Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

IOwnCalculus posted:

30 years ago, yeah, you could build a 600hp SBC. It would idle like poo poo, hate anything less than 94 octane, and would be burning quite a bit of that high-octane fuel courtesy of the giant Holley carb sitting on top. Nevermind emissions tests.

Or if you go a bit further back, you probably would've used a big block to do the job - and had to deal with a vastly heavier engine up front.

Today, you can get that power with an all-aluminum small-block that will idle all day long without overheating or fouling plugs, and do so at a typical idle RPM. It will handle a quarter mile pass just as nicely as sitting in the In-N-Out drive-through.

My first vehicle was a 1980 Ford F-150 with the 351M. Something like 130-140 hp depending which rating you believe, in a 4000+ pound vehicle, and mine had highway gears (2.something). The 3 speed C-6 auto didn't help, when it wasn't slipping it was saying "what efficiency?". In my teen (read: stupid as gently caress) years I actually tried racing a Geo Metro with it... and lost. MPG was single digits most of the time, my best was 11 MPG when I moved from El Paso to DFW (about 650 miles).

My 4 cylinder 1999 Altima cranks out 150 hp/154 ft lbs from an engine roughly half the size (2.4 vs 5.8), in a 2800 pound chassis. And it's an 80s engine design that was kept alive long, long after it should have died. That power rating was the same from 93-99 (00-01 got an extra 5 hp). Mileage isn't anything to write home about, though I get better than EPA ratings - usually 21-23 city, ~25 mixed. Haven't had it on a road trip, so I can't vouch for highway, but it's rated 21/28/24 (city/highway/mixed). My most recent tank was about 50/50 city/country roads (lots of dirt roads, lots of 2 lane blacktop, lots of slowing to 30 for curves and accelerating back up to 60, no highway at all) and worked out to exactly 25 mpg, with the a/c on.

The itty bitty 1.4 in the Chevy Cruze cranks out almost the same power as my 2.4L Altima, admittedly with the help of a snail. Except even the automatic, and a pretty drat heavy chassis for a compact car (IIRC, it weighs about 250 lbs more than my Altima, despite being smaller), it felt a lot quicker than it should have. It's not fast, but the rental I had was still fun even with the automatic. I'll admit right now I'd drive the hell out of a MT Cruze or Sonic. I beat the poo poo out of it the entire day I had it - the average MPG display was 32 when I picked it up.. 35 when I dropped it off, despite mashing the gas everywhere. :downsgun:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Crossposting from the "Post the very best in obsolete and failed technology" thread in PYF:

0toShifty posted:

Here's some more old-rear end oil. A customer brought this in to dispose of it. It's still sealed.

Made by Sears Roebuck and Co. we figure late 50s or early 60s.

We gave it to a local hot-rod shop - they're going to display it with their show cars.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
It's almost funny to look at high performance supercars of the 80s and see how they compare to what we're driving now. I mean, when you consider that tire technology has improved dramatically over the last 30 years as well, I'm wondering if a 2013 V6 camry could drive off the dealer's lot and through a time portal and beat an early 80s Lamborghini around a track.

1989 Ferrari Testarossa. 0-60 in 6.2 seconds. 1/4 mile in 14.1 seconds.

1984 Porsche 911 Carrara. 0-60 in 6.2 seconds. 1/4 mile in 14.6 seconds.

1984 Chevrolet Corvette. 0-60 in 6.7 second. 1/4 mile in 15.1 seconds.

1982 Lamborghini Countach. 0-60 in 5.7 seconds. 1/4 mile in 14.1s econds.

No, it's not a dream, it's 2012 and we're all driving supercars!

grover fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 11, 2012

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

some texas redneck posted:

The itty bitty 1.4 in the Chevy Cruze cranks out almost the same power as my 2.4L Altima, admittedly with the help of a snail. Except even the automatic, and a pretty drat heavy chassis for a compact car (IIRC, it weighs about 250 lbs more than my Altima, despite being smaller), it felt a lot quicker than it should have. It's not fast, but the rental I had was still fun even with the automatic. I'll admit right now I'd drive the hell out of a MT Cruze or Sonic. I beat the poo poo out of it the entire day I had it - the average MPG display was 32 when I picked it up.. 35 when I dropped it off, despite mashing the gas everywhere. :downsgun:

I spent a week with a manual Cruze 1.4 turbo recently and it was quite fun, although there seemed to be more lag than my Saaburu. Driving in town I still only averaged ~19 mpg.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

drgitlin posted:

I spent a week with a manual Cruze 1.4 turbo recently and it was quite fun, although there seemed to be more lag than my Saaburu. Driving in town I still only averaged ~19 mpg.

Remember that guy who paid something like 40k for a lovely Nissan or whatever it was. There's a guy here at work paying 8% on an 84month loan for his Cruze.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

veedubfreak posted:

Remember that guy who paid something like 40k for a lovely Nissan or whatever it was. There's a guy here at work paying 8% on an 84month loan for his Cruze.

I have a co-worker who retired from GM, so he always buys GMs. His last car was a HHR SS with the turbocharged engine, but he sold that and is now driving a Cruze. He told me he could get me the same deal he got, and I asked how much. He told me it was around $25,000.

I'm sure it's a loaded model, but holy poo poo that's a lot of money for an economy car.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Nocheez posted:

I have a co-worker who retired from GM, so he always buys GMs. His last car was a HHR SS with the turbocharged engine, but he sold that and is now driving a Cruze. He told me he could get me the same deal he got, and I asked how much. He told me it was around $25,000.

I'm sure it's a loaded model, but holy poo poo that's a lot of money for an economy car.

I bought a new Jetta 1.8T (shut up) in 2003. It was a very nicely equipped GLS model, with full leather, heated seats, lots of options, and paid a little bit over $21k for it. The next week, a buddy of mine at work spent $23k on a new Cavalier that had no options and drove like a bathtub. Stuff started breaking the first week he owned it. I still can't fathom why anyone would want to spend that kind of money on such a poo poo car.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Toucan Sam posted:

A buddy of mine has a 40k mile 2000 Z28 with headers and 4:11 gears that is his pride and joy. It's a nice car, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't have anything on most newer cars power wise. I told him to watch out for Camry's blowin his doors off. My '06 Monte SS is quicker than his car by a bit and he's jealous of my heated seats and gas mileage. His car is loud, rides rough, and gets horrible gas mileage but open headers and your foot on the floor through three gears is still glorious even if you're not the top dog anymore.

Isn't that like a 350hp car in a 3400lb package though? Should be drat quick especially with the re-gear. Granted, it is a tupperware car so as you mention the experience is only good when it's wide open.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

grover posted:

1984 Chevrolet Corvette. 0-60 in 6.7 second. 1/4 mile in 15.1 seconds.

Slightly unfair since that's the one year of the C4 saddled with the horrific Crossfire TBI setup; depending on source, the L98 TPI in 1985 dropped a solid second off of both times. Point still stands, though.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

grover posted:

I'm wondering if a 2013 V6 corolla could drive off the dealer's lot...

Probably not without a big stack of cash and waiting for the boys to finish up the engine swap.

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

HP Artsandcrafts fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 11, 2012

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

amenenema posted:

Isn't that like a 350hp car in a 3400lb package though? Should be drat quick especially with the re-gear. Granted, it is a tupperware car so as you mention the experience is only good when it's wide open.

If it's a 2000 its an SS,the z28 was up to 97 and had the LT1. An LS1 with headers is probably closer to 335-340 assuming no other mods. With 4.11s it should go damned quick. Unless it's in rough shape, I doubt he's worried about camrys.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

grover posted:

Except without the awesome popup headlamps :saddowns:

I wonder if they'll ever make a comeback.

Content:

blk fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 11, 2012

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
For a second I thought that was a racetrack built into an ocean cruise liner.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Deceptor101 posted:

If it's a 2000 its an SS,the z28 was up to 97 and had the LT1. An LS1 with headers is probably closer to 335-340 assuming no other mods. With 4.11s it should go damned quick. Unless it's in rough shape, I doubt he's worried about camrys.

The Z28 continued all the way through '02, alongside the SS.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

grover posted:

This is why I just hit fastforward whenever Clarkson starts good-old-daying about how everything was faster/more reliable/better at patching up his fragile masculinity in $CURRENT_YEAR - 25 before computers/women/people who like breathing air ruined life.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

blk posted:

Content:

Absolutely had no idea that was a thing, now I'm pouring over it in Google Maps. That is AMAZING.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Boomerjinks posted:

Absolutely had no idea that was a thing, now I'm pouring over it in Google Maps. That is AMAZING.
:psyduck: You're pretty much the definitive movie-car freak, and it's in The Italian Job, one of the most famous car movies of all time.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011

blk posted:

I don't think pop up lights are coming back because of pedestrian safety standards

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

GTi_guy posted:

From last weeks exotic cars and coffee.

Crossposted from the Craigslist thread because Slidebite mentioned it would be his dream garage. As I said there, it's like my childhood dream, just grainier.

This little fella was a gorgeous 2 owner, 30k km 6 speed coupe in my favorite color combo.

Screw the 360, any info on that Fiat 126?!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

IOwnCalculus posted:

Slightly unfair since that's the one year of the C4 saddled with the horrific Crossfire TBI setup; depending on source, the L98 TPI in 1985 dropped a solid second off of both times. Point still stands, though.

It's not just new engines producing absurd power tho - I used to gently caress with Holden V8's and the length of things I had to do to get anything close to 230Kw out of it - modified heads, lumpy cam, over bored, 780cu Rochester before it really woke up and the power I could get was very good for the day but still.

Now it's a doodle to achieve the exact same thing and get another 50+Kw without cracking the engine open. 230Kw for a Holden 308 20 years ago was pretty good. Today you can have 400Kw and you are still pretty much yeah whatever the Holden over there has another 50. 400Kw and it's still street driven quite nicely, my cousin has a 308 that can tool around and yet rips 550Kw at the wheels. That kind of power was just not doable even 10 years ago.

Hell, the Caprice I have can be boosted to 300Kw+ (From 170Kw) with off the shelf supercharger kits, it's road legal, it's not that punishing on economy and you can expect to get a few kms out of it. For us who like modding cars, we can achieve even with old motors so much more it's absurd.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DrPain posted:

Holy poo poo, how amazing would that be?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo, how amazing would that be?

Going off track would be a little eventful

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
You mean AMAZING.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

DrPain posted:

This needs to be a Carmageddon track.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You Am I posted:

Hey, if plane seats can turn into flotation devices then so can a cars!

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

You Am I posted:

Probably no more pucker factor than flying off the roof of a loving building.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

amenenema posted:

It dyno'd 337hp earlier this year, it's a fast car. It's like brand new inside and out but there are so many cars with that kind of power nowadays that ride and drive so much better. I've driven it a lot and it always puts a smile on my face.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

blk posted:

Content:

Clarkson does a thing on this in his Motorworld series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COVd_vwkxCM

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

grover posted:

1982 Lamborghini Countach. 0-60 in 5.7 seconds. 1/4 mile in 14.1s econds.

And not even the latest cars off the line either. I drive a now 14 year old car that can beat my childhood dream car. I feel like moving forward I'm not even expecting cars to get faster, just more fuel efficient, and I'm absolutely fine with that.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
So that means I can put a wing bigger than the Countach's on my car?

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Octopus Magic posted:

So that means I can put a wing bigger than the Countach's on my car?

Yes, as long as it's at the same height as the Countach's.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

drgitlin posted:

It definitely had some nasty turbo lag. I don't see how the hell you can get 19 mpg from a 1.4 though.

Nocheez posted:

The LTZ's MSRP is $24,345 - that's before any options. I just optioned one up to $28,042... :stare:

I just tried optioning what I would actually drive (1LT manual with a few extras). Still a little over $21k, but that's with a sunroof, premium stereo, and fog lights. Can't get 4 wheel discs without going to the 2LT, and that forces leather seats on you :argh:

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

InitialDave posted:

:psyduck: You're pretty much the definitive movie-car freak, and it's in The Italian Job, one of the most famous car movies of all time.

No accounting for taste :negative:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

I don't see how the hell you can get 19 mpg from a 1.4 though.

Turbo engine with lag and a manual.

I'm reading "kept the engine spinning high to avoid lag, got 19 MPG as a side effect."

Geoj fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 12, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

If I flog the poo poo out of my Altima with the a/c on it'll dip to about 17 mpg. And that's winding it out to redline in every gear, WOT or foot off the gas.

It has a 2.4 instead of a 1.4, with slightly more hp/torque (150 hp/154 tq), only 5 gears, and isn't much lighter than a Cruze. Don't forget the 80s engine design, and it's closer to 200k than 100k.

Which is why I'm a bit shocked at 19 mpg from a 1.4. Laggy turbo or not.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Preoptopus posted:

Clarkson does a thing on this in his Motorworld series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COVd_vwkxCM

Man I forgot how good these are. Everything about it is wonderfully 1997.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
So I've got two terrible cell phone pictures of a car I saw slogging it through morning gridlock on my way in to work that sounded like it has more than 8 cylinders and smelled like it had no cats. Can someone help me identify this?

Can anyone help me figure out what I'm looking at other than the world's dirtiest windshield?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

If I flog the poo poo out of my Altima with the a/c on it'll dip to about 17 mpg. And that's winding it out to redline in every gear, WOT or foot off the gas.

It has a 2.4 instead of a 1.4, with slightly more hp/torque (150 hp/154 tq), only 5 gears, and isn't much lighter than a Cruze. Don't forget the 80s engine design, and it's closer to 200k than 100k.

Which is why I'm a bit shocked at 19 mpg from a 1.4. Laggy turbo or not.

My 1.8t with APR tune and manual never even got that low around town. I assume he was just redlining it from light to light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Weinertron posted:

So I've got two terrible cell phone pictures of a car I saw slogging it through morning gridlock on my way in to work that sounded like it has more than 8 cylinders and smelled like it had no cats. Can someone help me identify this?

Can anyone help me figure out what I'm looking at other than the world's dirtiest windshield?

I think it's a 65-67 Ferrari 330 GT 2+2.