Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Jazzimus Prime posted:

True. Anakin (which a quasi-Pig Latin form of Nanaki) was referenced by name in the original trilogy during Darth Vader's conversation with the Emperor in The Empire Strikes Back. And although Biggs and Wedge continue to be referenced in Final Fantasy games to this day, the fact remains that they were characters from the original Star Wars trilogy, so no harm is done.

:cop: That reference was added in one of Lucas' Special Editions. It wasn't in the original Empire Strikes Back.

Please turn in your nerd badge and report to the nearest termination booth. Have a pleasant daycycle.

EDIT: Oh yeah: Greedo didn't even shoot in the original. I bet you didn't know that either, frat boy :smug:

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Now, if Final Fantasy should ever introduce a character based on Jar-Jar Binks, the fanbase will have just cause to complain.

Quina is kinda like binks (in terms of being really weird, but I think I can forgive the big lug), and the end of FF9 quotes word-for-word Yoda's "Hate leads to" line.

I'm kinda wondering why they had a choice between Barret and Red for holding the Black Materia. I'd figure at this point Cloud knew Barret enough for it to be a default, but I don't know what kind of significance Red has to Cloud. Hell, didn't they discuss how he had a tattoo like the rest of the clones when they stayed at Gold Saucer?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
How does Red even hold it?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Zeikier posted:

I'm kinda wondering why they had a choice between Barret and Red for holding the Black Materia. I'd figure at this point Cloud knew Barret enough for it to be a default, but I don't know what kind of significance Red has to Cloud.

Because dogs like playing with balls?

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

How does Red even hold it?

He seemed to manage bipedal locomotion, so I'm sure he can figure something out.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Emy posted:

He seemed to manage bipedal locomotion, so I'm sure he can figure something out.

He just slobbers all over it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zeikier posted:

Quina is kinda like binks (in terms of being really weird, but I think I can forgive the big lug)

I'm actually serious when I say I'm 99% certain that Quina is supposed to be speaking in Hawaiian Creole English and not Imbecile.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.
Red XIII is an intelligent, talking dog creature that fights using hairclips. I don't think it really matters where he puts the black materia. (Probably the same place where Stimpy puts his keys.)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Zinco posted:

The Hypello in Final Fantasy X are this exactly.

Except the Hypello are awesome. :colbert:

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Schwartzcough posted:

Because dogs like playing with balls?

Now I'm imagining the Black Materia being some kind of world ending KONG toy.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Red XIII, you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8faBFPENMbg

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

The White Dragon posted:

I'm actually serious when I say I'm 99% certain that Quina is supposed to be speaking in Hawaiian Creole English and not Imbecile.

I just looked up a video about the Creole dialect, as I've never heard it before, and you know? I see it. :)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

Can't it be both? I mean the other (poo poo whatever the gently caress those guys were called) speak kind of the same way, but aren't idiots, whereas Quina is definitely pretty dumb.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Dauntasa posted:

Can't it be both? I mean the other (poo poo whatever the gently caress those guys were called) speak kind of the same way, but aren't idiots, whereas Quina is definitely pretty dumb.

BioEnchanted posted:

I just looked up a video about the Creole dialect, as I've never heard it before, and you know? I see it. :)

The White Dragon wrote a 92 page thesis on Quina being Hawaiian. It's recommended reading.

paperfax
Oct 17, 2008
100% recycled material

SirPhoebos posted:

:cop: That reference was added in one of Lucas' Special Editions. It wasn't in the original Empire Strikes Back.

Please turn in your nerd badge and report to the nearest termination booth. Have a pleasant daycycle.

EDIT: Oh yeah: Greedo didn't even shoot in the original. I bet you didn't know that either, frat boy :smug:

Not to go on a horrible Star Wars derail, but the name "Anakin" comes up several times in Return of the Jedi (e.g. Luke's conversation with Obi's ghost), so the point stands!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

The White Dragon posted:

I always heard Quina as Cookie Monster in my head.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

SirPhoebos posted:

:aaa:

So THAT's where that stupid "Han Shot First" meme comes from! I have never seen any of the Special Education versions, only the originals for like 10 times through and all this time I've been wondering what on earth people are ranting about.

edit: Wtf Lucas? Justifying Han Solo's attitude? That undermines Han Solo's badass factor more that if he'd be wearing a "I <3 ewoks" wristband.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 10, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
There's a lot of stupid things they did for all the "enhanced editions" - most are pointlessly cosmetic, others slightly change the tone of certain scenes. It's still the same stories though.

It's basically like if the makers of FFVII suddenly decided to cram in all the EU stuff in, or edit it so that Aeris has a dying speech or whatever would make people angry.

The problem with talking about it, is that it often decsends into "GEORGE LUCAS HAS RUINED MY CHILDHOOD :byodood:".

[e]: I know Nomura's not to blame, but have you seen the EU? :shepicide:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 11, 2012

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Pesky Splinter posted:

The problem with talking about it, is that it often decsends into "GEORGE LUCAS HAS RUINED MY CHILDHOOD :byodood:".

Is that really much different than "TETSUYA NOMURA HAS RUINED MY CHILDHOOD :byodood:"? I mean, that's pretty much the response to FF7's EU.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

paperfax posted:

Not to go on a horrible Star Wars derail, but the name "Anakin" comes up several times in Return of the Jedi (e.g. Luke's conversation with Obi's ghost), so the point stands!

Yes, but you said Empire Strikes Back. Correcting these issues is Serious Business :reject:

EDIT: FFVII Special Edition. Now with 90% more belts (as was Nomura's original intent)

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I always liked the Rifftrax of the Special Edition when they got to the Cantina scene. "...that was it!?"

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Wow, this is a really terrible derail.

I really do wonder what Hojo's plan at this point is supposed to be.

"Ha Ha, I've turned the everything into a weapon! Welp my work is done. Time to go chill at that beach with the girls because this can in no way be a bad thing."

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

SirPhoebos posted:

Yes, but you said Empire Strikes Back. Correcting these issues is Serious Business :reject:

Actually, I was the one who said Empire Strikes Back. And it seems you were right, according to my old VHS copies of the original trilogy. But now I feel responsible for derailing the thread.

So, uh, back on topic... I still don't get why we couldn't have just given Aeris a Phoenix Down. I don't like the idea of changing the game mechanics to enable a plot event without at least giving us an explanation.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Because Aeris is dead. Phoenix Downs revive a person that's been knocked out.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Momomo posted:

Because Aeris is dead. Phoenix Downs revive a person that's been knocked out.

Well maybe they should stop selling these spells as LIFE and REVIVE and poo poo :colbert:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The White Dragon posted:

Well maybe they should stop selling these spells as LIFE and REVIVE and poo poo :colbert:

Rise and Arise. Point: whichever FF games use those ones instead of Life. :smug:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Jazzimus Prime posted:

So, uh, back on topic... I still don't get why we couldn't have just given Aeris a Phoenix Down. I don't like the idea of changing the game mechanics to enable a plot event without at least giving us an explanation.

A phoenix down only works if you are mostly dead. Aeris was all dead. :colbert:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I mean, this shouldn't be hard to figure out. Obviously the people you revive aren't really dying, if the world had multiple methods of guaranteed, cheap immortality, do you think any part of it would be recognizable?

"Oh hey, I'm coughing pretty hard, better go down to the store and buy about a billion pheonix downs. Just lay on top of them until I stop dying."

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I think a world where you buy magic is pretty different from our world already.

And to answer that, phoenix downs aren't cheap. 300 gil might seem like chump change to you, but to some people, they might never afford that.

Let's pretend that the economy isn't totally stupidly broken and that everyone isn't actually richer and richer every time you go to a new town. When the Phoenix Down is introduced, it costs 300 gil, which is a lot to the people there.

And it probably won't stop you from dying of old age--you'll come back to life and then still be super old and die immediately again.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

One of the memorable scenes is when a little girl is drowning, and you've got to save her with CPR. Kind of takes the sting out of it when you could just cough up a pheonix down and be done with it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Captain Bravo posted:

One of the memorable scenes is when a little girl is drowning, and you've got to save her with CPR. Kind of takes the sting out of it when you could just cough up a pheonix down and be done with it.

Cloud was just being stingy, if you read the Ultimania Guide, his middle name is literally "Cheapass."

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

"Cloud, don't you think we should at least give her a proper burial?"

"Do you have 200 gil for a loving casket, Barrett? Huh? I didn't think so, we're tossing her in the lake."

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

I think it doesn't really work when she's just stabbed in the chest and immediately dead. And the phoenix down thing just being ignored feels half-assed when both 4 and 5 had characters use healing items and spells on characters outside of battle, and where game mechanics were part of a central plot in ff6.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
FF4 pays a lot of lip service to casting that poo poo, but it never works on plot death. Just pretend there's a loving scene where Cloud shouts "Phoenix Down!" and then nothing happens like in the games you mentioned.

Also stop being that guy.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
If you want to go full :tinfoil:, this could be an early sign of Jenova doing more than just puppeting Cloud's body. He didn't think to use a phoenix down because Jenova/Sephiroth was still screaming at his subconscious that she should be dead.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

The White Dragon posted:

Cloud was just being stingy, if you read the Ultimania Guide, his middle name is literally "Cheapass."

This all reminded me of an old vgcats comic:

a sawing motion
May 15, 2009

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Actually, I was the one who said Empire Strikes Back. And it seems you were right, according to my old VHS copies of the original trilogy. But now I feel responsible for derailing the thread.

She wasn't in the party at the time so we technically couldn't use a Phoenix Down on her
:goonsay:

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

a sawing motion posted:

She wasn't in the party at the time so we technically couldn't use a Phoenix Down on her

This. This is now the canon explanation.
That little girl who we had to perform CPR on? We couldn't use items or spells on her because she wasn't in the party and we weren't fighting her. If Aeris had been in the party or a target in a battle she would've been perfectly fine.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
It stands to reason that the only VGCats that was actually worth a poo poo was the Chocobo Breeding one, and only for the strip where Aeris is screaming at them to mate.

Every other strip has one thousand too many panels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

a sawing motion posted:

But you can use phoenix downs on enemies!!

What is EU?

• Locked thread