Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Well, it is an official licensed product, but it seems to be just one of many different designs. You're right in that it's Walmart fodder, and unlikely to be seen in a cinema. Here's another one in the same style:

(clicky)

This is hilarious.

Random casual moviegoer looking at poster: "WHAT hobbit?"

Also, it looks like Alan Lee straight-up painted the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Data Graham posted:

This is hilarious.

Random casual moviegoer looking at poster: "WHAT hobbit?"

Also, it looks like Alan Lee straight-up painted the thing.

Alan Lee is far, far too good an nuanced of a painter to produce a piece of marketing crap like that. That's the work of some random fella who has nothing to do with Lee and works for some company that soullessly produces prints like that for all kinds of geeky cult franchises, I imagine. It just has that sort of "feel" to it.

Lee, on the other hand, has legitimate talent. For example, this is what it looks like when Alan Lee "straight up paints" a scene from Tolkien:

There's deep textures, great composition, lots of mood, good use of smoky and indistinct techniques on the characters in the mid-ground, and it looks gorgeous. That is, of course, Gandalf saying farewell to the dwarves and Bilbo at the edge of Mirkwood. And I'll bet money that whenever we get to this scene in the movies, there will be a shot composed JUST like that painting.

Lee does not do a lot of facial closeups of the actors in his Tolkien and they only look like the actors for the conceptual sketches he's done specifically for Jackson/WETA. All his own work that he's been doing for years prior to Jackson's films (which Jackson still borrowed from EXTENSIVELY to create the visual look of Jackson's own Middle-Earth) is entirely Lee's own vision of Tolkien's world. I'd imagine that he's got mofd pride in his own work and talent than to let his name close to something as ugly as those earlier posters.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 2, 2012

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well, uh, yeah, I was being facetious. The whole thing has a very gray and stony palette and the characters look more artificial than photorealistic, is all I meant.

(I have plenty of respect for Lee, though he isn't my favorite Tolkien artist. I was a staunch Nasmith fan back in the early 90s, but since then he seems to have forgotten how to create convincing landscapes, and he was never any good at characters and has definitely gotten worse. I think I prefer Howe's stuff--more actiony than atmospheric, but frankly Lee's style of atmospheric never did that much for me.)

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Lee is a great artist, but personally I just never cared for his style. John Howe's work has always been what really defined Tolkien's world for me.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
My problem with Howe is the dragon. I don't like dragons with long bird like beaks, like the pic of Smaug destroying Laketown. Nasmith did do a nice Glaurung tho.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Hobbit-Extended-Edition-Dark-Knight-Trilogy-Blu-rays-Coming-2013-33365.html

I like how WB is already confirming that they're doing an extended edition Blu-Ray in Q4 2013.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Hobbit-Extended-Edition-Dark-Knight-Trilogy-Blu-rays-Coming-2013-33365.html

I like how WB is already confirming that they're doing an extended edition Blu-Ray in Q4 2013.

I understand the concept of extended editions of movies that were always intended to be a trilogy, but had material excised from the theatrical editions for the sake of runtime.

Extended editions of a movie that began as a single installment, then as a duology, and then became a trilogy? Holy dogshit. :stare:

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Timby posted:

I understand the concept of extended editions of movies that were always intended to be a trilogy, but had material excised from the theatrical editions for the sake of runtime.

Extended editions of a movie that began as a single installment, then as a duology, and then became a trilogy? Holy dogshit. :stare:

There's plenty of lore for Peter Jackson to mine. I'm looking forward to it, personally.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Gianthogweed posted:

There's plenty of lore for Peter Jackson to mine.
There are plenty of chumps for WB to double-dip on.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I think it's more MGM trying to maximize revenue to recover from its bankruptcy.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Glad its out there early so I can wait for the Extended Editions, never did buy those theatrical cuts of the original.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Bombadilillo posted:

Glad its out there early so I can wait for the Extended Editions, never did buy those theatrical cuts of the original.

Yeah, same with me.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I've still be holding off the the LOTR BRs on the off chance they get yet another release with Hobbit footage inserted into the prologue. That kind of thing may have to wait though until all three parts are out though. Seems the type of thing timed for a follow up to the Hobbit final part release.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I hope when they're promoting the movie they'll bother to rerelease The Complete Recordings soundtrack for TLOTR. The CDs are pretty expensive on Amazon right now; and only ROTK's soundtrack had a proper release on iTunes or Amazon mp3.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Teek posted:

I've still be holding off the the LOTR BRs on the off chance they get yet another release with Hobbit footage inserted into the prologue. That kind of thing may have to wait though until all three parts are out though. Seems the type of thing timed for a follow up to the Hobbit final part release.

I'm still waiting for the Silmarillion release myself.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

WB have now backtracked on this, according to TORN. The EE is no longer confirmed.

In unrelated news, TORN seems convinced (after screenings of a rough cut) that the running length of the first film is 2hrs 44mins. I'm taking this with a pinch of salt.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

WB have now backtracked on this, according to TORN. The EE is no longer confirmed.

In unrelated news, TORN seems convinced (after screenings of a rough cut) that the running length of the first film is 2hrs 44mins. I'm taking this with a pinch of salt.

The screening version of the film is always longer, always. The final marketing master will be shorter.

Still, that's pretty long for a film that's been extended.

The Campaign went from 142 minutes to 83 for an example.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.
This isn't directly hobbit related but I think this is still the place to share these.

Welcome from Lothlorien

Gates of Argonath

I'd love it if this guy did some in the same style for the Hobbit, but it appears he has not.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

This isn't directly hobbit related but I think this is still the place to share these.

Welcome from Lothlorien

Gates of Argonath

I'd love it if this guy did some in the same style for the Hobbit, but it appears he has not.

Wow I love these. In fact this stuff is about the only Tolkien-related artwork I've seen that I'd be willing to display in my house without feeling like a colossal dork.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Those are basically "What if Lord of the Rings was Zelda: The Windwaker?!" so you would actually feel 100x dorkier.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I like that they managed to visually recreate the ambiguity of the Balrog's wings. Is it wings... or is it just the ceiling of the cave? :smug:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ToastyPotato posted:

I like that they managed to visually recreate the ambiguity of the Balrog's wings. Is it wings... or is it just the ceiling of the cave? :smug:

Not that I want to start this hilarious debate of wings or no-wings, but they're clearly outside and on-top of a mountain.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Wendell posted:

Those are basically "What if Lord of the Rings was Zelda: The Windwaker?!" so you would actually feel 100x dorkier.

I think they're more "What if Lord of the Rings was done in stained glass?"

I'd visit the poo poo out of that church.

teagone posted:

Not that I want to start this hilarious debate of wings or no-wings, but they're clearly outside and on-top of a mountain.

Yeah, that one definitely leaves no room for interpretation. The "Deep into Moria" one does leave a little bit of room for interpretation

there are wings

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No it is definitely ambiguous on the wings. A nice touch.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

They are based on the movies so I don't even know what you nerds are spergin about.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
But where are the fluffy slippers?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

These are awesome and I want to install them in my windows of my study where I shall read and smoke a pipe after I win the lottery.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If I won the lottery I would recreate Bag End and live there.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Just look up Earth-contact homes. The mortgage rates are high, the resale ability is low and the assessed value by an appraiser is next-to-impossible.

But you don't need to win the lottery to build it. Plus you save a fortune on climate-control.

Just don't built it in a flood plain.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

teagone posted:

It also appears that Gandalf is fighting a Balrog puppet.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Welcome from Lothlorien

Looks like the power fantasy Galadriel imagined herself a boob job while fighting off the influence of the Ring. :s

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I love Gimli's lock of hair.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Vicissitude posted:

Looks like the power fantasy Galadriel imagined herself a boob job while fighting off the influence of the Ring. :s
"This is Nenya, the Ring of Silicone. I am its keeper."

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Great. Now I'm imagining Galadriel's cans glittering like Eärendil the Evening Star.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

"In place of a dark lord, you will have a size queen..."

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Vicissitude posted:

So... um.... where exactly is Galadriel WEARING Nenya?

Piney
Oct 14, 2003
Well IVE got opening night tickets on the premiere, so december cant come soon enough! There was a huge deal over here where they sold tickets online when there were poor schmucks sleeping in line outside of cinemas not knowing about it. Online sales have now stopped for a period of time, but I've still got tickets!!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Effingham posted:

So... um.... where exactly is Galadriel WEARING Nenya?

Do not use Nenya if you are nursing, pregnant, or maybe become pregnant. Call a doctor if you experience a queen; not dark but beautiful and terrible as the morn, treacherous as the sea, stronger than the foundations of the earth.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Piney posted:

Well IVE got opening night tickets on the premiere, so december cant come soon enough! There was a huge deal over here where they sold tickets online when there were poor schmucks sleeping in line outside of cinemas not knowing about it. Online sales have now stopped for a period of time, but I've still got tickets!!

It's not coming out until Boxing Day here so I think I'll spend most of December locked in my room with my internet subscription cancelled, crying myself to sleep.

Or you know, man up and just wait out the two or three weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Now that we're getting closer to release are there any more details on what's happening with the 48fps release? I know they're supposedly scaling back their plans but it's hard to find any solind info.

• Locked thread