Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Ahahahaha! :laffo:

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/12/17

This is sooooo much funnier for the fact that this manga is so dark and serious most of the time, so it comes completely unexpected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Ahahahaha! :laffo:

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/12/17

This is sooooo much funnier for the fact that this manga is so dark and serious most of the time, so it comes completely unexpected.

Sasha is by far the most memorable side character, she'd better have plot armor.

That last panel is fantastic.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shingeki-no-Kyojin/Vol-009-Ch-038--Castle-Utgard?id=143453

This chapter was amazing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Wow. Probably one of the best chapters we've had. The art gave an extremely strong sense of space and you could really feel how things fit together in every scene.

The torch scene was great. Relieving but confusing when the two groups meet up. Really nicely written.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Called it

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Pretty sure that next chapter Connie is going to say "Gosh that titan looks like someone in my family!!" or some similarly huge revelation.

Pretty obvious at this point that The hairy titan must be capable of turning humans into titans

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Why do our predictions have to be right about the worst things? And now we have even more evidence against Ymir! And Connie is going to go insane if he finds out the truth. :smith:

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Next month can't come soon enough!

I wonder where the hairy Titan is heading to?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Desperate Character posted:

Next month can't come soon enough!

I wonder where the hairy Titan is heading to?

It looked like it was going back over the wall to the outer area. The castle was about that size perspective-wise from the wall everyone thought was breached, and the next inner wall is hours away.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The swole as gently caress titan stroking his hair like it ain't no thang on the double page spread is the best part of this chapter.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

The swole as gently caress titan stroking his hair like it ain't no thang on the double page spread is the best part of this chapter.

You forgot to mention the fat, balding Titan doing his best impression of Botticelli's Venus.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Yeah this chapter basically confirmed the Reiner/Ryner being a Titan suspicion, since we already knew Ymir was involved. Chances are there's 3 factions: Humankind, whoever the furry titan is involved with, and the human titan group that includes Annie/Reiner/Bertholdt and probably has something to do with the church.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I dare to say this was the best chapter yet. Just awesome.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Chapter was great. The author is getting much better at drawing as well so the problem with weird proportions at distances seems to be almost none existent now.

Its becoming more apparent that there was a time where technology was at a higher level. I wonder how far things will go. If the decline was sudden or by stages

Also started to think about the factions. The bigfoot titan and his crew can walk around at night. While the other titans cant. This makes me think that their titans are more complete, or even original/"natural" titans. That the ones that are light dependent were at one point man made and incomplete.

Still too early to make a clear picture on this mystery.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Anyone notice all those titans trying to cover their necks on page 39?

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Yeah this chapter basically confirmed the Reiner/Ryner being a Titan suspicion, since we already knew Ymir was involved. Chances are there's 3 factions: Humankind, whoever the furry titan is involved with, and the human titan group that includes Annie/Reiner/Bertholdt and probably has something to do with the church.
Maybe, probably, he might not want Connie worrying about his new titan family or he may just not understand what's going on. Then again, there's not a single panel where he isn't suspicious. Whatever the case, he's clearly not on the same side as Ymir

seconding or thirding best chapter yet. Lots of distrust of the human characters on top of the usual tension from death looming around every corner. And the scout guy and Mikasa riding in to set up an action packed next chapter was the icing on the cake

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

cooldude2.0 posted:

Maybe, probably, he might not want Connie worrying about his new titan family or he may just not understand what's going on. Then again, there's not a single panel where he isn't suspicious. Whatever the case, he's clearly not on the same side as Ymir

seconding or thirding best chapter yet. Lots of distrust of the human characters on top of the usual tension from death looming around every corner. And the scout guy and Mikasa riding in to set up an action packed next chapter was the icing on the cake

Ymir and Christa were specifically stated to have "broken away" from the church(and presumably the same group Annie, Reiner and Bertholdt belong to, as seen by the Church guy's reaction to Annie's rampage in the innermost wall), so of course she's not on the same side. But the side definitely exists and Reiner clearly knows what's up with Ymir and Christa, considering he's asking them to keep Connie from thinking too hard about the truth.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 10, 2012

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wait, Ymir is female?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

RatHat posted:

Wait, Ymir is female?
This was the biggest surprise of the chapter to me, too.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Oh God, I thought I was the only one.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

How did you not see that she was a girl before this? :psyduck:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Schubalts posted:

To be fair the author has drawn some androgynous females before that have left us scratching our heads a few times. The crazy scientist girl is one of the earlier examples.

I thought Ymir was a guy as well, mostly because of the name and some rough facial characteristics. I was caught be surprise with Conny called her a woman and only noticed her breast when she was kneeling looking for food.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It was much more obvious that Ymir was a girl during that one scene with Sasha.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
Count me in the 'thought Ymir was a dude' group.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Daler Mehndi posted:

Oh God, I thought I was the only one.

I was shocked too

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Schubalts posted:

It was made pretty obvious in the chapter before this! I'm amazed that so many people didn't realize this.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
I didn't notice Ymir until this thread pointed out the connection with the titan that mistook the random scout girl for her. Which kind of hinted that Ymir was a girl, you know?

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
I was also surprised that Ymir was a girl. It's probably her mannerism that made me think otherwise.

Anywho, this was a terrific chapter.

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012

Schubalts posted:

Why do our predictions have to be right about the worst things? And now we have even more evidence against Ymir! And Connie is going to go insane if he finds out the truth. :smith:

I still have a feeling that Ymir is a red herring. :v: If titans are indeed mutated humans, then it's likely that Annie and Erin are perfected versions of titans. Or not, and we've yet to discover what a supertitan is, which is probably the Sasquatch titan.

Also, the scene with Connie probably confirms the titan who mistook the woman for Ymir was once a wall worshipper, and that Ymir is somehow more important than Christa.

Edit: How could you mistake Ymir as a boy? That's probably the most shocking thing this chapter.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Darth Walrus posted:

You forgot to mention the fat, balding Titan doing his best impression of Botticelli's Venus.

That one was actually in there a few chapters back when the hairy titan first appeared, though.

Actually, now that I think about it, the really weird looking one with the huge eyes got killed in that chapter but suddenly showed up again in this one. I can't tell if that's a mistake or intentional foreshadowing of some sort.

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

That one was actually in there a few chapters back when the hairy titan first appeared, though.

Actually, now that I think about it, the really weird looking one with the huge eyes got killed in that chapter but suddenly showed up again in this one. I can't tell if that's a mistake or intentional foreshadowing of some sort.

If you reread the scene where Mike gets eaten, you'll see that same bug-eyed titan grabbing at him while regenerating at the same time.

codeorange fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 11, 2012

Tailwhoop
Oct 18, 2008

Luigi to Kobe's Mario.
I'm inclined to believe that the man who makes this doesn't have the capability to make a plot hole. Jesus loving christ, it's amazing.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
It's possible that the ones in charge still teach the old language, but I'm thinking Ymir is just hundreds of years old, like a titan in human form

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Hey did anyone catch the name of the castle?

Utgard? hmmm that sounds norse like what with ymir and all i wonder what it is?

wiki bomb
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9Atgar%C3%B0ar
In Norse mythology, Útgarðar (literal meaning: "Outyards"; plural of Útgarðr; the word can be anglicized to Utgard, Utgardar and in other ways) surrounded a stronghold of the giants. They are associated with Útgarða-Loki, a great and devious giant featured in one of the myths concerning Thor and the other Loki who compete in rigged competitions held in the Outyards.

In another version of Norse mythology, Utgard is thought to be the final of the three worlds connected to Yggdrasil being the home of the demons, the other two being Asgard and Midgard.
There are three layers of walls right? :tinfoil:

Zasze fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 11, 2012

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Man, the last few chapters ever since the conclusion of the Annie fight has been build-ups. Where are Mikasa, Eren and Armin at this point in the story? I find it hard to keep track of all the characters' location in city even with all the maps for some reason.

davidHalestorm fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 11, 2012

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

TheHan posted:

It's possible that the ones in charge still teach the old language, but I'm thinking Ymir is just hundreds of years old, like a titan in human form

No way, the canned herring couldn't be that old. I think the "old" world still exists somewhere out there, still churning out canned herring

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

davidHalestorm posted:

Man, the last few chapters ever since the conclusion of the Annie fight has been build-ups. Where are Mikasa, Eren and Armin at this point in the hard? I find it hard to keep track of all the characters' location in city even with all the maps for some reason.

The are very close to Castle Utgard, the same place where all those giants, Ymir, Christa, Reiner, and Connie are.

I can't wait until the next couple chapters come out, because we are getting a lot of clues/answers and that means even more mysteries will be learned.

That, or Christa will die before we get any answers from her

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Zasze posted:

Hey did anyone catch the name of the castle?

Utgard? hmmm that sounds norse like what with ymir and all i wonder what it is?

Maybe he's just a World of Warcraft fan and thinks the big Vrykyr guys are cool

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Guys, you don't need to spoiler speculation

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

hackbunny posted:

No way, the canned herring couldn't be that old. I think the "old" world still exists somewhere out there, still churning out canned herring

Maybe the can is just there to distract from the real issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I was surprised at the canned herring, too. Wasn't canned food invented in the early 1800s? Even 21st century canned food goes bad after 5-10 years, so someone's gotta still be making it. These people have gas powered jetpacks and steel boxcutter swords, so not everything's at the middle ages carts-and-castles level that things appear to be at first glance. drat I love this series so much. :ohdear:

And I still wish they'd use tripwires to kill those big bastards. It's already been established that non-aberrant giants are usually dumb enough to walk into obvious traps, so (unless I'm missing something) building narrow passageways and stringing rope or wire across them and then having nearby attack teams to hack at the necks of the giants that fall over would seem like a better solution than aiming cannons from atop the walls and hoping to take out the small vulnerable portion just below their heads.