Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Dandy Shrew posted:

I'm in Ireland and my doctor recommended I get the flu shot, just because of the weakened immune system that comes with pregnancy. I'm not sure I need the tdap though because I got one in april before I even got knocked up. That should still hold me over, yeah?

TDaps are suppse to be good for 7 years, just make sure you actually got the TDap and not the TD!

I had a mild struggle with my mom over it. She had a tetanus shot this past year when she fell outside and got scraped up and broke her arm, but she didn't know if she got the TD or the TDap and was being lackadaisical about it. She finally called and asked and she had the right one.

My husband teaches at a college with dirty, dirty gross students so I am making sure he's up to date on his shots.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe

Ceridwen posted:

I haven't been through this specifically, but I would make sure to tell him and your SIL before you start making the news public. And make sure that you are just honest with them about not wanting to steal their thunder but are genuinely thrilled about this pregnancy. Give them a little time to come to terms with it before it becomes big news. That way they don't end up on the spot and unprepared if they find out with a bunch of other people around.

I'd also make very sure your parents know that it's your job to tell your brother and SIL and not theirs. Sometimes parents know better but still let things slip. I found out when I told my sister about this pregnancy that my mom had actually told my sister already, when we thought I was miscarrying at 5 weeks. I thought she knew she wasn't supposed to be spreading the news about this pregnancy but we hadn't been very explicit about it and clearly should have been.

Good points, thanks. My parents definitely know to keep it mum so I'm not worried about that. I plan to tell them and only them (bro and sis in law) after the doctor's visit on 11/5 then *ideally* waiting till Thanksgiving (11/27ish will be 12 weeks) to tell the rest of the family/everyone else.

I just feel bad that everyone is going to be all, "Oh, bro and sis in law, this DEFINITELY means you'll get pregnant now! Tee hee! It's catchy! You know how it goes! Babies are good luck for fertility!" and all that. I'm overthinking it, and I know that after the initial (and internal, I know they'll never let it show) hurt they'll be thrilled for me.

Now, it'd be awesome if I couldn't smell everything in a 5 mile radius. Urk!

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?
I am pondering my glasses prescription, which is outdated. I know they say your vision can change during pregnancy- should I wait until after I give birth to get my exam, and if so, how long? I've had glasses since I was 4, so I don't know if I would actually notice my vision getting worse :)

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Cathis posted:

I am pondering my glasses prescription, which is outdated. I know they say your vision can change during pregnancy- should I wait until after I give birth to get my exam, and if so, how long? I've had glasses since I was 4, so I don't know if I would actually notice my vision getting worse :)

I recall my OB saying to wait a year. Either way you should definitely wait until after you have the baby.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I have an eye exam today for new glasses. I couldn't help it though. I've needed an appointment for a long time, but I've been lazy and I need to do it before I lose my insurance! After over a decade of my prescription being fine my graves disease made my eyesight worse. I was waiting for my thyroid to stabilize before I went for an eye exam, but my first month with a stable thyroid, I got pregnant!

My glasses are also half broken.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Cathis posted:

I asked about it, and they suggest waiting until after you have the baby, since it can keep changing up until a couple of months postpartum. Some people say their vision gets worse during pregnancy, then improves again once they're not pregnant anymore. I've also heard that if you plan to breastfeed, that can continue to screw with your vision.

I've got poo poo vision and I didn't go to the eye doctor during pregnancy, mostly because I didn't want to waste money on a prescription that would change again in another 3 months or so. It probably goes without saying though that if you're having a hard time seeing well enough to drive, then just go in.

Bitter[HATE]
Jul 28, 2000
I am EDGAR and today is THE BIG DAY.
Chiming in super late, but I've been lurking on this thread for months now on the lookout for stuff and picking up tips. Thanks to people who actually post!

We are at 41 weeks 2 days and my wife's contractions started this morning, we are just waiting at home till they get around the every 5 mins stage before we go in but the car is packed.

Pregnancy was totally uneventful. No sickness, no complications, she kept working up until last week. And even last night she put up some shelves in the bedroom, she's a machine fueled by awesome.

Wish us luck!

Oh and she got a flu shot 2 weeks ago for the record.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Cathis posted:

For a while postpartum, my vision would blur in and out, so I would wait if you can!

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Ceridwen posted:

To get back to something slightly more on topic: We had our NT scan yesterday and it looks like my subchorionic hematoma may have finally resolved! It's been there since at least 5 weeks (when it was HUGE compared to the gestational sac) and at one point the OB seemed pretty convinced it would cause me to miscarry so I'm pretty thrilled. Still a bit nervous about getting the results of the screening next week but I'm starting to think this pregnancy thing might actually work out for me this time.

And kind of a dumb question: My weight gain for the pregnancy should start from my pre-pregnancy weight, right? Not whatever I dropped to from the morning sickness?

Sounds like the same experience I had, bleeding from week 6, culminating in a huge bleed in week 9ish, SCH was totally undetectable on our 12 week u/s. Congrats :)

Try not to get too worked up over the screening results one way or the other, the AFP screen in particular (which you may not have til 16 weeks, it's a blood test) gives a huge number of false positives. Our NT measurement and first blood screen was perfect, and th AFP came back a bt wonky. We decided not to worry and pursue it because baby looks perfect on u/s, no soft markers for anything whatsoever, so doing an amnio seemed needless, especially given all the issues I had in the beginning.

Will be rooting for you and baby :)

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Schweig und tanze posted:

Sounds like the same experience I had, bleeding from week 6, culminating in a huge bleed in week 9ish, SCH was totally undetectable on our 12 week u/s. Congrats :)

Try not to get too worked up over the screening results one way or the other, the AFP screen in particular (which you may not have til 16 weeks, it's a blood test) gives a huge number of false positives. Our NT measurement and first blood screen was perfect, and th AFP came back a bt wonky. We decided not to worry and pursue it because baby looks perfect on u/s, no soft markers for anything whatsoever, so doing an amnio seemed needless, especially given all the issues I had in the beginning.

Will be rooting for you and baby :)

Thanks!

We're not doing the secondary bloodwork at 16 weeks, just doing the first tri part, which I think only looks at HCG and PAPP-A. If we get bad results from that we'll have to decide what the next step is.

Just for added fun, I just came from from an emergency visit to the OB after waking up from a nap to a giant red bleed. Thankfully they were able to squeeze me in for an ultrasound before closing. Baby looks great but I've got marginal placental previa right now, which the doc is pretty certain was the source of the bleed this time. He could see what he's pretty sure is the clotted blood from my SCH but definitely no active bleeding in that area. So the bleeding was pretty terrifying but it looks like things should be ok.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Ceridwen posted:

Just for added fun, I just came from from an emergency visit to the OB after waking up from a nap to a giant red bleed. Thankfully they were able to squeeze me in for an ultrasound before closing. Baby looks great but I've got marginal placental previa right now, which the doc is pretty certain was the source of the bleed this time. He could see what he's pretty sure is the clotted blood from my SCH but definitely no active bleeding in that area. So the bleeding was pretty terrifying but it looks like things should be ok.

As a fellow sufferer of pregnancy bleeding, I just want you to know you aren't alone. Nothing is scarier than waking up to find you're bleeding, it's happened with my last two (same diagnosis, marginal PP) and they're both healthy, happy, and (currently) one is annoying the pants off of me by not wanting to sleep!

Good luck!

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
I have a question about gassy babies.

My son is 2.5 weeks now, and I think he's having gas/digestive issues. Often times he'll get very fussy and upset and I can see him straining very hard, like he's trying to have a bowel movement. He has one once a day/night, or every other day. Sometimes he might have small ones during the day, but nothing very significant. But I can tell when he's straining that he's very uncomfortable. He also has a hard time burping.

Someone advised us to get gripe water, and it does help him to burp more easily. He passes gas quite a bit, too. It's the bowel movements I'm concerned about, and seeing him strain himself so much. I'm going to call his pediatrician tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

CravingSolace posted:

I have a question about gassy babies.

My son is 2.5 weeks now, and I think he's having gas/digestive issues. Often times he'll get very fussy and upset and I can see him straining very hard, like he's trying to have a bowel movement. He has one once a day/night, or every other day. Sometimes he might have small ones during the day, but nothing very significant. But I can tell when he's straining that he's very uncomfortable. He also has a hard time burping.

Someone advised us to get gripe water, and it does help him to burp more easily. He passes gas quite a bit, too. It's the bowel movements I'm concerned about, and seeing him strain himself so much. I'm going to call his pediatrician tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

If he's having loose stools and not hard ones, and has plenty of wet diapers then it's unlikely that he's constipated. My daughter Eowyn scared me doing that but according to her doc "She's not in pain, she's just being very, very sincere about her poops." Still, if you're concerned then you should try a product I use called Bio-Gaia. It's a stomach flora supplement that helps regulate a baby's digestion, like Activia for infant booty (except this actually works.) If you're breast just give it mixed with gripe water, if bottle just put it in there. This helped Eowyn with gas so much and I love it.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

My ped explained it to me this way: imagine your muscles were completely new and you had to poop lying down. It's a big effort!

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
Okay. He does has plenty of wet diapers and when he poops, it's loose and not hard, so I guess he's okay. The gripe water does help a lot. He actually slept really well last night, although aside from a few little bowel movements, he didn't have any. Hopefully he'll have one by the end of the night tonight. I'll ask his ped if he thinks I should/could use the Bio-Gaia. We're stopping by the store later, anyway. Thank you!

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama

Ceridwen posted:

I have better luck when I mix juice with water so it's not so sickly sweet. Maybe even mixing it with the carbonated water might help. You'll be getting less carbonation and might be able to tolerate the juice that way.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm almost done with my course of antibiotics and my symptoms have pretty much vanished. Hopefully I can avoid another UTI for the rest of this pregnancy.

I think this question was asked but not answered earlier in the thread, but what are ya'll's thoughts on colouring your hair when pregnant? Are any of you doing so or did so during your pregnancies?

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

CravingSolace posted:

I noticed my guy would struggle with his poop early on, but if he was in his bouncy chair, he'd manage to sneak poops by without me knowing because he didn't struggle with those. I don't know if it's gravity helping him out, or if it's the sitting position that helps him push, but it worked. I started putting him in it every time I saw him starting to grunt or turn red, and he would manage to poop in just a few minutes. We started referring to it as "the pooping chair."

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
I got my flu shot yesterday and the nurse said that I may have mild flu like symptoms, and I guess I do.. I'm not sure, I haven't had any varient of flu for over a decade. I'm a bit heavy headed and I was feeling a bit feverish, and overall a bit lovely since I'm also on antibiotics for a UTI. I just took some paracetamol and had a lie down but am still feeling off. If I weren't pregnant I wouldn't be at all worried about this but I think I'm becoming neurotic.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Dandy Shrew posted:

I got my flu shot yesterday and the nurse said that I may have mild flu like symptoms, and I guess I do.. I'm not sure, I haven't had any varient of flu for over a decade. I'm a bit heavy headed and I was feeling a bit feverish, and overall a bit lovely since I'm also on antibiotics for a UTI. I just took some paracetamol and had a lie down but am still feeling off. If I weren't pregnant I wouldn't be at all worried about this but I think I'm becoming neurotic.

That's very normal. It's from your body mounting an immune response. For me it started about 12 hours or so post-shot and lasted about 36 hours. It's totally normal and not dangerous for you or the baby. For me it was a very mild fever, slight headache, and just feeling grumpy and off.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
I had a fairly crummy reaction to this year's flu shot--a nasty cold, really tired, that kind of thing. It's pretty normal.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

An Cat Dubh posted:

I think this question was asked but not answered earlier in the thread, but what are ya'll's thoughts on colouring your hair when pregnant? Are any of you doing so or did so during your pregnancies?

When I first got pregnant I had been up keeping platinum blonde hair, so it was one of the first questions I asked my doctor. She told me that there were no studies that indicated that it contributed to any defects or conditions and told me to go ahead and do it.

I waited until the second trimester, just to be safe, but that was a self imposed choice. I bleached my hair three times during my pregnancy and dyed it a different colour once. Baby was born perfectly healthy.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

randomfuss posted:

Ok You're freaking me out with the flu vaccine.

Of course here we're all vaccinated against pertussis (not mandatory but schools gets tricky if your kid is not... Like randomly sent home at any outbreak scare and quarantined).

But the flu: when I was pregnant with my 1st we had billboards saying YOU MUST VACCINATE, so I asked my OB/GYN when should I. She said:
"You're not old, athsmatic or have any health problems. I am the first doctor you see in 5y, and how did you cure your last flu?"
Me: "booze" (it was 7y ago)
So she said no shot for me, just prevention and no booze if I get sick.

I asked for a 2nd advice but doctors seemed really not interested in vaccinating pregnant me against the flu. I do have a doctor waiting to inject me with the MMR vaccine since my "R" immunity is borderline, so they're not crazy anti-vaxxers here.

Oh it's Europe.

I don't know where in Europe you are but I'm in Norway and they tell preggos to wait until 2nd trimesters to get the flu shot. Sometimes countries have different recommendations on these kinds of things. If it's a national guideline or whatever I'd not worry about it honestly.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Any good websites that have a master list of foods to avoid during pregnancy? Obviously I know too much mercury, caffeine, etc, but if there was a list (put together by a reputable source) that had other things, I'd like to know.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I don't have a website, but some things are hard rules, others vary a lot. My OB was fine with some caffeine, for example.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yeah, I was doing some random googling today and came up with all sorts of weird stuff that is "bad during pregnancy" or "could cause miscarriages"-- such as eggplant, cayenne pepper, and other completely off the wall things. I haven't been able to find anything like that on a normal (not crazy) website though. I'm going to go ahead at this point and assume if Mayo Clinic doesn't have it on their list of things to avoid that it is fine.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Your OB or midwife should give you a handout of guidelines for pregnancy anyways. Not that looking things up ourselves isn't great, but it's also nice to be lazy sometimes and just go off of that.

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere

An Cat Dubh posted:

Hair dye used properly - with proper ventilation - is pretty much safe. The reason it's not done as much is not health but cosmetic - your body chemistry changes during pregnancy, and many women find that their hair reacts differently to dye while pregnant. Some find the dye won't hold in their hair and some find that the dye turns a much different color than they're expecting. I stopped dying my hair during pregnancy just in case for these reasons and went back to it afterwards.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

sheri posted:

Any good websites that have a master list of foods to avoid during pregnancy? Obviously I know too much mercury, caffeine, etc, but if there was a list (put together by a reputable source) that had other things, I'd like to know.

The NHS website has a page on food to avoid.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

sheri posted:

Apparently deli meats are frowned upon, which I found out about eight months in and I packed a sandwich to work almost every day.

So yeah, lists are good but take it all with a grain of salt.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
Has anyone ever tried co-bathing? I just heard about it today, but I'm not sure about the specifics. How old was your baby when you started co-bathing, and how did you go about it? I bought an infant bath tub today, but Stephen isn't a fan of it. Maybe that'll change when he's older and can sit up on his own and therefor can play in the water a bit instead of just lying in the hammock it comes with, but until then, maybe co-bathing would be okay?

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

CravingSolace posted:

Has anyone ever tried co-bathing? I just heard about it today, but I'm not sure about the specifics. How old was your baby when you started co-bathing, and how did you go about it? I bought an infant bath tub today, but Stephen isn't a fan of it. Maybe that'll change when he's older and can sit up on his own and therefor can play in the water a bit instead of just lying in the hammock it comes with, but until then, maybe co-bathing would be okay?

I took baths with my babies when they were newborns. I just filled the bath with warm water and then held them on my chest and lap. It was comforting for them to have me there and I love baths so it was relaxing for me too.

I will warn you that bathing with my first son sometimes resulted in him pooping. Then it was in-the-shower time to rinse us both off and he didn't like it.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

CravingSolace posted:

I saw it suggested and thought "ah, that sounds all snuggly and peaceful," and then I realized that the 3 minutes I get to spend in the shower each day is like, the only 3 minutes of my day that I get completely to myself, so I abandoned the idea.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Mnemosyne posted:

I saw it suggested and thought "ah, that sounds all snuggly and peaceful," and then I realized that the 3 minutes I get to spend in the shower each day is like, the only 3 minutes of my day that I get completely to myself, so I abandoned the idea.

I couldn't help but laugh at this because it's true, lol. At the same time, I want him to enjoy bath time, and he doesn't get a bath every day since he's still really young. I was told to give him a bath every few days since bathing him too often will dry his skin out. So I'm thinking co-bathing a few times a week might not be so bad.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

On a side note, baths get awesome once they can sit up and are coordinated enough to actually play around and enjoy the experience. I had a cold the last couple days so I didn't feel like bending over the tub to give Eve a bath tonight, so she got hers in the kitchen sink. After splashing water all over the floor, she found something new and mysterious to play with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INAxHSn9JPk

This is exactly the sort of stuff I've been looking forward to. :3:

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

CravingSolace posted:

we co-bathed with Connor until he was old enough to sit up in the bath himself. Think we started when he was about a month (once he got too big for the washing up basin we used to fill and bring into the livingroom). One of us would get in the bath and the other would hand him in and out.

I didn't count Connors baths as my washing time, and did my usual washing at a different time. It was just easier than filling the baby bath up and bending over it.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

Lyz posted:

Apparently deli meats are frowned upon, which I found out about eight months in and I packed a sandwich to work almost every day.

So yeah, lists are good but take it all with a grain of salt.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure the list my doctor gave me didn't include things like brie and blue cheese, just cheese made with raw milk. I'll knock off the fun cheeses for the next three weeks but I'm not going to lose sleep over what I've already eaten.

Bathing: The time passed pretty quickly till my daughter was old enough to have fun with it. I might have considered co-bathing if our bathtub wasn't so tiny and cramped. The logistics of getting one grown-up in there are hard enough without worrying about keeping a newborn safe.

I don't remember whether it was when my mother or my grandmother was sent home with her first, but the nurse told her "oh, well, you don't want to wear them out with washing." Not offering that as words of wisdom or anything, it just stuck in my head as kind of cute.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.

CravingSolace posted:

If your guy isn't a fan of the infant bath, he might really like co-bathing. Our guy hated the infant bath tub and would start screaming every time we put him in it, so we started co-bathing out of necessity. He has loved bath time ever since.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
Once jack was crawling well I just let him doodle around in the floor of the shower while I took mine. He loved it. I don't know how we went from that to a two year old who panics any time water gets close to his head or face, but there ya go.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

We found the infant bath more hassle than it was worth; we ended up bathing her in the sink when she was tiny, and after about 3-4 weeks we moved to the big bath, either co bathing or (more often) just kneeling at the side of the bath to support her. She's just starting to try strain to sit up now, so we're heading towards bath seat time!

With future babies I won't be bothering with an infant bath at all, it was one of the least used items I bought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Yeah. I'm pretty sure the list my doctor gave me didn't include things like brie and blue cheese, just cheese made with raw milk. I'll knock off the fun cheeses for the next three weeks but I'm not going to lose sleep over what I've already eaten.

The way we understood the cheese inhibitions was that anything made from pasteurized milk is safe to consume. Just about all cheese you get from the supermarket or get served at a restaurant falls under this classification in the US (including soft cheeses or cheeses with blueing.) If you're getting cheese from a specialty cheese shop (particularly imported stuff), straight from a cheese maker, or at a particularly earthy type eating establishment (lots of emphasis on organics) then I think it's worth checking a little bit closer.