Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

OK, this came up before and it was fixable, but newer versions of Firefox seem to make single-image-viewing have a background color permanently hardcoded to this sickly blue-black-green hue, regardless of what your default background color is set to. Is there a new way to change it? Can it be changed at all anymore?

The original fix was to go into omni.ja\res\TopLevelImageDocument.css and comment out the @media_not_print block, which removed the styling. Now, doing that removes the centering, but does nothing for the background color. Please don't tell me this is permanent and unfixable :(

I've tried some extensions that reverted this behavior, but those don't work on the latest version either. They get rid of the centering but not the background color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
By "newer versions" do you mean the latest release or the newer nightlies? I'm on 15.0.1 (latest release) and Old Default Image Style works fine for me. I got it as soon as I noticed the new behavior (which I agree, is poo poo) and it's been working fine since.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Hmm, I'm running Pale Moon 15.1 and it's been doing this since 15.0 I think, but the old fix used to work fine. I'll check and see if it does it in FF15 as well. It could be my off-brand browser this time.

[Edit] OK works fine in official Firefox. I'll have to see what's up with Pale Moon that caused it to break. Probably a bug; I'll email the folks who work on it. Thanks!

[Edit2] Oh poo poo, it's not a bug at all, but a nice new feature: browser.display.standalone_images.background_color was added to Pale Moon's about :config. Nice! Don't need to keep messing with TopLevelImageDocument :)

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 19, 2012

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
If anyone's on the Aurora channel, I'd skip the update for 20th September - the program failed to start even after a deep uninstall (3rd party tool used) and clean profile. On startup I got an XML parsing error with a bunch of poo poo after it I didn't understand. Problems started immediately after restarting with the update for today.

Release, Beta and Nightly seem to be working ok.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

If anyone's on the Aurora channel, I'd skip the update for 20th September - the program failed to start even after a deep uninstall (3rd party tool used) and clean profile. On startup I got an XML parsing error with a bunch of poo poo after it I didn't understand. Problems started immediately after restarting with the update for today.

Release, Beta and Nightly seem to be working ok.
I'm not able to reproduce, I just updated to Aurora 17.0a2 (2012-09-20) and everything is working fine. I updated via a partial update.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Alereon posted:

I'm not able to reproduce, I just updated to Aurora 17.0a2 (2012-09-20) and everything is working fine. I updated via a partial update.

That's really odd. Any ideas why this problem would persist only with Aurora, and remain after an uninstall and deletion of profile?

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Uninstall, go into Program files and make sure the folder is empty, and the appdata/local folder is clean too (of course backup your bookmarks and such first) I haven't had a failure like you have before, but I have experienced weirdness over the past couple of weeks such as Firefox insisting to connect to some sites via https and then complaining about the invalid certificate among with other things and what I posted fixed it, for a while at least.

I'm starting to wonder if there's some bug somewhere where your profile starts to deteriorate over time due to the daily updates. After rebuilding everything again every couple of weeks I dropped aurora and just went to Waterfox 15 and haven't had a problem since.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
I don't have that problem either, I think the last time I built a clean profile was for Firefox 7. It's probably an issue with an add-on or plug-in you have. That said, since Aurora are alpha builds, you may want to switch to the Beta channel if you want a less experimental of an experience.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Ryokurin posted:

Uninstall, go into Program files and make sure the folder is empty, and the appdata/local folder is clean too (of course backup your bookmarks and such first) I haven't had a failure like you have before, but I have experienced weirdness over the past couple of weeks such as Firefox insisting to connect to some sites via https and then complaining about the invalid certificate among with other things and what I posted fixed it, for a while at least.

Done, done and done. Deleted every trace of Mozilla software on my computer, including the Maintenance Service, tried installing Aurora into a different directory, ending with the same result. I'll just run with Nightly until the 21st September Aurora build pops up. First time I can remember that I've had a problem with Firefox that's not been fixed by a new profile or a reinstall.

:iiam:

Alereon posted:

I don't have that problem either, I think the last time I built a clean profile was for Firefox 7. It's probably an issue with an add-on or plug-in you have. That said, since Aurora are alpha builds, you may want to switch to the Beta channel if you want a less experimental of an experience.

It's probably something to do with something other than Firefox. I used to get problems with random pauses in the Aurora builds but you're talking about a year ago.

Update: Manually downloaded the September 21st Aurora build - everything is right with the world. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=793088 for you technical types.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 21, 2012

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone having issues with youtube on the 20th Sept Aurora build? The pages load but the video box just remains blank. Flash video works everywhere else.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Dodoman posted:

Anyone having issues with youtube on the 20th Sept Aurora build? The pages load but the video box just remains blank. Flash video works everywhere else.
Worked fine for me, I did find that one of my ABP subscriptions had updated and was causing that issue on other sites though (scummier ones where it makes more sense).

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Cool new feature just landed (at least in the last few days) on the Aurora channel - selective activation of plugins.

The global click-to-play function has been available in Firefox for a while, but it's been disabled by default and only accessible through about :config plugins.click_to_play set as true. This update allows specific plugins to be activated on an individual basis.

Handy if you want an extra element of security and controls over websites, also saves on bandwidth if you don't activate them. I've been surprised how many websites have Flash running in the background, doing nothing but (presumably) spying on me or something.

Edited for poo poo grammar.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 5, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Cool new feature just landed (at least in the last few days) on the Aurora channel - selective activation of plugins.

The global click-to-play function has been available in Firefox for a while, but it's been disabled by default and only accessible through about :config plugins.click_to_play set as true. This update allows individual to be activated on an individual basis.

Handy if you want an extra element of security and controls over websites, also saves on bandwidth if you don't activate them. I've been surprised how many websites have Flash running in the background, doing nothing but (presumably) spying on me or something.

So that's what this is! I didn't even notice it until a while back while browsing Tumblr.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
For those with AMD videocards, the Catalyst 12.8 drivers have been blocklisted due to stability issues. Use the Catalyst 12.9 beta drivers instead.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

There seems to be a new thing on Youtube where any link clicked in a video description (even those to other videos) goes to a "Redirect Notice" page rather than to the actual destination. I assume it's caused by something in Firefox; it's not Adblock or any scripts I'm running in Greasemonkey, because I tried turning both off and I still get it, and it doesn't happen in Chrome or IE.

Example: One of my Portal 2 map videos. When I click the link in the description in Firefox, I get sent to a page that looks like this:

The url on the page is a youtube url starting with youtube.com/redirect, but I'm not going to paste it here because it has my session ID in it.

I really hope there's an easy way to get rid of this, I really don't need "there's monsters on the internet" warning pages for external links.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
That's a new feature Youtube rolled out about two weeks ago for some users. I'm not aware of any way to disable it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I've gotten this. It's not just on Firefox, it's on Chrome too.

As far as I know, there's no way to turn it off.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Maybe a Greasemonkey script to rewrite the "redirect" link into a direct link?

Edit: I'll throw a complaint at Youtube's help or whatever.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The global click-to-play function has been available in Firefox for a while, but it's been disabled by default and only accessible through about :config plugins.click_to_play set as true. This update allows individual to be activated on an individual basis.

This looks great! How long does it usually take to see a feature like this rolled into a stable release?

Edit: VVVV :neckbeard:

Butt Savage fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 6, 2012

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen
November 20th

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Could someone suggest a decent, lightweight RSS extension with a notifier I can drag down to the status bar? I was happy with Brief until it started acting funny, then switched to newsblur, but I've realized I can't be bothered to manually check my feeds for new updates.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The global click-to-play function has been available in Firefox for a while, but it's been disabled by default and only accessible through about :config plugins.click_to_play set as true. This update allows specific plugins to be activated on an individual basis.
Holy poo poo, I just got around to doing this and it's like I got a brand new computer. With no plugin content loading except what I specifically request everything is just so much faster.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

Alereon posted:

Holy poo poo, I just got around to doing this and it's like I got a brand new computer. With no plugin content loading except what I specifically request everything is just so much faster.

Firefox on Android does this by default which caused me to turn it on at my desktop. Firefox mobile would be horribly slow without it, its already pretty slow compared to the stock Android browser.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Between the click-to-play preference and Flashblock (which blocks Flash and Silverlight, allowing you to load each individual instance of either on the page), I couldn't go back to the plugin free-for-all of yore.

Flashblock also allows you to use Firefox Sync to sync your whitelisted domains :woop:

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Whenever I view a Youtube video in fullscreen and the video finishes, the bookmarks sidebar in Firefox has disappeared and I have to press Ctrl-B to get it back. Not all fullscreen videos on all sites do this, but Youtube always does. Is there a setting to make Firefox stop doing this?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
If that auto-updating is working, you'll notice Firefox 16 has been released

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I've been surprised how many websites have Flash running in the background, doing nothing but (presumably) spying on me or something.

Usually, sites use hidden Flash widgets to either play sounds or mess around with copy and paste, since you can't modify the clipboard with Javascript.

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
Adobe have just updated Flash too, so fingers crossed stuff will improve across the board.

PovRayMan
Dec 25, 2002

Never get Freudian on a man holding a pickle.

The Merkinman posted:

If that auto-updating is working, you'll notice Firefox 16 has been released

I noticed only because I went to launch firefox and it became an instant infinite crashreport loop. So I loaded another browser to redownload the installation file to put it on top of itself. Firefox flipped out and nuked all my addons. Now I'm reinstalling them all. It left my bookmarks and cookies alone though.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 10, 2012

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I didn't see it in the release notes, but that grey highlighting in the awesomebar is new to 16, right?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Did anyone used to use the old web developer addon?
I used to use CTRL + SHIFT + F (I think) and it popped up with a highlighted elements properties, and was really neat as it hovered over the page. The latest version doesn't do that anymore.

I wondered if one of you helpful goons knew if I could download an older version of the addon and install it. Sorry if this is kinda offtopic.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 10, 2012

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

wipeout posted:

Did anyone used to use the old webmaster tools addon?
I used to use ALT + CTRL + F (I think) and it popped up with a highlighted elements properties, and was really neat as it hovered over the page. The latest version doesn't do that anymore.

I wondered if one of you helpful goons knew if I could download an older version of the addon and install it. Sorry if this is kinda offtopic.
The web developer tools are in the menu under 'Web Developer'.

The keyboard shortcuts are as follows:
Web Console - Ctrl-Shift-K
Inspect - Ctrl-Shift-I
Responsive Design View - Ctrl-Shift-M
Debugger - Ctrl-Shift-S

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Thank you! I have been using them and only thing I miss is the interface [e- in the older versions of the "web developer" extension] for "Display Element Information", is there any way I can get the old layout back?

EDIT - I'm dumb, the old version [e- of that addon] is available through the Mozilla page > "version". Too easy. Job done.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 10, 2012

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

wipeout posted:

Thank you! I have been using them and only thing I miss is the old interface for "Display Element Information", is there any way I can get the old layout back?

EDIT - I'm dumb, the old version is available through the Mozilla page > "version". Too easy. Job done.

I have no idea what you mean by this, where is this option :confused:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

e- Sorry all for the confusion, I am talking about an extension called "web developer".

Old versions of the extension let you view element information in a moveable overlaid window, very handy.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 10, 2012

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Ah, I thought you meant in Firefox's Web Developer menu instead of the Web Developer toolbar

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

To be honest I totally failed to be clear there. Sorry for the bad posting.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

The Dark One posted:

I didn't see it in the release notes, but that grey highlighting in the awesomebar is new to 16, right?

You mean the highlighting of the domain name, such as forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php? If so, that's been in since around Firefox 7, released in September 2011. If you mean something else, I don't know what you mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

You mean the highlighting of the domain name, such as forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php? If so, that's been in since around Firefox 7, released in September 2011. If you mean something else, I don't know what you mean.

It looks like there's a gray box around parts of the URL now, rather than just text coloration.