Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Morbid Florist posted:

Love the pipe organ intro. I really wish someone would take black metal and bring it to the more traditional instruments without losing the cold and chaos. Blast beats from an entire percussion section and strings played so fast the bows smoke. :black101:

How can one lo-fi up a pipe organ and give it the necro treatment

Can't do that because it would end up being Classical Technical Death Metal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vprI6tZ2Feo

Beethoven and Wagner are already way too Black Metal for anyone to match nowadays. A band called Shoor are on a 3-way split featuring Into Oblivion and Cromlech called Under The Banner Of The Serpent Sun (an Into Oblivion band member uploaded the album and posted the link online), and they have a fairly Black Metal by way of Dead Can Dance sort of structure to their music, while wrapping it in middle eastern instrumentation. Orchestras probably wouldn't work, but it can be done very well with a small group using traditional instrumentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Does Enslaved even remotely count as black metal anymore?

Either way, the new album releases tomorrow and they have two tracks up on their site. I am loving this poo poo so far. Then again, these guys can seriously do no wrong by me, and YMMV.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

RHTITE posted:

Can't do that because it would end up being Classical Technical Death Metal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vprI6tZ2Feo

Beethoven and Wagner are already way too Black Metal for anyone to match nowadays. A band called Shoor are on a 3-way split featuring Into Oblivion and Cromlech called Under The Banner Of The Serpent Sun (an Into Oblivion band member uploaded the album and posted the link online), and they have a fairly Black Metal by way of Dead Can Dance sort of structure to their music, while wrapping it in middle eastern instrumentation. Orchestras probably wouldn't work, but it can be done very well with a small group using traditional instrumentation.

Beethoven and Wagner ARE already blacker than most. My issue is that I haven't heard any songs that STAY grim and black. They all end up going through happier parts before coming back. I could very well be wrong, I don't have much of either to listen to. I'd like to be wrong on that front.

That Paganini song is pretty intense. It starts off like a loving Dragonforce lead :)

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

RHTITE posted:

Paganini was rumored to have sold his soul to the devil too :black101:

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Morbid Florist posted:

Beethoven and Wagner ARE already blacker than most. My issue is that I haven't heard any songs that STAY grim and black. They all end up going through happier parts before coming back. I could very well be wrong, I don't have much of either to listen to. I'd like to be wrong on that front.

That Paganini song is pretty intense. It starts off like a loving Dragonforce lead :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8wHteSOwW4&feature=related

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Morbid Florist posted:

Touche

I more meant an orchestra. Black metal's pretty much classical music sped way the gently caress up and distorted on a guitar. I'm saying why not just speed up classical music as fast as possible but keep it all in an orchestra. No loving banjos or saxophones.

Do what Wagner did only grimmer and faster.
Honestly, aside from your obvious poor taste in not liking saxophones or banjos, I see one major problem with that idea. The way you're describing it, whoever finally makes that album will be a tremendous nazi douchehole, which means I would have to pirate it.

Does anyone have suggestions for other black metal bands similar to Panopticon? I've been listening to a lot of their stuff recently.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Honestly, aside from your obvious poor taste

Excuse me?

Shut the gently caress up.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
I deleted two my little pony replies but yeah, talk about irony...

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Morbid Florist posted:

I deleted two my little pony replies but yeah, talk about irony...

To be fair, you have shown quite a bit of poor taste in the past.

:v:

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
Taste is unkvlt. So are ponies.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Morbid Florist posted:

Mozart's Requiem. Although that might be more doom metal than black metal....

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Weaponized Cum posted:

Excuse me?

Shut the gently caress up.
Oh yeah, you sure showed me. I'll think twice next time before someone buys me an avatar.

But seriously, it amazes me that it's been about a year and people still don't realize that the vast majority of pony avatars on the forum are bought as the slightly more subtle equivalent of big red text.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Oh yeah, you sure showed me. I'll think twice next time before someone buys me an avatar.

But seriously, it amazes me that it's been about a year and people still don't realize that the vast majority of pony avatars on the forum are bought as the slightly more subtle equivalent of big red text.

Nobody cares about your opinions or your lovely avatar. Stop posting.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Weaponized Cum posted:

You sure seemed to care about his avatar when you put it in your post. Calm down.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Excuse me, you don't just start talking about magical ponies, before you invoke that type of fantastic creature in the black metal thread you need some BESTIAL SUMMONING!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZBYQkDAHRQ

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Weaponized Cum posted:

You sure are mad for no good reason. Have you considered calming down?

It's not my fault Morbid Florist thinks that banjos and saxophones can't have a place in metal music. And that his posting that reminded me that he didn't see anything grim about things like this when we were discussing Panopticon's Kentucky.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You sure are mad for no good reason. Have you considered calming down?

It's not my fault Morbid Florist thinks that banjos and saxophones can't have a place in metal music. And that his posting that reminded me that he didn't see anything grim about things like this when we were discussing Panopticon's Kentucky.

It's not that they can't have a place, it's that they shouldn't. Because most people know better that to try to fit square pegs into round holes. Good job on the "U mad" slam, though.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

RHTITE posted:

It's not that they can't have a place, it's that they shouldn't. Because most people know better that to try to fit square pegs into round holes.

And why shouldn't they? Because you, personally don't like how it sounds? Oh well, wrap it up boys, RHTITE says they don't belong.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Isn't the best part about metal the ability to do whatever the gently caress you want?

Saxophones and more so brass instruments will always have their place in metal music. They just need to be done right.

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006

Morbid Florist posted:

Some more modern composers have some pretty grim material.

Take Arvo Part for instance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxDc24zSuzU

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

RHTITE posted:

S-S-Someone's disturbing the sanctity of metal by adding instruments that aren't kvlt OR trve! I decide how musicians make their music, not them!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Please don't do this poo poo, ugh.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Hey Het, I know you aren't allowed to say who bought what avatar. But can you at least confirm it wasn't you that changed it? Because if it wasn't you, it's the first time someone has gotten angry enough at my posting to waste :10bux: on a dumb avatar. That's a goon's rite of passage, like growing your first neckbeard or making GBS threads your pants as an adult.

Seriously, though, anyone have recommendations if I like Panopticon? I'm looking through the artists he's done splits with now, but I'm hoping there's some great obscure band I would never have heard of without this thread that does a similar thing.

Not WitTR, since I know I've heard those comparisons. For some reason, I just never could really get into them.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Seriously, though, anyone have recommendations if I like Panopticon? I'm looking through the artists he's done splits with now, but I'm hoping there's some great obscure band I would never have heard of without this thread that does a similar thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_4_xA4pHtY

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7xewQUdk0w

quote:

In October 2007 Shining toured Europe as support for the progressive black metal band Enslaved. The concerts usually ended with the two bands doing a cover version of King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man. After seeing a video of one of these covers, the programme committee of Moldejazz commissioned the two bands to write and perform a 90-minute work together.

The resulting work Nine Nights in Nothingness -- Glimpses of Downfall, often referred to as The Armageddon Concerto, was first performed at Moldejazz 19 July 2008. The concerto consists of nine movements, five of which were composed by Jørgen Munkeby and four by Ivar Bjørnson of Enslaved.

Inspired by Norse mythology, doomsday cults and science fiction, the music describes the end of the world, a following post-apocalyptic environment and finally a new beginning. Musically the different movements draw inspiration form a wide range of sources, most notably György Ligeti Olivier Messiaen, and John Coltrane, but also Sunn O))) and The Beatles.
:black101:

A Sloth fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Oct 4, 2012

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Hey Het, I know you aren't allowed to say who bought what avatar. But can you at least confirm it wasn't you that changed it? Because if it wasn't you, it's the first time someone has gotten angry enough at my posting to waste :10bux: on a dumb avatar. That's a goon's rite of passage, like growing your first neckbeard or making GBS threads your pants as an adult.

Not WitTR, since I know I've heard those comparisons. For some reason, I just never could really get into them.

Skagos
Anicon

Also what WITTR did you try out? I don't want to force them on you, but I didn't truly love them until I heard Two Hunters, that album is just incredible.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Two Hunters and Diadem of Twelve Stars are their best albums in my opinion, although I do like their other work as well. For bands kind of like Panopticon (I can't think of any who incorporate bluegrass influences if that's what you're after) check out Lake of Blood and Alda, maybe Ash Borer and Fell Voices.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Achtung! Panzer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7xewQUdk0w

quote:

In October 2007 Shining toured Europe as support for the progressive black metal band Enslaved. The concerts usually ended with the two bands doing a cover version of King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man. After seeing a video of one of these covers, the programme committee of Moldejazz commissioned the two bands to write and perform a 90-minute work together.

:black101:

WHAT. This is incredible, I'm a huge Crimso fan. That concerto is loving awesome as well, thanks for the heads up!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

nomapple posted:

Skagos
Anicon

Also what WITTR did you try out? I don't want to force them on you, but I didn't truly love them until I heard Two Hunters, that album is just incredible.
I had Diadem of 12 stars. I didn't dislike it, it just never grabbed me.

Thanks for the recommendations. I had forgotten about Ash Borer.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I had Diadem of 12 stars. I didn't dislike it, it just never grabbed me.

Celestial Lineage is better. Try their newer stuff.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Also you might want to check out Dødsengel. Especially their 2012 album Imperator which is like two and a half hours long.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
I was trawling through metal blogs and I found out about a band called I'm In A Coffin. I'm assuming it's a joke on the whole Xasthur popularity explosion a few years ago, but I still kinda enjoy it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B43ksUwTYw

My ex girlfriend is giving me an extremely rare Conqueror shirt because it's too big for her. Things are rad.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I was trawling through metal blogs and I found out about a band called I'm In A Coffin. I'm assuming it's a joke on the whole Xasthur popularity explosion a few years ago, but I still kinda enjoy it:

This one too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEx9O9EzPFw

satan is my oppa
Feb 18, 2012
Weird poo poo in black metal rules!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o1zA1ELxZs

I don't know how banjos could be anything but snotty ironic hipster douchery, though. Unless it was some kind of southern US ethnic infused BM. Actually that would be great.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Taake can make anything unironically rule. See the Boioioing sound effect he uses in one of his tracks.

Is anyone here familiar with Book of Sand? I loving love him. He uses a lot of cello, and a lot of completely non-bleck metal sounds in general.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Taake can make anything unironically rule. See the Boioioing sound effect he uses in one of his tracks.

Is anyone here familiar with Book of Sand? I loving love him. He uses a lot of cello, and a lot of completely non-bleck metal sounds in general.

The boioioioing sound effect makes me laugh every time. Fantastic album though.

Just out of interest, what do people think of Rotting Christ's recent material? Personally, I really like it, but I keep seeing them booked for shows where it's billed as a "FIRST 3 ALBUMS AND DEMOS ONLY" set. Do most people not like the later stuff? I don't think it sounds that different to be honest, just more polished.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

satan is my oppa posted:

I don't know how banjos could be anything but snotty ironic hipster douchery, though. Unless it was some kind of southern US ethnic infused BM. Actually that would be great.

You're correct:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAUtCa13V38

And also incorrect:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj_CwKxZMno

Banjos are both folky and kvlt.

satan is my oppa
Feb 18, 2012
That's amazing. I'm a better person for having heard this.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Panopticon is SO AWESOME. The song "Black Soot and Red Blood" is amazingly emotional, what with the miner speaking sample in the middle. Great great stuff. Kinda funny, the guy's name is Austin Lunn - when he moved to Kentucky, he found a guy to room with, whose name was also Austin Lunn. The latter Austin Lunn became the former Austin Lunn's producer and sound engineer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

I like this.

quote:

And also incorrect:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj_CwKxZMno

Banjos are both folky and kvlt.

But this sounds horribly jarring to me. Guess I'm going to check out more Panopticon. :v: