Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues

Framptonlive posted:

When I was younger, I had this little blue portable dvd player thing, but it took little CD type things. Tiny black and white screen, but I thought I was cool as hell watching spongebob on an airplane. Anyone know the name?
That would be the VideoNow.

Dat screen.

Mr. Bones has a new favorite as of 01:04 on Oct 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Pop quiz: What's this device?

Hint: It's something to do with floppy discs

Answer: It cuts a notch in the floppy disc sleeve so that the drive detects the disc when flipped over, meaning the other side can be used to store data too. Didn't work on very early floppy discs, but effectively doubled the capacity on most.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Inspector_71 posted:

One of our customers uses one of these (minus actual machine) as a computer desk, and whenever I'm over there to fix something I always end up working the pedal the entire time, just spinning that flywheel.

All computer desks should have those, imagine how much exercise us computer nerds would get.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

51? Meh. Try 400:

I know it isn't, but I really want to believe that that thing is called the "Disk Exploder" :allears:

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
I can't even picture 400 CDs in my head. I can just imagine the fun of spending an entire afternoon loading every CD you own into that thing and then keeping a mental inventory of which disc is which.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Manfrompoot posted:

I can't even picture 400 CDs in my head. I can just imagine the fun of spending an entire afternoon loading every CD you own into that thing and then keeping a mental inventory of which disc is which.

My uncle has one that's at least 100, and has a printed list of which DVD is in which position.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Manfrompoot posted:

My folks still have one - complete with a printed out list of what CD goes where. The irony is nowadays it's generally got an ipod plugged into it's aux port. One downside I've noticed is since the rise of compact ipod players your music player really lacks presence. A friend of mine has got an old 50's long counter style radio where she's wired up a jack for her ipod.

quote:

Have the retro remake!

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Sagebrush posted:

When I was an undergrad our IT department had a couple of units very similar to that, but with an ethernet connection instead of the video-out, which they used to store all the software installer discs required for the whole campus.

This is interesting, although I have to wonder how much those things cost when compared to just getting a SAN. If you've bothered to wire up your whole campus with bandwidth sufficient to do remote installs I don't know why you wouldn't invest in a SAN, but bureaucracy can lead to stupid decisions.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Inspector_71 posted:

One of our customers uses one of these (minus actual machine) as a computer desk, and whenever I'm over there to fix something I always end up working the pedal the entire time, just spinning that flywheel.

That's pretty much what I did when I was little. Could do that for hours and never grow bored with it. The wooden top was destroyed, but the cast iron frame was still in great condition.

And it squeaked every time it rotated.

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

I just got this phone in the mail today but I am having some trouble texting because there is no Q or Z. :confused:

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

leidend posted:

Listened to it in the car with the old cassette adapter. These would break every few months

Couldn't use those fm adapters because there isn't a single "empty" radio station where I live.

When I bought my latest car, an aux port was a must.

I always wanted to take a cassette adapter, and put it into one of these:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Manfrompoot posted:

How do you even cram 400 CD-drives into anything smaller than a desk sized box? (I have never actually seen a disc changer, so please excuse my probable ignorance.)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Farecoal posted:

How do you even cram 400 CD-drives into anything smaller than a desk sized box? (I have never actually seen a disc changer, so please excuse my probable ignorance.)

Well the whole point of the "changer" part is that it's one CD drive and a mechanism that swaps out the CD's in it from a rack or a rotating spindle.

I used to have one of those huge ones with the giant trays that you put five CD's in at once and it would just spin the whole tray around to get to the next one, good times.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it's basically the exact same mechanism as is in jukeboxes, only tiny so you can store it in your trunk.

Shame Boy has a new favorite as of 05:38 on Oct 11, 2012

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Nerdrock posted:

or, you could drop the cash for the sweet Panasonic Q Gamecube.

That is totally made using the frame of a broadcast preview monitor.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The CDs are stored vertically, like this:

The "track" they sit in loops around inside to form a continuous circle. This whole toroidal unit is called the "carousel". The drive is mounted off to one side. When the indexer calls up a CD, it spins the entire rack of them around until the selected disc is lined up with the drive, then pulls it out and loads it. When you switch to another disc, the currently loaded one is put back and then the carousel rotates to the next location.

So yeah, pretty much like a jukebox.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Manfrompoot posted:

Hit Clips!!!

I really liked hit clips, because they made a device for making custom hit clips with other audio, as well as a hit clips alarm clock, meaning that I could have a kickass custom alarm clock to wake up to! Now I do the same thing with my cellphone, at a fraction of the space.

Framptonlive
Nov 22, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Manfrompoot posted:

That would be the VideoNow.

Dat screen.

Yes, that's it! oh man I thought it was so cool watching spongebob on that tiny screen.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

minato posted:

Pop quiz: What's this device?

Hint: It's something to do with floppy discs

Answer: It cuts a notch in the floppy disc sleeve so that the drive detects the disc when flipped over, meaning the other side can be used to store data too. Didn't work on very early floppy discs, but effectively doubled the capacity on most.

That trick only worked on C64 and Apple II discs. PC discs used both sides by default.

When 3.5" drives became popular, DD discs stored 700kb and cost about half of HD 1.4M discs. The only difference was a 4mm hole in the upper left corner. Since I was a broke highschool student at the time, I bought DD discs and took an electric drill to them. Most of the time it worked great, as long as no plastic chips got inside the disc casing.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

axolotl farmer posted:

That trick only worked on C64 and Apple II discs. PC discs used both sides by default.

Not quite; I have an ancient PC with a single-head 5.25" floppy drive (the first PC my dad ever brought home, in fact). But it's true that single-heads were becoming rare at about the same time that home PCs started becoming widely available.

(Fun fact: I can't use that old PC to read the hundreds of 5.25" floppies I have in my closet - because I no longer have a keyboard that works with it! "NO KEYBOARD DETECTED - PRESS F1 TO CONTINUE" :v:)

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
My dad had a bunch of 5.25 floppies from 1989 or so that he was trying to give to me. I honestly can't even remember the last time I've seen a 5.25 floppy drive. Mid 90s maybe?

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

euphronius posted:

I had this awesome stereo in college

It was such a beast. It was loud as loving hell and held 51 CDs. You could program the CDs titles into the thing too and it would remember! And you could program play lists and poo poo. (And it was easy to move.) Eventually the CD changer carousel died. Ithink I can still remember that the three good Metallica albums were 19, 20, 21. I had Dave Matthews Under the Table and Dreaming number 1 for seduction purposes.

The best stereo I ever had. Now I listen to a loving iphone with headphones.

I had a Sanyo version of this type of stereo with a 3 disc changer (and dual tape decks, "surround sound" and a digital radio tuner). It really sounded excellent. I used it as speakers for my Xbox for the longest time after the cd player went out.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

thedouche posted:

I had a Sanyo version of this type of stereo with a 3 disc changer (and dual tape decks, "surround sound" and a digital radio tuner). It really sounded excellent. I used it as speakers for my Xbox for the longest time after the cd player went out.

Aiwa steroes seemed to pretty much be standard issue for late 90s dorm rooms. I'm not sure I've seen anything made by Aiwa in a while, and their US web site doesn't seem to load.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Leon Einstein posted:

My dad had a bunch of 5.25 floppies from 1989 or so that he was trying to give to me. I honestly can't even remember the last time I've seen a 5.25 floppy drive. Mid 90s maybe?

I'm young enough where I had 5.25 floppies on my first computer. I remember being very surprised when I learned about the existence of 8 inch floppies.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

Aiwa steroes seemed to pretty much be standard issue for late 90s dorm rooms. I'm not sure I've seen anything made by Aiwa in a while, and their US web site doesn't seem to load.
According to wikipedia Aiwa was bought by Sony in 2002 and they discontinued the brand in 2006. I'm guessing the market for these integrated stereo systems disappeared (the modern equivalent would be ipod docks I guess?) and it stopped to be profitable to aim for the low-end audio market.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
I couldn't find a picture of it, but at the very tail end of the portable CD player age, say 2002-2003, my friend brought over a cool little thing. It was a discman that also played DVDs and displayed them on a 3-inch color screen. At the time, I thought it was the greatest thing for road trips I had ever seen.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Speaking of floppies, it seems they're not dead in the Canadian military:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/10/10/pol-delisle-spy-guilty-plea.html

Text dump to Notepad, save to floppy, bring floppy to unsecure PC, copy to USB drive, go home with USB key, sell data to Russians.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Boxman posted:

I'm young enough where I had 5.25 floppies on my first computer. I remember being very surprised when I learned about the existence of 8 inch floppies.

Around 1983 I temped at a place here in Los Angeles that had 8 inch floppies. They also had a Winchester hard drive that had to be turned on before the computer it was attached to so it had time to spin up. Sounded like a helicopter turbine and was maybe 30 megs, which at the time seemed like a massive amount of storage.

The heads on that drive actually stayed in contact with the platters when spun down. There was a special landing zone for them.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Dick Trauma posted:

They also had a Winchester hard drive that had to be turned on before the computer it was attached to so it had time to spin up. Sounded like a helicopter turbine and was maybe 30 megs, which at the time seemed like a massive amount of storage.

A friend of mine had a 40Meg one on his Atari - I remember it sounding like a washing machine. It seemed like future tech at the time.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

wipeout posted:

A friend of mine had a 40Meg one on his Atari - I remember it sounding like a washing machine. It seemed like future tech at the time.

The (even then) ancient IBM XT I briefly had in the mid 90s came with a full height 5.25" hard drive with all of 10MB capacity. For those not familiar, stack two optical drives on top of each other, but far heavier. The 5.25" floppy was the same height.

VVVV My university main computer lab used a platter from one of those as a keychain.Like a metal disk the size of an LP, but with a far larger hole in the middle.

Killer robot has a new favorite as of 18:28 on Oct 11, 2012

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

wipeout posted:

The Winchester was huge, in a cabinet of sorts. It was about ten years old at the time so it was from the Big Iron age of computing.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

Maneki Neko posted:

You're right, I couldn't remember the brand, it was an Aiwa.

Prons
Oct 11, 2012

Chick Magnet.

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but the Mattel HyperScan, an attempt to combine the two coolest things ever, TCG and Video games. Horrible, slow technology and long loading times. Although it was an interesting idea, the tech was horrible.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
All this talk about Aiwa brings me way back.

I had this thing all through middle / high school / college and only got rid of it a few years ago although at that point the only thing that worked was the radio and aux in. It was beast.

I remember listening to the radio and whenever the song would change being ready to record the next one if it's something I wanted onto the tape deck. Then napster showed up.

Dalax
Oct 27, 2007

WebDog posted:

Have the retro remake!

I'm a 30 year old bloke who has no idea how to sew, or indeed a desire to. BUT THAT IS BEAUTIFUL AND I WANT IT.

What's wrong with me?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Boxman posted:

I'm 26 and I remember when 3.5" floppies were the hot new poo poo. I was probably in second or third grade and the teacher held up a 5.25:

"This one can hold only a few pages on Clarisworks..." then held up the 3.5: "...but this one can hold HUNDREDS!" :v:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dalax posted:

I'm a 30 year old bloke who has no idea how to sew, or indeed a desire to. BUT THAT IS BEAUTIFUL AND I WANT IT.

What's wrong with me?

Nothing -- it's classy. The LED display kind of ruins it for me though; the originals are true industrial art.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Sex Hobbit posted:

I'm 26 and I remember when 3.5" floppies were the hot new poo poo. I was probably in second or third grade and the teacher held up a 5.25:

"This one can hold only a few pages on Clarisworks..." then held up the 3.5: "...but this one can hold HUNDREDS!" :v:

I'm 30 and remember being pissed when PC games started coming out on 3.5" disks, because my machine didn't have that type of drive. :corsair:

e. behind me on a bookshelf I have a sealed box of 5.25" disks I bought at Goodwill a few months ago. Was going to use them in my C64 since I've been learning Commodore Basic, but I dunno, the novelty of owning an unopened box of those is kind of cool [and I already have a zillion already-used-but-reusable 5.25" disks I could use anyway]

Code Jockey has a new favorite as of 08:05 on Oct 12, 2012

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Dalax posted:

What's wrong with me?

You're a 30+ year-old person lacking basic sewing skills who's easily seduced by pretty tech?

I'm sorry, I'll be straightforward: you suffer from a lifelong debilitating disease called "being pretty much everyone."

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Here's the Seeburg 1000 A very 50's looking microwave size jukebox that played proprietary size 16rpm records of background music for public areas. The records were supplied by Seeburg and recalled and destroyed when a new set was sent out (sometimes). They had 3 tailored libraries: Basic, Mood and Industrial. Basic was for supermarkets, shopping malls and the like, Mood was for fine dining etc, and the Industrial library was specifically formulated to increase productivity and reduce noise related fatigue which can occur in a factory setting.

The records were in mono, 9" with a 2" centre hole. The jukebox has 25 records, 20 songs a side, so 1000 selections in the jukebox at any given time. After the jukebox had played the side of a record, it lifted that record up and played the other side upside down, with the tonearm rising to meet the record. Once the whole stack of records had finished, the jukebox lifted the whole stack and started again. It really is cool to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_UIUsyrTsU

I collect the records, and slow them down in Audacity, but I really need to get me one of the jukeboxes.

Ron Burgundy has a new favorite as of 10:35 on Oct 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Prons posted:

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but the Mattel HyperScan, an attempt to combine the two coolest things ever, TCG and Video games. Horrible, slow technology and long loading times. Although it was an interesting idea, the tech was horrible.

I'm pretty sure it's been posted before, but I never made the connection that eventually, this concept worked. It just took another 4 years or so before Skylanders came out, after all.