Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
I got super lucky spending the 1.4 mill I'd saved up: Volus Eng, Turian Ghost, Collector Rifle, Collector SMG, Indra, Javelin, Collector Sniper, Particle Rifle, and Talon. I had all the URs except the new ones and the Indra, but it's nice to get upgrades. Got a bunch of other gold crap too.

Tried the Volus Eng, died a lot. Can't hide in cover, which threw me off. And it seems like everything got a lot harder. Dragoons are a bitch, and Geth Bombers should not be that hard to kill.

I tried to spec the Ghost for ARs like it seems to want you to, and it sucks. You don't have enough shields to shoot long enough to really use the 20 seconds of bonus damage. Switched back to sniper rifles, did fine. The jetpack dodge is pretty sweet.

I'm not a huge fan of the stim pack or whatever power, either. I always forget to use it, and besides the free shield boost it doesn't seem worth putting too many points into.

Generally is fun, though. Nice to see new poo poo but it seems like with the weapon boosts and more tech explosions that the old biotic classes aren't as useful. I'd still roll an Asari Adept for Stasis on Cerberus, maybe, but there's two other classes with the same power that have more versatility these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Just tried the new paladin. HOLY poo poo, DEM EXPLOSIONS.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I'm pretty sure the bubble does nothing about THE BEES.

White was a big map before, but now I feel like I spend more time running through empty hallways than fighting.

Perhaps we'll all get used to Collectors soon, but nearly every game I play feels like a "that's enough for tonight" game. If the team isn't firing on all cylinders, I wind up burning all my medigel as we get suicide-bombed, bee-d, multi-fragged, and captain-stabbed into oblivion.

Still haven't seen any new environment maps except Dagger; maybe Bioware is just prepping us for a Zatoichi class who can play the game completely blind.

GulMadred posted:

That's a bonus. The animation is stupidly long and your character almost invariably gets shot to death, so the Praetorian just wastes time while your allies retreat and/or regroup.
I saw a revive prompt this afternoon on a Krogan who was still dangling in midair getting shanked and brought him back to life. :raise:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I kept getting this weird temporary glitch where I couldn't shoot, activate powers, or do things like revive people, but could still move around just fine. It usually went away after about 10 seconds.

I have to say that for all the complaining about the Collectors, I didn't find them to be that bad, apart from occasional weird things like either a possessed abomination or scion suddenly taking out the three pubbies I was playing with on Reactor all at once. Most of the units don't seem to be huge HP sponges (except the scion), although the praetorian seems to resist power damage even when its shield isn't up. Overall their ranged game seems rather weak.

Speaking of Reactor, the core doesn't seem to do much to enemies; I saw a collector come right through the door the instant it opened, still alive despite theoretically being roasted.

I'm a bit amused that Reapers now feel like the least BS faction.

The Volus shield restore is really, really good on higher difficulty levels.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Does explosive ammo set off techsplosions? I slammed some on my Paladin to test it out but I couldn't tell because there was so much going on everywhere. Maybe I'll test it on bronze next time I get some.

Arcaeris posted:

I'm not a huge fan of the stim pack or whatever power, either. I always forget to use it, and besides the free shield boost it doesn't seem worth putting too many points into.

Look how wrong you are.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
The noise a Praetorian makes is one of the most terrifying and annoying things now. :stare:

I played a couple of games last night and I still need to make my mind up about the Collectors. On the one hand, working out the new enemy movements and patterns in fun, but it also feels like there are a couple of issues with animations matching attacks and hitboxes. Are the seeker swarms immune to powers or something?

I'm really having fun with a Human Engineer and the grenade launcher assault rifle (I forget the name). It's inaccurate as hell, but when you've got a bunch of mobs moving through a choke point it's a great source of crowd control!

Also the Overload-Grenade to the face combo is hilarious.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

I thought the QFE would be awesome after the combo boost, but I was wrong. The reason: cryo blast doesn't trigger fire bursts and only sets up cryo bursts if it fully freezes the target.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Arcaeris posted:

I got super lucky spending the 1.4 mill I'd saved up: Volus Eng, Turian Ghost, Collector Rifle, Collector SMG, Indra, Javelin, Collector Sniper, Particle Rifle, and Talon. I had all the URs except the new ones and the Indra, but it's nice to get upgrades. Got a bunch of other gold crap too.

Tried the Volus Eng, died a lot. Can't hide in cover, which threw me off. And it seems like everything got a lot harder. Dragoons are a bitch, and Geth Bombers should not be that hard to kill.

I tried to spec the Ghost for ARs like it seems to want you to, and it sucks. You don't have enough shields to shoot long enough to really use the 20 seconds of bonus damage. Switched back to sniper rifles, did fine. The jetpack dodge is pretty sweet.

Generally is fun, though. Nice to see new poo poo but it seems like with the weapon boosts and more tech explosions that the old biotic classes aren't as useful. I'd still roll an Asari Adept for Stasis on Cerberus, maybe, but there's two other classes with the same power that have more versatility these days.

I fully agree with you on bombers. Lose the shields and they'll be a lot more reasonable.

If you happen to have a Saber, try that on the Ghost. It's pretty much a sniper rifle anyway, and you can take advantage of the AR damage boost with it.

And the Stim pack is excellent. It uses grenade ammunition to give you up to 4000 shields instantly, with no cooldown. Plus you get a nice damage bonus. Remembering to use it is tricky, but one you do it's pretty drat handy.

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW
Agg gently caress I dropped into a few matches to test this poo poo out and on a gold round in HazReactor I made a fatal flaw: some dude was luring in a possessed abomination to go hand-to-hand and crush its skull to avoid it exploding, but I lit the thing up anyway...as the last killing bullet left my gun I was like :stonk: as I suddenly remembered that they loving go off when they die. Oops, sorry dude, luckily the team was pretty on point and they got revived immediately.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Elotana posted:

Farming with noclip powers in that Glacier room was even lamer and more boring than White/Geth and I'm glad they nerfed it. I tried it once, never again.

Have to disagree, I found Glacier Plat farming pretty enjoyable compared to White and never went back to that. With 4 Demolishers crammed into the control room it got pretty hilarious, like we were hosting some giant exploding party with all the enemies invited. Also managed to clear it with 3 Geth infils and 1 Geth engy specced for shields all armed with Pirahnas. Biotics aren't always the fastest way to go and I failed objectives more times with them then going all Demolisher/Geth.

You can actually uninstall the Retaliation DLC (transfer it to a USB on 360/PS3) to reset Glacier/White, then farm and reinstall afterwards. The only catch is that the new Challenges progress won't be counted while the DLC isn't installed.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Radio Paranoia posted:

I played a couple of games last night and I still need to make my mind up about the Collectors. On the one hand, working out the new enemy movements and patterns in fun, but it also feels like there are a couple of issues with animations matching attacks and hitboxes. Are the seeker swarms immune to powers or something?

I can confirm the seekers are not immune to powers. I specifically warp murdered several.

The Praetorians seem to atleast resistant to powers (detonation immune?) while the shield is up, but vulnerable as usual while on legs.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Dezinus posted:

Goddamn Dragoons are some bullshit. It's like a fast Brute with a rapid-fire Phantom gun. And a stomping boot.

If only the Cerberus defectors could be so useful... :sigh:

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

I thought the QFE would be awesome after the combo boost, but I was wrong. The reason: cryo blast doesn't trigger fire bursts and only sets up cryo bursts if it fully freezes the target.

At least one nice thing for QFE and geth engineer is that it's easy to set off a fire explosion using the sentry turrets' flamethrower now. Incinerate can even do it.

They ought to make cryo do a lot more damage since it's now the hardest to pull off and the most similar to old-style explosions.

Adrian Owlsley fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 10, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Does anyone have any specific gameplay tips for a Fury? I clicked with the class earlier, but I'm not yet as smooth with it as I am Vanguard.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

JackMackerel posted:

If only the Cerberus defectors could be so useful... :sigh:

Especially now that Singularity got nerfed again.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Paracelsus posted:

Especially now that Singularity got nerfed again.

You mean buffed right? They prime regardless of health type now. They pick up new guys without having to pick a specific upgrade for it and the rank 6 detonation is a biotic detonator.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

You mean buffed right? They prime regardless of health type now. They pick up new guys without having to pick a specific upgrade for it and the rank 6 detonation is a biotic detonator.

Yes, but today's balance changes increased the base cooldown. Apparently it was always supposed to be 25 seconds but the October 2 balance changes didn't include it.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

That's the duration. And with the end-of-singularity detonation being so goddamn awesome, a reduction in duration is a buff more than anything.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Welp, Collectors sure are weird and tricky and Scions have some major bullshit going on, but overall I don't find them TOO bad. We cleared FB Dagger against Collectors on Gold with a team of 4 Kroguards. It got somewhat hairy but we got a full extraction and all. And I'm not sure, but I THINK the possessed abomination nukesplosion might damage enemies as well. At any rate, Krogan backhand smashing one out of the door into a pack of enemies looked loving badass.

The Geth now, though.... argh. We had a pretty well setup team and wiped on wave 3 hack objective. Then my internet decided it wanted to save me from the pain and crapped out on me. So that's why I disappeared, sorry guys.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

So what nameplates are people going for first? I definitely want Biotic God, but apparently Pull Mastery requires you to do 50,000 points of damage with it. Hopefully I'm gauging this incorrectly and it won't actually take six years to accomplish.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

So what nameplates are people going for first? I definitely want Biotic God, but apparently Pull Mastery requires you to do 50,000 points of damage with it. Hopefully I'm gauging this incorrectly and it won't actually take six years to accomplish.

Is there a list somewhere of what you can get?

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I'm more than 50% done on Pull in one (long) afternoon of play, so it's not that bad. I think I had 4-5 games on gold as a Drell Adept.

Edit: But now that I check, I've got 50% of Singularity done and I played only 1 silver game as a Human Adept. Hmm. Also, it looks like you only need to do 14 of the 16 challenges for the award.

Adrian Owlsley posted:

Is there a list somewhere of what you can get?
Check your manifest. They've overhauled it.

subroc fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 10, 2012

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Neat, I guess it's probably BSN-ish but I want machinist since I usually play a tech class and like the arc pistol and quarian classes.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

Arcaeris posted:

I tried to spec the Ghost for ARs like it seems to want you to, and it sucks. You don't have enough shields to shoot long enough to really use the 20 seconds of bonus damage.

Thats what stimpacks are for.

Arcaeris posted:

Oh. Well theres your problem.

I'm not sure you forgetting to use it makes it a bad power. Its well worth taking to 6. Instant 4000 shields + 10% weapon damage for 9 seconds? Yes please. Take a grenade gear and use them constantly. Restock at the end of the round from ammo boxes. Literally never die.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

subroc posted:

I'm more than 50% done on Pull in one (long) afternoon of play, so it's not that bad. I think I had 4-5 games on gold as a Drell Adept.

Edit: But now that I check, I've got 50% of Singularity done and I played only 1 silver game as a Human Adept. Hmm. Also, it looks like you only need to do 14 of the 16 challenges for the award.

I think they only count "Detonate X Biotic Explosions" toward the achievement once, although I could be wrong. Pull Mastery isn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be, I even specced my Drell for the damage-over-time evolution to help things along.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Pretty sure it counts combos they're involved in. I just got the carnage one in about an hour by playing Krogan Soldier and going Inferno Grenade --> Carnage.

The changes to fire explosions make the Krogan Soldier not just viable but absolutely amazing. Fire explosions everywhere.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

DatonKallandor posted:

That's the duration. And with the end-of-singularity detonation being so goddamn awesome, a reduction in duration is a buff more than anything.

Yea, they just lowered it's base duration from 25 seconds to 8. Every other buff it got remains the same.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I think the description for the power related challenges says to "score X points" with a power, not "deal X damage."

I got the Collector SMG I and at that level it seems pretty useless, at least on a power intensive class like the Fury. It just doesn't have enough "ammo" to sustain fire for too long before you have to go through the very long purging heat animation which can be interrupted by everything.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Still haven't seen any new environment maps except Dagger; maybe Bioware is just prepping us for a Zatoichi class who can play the game completely blind.

They have a system set up where they're going to rotate two hazard maps per week. This week it's Dagger and Reactor. There's a dev doing a Q&A about the maps on BSN, when asked if they would ever make all of them permanently available he said they would gather fan feedback on that matter. I think the Dagger one is pretty lame (and the blizzard version of White sounds like it will be the same type of thing), it's just "gently caress you you can't see" to the player while the enemies remain unaffected. At least with Reactor they can get hosed up by the core too, provided they don't phase right through the closed doors.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
Upon reflection, I am not sure the new factions and map changes are fun yet. It feels like a few balance changes are needed first- we are basically play testing for Bioware. Seeing I am at 219 hours played, maybe taking a short break from the game while the fix some of the balance issues may be healthy.

But I have both Volus classes, and haven't even tried my new Turian. Maybe just a few quick Silver rounds. . .

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I haven't had much success on Reactor Hazard (this sounds like a Sonic 2 zone) because all my teammates so far have insisted on humping the reactor room entrance, which is probably the worst place on the map to camp besides the reactor itself. Dagger is annoying but not too terrible, would be better if the storm phased in and out between rounds. If there's some type of reward like double credits or challenge points for doing them that'd be cool.

On a related note, the Council Operative achievement list includes challenges for "Asari Commando" and no, it's not the Vanguard. And the upcoming Sentinel is labeled "Valkyerie." Could this be a future Asari Soldier class?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

I haven't had much success on Reactor Hazard (this sounds like a Sonic 2 zone) because all my teammates so far have insisted on humping the reactor room entrance, which is probably the worst place on the map to camp besides the reactor itself. Dagger is annoying but not too terrible, would be better if the storm phased in and out between rounds. If there's some type of reward like double credits or challenge points for doing them that'd be cool.

On a related note, the Council Operative achievement list includes challenges for "Asari Commando" and no, it's not the Vanguard. And the upcoming Sentinel is labeled "Valkyerie." Could this be a future Asari Soldier class?

The Asari Commando is an Infiltrator. Cloak, Warp, Throw, I think? Might have been Dark Channel instead of Warp.

Also, the only bonus you get from the hazard maps is +15% EXP.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I thought she was labeled Huntress though -- she doesn't have Throw but does have DC.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I'm loving the Hazard Reactor. It's so much fun to lure Brutes in there and roast them.

And the explosion changes have made the Paladin the king of the crowd control. Snap Freeze through walls, and have anyone follow up with anything at all (Arc Grenade through the wall!) and everything is slowed and hurt a lot. It works on anything. Bosses, Armor, Barrier, Shields, Health.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

exquisite tea posted:

I thought she was labeled Huntress though -- she doesn't have Throw but does have DC.

Yes, it's Asari Huntress for Infiltrator.

Lazarus Long
Dec 13, 2002

DatonKallandor posted:

I'm loving the Hazard Reactor. It's so much fun to lure Brutes in there and roast them.

Salarian Engineer decoy to lure squads of guardians and phantoms into the center of the reactor is just so satisfying. I am however worried that guilt from my German ancestry will start to creep into my psyche and somehow ruin my fun. At least there isn't any specific enemy build that looks particularly Jewish.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

exquisite tea posted:

Well good news then! You don't have to do it. All of those categories require X challenges within them to be complete, but they actually have X+Y challenges within them, so you can pick and choose what's easiest for you to perform. Biotic Mastery for example requires 14 of its 16 challenges to be complete, so you can skip two. (Probably skip Stasis Mastery too unless they assign points weird or you're playing the Volus a lot.)

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010
I think I am most looking forward to having twice as many chances to not get a Hurricane.
Two paladins together is amazing now.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
Retaliation gameplay notes:

General
-we beat plat collectors every regular map except glacier (gave up after 2 tries). AI having wallhacks and praetorians laser going through walls is manageable on larger maps, but is horseshit on glacier
-still possible to camp platinum (did hydra globe room and giant LZ), just not with more than one noob. also we tried BX team once but failed (collectors come too fast), had to use debuffs + weapon damage
-playing platinum "normally" it behooves your team to have at least two of falcon/scorpion/GPS for the preponderance of phantoms and possessed abominations. carry two weapons if necessary
-if you're going to whore challenges, avoid collectors. all our games vs. them were very low scoring
-bombers and prime pets are bullshit and just take an arc grenade class to minimize the annoyance
-we don't notice anything annoying about dragoons. they're big slow armored dorks who telegraph their attacks.
-Unlocking tech combos has made incendiary the most coveted ammo now. novaguard, concussive, shockwave, cluster grenades...

Class
-I love volus teammates. if you're in a lobby with 3 killers and feel impotent, pick volus engineer and recon debuff/proxy debuff everything for us.
-QME is legit OP and going to need a rebalancing. Unlocking fire explosions gives him a 6/6 tech combo for every health-type, and half that combo isn't on a cooldown
-Turian inf is pretty good, black widow is leagues better than the saber though so you're better off giving him a harrier or falcon. Just pick a double grenade map so you can whore the stim packs.
-Human adept rules now. Acolyte + fire ammo + duration/damage singularity or hurricane + radius/recharge singularity are both awesome

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Psion posted:

Elotana where are my pro Turian builds for the new two?
Hey those previous builds took 400 hours of play to craft, you can't rush genius :smug:

(I haven't tried either yet.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I specced Overload to 4 on my Ghost but it may not even be that useful on him, you do so much damage through Stimpack that it's more DPS to just keep firing.

• Locked thread