Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Another quandry.

Have an app that is using an SMTP connection to send out emails outside our organization. The account doing so has send-as permissions for the users (so if Bob sends out an email the service email account sends as Bob).

However, this configuration doesn't store a copy of the email anywhere. They'd like to have access to those if needed.

Any way to accomplish this? I can't think of a transport rule that will catch these, and from what I can tell journaling can't be set up to capture outgoing external mails on a specific account only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Crackbone posted:

Any way to accomplish this? I can't think of a transport rule that will catch these, and from what I can tell journaling can't be set up to capture outgoing external mails on a specific account only.

You can if you have Exchange 2010 Enterprise user CALs, actually.

Failing that, if you have spare mailbox databases to play around with, move the sending accounts to a different database and set up journaling on that one. We had to do the opposite for some of our automated email accounts - move them to their own database with no journaling configured.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

No Enterprise CAL available.

I just tested a separate database for the service account, and set that database to standard journaling, but it doesn't work. I'm thinking that the service account is using "send-as" permissions mucks up the whole deal - it looks like Exchange considers send-as emails as coming from the send-as account, not the actual originator.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Crackbone posted:

I just tested a separate database for the service account, and set that database to standard journaling, but it doesn't work. I'm thinking that the service account is using "send-as" permissions mucks up the whole deal - it looks like Exchange considers send-as emails as coming from the send-as account, not the actual originator.

Ah, yeah, I misread that part of your post. If you can have all the emails come from a generic non-journal'd account, maybe you can just set the reply-to as Bob's address?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

Crackbone posted:

Does the app have any configuration options, such as adding a blind cc to all emails, or keeping a local copy?

Does it send using SMTP, or MAPI? If it's SMTP, set up a new connector just for it, and add all the rules you want.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

EoRaptor posted:

Does the app have any configuration options, such as adding a blind cc to all emails, or keeping a local copy?

Does it send using SMTP, or MAPI? If it's SMTP, set up a new connector just for it, and add all the rules you want.

The app does not have those abilities.

It's sending using an SMTP connection, but I don't get what you're saying about connectors. The app sits on a seperate box and connects to exchange via SMTP. Exchange has a receive connector setup to accept mail from that server. It goes out via the same send connector as everything else.

I don't see anything in the transport rules that can make determinations based on the connector the message is using.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I know I touched this a few pages back but I'll just revisit it.

I am looking into office 365(email primarily) for my company as
1. I want to promote higher uptime, lightning, hurricanes, and people unplugging things have brought down the network more than I like to admit.
2. Our current exchange is a physical host sitting at a nice 500mb free on a 12Gb partition, (this was the work of an MCSE mind you)
3. Our website can also be hosted off site
4. We use self signed because the MCSE I replaced said "it was good enough you just get a red screen but it is completely safe to use" so it is instilled into everyones mind that self signed is the fine for all https. I would like to get off this and Norton SMTP filter which hangs most our emails for however long it feels like.
5. We are small 20ish people but plan to grow up to ~50 in the next 2-3 years, maybe larger depending on the how well we do on this VMware project.

Currently we are full VDI, win7(minus one person with XP), office 07/10.

Is O365 good enough for my needs or should I look into something else.

And yes we are a single site.

E: I am aware of google apps however I think O356 might be a bit better for us, due to some of the more minor features Gapps misses we use

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 11, 2012

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Based on what I've been told by half a dozen people who have done it, Office 365 is pretty much the worst hosted Exchange option and you should really be looking into Intermedia or other providers worth a poo poo.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I'll look into that, yeah the horror stories are bad but so is a exchange that shits the bed on you.

I could possibly rebuild our exchange server but I would much prefer an offsite solution that I really don't have to worry about as my tickets for vmware work are increasing drastically as well as internal tickets.

Oh those plans are actually pretty good nvm

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 11, 2012

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Office365 is great if you do it the Office365 way. If you're willing to cut MX records, move EVERYTHING Exchange based to O365, then it works great. Where O365 starts sucking is anything except an ideal MS scenario.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

skipdogg posted:

Office365 is great if you do it the Office365 way. If you're willing to cut MX records, move EVERYTHING Exchange based to O365, then it works great. Where O365 starts sucking is anything except an ideal MS scenario.

We would pretty much be using EVERYTHING exchange to O356. Intermedia looks like it has a better track record. I will push for that however O356 is already a buzz word for my boss and some other decision makers so I don't think it will be fun but given the track records of both intermedia wins, however usually the dollar decides...

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

Crackbone posted:

The app does not have those abilities.

It's sending using an SMTP connection, but I don't get what you're saying about connectors. The app sits on a seperate box and connects to exchange via SMTP. Exchange has a receive connector setup to accept mail from that server. It goes out via the same send connector as everything else.

I don't see anything in the transport rules that can make determinations based on the connector the message is using.

Sorry, I messed up. You can create an additional send connector, but it won't work for you. I use one to carve out domain specific exceptions, and then log it. In our situation, all the destinations are on the same two domains, so the logging works and is manageable. Unless you have the same limit, the same thing won't work.

You could do the reverse, set up a receive connector, carve out an ip for it to listen for, and use an edge transport rule, though I've never worked with Edge Transport Rules. Are you sure this application has doesn't have some unique header you can trigger a hub transport rule on, then just add a local BCC to the email?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

EoRaptor posted:

You could do the reverse, set up a receive connector, carve out an ip for it to listen for, and use an edge transport rule, though I've never worked with Edge Transport Rules. Are you sure this application has doesn't have some unique header you can trigger a hub transport rule on, then just add a local BCC to the email?

The application allows the user to change the contents of the sub/message, so it's not a surefire method. And I still can't find any reference to transport rules being able to use connectors or IPs as criteria for firing off.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Crosspostin':

Is anyone using (Compellent) Replay Manager with Exchange 2010?

We're moving from our old PE2950 Exchange2007 install to a virtualized Exchange2010 install, and I'm trying to figure out if we want to use RDMs to give us the option of using Replay Manager, or stick with VMFS VMDKs and our current (Microsoft DPM) backup methods.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

Crackbone posted:

The application allows the user to change the contents of the sub/message, so it's not a surefire method. And I still can't find any reference to transport rules being able to use connectors or IPs as criteria for firing off.

Edge Transport Rules can do the per receive or per send connector triggering, but like I said, I haven't used them. I don't even know if they show in EMC. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd351127.aspx

Transport Rules can look at headers, which are usually set by the sending application, and aren't usually visible to users. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email#Message_header

Examine the message headers of one of these messages, and see if there is anything distinct ie: 'X-Sender: SupAR Web to Email 1.1.3454' that you can use in a transport rule.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Corvettefisher posted:

I know I touched this a few pages back but I'll just revisit it.

I am looking into office 365(email primarily) for my company as
1. I want to promote higher uptime, lightning, hurricanes, and people unplugging things have brought down the network more than I like to admit.
2. Our current exchange is a physical host sitting at a nice 500mb free on a 12Gb partition, (this was the work of an MCSE mind you)
3. Our website can also be hosted off site
4. We use self signed because the MCSE I replaced said "it was good enough you just get a red screen but it is completely safe to use" so it is instilled into everyones mind that self signed is the fine for all https. I would like to get off this and Norton SMTP filter which hangs most our emails for however long it feels like.
5. We are small 20ish people but plan to grow up to ~50 in the next 2-3 years, maybe larger depending on the how well we do on this VMware project.

Currently we are full VDI, win7(minus one person with XP), office 07/10.

Is O365 good enough for my needs or should I look into something else.

And yes we are a single site.

E: I am aware of google apps however I think O356 might be a bit better for us, due to some of the more minor features Gapps misses we use

If you configure ADFS and therefore get around the poo poo-awfulness that is the SSO client, then you only have the poo poo-awful mailbox issues to deal with!

Seriously, in concept O365 is a good product, but in practice the Exchange component is far to temperamental, see my rant earlier in the thread for details.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Mierdaan posted:

Crosspostin':

Is anyone using (Compellent) Replay Manager with Exchange 2010?

We're moving from our old PE2950 Exchange2007 install to a virtualized Exchange2010 install, and I'm trying to figure out if we want to use RDMs to give us the option of using Replay Manager, or stick with VMFS VMDKs and our current (Microsoft DPM) backup methods.

Are you configuring a DAG? If so, are you configuring CRCL?

DPM will play nicer if you are in a dag environment, storage oriented changes to a LUN on a single member of a DAG configuration will be messy without the right preparation.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Linux Nazi posted:

Are you configuring a DAG? If so, are you configuring CRCL?

DPM will play nicer if you are in a dag environment, storage oriented changes to a LUN on a single member of a DAG configuration will be messy without the right preparation.

No, we're not going with a DAG. ~250 users and a pretty decent tolerance for downtime means VMware HA is probably good enough for us, so the cost in money and complexity for DAGs didn't seem worth it.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Mierdaan posted:

No, we're not going with a DAG. ~250 users and a pretty decent tolerance for downtime means VMware HA is probably good enough for us, so the cost in money and complexity for DAGs didn't seem worth it.

Then yeah you should be fine to do it. The mailbox server doesn't care much about mounting a database from a LUN snapshot, as long as it's healthy and the logs jive.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

I'm just finishing up a 2003-2010 upgrade/migration. Everything seems pretty perfect and went very smoothly. The last few mailboxes are finishing the move to the new server now.

One thing I am a bit confused about is replication of my public folders... on the 2003 server they show as "Local Modified" in replication status. On 2010 I can't find where I would see if they've properly been replicated. Clients seem to be able to see them though and they aren't high volume anyway so I am assuming this might just be a reporting issue.

I plan on leaving the old server up for a couple weeks but want to get it out of the loops sooner than later - it is ancient and a bottleneck as it is still in a DC role. Is there anything else I should be concerned about provided the mailboxes and public folders are all on the new server and mail is flowing properly?

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

platypusmalone posted:

I'm just finishing up a 2003-2010 upgrade/migration. Everything seems pretty perfect and went very smoothly. The last few mailboxes are finishing the move to the new server now.

One thing I am a bit confused about is replication of my public folders... on the 2003 server they show as "Local Modified" in replication status. On 2010 I can't find where I would see if they've properly been replicated. Clients seem to be able to see them though and they aren't high volume anyway so I am assuming this might just be a reporting issue.

I plan on leaving the old server up for a couple weeks but want to get it out of the loops sooner than later - it is ancient and a bottleneck as it is still in a DC role. Is there anything else I should be concerned about provided the mailboxes and public folders are all on the new server and mail is flowing properly?

get-publicfolderstatistics -server name

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

This question is only tangentially related to Exchange but is there a Linux/BSD-based groupware with similar functionality to Exchange? We (I) currently have an ancient Exchange 2003 installation and are going to migrate to Exchange 2010 complete with new servers unless there's something equivalent that doesn't require Windows.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

KaneTW posted:

This question is only tangentially related to Exchange but is there a Linux/BSD-based groupware with similar functionality to Exchange? We (I) currently have an ancient Exchange 2003 installation and are going to migrate to Exchange 2010 complete with new servers unless there's something equivalent that doesn't require Windows.
Zimbra is pretty close, but I've never used the MAPI connector so I'd generally only recommend it if you're mostly planning on web access or standards-driven protocols like IMAP/CalDAV.

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001
I've got Exchange 2010 SP1 running in /hosted (multi-tenant) mode. Is it possible to set up a journal rule to journal all mail to/from one of my organizations to a journal mailbox INSIDE that same organization?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What are people using now that Postini is going to be moving into Google Apps? My company wants to push MX Logic but I'd rather not have to support a McAfee product.

We're looking at Forefront Security for Exchange, but our three needs are:

- Mail spooling (ie. firewall or server goes down locally mail is held until they come back up)
- Spam/antivirus
- Ability to access and send mail while servers are down/mail is being spooled.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Ironport.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Gyshall posted:

What are people using now that Postini is going to be moving into Google Apps? My company wants to push MX Logic but I'd rather not have to support a McAfee product.

- Mail spooling (ie. firewall or server goes down locally mail is held until they come back up)
- Spam/antivirus

Check out Mimecast.

Prent
Sep 18, 2003

The.

Morganus_Starr posted:

I've got Exchange 2010 SP1 running in /hosted (multi-tenant) mode. Is it possible to set up a journal rule to journal all mail to/from one of my organizations to a journal mailbox INSIDE that same organization?

Nope. Microsoft says it won't work... and it doesn't!

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Gyshall posted:

- Spam/antivirus

FWIW McAfee's hosted spam is actually a great product, and well supported.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Studebaker Hawk posted:

.... McAfee's .... great ......

aaaaaahahahaha

Guess you missed the great mxlogic outage of Aug 8 2012? Mcafee is poo poo and anyone that uses them deserves what they get.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 17, 2012

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001

Prent posted:

Nope. Microsoft says it won't work... and it doesn't!

Hmm..do you have a link or anything from Microsoft on this? Not that I don't believe you..just curious what they have to say exactly.

edit: nm, think I found it: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/journaling-and-hosted-mode.aspx

Morganus_Starr fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 17, 2012

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Internet Explorer posted:

Check out Mimecast.

This looks loving great.

I could finally ditch my BES server too. God I hate dealing with that loving thing. And according to this, it provides ActiveSync at the mimecast gateway too?

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001
This brings me to another question then - what would be the best way to securely send journal reports from one Exchange 2010 organization to an outside Exchange 2010 organization (both of which I control)? Since I can't journal to inside my own organization in /hosted mode.

Or if anyone has any recommendations for standards compliant message archiving let me know. Ideally something I can just securely and directly journal out to using a journal rule, instead of having to install something heavyweight and on premises that'd be awesome.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'm implementing retention policies at a site. Messages affected by the retention policy say "this item will expire in X days. etc." Is there a way to turn this notification off or on? The Sent Items folder, for example, does not have this notification, even though the folder is also affected by a retention policy.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Morganus_Starr posted:

This brings me to another question then - what would be the best way to securely send journal reports from one Exchange 2010 organization to an outside Exchange 2010 organization (both of which I control)? Since I can't journal to inside my own organization in /hosted mode.

Or if anyone has any recommendations for standards compliant message archiving let me know. Ideally something I can just securely and directly journal out to using a journal rule, instead of having to install something heavyweight and on premises that'd be awesome.

I use, and like, GFI Mail Archiver. It would be in house, though I thought they had a hosted version but I can't seem to find that on their site. I may be mistaken about that. I am not sure about how you would do the second outside org though. You could contact them, they are great to work with and very knowledgeable so they could tell you if they can do what you need or offer another way that you may not be thinking of.

I have it running on a separate server but you probably can run it on the exchange server itself if the server is ok, we just have a bunch of extra servers.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Nitr0 posted:

aaaaaahahahaha

Guess you missed the great mxlogic outage of Aug 8 2012? Mcafee is poo poo and anyone that uses them deserves what they get.

Yep, was on the other side of the world at that time :)

Put a call into mimecast and liked what I see, but they are a bit pricing and there partner margins aren't great

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Trastion posted:

I use, and like, GFI Mail Archiver. It would be in house, though I thought they had a hosted version but I can't seem to find that on their site. I may be mistaken about that. I am not sure about how you would do the second outside org though. You could contact them, they are great to work with and very knowledgeable so they could tell you if they can do what you need or offer another way that you may not be thinking of.

I have it running on a separate server but you probably can run it on the exchange server itself if the server is ok, we just have a bunch of extra servers.

This is what we use/used, had to take it offline due to my boss "re-allocating" storage. I really liked it, but it was a little sluggish, probably because the storage the DB was running on overcommited.

I should be bringing it back online shortly (as long as we get the new storage that we requested and have the budget for).

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Has anyone ever encountered an issue where meeting invites in Outlook won't update certain users, at certain times?

My company has a lot of recurring meetings that get shifted around the week, and sometimes they will just give me a message saying "not current", instead of allowing me to accept the updated invite.

BaconBeast
Aug 18, 2006
I'll take the hundy pounder and fries, thanks.
Hi all,

This is a bit of a cross post from my question in the sharepoint thread, but this is the second part to that.

I have a command that exports a .CSV of crew. It looks a bit like this:

First Name, Last Name, email address, BOAT1, BOAT2, BOAT3.

I'm going to try and do a regular export of this CSV.

Then, i would like to run a scheduled powershell task to import the CSV into mail contacts. The Yes/no flag for each boat will go into a custom attribute.

Then, the 3 custom fields will be used as the basis for a dynamic distrobution list, so that someone can email "BOAT1@myOrganisation" and email everyone flagged as crewing on that boat.

My question is: can you give me any assistance on formatting the command, and, if this runs regularly (say once a day) will it overwrite the existing contacts or just create duplicates? Is this a reasonable method to use?

Edit: So close, yet so far. My command looks like this: Import-CSV D:\csv_exports\all.csv | ForEach-Object{
New-MailContact -ExternalEmailAddress $_.email -Name "$($_.Title) $($_.Last_x0020_Name)" -customAttribute1 $_.Boat1 -customAttribute2 $_.Boat2 -customAttribute3 $_.Boat3
}

I'm getting an error message that suggest that I can't use new-mailcontact to create something with custom attributes (which seems weird?)

Dose anyone have any ideas?

BaconBeast fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prent
Sep 18, 2003

The.

BaconBeast posted:

Dose anyone have any ideas?
You can't set all properties with New-MailContact. You have to use New-MailContact to create it and then Set-MailContact to set the rest.