying RESIDENT EVIL... SIX, on the title screen. It only did it the first time I played.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The best counter is against bloodshots. In Mercs online I like to frequently get them all chasing me then I flip those fuckers like burgers.

The only downside is when
A: Lag means I get tackled
or
B: My partner decides to try it and doesn't know the timing to catch them

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The best counter is against bloodshots. In Mercs online I like to frequently get them all chasing me then I flip those fuckers like burgers.

The only downside is when
A: Lag means I get tackled
or
B: My partner decides to try it and doesn't know the timing to catch them

The brief second of unexpected lag is the worst. I can flip a bloodshot every time in single player but there's always that one annoying moment when it pauses at juuust the right time.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Leyburn posted:

They need to patch in the guy saying RESIDENT EVIL... SIX, on the title screen. It only did it the first time I played.

Also Mercs voice announcements at the start/end. By Josh Stone.

Speaking of old characters, there's no mention of Jill in this at all is there? I didn't hear any, at least.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
So annoyed with myself playing mercenaries tonight, 3 times I was killed by the fat zombies because they came out of nowhere and my partners were on the other side of the map. Would be nice if you could keep the skill points that you earned without having to complete the map.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Thievery posted:

Also Mercs voice announcements at the start/end. By Josh Stone.

Speaking of old characters, there's no mention of Jill in this at all is there? I didn't hear any, at least.
There isn't unless theres something in the files. She's probably off doing something important while Chris became an alcoholic for six months.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I finally got a 150 combo on Mercs for the first time ever on Urban Chaos, I'm now at a lofty 5000th on the PS3 leaderboard. Thank you random internet stranger for helping me out.

We did it in style using Jake and Leon's alternate costumes too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Friend posted this on my Facebook and I thought you guys would enjoy:

"Resident Evil 6 is the best game of all time"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fQeoaecSfU

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

It's better when you do that from Chris's perspective because it's so drat soul crushing. The camera angle is perfect.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Friend posted this on my Facebook and I thought you guys would enjoy:

"Resident Evil 6 is the best game of all time"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fQeoaecSfU

The best part about that is that it happens during what's supposed to be a very tense moment where one of your guys just got dragged off by a giant invisible snake and you're chasing after them. Then you ride on the panda and all the tension is just gone. :allears:

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Leyburn posted:

It does that if you let the 10 second intro play before the title screen.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

So you can't back out of a chapter until you've completed it? The internet went out for a split second during a co-op game and we backed out. I figured you could continue at checkpoints.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Checkpoints are where you respawn when you die. Savepoints are where you can quit and continue from.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Some dude named Absolute Steve who wrote a great guide for RE5, has started his RE6 guide over at Gamefaqs, and he breaks down some of the numbers for the skill settings.

It looks like there might be some interesting skill loadouts to try once you have gone to the bother of unlocking them all. Curiously Firearms Lvl. 3 looks a lot less powerful than I would have imagined, according to this it's only an extra +30%. Compare that to the +50% you get for Zombie/Javo Hunter or the mammoth +100% bonuses for the weapon specific skills.

Of course stack all three of those together and you will be looking at a potential +180% damage.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What's a good way to grind skill points if you're bad at mercenaries?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Len posted:

What's a good way to grind skill points if you're bad at mercenaries?

Play Chris' fifth chapter until you finish the pressurization room and kill all the chrysalids that spawn from the conveyor belts. Move to the next area and then start again.

You can earn 20,000 every 7 minutes doing it.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

There's a free DLC coming next week that adds co-op to the hidden campaign and a difficulty called No Hope.

why do these things need to be DLC, especially the new co-op addition where the character will probably disappear during the cutscenes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GUI posted:

There's a free DLC coming next week that adds co-op to the hidden campaign and a difficulty called No Hope.

why do these things need to be DLC, especially the new co-op addition where the character will probably disappear during the cutscenes.

I assume the co-op for the hidden campaign was something they decided to add later on and it wasn't finished. Online play for Mercenaries was a download for RE5 also if I recall, although it was launch day.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

GUI posted:

No idea, but at least it's free! That alone is a huge step forward for Capcom.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

They cut off a month of development time/polish time at the very minimum, from moving the date from 11-11-12 to October 2nd, so it's probably just that stuff.

I hope that character actually has lines because the taunt he has is stupid and imagining that guy in the superspy themed campaign is really funny.

Supposedly everything that's been mentioned as on-disk DLC is free, but everything else is paid for. Including the 4-player/6-player modes and stuff.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I really hate that they're adding him to the secret campaign. There's literally no reason for it and I think it'll totally demolish the flow and balance of Ada's story. He's not in any cutscenes, he's never talked to, never acknowledged... why the hell does he have to be there? It makes no sense.

Edit: Seriously, I can't even imagine how scenes like Deborah or chainsaw dude are going to go now, talk about hamfisted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I thought the partner system for Ada just meant they would let her participate in the story intersections.