Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Psycho-Pass is an original anime that has been known about since March of this year. After months of no information being released it was later revealed to be a cyberpunk anime produced by Production I.G and written by Gen Urobuchi.

Story
In the world of Psycho-Pass, it is possible to instantly measure a person's state of mind and their personality. People who are found to be very predisposed to committing crimes are removed from society. However, people who have the mindset of criminals and also have good detective skills are occasionally offered jobs as enforcers of the law, as their understanding of the criminal mind can give them an advantage in stopping and solving crimes. The executive officers that manage these enforcers are society's top elites, who have been measured to have stable personalities with very low predisposition for committing crimes. These agents of law enforcement are equipped with guns that are capable of measuring a person's state of mind, automatically selecting the proper amount of force to use in response.

Main Characters

Shinya Kogami (VA: Tomokazu Seki) is an enforcement officer who belongs to the Bureau of Criminal Investigation Department. He is trained to investigate everything in detail to the limits of even his own body and powers. He is well-respected by his colleagues. Shinya himself, even though he is an enforcement officer, has a high level of criminality potential as measured by the system they use. It seems his past is also tied to an unsolved bizarre murder case.

Akane Tsunemori (VA: Kana Hanazawa) is a surveillance officer in the Bureau of Criminal Investigation Department. She is pushy and soft on the outside, but cunning on the inside. Akane is a fresh grad who enters the force as an executive officer because of her high aptitude scores.

Staff and Other Info
Chief Director: Katsuyuki Motohiro (Known for Bayside Shakedown, a popular live action series.)
Director: Naoyoshi Shiotani (Blood-C: The Last Dark)
Scenario: Gen Urobuchi (Madoka Magica, Fate/Zero)
Original Character Design: Akira Amano (Hitman Reborn!)
Studio: Production I.G
Number of Episodes: 22
Where to view: No streaming options seemed to be planned so far, but I doubt we'll have to worry about fansubs if it comes down to it.
Initial Air Date: October 11th, 2012
Official Website: http://www.psycho-pass.com/

Personal Opinions
Gen Urobuchi writing a cyberpunk story is something that hasn't happened in quite some time (Kikokugai in 2002 and his Equlibrium fanfiction in 2003, Blassreiter doesn't count as his initial ideas were rejected and he ended up writing less than a third of it). I try to maintain an air of cautious optimism about things that I really want to see, but holy poo poo I am so hyped right now. Production I.G is doing straight up cyberpunk with adult characters again and Gen Urobuchi is writing it!

Or we could potentially get another Blassreiter, but from interviews with Urobuchi and Motohiro that doesn't seem to be the case. Urobuchi appears to have a good degree of creative control on this project.

Promo Videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcDbfLyQEoA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_A_wsT5WQE

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Gen Urobuchi doing cyberpunk? Last time this happened we got Kikokugai, which loving owns. (I'm not counting his Equilibrium fanfiction because Equilibrium isn't really cyberpunk also I refuse to believe that exists.)

:getin:

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
I didn't realize it was an original story, which makes me more excited because the only original anime I've seen or even know of is Madoka. I don't think this could possibly be bad. The premise sounds like it has plenty of room for interesting twists.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Sounds like Money and Intelligence from Bakuman, so it's already got points from me.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

This promo is what's especially gotten me excited for this show. The department is broken down into the Enforcers and Inspectors, and since the Enforcers have a high crime potential it's the job of the Inspectors to deal with any of them that get out of line. The majority of the cast are Enforcers, and Akane is an Inspector.

If this doesn't become a plot point I am gonna be so mad.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Enforcers, no trigger discipline.

Inspectors, trigger discipline.

I guess the enforcers are going to be gunho rowdy bunch in the groups while inspectors would be the level headed ones.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Law and Order: Future Crimes Division.

This show is gonna be awesome.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Giggily posted:

This promo is what's especially gotten me excited for this show. The department is broken down into the Enforcers and Inspectors, and since the Enforcers have a high crime potential it's the job of the Inspectors to deal with any of them that get out of line. The majority of the cast are Enforcers, and Akane is an Inspector.

If this doesn't become a plot point I am gonna be so mad.

Plot point? It seems obvious that that's going to be Shinya and Akane's basic character dynamic. Clueless, rule-abiding newbie trying to keep maverick veteran in line - that's pretty standard for a cop show.

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm going to be pretty interested to see what kind of organised crime can even exist in this kind of environment.

Like I'd assume that the themes of the show will be how people pansy around on preventing the police from finding *evidence* of crimes even if they can assess who is likely the culprit at a glance.

Except that by the stated information so far, they are allowed to incarcerate people solely one the basis of having a high crime index. So uh... even if the potential for drama in terms of conflicts between inspectors and enforcers, and people with low crime index committing crimes anyway... I don't see how the actual crimes themselves are going to work.

Arbor Day
Jun 24, 2004

vrooom vrooom crash
Wow, this looks like my kind of thing, and I would have missed it if not for this post. Thanks.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Darth Walrus posted:

Plot point? It seems obvious that that's going to be Shinya and Akane's basic character dynamic. Clueless, rule-abiding newbie trying to keep maverick veteran in line - that's pretty standard for a cop show.

It's more implied that the Inspectors are brought on board in part to kill Enforcers that get out of line, so it's a little bit darker than that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Giggily posted:

It's more implied that the Inspectors are brought on board in part to kill Enforcers that get out of line, so it's a little bit darker than that.

Point. Well, this is Urobuchi.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

lodoubt posted:

Like I'd assume that the themes of the show will be how people pansy around on preventing the police from finding *evidence* of crimes even if they can assess who is likely the culprit at a glance.

I doubt it. Personally I think it's more likely the show's going to go over the massive flaws with the idea that a person is "predisposed" to crime and show how the system is wrong.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dr Pepper posted:

I doubt it. Personally I think it's more likely the show's going to go over the massive flaws with the idea that a person is "predisposed" to crime and show how the system is wrong.

I'd be quite happy with Minority Report: the Anime, to be honest.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Dr Pepper posted:

Agreed, this is going to be an analysis of the show's premise. Taking care of criminals before they commit a crime? Sounds as foolproof as making a wish to become a magical girl.
I'm not expecting the next Madoka though, just a better Minority Report.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

It seems like a bit of an oversight that an Urobuchi series isn't streaming anywhere.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Vincent Valentine posted:

It seems like a bit of an oversight that an Urobuchi series isn't streaming anywhere.

It's a noitaminA show. Odds are pretty drat good that it will get streamed. Negotiating the licenses for this sort of thing can often fall down to the last minute, but I'm sure someone will get the rights. I can't even remember the last noitaminA title to not get streamed (not counting Thermae Romae, which was just 3 episodes).

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Srice posted:

I can't even remember the last noitaminA title to not get streamed (not counting Thermae Romae, which was just 3 episodes).

Ano Hana.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I love cyberpunk. This show gives me Ghost in the Shell vibes from just reading about it. Maybe they won't be cyborgs, but there seems to be some similarities. Thanks for working on this and creating a thread, Jonjonaug.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
After seeing this thread, I'd have to be a psycho to pass this one up.

:downsrim:

This actually looks pretty interesting, and I've been itching for something like it ever since we had the Dennou Coil / GitS:2nd Gig simulwatch. Here's hoping it's solid.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm not even bothering to learn anything about this besides the name. I just hear Urobuchi and immediately get ready to be blown away.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm not even bothering to learn anything about this besides the name. I just hear Urobuchi and immediately get ready to be blown away have my heart warmed.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

New show by Urobuchi? Alright, I'm in, guy has never made anything bad in his life.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Zahki posted:

New show by Urobuchi? Alright, I'm in, guy has never made anything bad in his life.

he wrote madoka.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Zahki posted:

Hmm.

Popehoist posted:

he wrote madoka.
Yep.

Watched the trailer for this and it looks OK. I was expecting it to be more GITSy and visually interesting. Still looking forward to it, just not as much.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Popehoist posted:

he wrote madoka.
Which is something most people here love?

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Zahki posted:

Popehoist posted:

he wrote madoka.

I'm sorry, the correct answer is Blassreiter. Good hustle with the "say popular thing sucks" answer though!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Chas McGill posted:

Watched the trailer for this and it looks OK. I was expecting it to be more GITSy and visually interesting. Still looking forward to it, just not as much.

From the reactions I've seen to the preview screenings, the majority of people are complimenting it for having fantastic background scenery and writing, with pretty standard character animation. Honestly, though, as long as the writing is good the animation isn't going to bother me.

MadRhetoric posted:

I'm sorry, the correct answer is Blassreiter. Good hustle with the "say popular thing sucks" answer though!

How dare you dislike something that is popular, Popehoist. :frog:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Giggily posted:

From the reactions I've seen to the preview screenings, the majority of people are complimenting it for having fantastic background scenery and writing, with pretty standard character animation. Honestly, though, as long as the writing is good the animation isn't going to bother me.
Yeah, the city looks appropriately slick.

I didn't like Madoka*, but I do like cyberpunk and, by extension, Minority Report style what-if scenarios, so I'm still hopeful that the writing will hold up. How they handle the 'rookie' character will be rather important, I think. Got a bit of an Ai Tanabe from Planetes vibe from her.

*I should note that I'm not at all familiar on the genre it is based on, so perhaps I missed out on a lot of references and concepts when I watched it.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 9, 2012

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
drat, this looks nice; last anime I watched was Bodacious Space Pirates, and this looks like an excellent change of pace!

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Funi announced that they'll be streaming this starting at 12:45 pm EDT on the 11th.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-10-09/funimation-streams-code-breaker-kamisama-kiss-jormungand-psycho-pass-robotics-notes-oniai

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Nice. I think I finally found an anime to watch this season.

Good_Haro
Mar 14, 2009

Noted shitposter.
Just saw the first episode. It was pretty, um, bad. For the record, I went into it giving the show the benefit of the doubt and even wanting to like it, but, just, drat. I can't really muster up enough care to write this again, so I just edited my blow-by-blow from IRC:

Well like so the premise is basically Minority Report, but it's guns instead of telepaths or whatever.
So, okay, it starts off with the newbie chick showing up for her first case. which is like alright whatever standard.
But then her partner is like "Oh hey here's these guys you're in charge of now"
They're like, ultra criminals. Except because they're ultra criminals they're cops?
idk how it makes sense that someone with a high "criminal coefficient" would be good at like catching criminals, but whatever okay, I'll go along with it.
Now he tells her that they're gonna go after some guy who was flagged on scanners and ran earlier. Which is like, again, alright.
But then her partner takes half of the ultra criminal brigade and peaces out.
He's just like "we're splitting up, there's no actual plan have fun!"
And then the older ultra criminal guy who's w/ newbie chick explains like her job to her, even though you'd think that she, having passed tests and poo poo to get this job at this level, would know this stuff already.
Meanwhile, the target goes off on a rant to himself about how, since he was flagged as a potential criminal, his life is over so he might as well kill and rape people because why not (subtle, I know) So he starts doing a rape on some lady he grabbed (naturally).
Meanwhile, newbie chick is still like "oh my god what's going on" and I'm like "yeah I'd like to know too!"––I mean-–so the older criminal guy with her like leads the charge in and stuff.
But the other team finds the criminal first but Ishida Akira's first shot fails to disable the guy so he runs.
Now we find out that because the guy had raped the lady he targeted now HER psychopass is criminal level, like instantly (also this is apparently normal/just how Psycho-pass works/everyone knows this).
Ultimately they track down the guy, he gets upgraded to insta death and Tomokazu Seki shoots him while newbie girl cries.
Then they chase down the rape victim and because she escaped the initial attempt to disable her she's instantly a super criminal and the gun says she's gotta die too. So the badass ultra criminals are like WELL THATS LIFE while newbie girl is crying about it (why she didn't know about this seemingly basic principal of the psycho pass is beyond me).
She eventually talks the lady down from killing herself and the gun is like "OKAY NOW YOU'RE BACK DOWN TO NON-LETHAL DESIGNATION." Which makes you wonder if it's that easy to downgrade someone why would you step it up to lethal so quickly?
Anyway Tomokazu Seki tries shooting her but newbie girl is like slow mo NOOOOOOOOOOOO (seriously) and shoots him. Of course it works on him because he's an ultra criminal so he's a viable target and then he gets knocked out or something and the episode ends
Oh, I forgot the prologue. So, Tomokazu Seki is like fighting stuff and then Sakurai comes down the stairs dramatically and is like "You did well despite your injuries." And then newbie girl narrates about how they're ~destined rivals~ who ~know each other better than anyone else~ and ~only focus on each other~ (basically could have been cribbed off some naration about Kiritsugu and Kirei).

So basically what I'm saying is it's poo poo.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

drat, well there goes my hopes for this season.
drat you anime! :argh:

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Well. Avoiding Good Haro's post till I watch the first episode; here's something from the director.

MAL - Director Motohiro Katsuyuki Omits Moe From Psycho-Pass Anime posted:

Weekly Playboy News released an interview with director Motohiro Katsuyuki and writer Urobuchi Gen about new anime Psycho-Pass. Monohiro said he didn't allow the production staff to use the word "moe" in the discussion meeting. "This anime goes against the current trend of anime industry. So it'll either be a complete failure or a great success." Urobuchi said Motohiro protects him from noitamina producer's demands to add appealing elements for female audience.

Urobuchi said this anime has cruel scenes both physically and mentally. Motohiro joked that he wanted kids audience to have a trauma for life by watching this anime.

Source: Shu Play News

Going to live or die on its own strength I guess.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The rookie looks rather 'moe', though. What is he on about? Compared to GITS the character designs look cutesy.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 11, 2012

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

The rookie looks rather 'moe', though. What is he on about? Compared to GITS the character designs look cutesy.
They're certainly not 'moe' in the typical anime way. I think she's meant to look somewhat innocent because her being somewhat innocent is actually a Thing, not because they want to sell figurines of her where you can see her underwear.

Good_Haro
Mar 14, 2009

Noted shitposter.

Guyver posted:

Going to live or die on its own strength I guess.

Well, I guess it's good to know that there are no excuses for the army of fanboys this show will inevitably generate to blame any complaints about the show on.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Endorph posted:

They're certainly not 'moe' in the typical anime way. I think she's meant to look somewhat innocent because her being somewhat innocent is actually a Thing, not because they want to sell figurines of her where you can see her underwear.
Her eyes are the size of the stroopwaffels they sell at Starbucks and she doesn't have a nose. I thought that was the moe thing? Anyway, I'll shut up until I've seen the first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

Those two statements aren't exactly mutually exclusive.

• Locked thread