Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

syphon posted:

In case anyone is interested, I got Zoneminder working. My take from it is that Raspberry Pi is not very good with cameras.

I bought a Microsoft USB webcam, which advertises 720p video (and a hasty googling showed to work just fine on linux). Apparently, something to do with the Pi's USB port means that it won't do any better than 320x240. Even running a single camera at 1fps with Zoneminder sets the cpu load >1 quite a lot. You can forget about motion detection, recording video, or multiple cameras.

Many of those webcams offload the processing for high-resolution video to the CPU, with the expectation that you'll have them plugged into a modern dual or quad core computer so the processing won't make a difference to the user. Now, given that the Pi has a single very slow core compared to any recent desktop, this causes problems trying to go above very small video feeds on the Pi with it.

If you want to use a webcam, you're going to need to track down which cameras handle all the processing stuff onboard, instead of offloading it to a CPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolex
May 5, 2001

syphon posted:

In case anyone is interested, I got Zoneminder working. My take from it is that Raspberry Pi is not very good with cameras.

I bought a Microsoft USB webcam, which advertises 720p video (and a hasty googling showed to work just fine on linux). Apparently, something to do with the Pi's USB port means that it won't do any better than 320x240. Even running a single camera at 1fps with Zoneminder sets the cpu load >1 quite a lot. You can forget about motion detection, recording video, or multiple cameras.

I hear that IP cameras might work better, since it offloads all the video compression onto the device itself. I'm gonna try it with one of them next to see how much it works. If anything, this experience makes me really want to build up a beefy linux box to run zoneminder with 5-6 IP cameras!
I am having the same experience that you are, Raspi being lovely at performance. I got a Pandaboard ES and am going to check out how well it handles Zoneminder.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
My next step is to buy an IP camera to see how much offloading the video processing onto the camera helps.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Dolex posted:

I am having the same experience that you are, Raspi being lovely at performance. I got a Pandaboard ES and am going to check out how well it handles Zoneminder.

Are you guys overclocking? I noticed a decent performance gain going to 900mhz.

Im looking at using this camera module for a snapshot device on an elaborate mouse trap. Is any one else pulling images off the gpio pins? Or is it even possible?

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I'm having even more problems with ZoneMinder on the RPi than just performance. I bought an IP camera from Fry's, but ZoneMinder on the RPi won't even work with it ("Failed to Capture Image" error). I downloaded a ZoneMinder VM Appliance I found on the internet, and it worked instantly.

I'm thinking I may just have to give up on using the RPi for cameras. :(

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I've got a bit of a specific question. I'm thinking about ordering a Raspberry Pi to get the same function as a smart TV box. That requires a few things and I want to make sure I can do it with Xbian.

1. Can I use it to access SAMBA shares?
2. Can I remote desktop to it in any way? (Android as a remote would be best, Windows might work)
3. Can it play all major video formats and handle .mkv's?

I'd appreciate the help.

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

It's casual Friday! Pants are optional!

klosterdev posted:

I've got a bit of a specific question. I'm thinking about ordering a Raspberry Pi to get the same function as a smart TV box. That requires a few things and I want to make sure I can do it with Xbian.

1. Can I use it to access SAMBA shares?
2. Can I remote desktop to it in any way? (Android as a remote would be best, Windows might work)
3. Can it play all major video formats and handle .mkv's?

I'd appreciate the help.

1. Yes
2. Shell sessions, yes. Video sessions maybe with a lot of work -- VNC may not work and Synergy will not work because XBMC does not use X.
3. Only h.264 is hardware-accelerated. The container format doesn't matter so much. You should be okay with .mkv files as long as the video format is h.264. Otherwise you're stuck with software rendering, which may not necessarily be able to handle everything you throw at it. SD might be fine rendered by software, but it will depend on the encoding and specific resolution.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Prize Loser posted:

1. Yes
2. Shell sessions, yes. Video sessions maybe with a lot of work -- VNC may not work and Synergy will not work because XBMC does not use X.
3. Only h.264 is hardware-accelerated. The container format doesn't matter so much. You should be okay with .mkv files as long as the video format is h.264. Otherwise you're stuck with software rendering, which may not necessarily be able to handle everything you throw at it. SD might be fine rendered by software, but it will depend on the encoding and specific resolution.

Plus you can get an MPEG2 hardware license for a couple of bucks. And it's only $35, so you have very little to lose if it doesn't suit your purposes exactly.

Of course, I ordered mine in July and I'm still waiting to get it, but that's irrelevant. I'm looking forward to it showing up in November.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

klosterdev posted:

There is an android XBMC remote app that i've tried and works fine, though once i learned about CEC support I've just use my tv remote

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So other than cost, why should I get a Raspberry PI over a IMX53QSB with a hdmi board?

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

So other than cost, why should I get a Raspberry PI over a IMX53QSB with a hdmi board?

Cost is pretty much the only reason to go for a Raspberry Pi. The low cost allows me to use them for projects where I'd otherwise be using a microcontroller, but with the Pi, I can have a full Linux distro and the convenience that provides. It also lets you do things that would otherwise require a much larger and more expensive computer. If I wanted something similar with more horsepower and features, I'd probably go with the Pandaboard or Beagleboard since they seem to have a larger community around their development.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

syzygy86 posted:

Cost is pretty much the only reason to go for a Raspberry Pi. The low cost allows me to use them for projects where I'd otherwise be using a microcontroller, but with the Pi, I can have a full Linux distro and the convenience that provides. It also lets you do things that would otherwise require a much larger and more expensive computer. If I wanted something similar with more horsepower and features, I'd probably go with the Pandaboard or Beagleboard since they seem to have a larger community around their development.

I have been using the leopardboard at work for the last few months, and anything TI is really really lovely. Stay away from the DM365/DM368 in particular. The Omaps aren't bad, but I still hate Cmem and anything TI touches.

edit* The pandaboard is better all around, but I like Freescale in-particular. :)

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

I have been using the leopardboard at work for the last few months, and anything TI is really really lovely. Stay away from the DM365/DM368 in particular. The Omaps aren't bad, but I still hate Cmem and anything TI touches.

edit* The pandaboard is better all around, but I like Freescale in-particular. :)

Well if you like the Freescale stuff, then sure, go for it. The Pi board is all about being cheap, so pretty much anything else will be more expensive and have more features.

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about the TI stuff? I've never used the Leopard Board before, but other TI chips I've used has been pretty good (mainly MSP-430 based, which is low end microcontroller stuff). I don't have a Panda/Beagle board either so I guess I shouldn't promote them too much.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

syzygy86 posted:

Well if you like the Freescale stuff, then sure, go for it. The Pi board is all about being cheap, so pretty much anything else will be more expensive and have more features.

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about the TI stuff? I've never used the Leopard Board before, but other TI chips I've used has been pretty good (mainly MSP-430 based, which is low end microcontroller stuff). I don't have a Panda/Beagle board either so I guess I shouldn't promote them too much.

I guess working with to chips for so long my main complaints are as follows:
Their kernel modules suck. (Cmem mostly)
Code composer studio sucks.
their support sucks.
Their multimedia codecs suck.

As for regular day to day operations they aren't too bad. I am just a crotchety old man.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

:siren: Raspis now ship with 512mb ram :siren:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2180

Just dont order from RS if you want them any time soon :)

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

Jamsta posted:

Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff mine arrived today.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Jamsta posted:

Fantastic, i should get mine in november.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Hmmm... do you think the 512mb upgrade will help with XBMC (Raspmbc) speed?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vinlaen posted:

Hmmm... do you think the 512mb upgrade will help with XBMC (Raspmbc) speed?

Most likely it'll help with just about everything. Never hurts to have more RAM, but I don't think anyone can say just how much better any given program will run.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Between the turbo mode and the extra RAM, I wonder how the new model would perform with OpenCV (one of the things I was hoping to do was play around with robot vision). I remember hearing about someone getting the old model to work with Kinect vision algorithms, but it was kind of slow.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
If there are any Aussie goons wanting one, element14 have 2700 of the 512MBs in stock for same day delivery.

Just cancelled my RS Components order that's been sitting unfulfilled for four months and now I'm on my third attempt at obtaining a Pi.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Trip report: Today my 512mb(!) Raspberries arrived ... only 12 days after placing an order with Farnell. The RS ones ordered 3 months ago still ain't here.

Pi #1:
Configured as a cheap thin client for work. Installed rdesktop, x11vnc server for remote support, and setup a bash script on boot that launches and automatically configures an RDP connection based on a config file on an intranet server. Works great. I've made an image of the card so it should be easy to roll these out around the factory very quickly.
Even had time to play around with a PoE splitter for power. Tomorrow I should get a few monitors with a built-in USB hub, and will see how well they work.

Pi #2:
Installed Xbian first to use as a HTPC. Didn't manage to add any video sources, as it would always freeze when I tried to do that. No idea why.
Then I reflashed the card with Raspbmc instead, which is working kinda OK. Had a few random hangs when just moving through the UI which required restarting XBMC (the Pi itself didn't crash). Also getting a few seconds of a black screen every 5-10mins at random when playing video, but that's not a big deal. Going to mess around and fix that tomorrow, assuming it finishes loading my library overnight...

It's worth pointing out that they've released new firmware you'll need to use in order to take advantage of the new 512mb RAM. Just replace your startup.elf with the appropriate one of these:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/master/boot
I can't say how performance compares to the old revision though, as I've not used a 256mb Pi.

Binskin
Dec 15, 2005
Better this then 'Stupid Newbie'.

frumpsnake posted:

... Aussie goons ...

I ordered 2 last night when it said 'shipping 2-3 days from singapore' which was fine, but checking this morning to find 2700 in stock, orders is currently sitting in processing, hopefully they'll be here today.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

xtothez posted:

It's worth pointing out that they've released new firmware you'll need to use in order to take advantage of the new 512mb RAM. Just replace your startup.elf with the appropriate one of these:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/master/boot
I can't say how performance compares to the old revision though, as I've not used a 256mb Pi.

Perhaps run a Pi with the old firmware so it won't access the extra ram?

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

It's casual Friday! Pants are optional!

Prize Loser posted:

Also the Pi I ordered a couple of days ago says it won't ship until the end of October, but I'll post back and say if that lead time is accurate when I get a shipping notification. I did specifically request a revision 2.0 board, though, so it's possible that my order will end up on hold for a bit.

I placed my order October 1st, I got an email today (October 15th) saying that I would be receiving a 512MB RAM unit and then another email today with a tracking number. My original lead said it would ship on November 1st.

Edit: This is through Newark, of course.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Placed an order for a Pi from Newark at 11:45am, got an e-mail saying it was shipping today. Got an e-mail at 5pm saying it will ship 10/26, I am not sure if I should believe that shipping date or not.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

UC Special Task Force Unit Operative
I ordered from Newark on 9/29, and got an email saying my back ordered Pi would be upgraded to the 512. Still no shipping notification, and still back ordered in my history. When I went to the product page to see if the "100 to ship Nov 1st" message was still there the Pi board isn't on there and they've reinstated the waiting e-mail list to even place an order.

Just checked my bank and Newark has two pending $44 transactions, so I guess it'll ship soon (and hopefully cancel the double bill!)

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Mine arrived today, so ~36 hours all up. All things considered, pretty happy with performance so far. Giving raspbmc a whirl right now.

edit: Okay. Xbian is a giant piece of poo poo, Raspbmc was a breeze to set up but stuttered on 1080p, and OpenELEC was a pain but works perfectly on even the most demanding content like my 35GB remux of Avatar.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 17, 2012

Binskin
Dec 15, 2005
Better this then 'Stupid Newbie'.

frumpsnake posted:

Mine arrived today

Same, i'm currently running Openelec on my existing one, which works really well (other than the odd issue with thumbnail weirdness). One of the ones that arrived today may end up replacing my ATV2/xbmc combo depending on how it stacks against it (the original one is stuck to the tele in my room) - wife is just happy she can stop shows half way through, head to bed and pick up where she left off.

If it replaces the ATV2 - *profit on ebay*

Also might have a go at the pvr stuff with the latest raspbmc release i think.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Ordered some gear for my Pi; HDMI cables and SD cards, should arrive within the week.

Also ordering a second Pi now that I'll get double the RAM, happy I didn't buy two at once. Including some cases as well. It'll take six weeks to arrive.

Turning my first Pi into a very basic announcement system. It should be able to play sound files and text to speech, all triggered by a web application. I can then hook it up to, say, my e-mail and have it make noise and summarize the message over TTS. Or I can have the Nagios monitoring system at work send a signal when something goes down. And finally, I can let select people use it as a means to get my attention by pressing some buttons on a website.

I'm also curious to see how much of a gaming platform the Pi can be, because of their low price it's easy enough to host a LAN party with some of these. The selection of games remains limited but there are plenty of awesome games that don't need a lot of power, like OpenTTD. I wonder how well DosBOX and other emulators will run on this.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
My Raspberry PI is scheduled to be delivered Friday. When i ordered it, Newark estimated 1st week of november as my delivery date. Newark is definitely fantastic in terms of underpromising and overperforming.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
My Raspberry Pi was just shipped yesterday, though it seems the case I wanted won't be in stock until the end of the month.

I did, however, receive all the other accessories I had ordered, including this keyboard:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/ADAFRUIT-INDUSTRIES-922-/83-14403

It looks like it could be useful as a remote control for a robot or automated system, or to control a media center platform (You could even use the built-in laser pointer to play with your cat while you're watching something).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So is anyone running XBMC on their Pi (raspbmc or xbian) connected to a centralized mysql db? I am wondering if that will increase the menu speed at all.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Mister Fister posted:

My Raspberry PI is scheduled to be delivered Friday. When i ordered it, Newark estimated 1st week of november as my delivery date. Newark is definitely fantastic in terms of underpromising and overperforming.

You're telling me. After recieving my first two, I ordered 5 more on Tuesday morning. Guess what happened this evening...

quote:

Your Farnell Order Has Been Shipped.

Products shipped in this consignment:
Part Num. Qty Ordered Qty Shipped Qty to Follow Product description Mnfr Part #
2191863 5 5 0 RASPBRRY-MODB-512M SBC, RASPBERRY PI, MODEL B, 512MB

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Moey posted:

So is anyone running XBMC on their Pi (raspbmc or xbian) connected to a centralized mysql db? I am wondering if that will increase the menu speed at all.

I'm using a MySQL db w/OpenElec. Scrolling could be better but it seems decent when loading the artwork all things considered. Only running on a Class 4.

http://youtu.be/fTfu9cvblGs

(As the XBMC wiki warns, Redirecting the thumbnails to a share on my NAS definitely slowed things down though, so I copied them back locally.)

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 18, 2012

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I'm going to give OpenELEC a try... I've tried RaspBMC and it keeps freezing when I try to play video (MKV, H.264, and AC-3 audio) but works fine on my other XBMC machines. Also the Pi isn't freezing since I can SSH in and reboot it, etc.

Are there any disadvantages to OpenELEC over RaspBMC?

Vinlaen fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 18, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

There are a few drawbacks, there's no package manager so you can't apt-get anything, and right now there are no releases, just nightlies, so things can break (XBMC just changed its artwork grabber and semi-broke the default Confluence skin, for instance). And the script to create the SD card partitions is Linux only, so if you're on Mac or PC and want to use the full card size your choices are to write an unofficial 4/8/16GB image in its entirety or to boot up with GParted to resize the linux partition.

However, it's by far the most lean and optimised build if you just want XBMC happening, and the only one I found that is capable of playing high-bitrate 1080p while decoding DTS rather than bitstreaming.

If you are going to try it out, I'd just grab one one of these images for your size card then up/downgrade to r12026 by putting KERNEL and SYSTEM in /.update and rebooting.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 18, 2012

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Or use Virtualbox and pass through your SD card reader.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Anyone here try running a rPi Plex server or client yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I've heard that slightly older Mac Minis don't even make good Plex Servers, so I'm not sure I'd even try it with an RPi. I'm curious to see how a client would work though!