Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I really hate that they're adding him to the secret campaign. There's literally no reason for it and I think it'll totally demolish the flow and balance of Ada's story. He's not in any cutscenes, he's never talked to, never acknowledged... why the hell does he have to be there? It makes no sense.

Edit: Seriously, I can't even imagine how scenes like Deborah or chainsaw dude are going to go now, talk about hamfisted

You can just assume he's Ada's imaginary friend. :v:

Edit: When is the Mercs pre-order DLC becoming available for everyone? There's no way I'm paying u$50 on Ebay for 3 maps.

GUI fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

In It For The Tank posted:

I thought the partner system for Ada just meant they would let her participate in the story intersections.

She already can.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

GUI posted:

There's a free DLC coming next week that adds co-op to the hidden campaign and a difficulty called No Hope.

Really, really excited for this (with the exception of Jake's campaign).

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Goddamn, does anyone have any advice for using Ada in Mercenaries mode? I thought the crossbow would be pretty good but it's basic arrows don't seem to have any power and the explosive ones have the delay that just kills combos, and the SMG doesn't do nearly enough damage for how much ammo it uses (plus it doesn't seem to stun zombies unless you get two headshots rather than one like with every other pistol in the game).

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I play Ada in Mercenaries a lot like I played Excella. Use the Uzi to set up melee and don't worry too much about the crossbow.

She seems like her loadout was either designed around the presence of another character to draw most of the aggro, or simply dumped into Mercs wholesale without alteration, much like the rest of the primary characters.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I really hate that they're adding him to the secret campaign. There's literally no reason for it and I think it'll totally demolish the flow and balance of Ada's story. He's not in any cutscenes, he's never talked to, never acknowledged... why the hell does he have to be there? It makes no sense.

Edit: Seriously, I can't even imagine how scenes like Deborah or chainsaw dude are going to go now, talk about hamfisted

You must have hated Saints Row 2 and Dead Rising 2.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Wanderer posted:

I play Ada in Mercenaries a lot like I played Excella. Use the Uzi to set up melee and don't worry too much about the crossbow.

She seems like her loadout was either designed around the presence of another character to draw most of the aggro, or simply dumped into Mercs wholesale without alteration, much like the rest of the primary characters.

Pretty much this. Ada is a fairly weak Mercenaries character, sadly. The only thing she really has going for her are nice and quick melee moves. If you like those you're better off unlocking Carla who is far better but still struggles a bit against boss enemies if you play solo.

I really do wish weapon loadouts were give a little more consideration in Mercenaries because certain characters/costumes are irredeemably awful. It's been a problem with all iterations of Mercs, I suppose, but it feels particularly annoying here.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Really, the ideal strategy in Mercs is to counter enemies' attacks, so weapon load outs aren't really important. One character is as good as another as long as a player knows how to handle the bosses and can counter reliably.

Wooph
Oct 28, 2010

by angerbot
They should just separate the costumes from weapon load outs in future games.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

That's bizarre, I actually found Ada to be one of the strongest Mercenaries characters. Uzi is great for stuns, and the crossbow can deal with almost any non-garden variety enemy with ease (except those loving flyers). Also, the crossbow quickshot is outrageously powerful, and sets any normal enemy up for an instakill stomp (except dogs, use the Uzi on them).

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I picked up RE: Outbreak today (£4.00 :toot:), what are goon opinions on it?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Fraction posted:

Outbreak owns. Outbreak 2 also owns, but not in a legitimate way.

Outbreak, oh man, I wish I still had my copy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

Outbreak owns. Outbreak 2 also owns, but not in a legitimate way.

Outbreak, oh man, I wish I still had my copy.

Which was the one where you murder the Zombie Elephant? Because 4 player co-op of that is the most horrilbe god awful fun I've had on the PS2

Electric Slug
Oct 30, 2011
Those were the first RE games that I played and I absolutely loved them. Playing them online was probably one of the best experiences ever, but single player is pretty good too. Pick Mark, the big burly dude, and bust everyones head with a hammer the way god intended.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Outbreak File #1 is a legitimately good game hamstrung by last generation limitations. It also has arguably the best intro to any Resident Evil game and one of the best stages in franchise history ("Outbreak").

It was awesome when the servers were still online, as I played on PS3 which allowed for players to skip cutscenes online while PS2 users couldn't.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Sweet, I'm glad to hear Outbreak is good! I couldn't see anything in the OP on it so I very nearly didn't get it at the shop.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Barudak posted:

Which was the one where you murder the Zombie Elephant? Because 4 player co-op of that is the most horrilbe god awful fun I've had on the PS2

On Very Hard the puzzle is amazing. You have four inventory slots normally. There are 12 coins to collect. Go get 'em.

Almost all of the levels are bullshit in their own ways, really. Two are collectathons, one requires you to break a door in a room with respawning zombies, the other has fun mine sections..

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 11, 2012

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Barudak posted:

That's 2. I loved 2, but it got a really bad wrap for a couple of reasons.

Fraction posted:

Sweet, I'm glad to hear Outbreak is good! I couldn't see anything in the OP on it so I very nearly didn't get it at the shop.

They came out at a time when online play wasn't really in and that particular style of Resident Evil game was on it's way out.

If you ask a Resident Evil fan what their favourite in the series is, no one will say Outbreak 1 or 2 off the top of their head, but more people probably should.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 11, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I still think Outbreak could make a comeback as an HD remaster on PSN/XBLA. I would more than gladly throw another $20 a pop at Capcom for them even if they were the level of :effort: the RE4/CVX remasters were if they had online play.

I miss rushing ahead on PS3 and boarding up the 2nd floor door at the bar in the Outbreak stage ahead of all the other players so they're stuck bashing it open. :smith:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Policenaut posted:

I still think Outbreak could make a comeback as an HD remaster on PSN/XBLA.

Yes, definitely. That would be fantastic.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fraction posted:

Its crap, it was bad when you could play online and its worst by yourself, you'll be getting pissed at your inept party members more often than not, their annoying voice clips will be burrowed into your skull as well.

Also I hope you have the HD attachment for your PS2 otherwise get yourself a nice book to read between loading screens.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I used to love playing Mark and standing in a chokepoint at the beginning of Outbreak holding down his 'guard' button and being a living barricade to keep every single zombie at bay while the rest of my team got the key and started the countdown. Then it was a race to make it down to the street myself before the countdown ended.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Fraction posted:

There's a lot about it you're going to miss because Capcom shut down its servers a couple of years ago. It was really ahead of its time in a couple of ways, but back then, all we knew was that the loading times were abysmal, trolling the rest of the group was so easy as to be almost effortless, Capcom's hand-coded match finder UI was extremely shaky, and the decision to not include voice chat was at best backwards, particularly in stages like "The Hive" where it meant your group got split up almost immediately.

When it was fun, though, it was really fun. I have some pretty decent memories of File #2 online.

Electric Slug
Oct 30, 2011
I remember my first online game we all ended up dying in the first scenario. We turned into zombies and we would form zombie barricades to block the rest of the zombies from eating our last two guys. It failed, but we provided bro-op from beyond the grave. That and being the bad rear end who sacrificed yourself to save your team made you feel like a hero, like some demonic zombie slaying god. Good times :allears:

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Replayed through Leon chapter 1 to get the emblems that I missed. It still took over an hour to blast through it because of all the scripted walking around and slow door opening animations.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

charismaslover posted:

Replayed through Leon chapter 1 to get the emblems that I missed. It still took over an hour to blast through it because of all the scripted walking around and slow door opening animations.

One of the upcoming events on RE.NET is a speedrun of that chapter. I can't imagine a worse event to showcase RE.NET.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Leyburn posted:

One of the upcoming events on RE.NET is a speedrun of that chapter. I can't imagine a worse event to showcase RE.NET.
They had to start somewhere I guess, and once it does get going it goes all out. Us it just a speed run or they adding bonuses for difficulty or kills it just time?

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

In It For The Tank posted:

Really, the ideal strategy in Mercs is to counter enemies' attacks, so weapon load outs aren't really important. One character is as good as another as long as a player knows how to handle the bosses and can counter reliably.

I've never gotten this to work reliably in Duo (which is pretty much all I play). Even with the skill that boosts counter damage most enemies will just get stunned rather than die. Does counter move damage differ between characters?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
It doesn't seem to mention difficulty, so I guess you can just do it on Amateur. There's three events listed on it at the moment...

quote:

Wipe out the zombies!
10.14.2012 20:00:00 - 10.20.2012 20:00:00
The first event (an elimination event) held on residentevil.net Try and defeat as many zombies as possible The winner will receive an appropriate prize This should give us a an idea of everyone's potential

King of Urban Chaos
10.27.2012 20:00:00 - 10.28.2012 20:00:00
Aim for the highest score on the "Urban Chaos (only single player scores will be considered)" stage in "The Mercenaries"! A fantastic reward awaits the highest ranked player. Do you know your way around by now? Please note that only players who break their personal record once the event has started will be considered. Train hard and give it all you've got!

Don't miss the bus!
10.28.2012 20:00:00 - 11.03.2012 20:00:00
Complete the 1st chapter of Leon's scenario in the shortest time possible! Make your way to the bus as fast as you can! You've talked the talk, but can you walk the walk? Please note that only players who break their personal record once the event has started will be considered. Train hard and give it all you've got!

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

Played through on veteran first, then tried chapter 2 with Leon on normal today, and I started without a shotgun and only like 7 bullets. And if I choose NG+ I have to start from the first chapter. Isn't there a way to choose like in RE4 or at least start with a default setup, I cant do this on pro if I have to start with scraps every time.

For those of you ho have completed it, how was your death ratio with deaths to enemy attacks versus qte, scripted events like the car that comes out of nowhere in Leon chapter 1 and just plain confusion that you had no idea what to do or where you where? Id say the latter is 8/10. This game wants so bad to be a movie it's ridiculous, It just persists on taking away control from you any chance it gets.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

bat duck posted:

Played through on veteran first, then tried chapter 2 with Leon on normal today, and I started without a shotgun and only like 7 bullets. And if I choose NG+ I have to start from the first chapter. Isn't there a way to choose like in RE4 or at least start with a default setup, I cant do this on pro if I have to start with scraps every time.

For those of you ho have completed it, how was your death ratio with deaths to enemy attacks versus qte, scripted events like the car that comes out of nowhere in Leon chapter 1 and just plain confusion that you had no idea what to do or where you where? Id say the latter is 8/10. This game wants so bad to be a movie it's ridiculous, It just persists on taking away control from you any chance it gets.

I think being shot at with submachine guns killed me almost as much as QTE's.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

bat duck posted:

This. I died a lot less when I realized that every situation should be handled like it would in a movie. I.e. if there is actiony music, start running cause poo poo is just going to respawn indefinitely; if music is tense, start shooting, cause you can clear the room.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I thought Piers was lame but I beat Chris's campaign and OH BOY.

Not only did he get LIGHTNING ARM, he died off camera. See you in RE7, Piers!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

theflyingorc posted:

I haven't done it myself, but the ending's probably a bit more concrete if you beat the campaign using Piers

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

theflyingorc posted:

Did you watch the post credits scene? It's not even RE7 he comes back in.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Len posted:

Did you watch the post credits scene? It's not even RE7 he comes back in.

That's not Piers.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tremors posted:

That's not Piers.

Welp shows how much I pay attention to things!

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
A song devoted to the QTEs of Resi 6 (I didn't make this).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LrVou1Jo7w

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

Calaveron posted:

I haven't done it myself, but the ending's probably a bit more concrete if you beat the campaign using Piers

Nope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

Policenaut posted:

I still think Outbreak could make a comeback as an HD remaster on PSN/XBLA. I would more than gladly throw another $20 a pop at Capcom for them even if they were the level of :effort: the RE4/CVX remasters were if they had online play.

I miss rushing ahead on PS3 and boarding up the 2nd floor door at the bar in the Outbreak stage ahead of all the other players so they're stuck bashing it open. :smith:

I would happily pay the same but I don't think they will do it which is a massive shame.